Old Hiking Place ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: 

 

 

 

*.☽.*

3:25 PM.

It was a perfect, late summer afternoon.

Leisurely riding my bike on the outskirts of the town, I admired the trees on either side of the empty road that served as the entrance to the woods. I closed my eyes as I pedaled, confident of my balancing skills.  The cool summer breeze gently brushed my face and made my hair dance. I inhaled, certainly loving moments like this.

This was my mom's hometown. To say that I liked it here was an understatement. I could not help but fall in love with it. This was where she grew up and as a child, I had a lot of memories of this place. I wished we could have stayed when I turned fifteen, my father's job was relocated to Australia and our family composed of my dad, mom, and an older sister had to leave this beautiful town. 

I resumed and finished my studies in Sydney, Australia. I took up Interior Design and immediately landed a good job. However, after a couple of years, my work life was so hectic as I was getting a lot of projects. Professionally, it did sound and feel great but the busier I got, the more I thought I was missing on something else. What it was, I didn't know exactly just yet.

Eventually, I decided to quit and told my parents that everything was a bit too fast for me. I explained that I didn't have enough time to take a good, deep breath as soon as I graduated. When they asked about my plan, I said I wanted a brief hiatus. I wanted to go back to South Korea in the meantime. Returning to our home country seemed the least they expected from me. They didn't like the idea, of course, especially my mom who thought my life was already great in Australia. They were against the idea for weeks but I knew in my heart, mind, and soul that this move was necessary. 

Well, edit the drama out, they eventually allowed their youngest daughter.

That's why at 28 years old, I was finally back at my favorite place in South Korea. After three months after I came back, my gut told me that I made the right decision. It's a typical Korean countryside, for some they might not find anything special about it, but I couldn't ask for anything else. Unlike the frenzy-filled cities, I love how it's so quiet here. Even the town proper where all the stores were located was less crowded. For someone who finds Nature therapeutic, the hiking trips and other recreational activities I experienced here were the best. I, literally, could not ask for more. My heart tells me, I am at the right place, at the right time.

The people were quite approachable too which was a bonus! I lived with Aunt Sunny and her husband Uncle Jin Woo with their twelve-year-old, middle schooler daughter, Jihye. Aunt Sunny's my mom's younger sister and the one managing a flower shop called Areumdaun. Originally my grandmother's, the flower shop had been here for about thirty-five years. Being in a small town, it's quite in demand around here. It had become the residents' go-to flower shop for all occasions. Uncle Jin Woo's a famous mechanic in town, running his shop. He's a quiet type but kind nonetheless. Lastly, my cousin Ji Hye's your cute, typical teenager. She's sweet, smart, and an avid fan of music.

Spending time with them was great. They treated me like I was truly a part of their family. I also enjoy helping my aunt out at the flower shop. However, from time to time like right now, I informed her that I'd go to the old hiking place which was thirty-five minutes away from the town center. Most of the time, she was reluctant to let me go alone, probably afraid I might get lost since I was unfamiliar with the place. If I had memories of the place, it was when I was still a child, so I understood her. 

*.☽.*

I stopped cycling when I saw the now-familiar trail on the right side of the isolated road. A small cleared area served as the entrance to the old hiking place. On the left side was old signage with faded, unreadable letters that I didn't bother figuring out anymore. The place changed a lot and I hardly recognized it at first. I remember my mom taking me and my sister here for a hike when we were young. It's probably one of the most memorable childhood memories I have.

I hopped off my bike and started to walk on. The trails were not that neat anymore but they were still there. I needed them to be visible or  I'd get lost every time. Thankfully today, this was my fourth time coming here since I arrived. So, I was confident I would not get lost like how it took me two hours-and-a-half to find my way to the top. Of course, aside from the unfamiliarity of the place, I blamed it on my direction-challenged self which I intentionally hid from my aunt at first. 
 

*.☽.*

I followed the trails for about twenty minutes and although I came prepared for the hike wearing a comfortable loose, white T-shirt paired with jeans and black sneakers, my bike started to trouble me as I started to take the slightly uphill route. I left it where I usually have it and leaned it next to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter