Two

Linger

Warning: Mention of miscarriage (a very tiny, tiny bit)

 

Quite satisfied how this turned out :))

 

--

 

Present

Seoul

 

“How have you been?”

 

Baekhyun continued to stare down at his coffee as he stirred it, shoulders shrugging in response.

 

“I’ve had better days,” he replied with a wry smile. He looked up to see Jongin gazing at him with something akin to sympathy. It was nice to have Jongin as company after not having seen him for almost a year.

 

“How’s Kyungsoo?” Jongin wondered, leaning forward on the table.

 

Baekhyun glanced down at the table once more, the thought of his sickly son crossing his mind. He managed a small smile when his mind conjured the image of his son’s bright smile.

 

“He’s doing much better. Doctor says he just needs to stay a few more days for observation, but he’s definitely showing signs of improvement.”

 

“I’m glad to hear that,” Jongin breathed out a sigh of relief.

 

“How long has he been dating her?” Baekhyun asked suddenly. It didn’t take much to know what he was referring to.

 

“Almost a year, now,” Jongin said, watching Baekhyun’s reaction. He gave nothing away of his emotions, eyes blank as he nodded.

 

“What should I do?” Baekhyun wondered aloud. He wasn’t expecting an answer, and Jongin didn’t have one either.

 

“Maybe you should tell him,” Jongin suggested anyway.

 

“I should,” Baekhyun sighed. “But will he hate me if I did?”

 

--

 

Past

Busan

 

“And what if we have a baby? What would happen, then?”

 

“This really isn’t the time to start a family, Baekhyun. You know that.”

 

He tried to shrug off the hurt that came with how exasperated and annoyed Chanyeol sounded. Was it so wrong to want something of his own?

 

“Of course I do,” Baekhyun said with a slight frown. “I’m just saying, I need to know your plans. We’re married, aren’t we? Whatever decisions there are to be made, we have to make them together.”

 

“Well you know my plans since we were kids. You know it’s always been my dream to make music. Can’t you just be happy for me?”

 

“I am,” Baekhyun said softly, wrapping his arms tightly around his husband’s shoulders. “I’m very proud of you.”

 

--

Present

Busan

 

“He’s what?!”

 

Baekhyun hugged the pillow close to his chest, sighing as he repeated, “He’s getting married. He’s asked me to sign the divorce papers.”

 

“That son of a ,” Sehun muttered murderously. “And? What are you waiting for? Sign the damn papers and move on!”

 

“It’s not that simple,” Baekhyun worried his lip. He tried to ignore the look of exasperation Sehun threw at him.

 

“What do you mean it’s not simple?” Sehun mocked. “He’s made it clear that he’s moved on! Why are you still waiting around for him to come back after five years of nothing?!”

 

“Sehun, calm down,” Minseok interjected, shooting him a look. Baekhyun pressed the palms of his hands into his eyes, feeling an oncoming headache.

 

“I’m over him, alright?” Baekhyun said even if it didn’t sound very convincing. “I just. I can’t have this turning into a mess.”

 

“It won’t,” Minseok said reassuringly. “If you sign them, it’ll finally give you some closure.”

 

“Will it?”

 

“He’s been absent from your lives for five years. A divorce would just make things official.”

 

--

Present

Seoul

 

“Should I take a trip to Busan?”

 

Jongin froze, his hands paused at where they’d been sorting out some documents.

 

His heart raced at the implication but he kept his voice steady as he said, “What do you mean? You haven’t been back in years. Why the sudden urge to visit?”

 

“My past came back to pay me a visit. Shouldn’t I return the favour?” Chanyeol said with a smirk, twirling the glass of whiskey in his hand.

 

Jongin rolled his eyes. “You have no business being there,” he said as a matter-of-factly.

 

“Well, I’ve got to claim the divorce papers from my beloved estranged husband. It’s been a little over a week and I haven’t heard anything.”

 

“I’m sure he’s almost done. Have a little more patience.”

 

“No,” Chanyeol said resolutely, hands already working on bringing up the website to book KTX tickets for the weekend. “I think I want to repay the favour and drop by for a surprise visit.”

 

Chanyeol startled when Jongin held his arm, looking down at him seriously. “Leave him alone, Chanyeol. I mean it.”

 

“Why? What is he so afraid of that he even has my manager trying to buy him more time?” Chanyeol’s smirk only grew, a cold look in his eyes. “It can’t be that he’s still hung up over me, can it?”

 

“You don’t know the half of it,” Jongin said quietly. “Just, please don’t give him any trouble, alright?”

 

“If he refuses to give it up, I can’t promise anything.”

 

--

 

Present

Busan

 

Baekhyun walked out of the hospital, a basket of fruits in one hand, his other hand gripped tightly onto his son’s own.

 

“Are you excited to get home?” Baekhyun asked with a smile.

 

“Yes!” Kyungsoo replied with more enthusiasm than Baekhyun had seen in the past few weeks. He was much better than he had been but Baekhyun wasn’t taking any chances.

 

“You can have ice cream when you get home but only one scoop, okay? You don’t want to spend more time in the hospital, do you?”

 

“No, daddy,” Kyungsoo shook his head solemnly, shuddering slightly. “Staying in bed all day is no fun.”

 

“I’m sure the nurses kept you entertained, though,” Baekhyun said warmly, tugging him closer into his side. “But daddy’s happy to have you back home as well.”

 

--

 

Baekhyun stared at the papers before him, sighing for the hundredth time. He ran a hand down his tired face, glancing around the empty restaurant. The last of his employees had left almost an hour ago and he knew he should get home to his son, but the closed restaurant was the only place he could have a bit of peace to think things through.

 

Would it be fair to Kyungsoo if he were to sign them? It wouldn’t even make much of a difference considering Chanyeol didn’t know of his existence. But a part of him wished he could just tell him. His heart ached knowing Kyungsoo often wondered why he was the only one with one parent instead of two. He’d cried himself to sleep knowing Kyungsoo craved for a father’s love.

 

His phone vibrated from an incoming call and he picked it up with a weary sigh. “Yes?”

 

“Baekhyun,” Minseok said gravely. “I think you should get home. Right now.”

 

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asked, panicked as he gathered his things and hurried for the door. “Is it Kyungsoo? Is he okay? What happened?”

 

“Kyungsoo’s fine. It’s— you have a visitor…”

 

--

 

Baekhyun bit hard on his lip, arms folded tight across his chest as he sat slumped on the sofa. Across him, Chanyeol was staring at him with a deep frown, betrayal bright in his eyes.

 

“Were you ever going to tell me?” It’s the first thing he’s said since Baekhyun hurried through the doors. Minseok was standing a few feet away, eyes glancing nervously between them both. Sehun looked like he was ready to lunge at Chanyeol, the only thing keeping him from doing so was Kyungsoo gripping tightly onto the ends of his sweater.

 

“Sehun,” Baekhyun said wearily, “Could you read Kyungsoo’s bedtime story?”

 

Sehun relaxed his stance, gripping onto his nephew’s hand. Baekhyun got up slowly, kneeling before Kyungsoo and pulling him into a tight hug.

 

“Uncle Sehun’s going to read your bedtime story for tonight, alright?” He kissed him on the forehead before releasing him.

 

“Okay daddy,” Kyungsoo said sweetly, rubbing at his tired eyes as Sehun led him away, sending one last glare at the unwanted guest.

 

“Baekhyun – ”

 

“Minseok hyung,” Baekhyun said quietly, heading towards the door, “I’ll be at the park.”

 

He glanced towards his estranged husband, “Let’s talk.”

 

--

 

“Why are you here?” Baekhyun kicked the dirt beneath his shoes, swinging lightly, eyes staring at his shoes.

 

“Is he—is he mine?” There was so much confusion in his tone. Baekhyun felt sorry.

 

“What does it matter?” Baekhyun said instead.

 

“What does it matter?” Chanyeol’s loud voice echoed in the empty park as he paced across the dirt. Baekhyun winced, refusing to look up. “Of course it ing matters! ! If he’s—if he’s my son…

 

“You should have ing told me,” Chanyeol shook his head, muttering angrily.

 

“Would you have changed your mind?”

 

“What?”

 

Baekhyun breathed in deeply, finally looking up from his shoes. “Would you have stayed if I had told you about him?”

 

Chanyeol’s hesitation didn’t go unnoticed by Baekhyun who knew he shouldn’t have expected anything else. “Of course I would have stayed,” he murmured, anger dissipating with the slump of shoulders. In its place came the overwhelming disappointment and sorrow. “He’s my son.”

 

“And then what?” Baekhyun bit back bitterly. “You would have stayed but you wouldn’t have achieved your dream. We would have tied you down to this place, this stupid, useless town that you’d worked so hard to leave. You would have resented us.” Resented me. “I couldn’t let that happen. You could hate me all you want but I couldn’t make you hate your own son.”

 

Chanyeol shook his head in disbelief. “So you thought it was your right to make a decision? Where’s my say in this?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said sincerely. He was just so tired, thinking about all the what ifs. “I know you deserved to know, and I made a mistake by keeping him from you. But you made your choice when you left.”

 

“You made it loud and clear you wanted nothing to do with me anymore.” Baekhyun jumped off the swing, dusting his jeans as he slowly trudged towards home.

 

“His name’s Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said quietly, “He’s not my boy toy. He’s my son.” He didn’t spare a glance back as he went on his way.

 

--

 

He lied on his back with a hand under his neck, sleepless as he stared up at the ceiling. It had been hours since he found out about his son. A five-year-old. Five years he could never get back. His heart ached knowing he lived all those years not knowing he had a son. He’d missed his birth, his first words, first steps. The thought continued to haunt him.

 

He was sad, disappointed. More than anything he was angry. How could Baekhyun hide it from him for this long?

 

Grunting in frustration, he grabbed his phone from his bedside table.

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

“Did you know?”

 

“Know what?” Jongin sounded confused on the other end of the line but Chanyeol had a feeling he knew.

 

“About Baekhyun. That he had my son. Kyungsoo.”

 

The silence was answer enough for him. Chanyeol’s hands trembled in anger. “Set an appointment with my lawyer for tomorrow. I want full custody of my son.”

 

Chanyeol—

 

He ended the call despite Jongin’s repeated pleas. With an aggravated cry, he threw the phone across the room at a wall and watched as it broke into pieces.

 

--

 

Present

Busan

 

“You couldn’t get through to him?” Baekhyun asked sadly, massaging the bridge of his nose as he leaned against the counter of the cashier. Sehun glared at him, broom in hand, his duty of sweeping the restaurant floors long forgotten.

 

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun. He wouldn’t answer my calls or reply my messages.”

 

“It’s fine, Jongin. I’ll handle it from here. Thanks again.”

 

“Anytime. I wish there was more I could do to help.”

 

As soon as the call ended, Baekhyun buried his face in his hands, eyes watering. Sehun was there in an instant, pulling him into a fierce embrace.

 

“I’m going to kill him,” he muttered angrily. “I swear I’m gonna ing kill him.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head as he wept, burrowing himself further into Sehun’s chest. “Was it my fault? Should I have told him when I first knew?”

 

“Of course not! He made it ing clear he wanted nothing to do with you. That includes Kyungsoo. You raised him! All on your own! That has no right to take that away from you!”

 

“Then why does it feel like he’s punishing me for it? I just did what I thought was best for myself and my son.”

 

“Daddy!” Baekhyun quickly pulled away from his brother, wiping at his eyes and smiling brightly as he welcomed his son with a hug.

 

Jongdae trailed behind with a smile but shot him a look when he noticed the trail of tears on his cheeks.

 

“Did you have fun at school today?”

 

“Mrs. Kim said my drawing was good!” Baekhyun took the portrait from Kyungsoo’s hands, grinning as he admired the work. They were all stick figures but he could tell who were in it. There was him holding hands with Kyungsoo, there was Minseok and Jongdae sitting on the front porch. And there was Sehun standing taller than the rest. Baekhyun swallowed back another wave of tears.

 

Kyungsoo’s life was here, with him. Chanyeol had no right to barge in and take that away from him.

 

“We had to draw our family so I drew you and I, and then there’s Uncle Minseokkie and Dae-Dae. And look! Uncle Sehun!” Kyungsoo giggled happily, beaming proudly at his work.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun began, kneeling in front of his son as he held his hands and looked into his eyes. “You’re happy here with daddy, right?”

 

“Yes!” Kyungsoo grinned. For a brief moment Baekhyun saw the image of Chanyeol in his son. There was no denying that Chanyeol will forever be a part of him. But could he trust that Chanyeol wouldn’t hurt Kyungsoo the way he had hurt him? Chanyeol could hurt him a hundred times over but he would do anything to protect his son.

 

Gathering what little courage he had in his heart, Baekhyun took a deep breath as he said, “Do you remember that time you asked me if you had an appa?”

 

--

 

Past

Busan

 

“You did well,” Minseok murmured. He brushed the hair out of his eyes and planted a kiss on his sweaty forehead.

 

“Thanks,” Baekhyun breathed, eyes glistening with tears as he glanced around expectantly. “Can I see him yet?”

 

Minseok shook his head sadly. “They need to keep him under observation. You can see him once you’re better, okay?”

 

Tears spilled over as Baekhyun gripped his brother’s arm. The wounds from the surgery were still raw but what hurt more was the fact that he couldn’t hold his baby in his arms. 

 

“What’s wrong with him?”

 

--

 

Present

Busan

 

“Can I come in?”

 

Chanyeol gave him a hard stare, regarding him for a long second before he stepped aside to let him in.

 

“If you’re here to change my mind about fighting for full custody of my son then you’re only wasting your time.” He crossed his arms as he waited for a response.

 

Baekhyun held his gaze as he shook his head. “You don’t understand.”

 

“What’s there to understand?” Chanyeol scoffed. “You hid the fact that I had a son from me for five years. I didn’t even know of his existence till a few days ago. Is that fair to me?”

 

“I’ll do anything you ask,” Baekhyun pleaded softly, eyes desperate. “I’ll pay you back with interest. I won’t tell anyone about the divorce, nobody will know you were ever married, or you had a son. Just. Please. Don’t take Kyungsoo away from me.”

 

“See,” Chanyeol began in a condescending tone. “You have the opportunity to beg for the rights to your son right now. I never got the chance. What makes you think I would give up on it just because you said ‘please’?”

 

“I tried to tell you.” Tears began to spill over as they trailed down his cheeks. He glanced at the carpet, wiping at his tears as the memory came crashing in waves. “The day you left, I pleaded for you to stay.”

 

--

Past

Busan

 

“Chanyeol please don’t leave. Please. I’m begging you.”

 

“This isn’t working out, Baekhyun. Whatever you say, it won’t change my mind. I’ve worked too hard for this, and it feels like you’re not on my side anymore.”

 

Whatever you say, it won’t change my mind.

 

Baekhyun held a hand over his stomach, watching as Chanyeol packed his clothes, grabbing almost everything from their shared closet. He watched, feeling nauseous and helpless, as his husband walked out of his life.

 

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun. I really am. But you’re making me choose, and… I just. I can’t.”

 

--

 

Present

Busan

 

Chanyeol felt like his world had been pushed off its axis at the revelation. He gaped at Baekhyun, feeling faint as he took a staggering step forward.

 

“Why didn’t you just tell me?” He whispered brokenly. “I-I was an . I don’t even remember half the things I said to you. All I know is that I felt like you were tying me down to this place and I felt suffocated.”

 

“I couldn’t do that to you,” Baekhyun said quietly. He wasn’t even trying to stop his tears anymore. They flowed, silent and relentless. “You’re stubborn when you set your mind to something. And I guess I couldn’t love enough for the both of us.”

 

Chanyeol stepped forward, reaching out uncertainly for him with a hand. Baekhyun closed his eyes as it caressed his face, warm and calloused.

 

“I never really stopped loving you,” Chanyeol revealed. The confession hung heavy in the air, and Baekhyun wondered for a moment if he had been the one to utter those words. After all, he felt the same way.

 

When he opened his eyes, Chanyeol was inches from his face, searching his eyes for permission.

 

“Why can’t you be selfish for once in your life, Byun Baekhyun? Why do you always let me break every promise? Why do you say it’s okay when it’s not?” Chanyeol murmured, moving in closer.

 

“I just want you to be happy.” It was a simple statement but Baekhyun’s known all his life that it’s what he would always want for Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol’s lips were on his own in the next second, as soft and plump as he’d remembered. His lips moved against Chanyeol’s like second skin, his body reacting in a way that it’s always remembered Chanyeol.

 

When they pulled away, Chanyeol’s hands were heavy on his waist, his own gripping the idol’s jawline. They were both panting as they gazed into each other’s eyes; years of pent up frustration poured into a single kiss.

 

“We can’t go back to the way things were,” Baekhyun shook his head, gently prying himself out of those arms.

 

“I’m sorry I pushed you away,” Chanyeol whispered, letting his arms fall limp at his sides.

 

“I didn’t come here to take advantage of you, or to guilt-trip you into giving up your rights as a father,” Baekhyun said, glancing at his estranged husband. Chanyeol looked so defeated all he wanted was to pull him into a hug.

 

“I understand that you want to be in Kyungsoo’s life but all I ask for is that you don’t take him away from me. He’s all I have, Chanyeol.”

 

--

 

Past

Busan

 

“It’s hard to tell but it would be a miracle if he pulls through the night. All we can do now is leave it to fate. We’ll know when morning comes.”

 

“I understand. Thank you.”

 

“Baekhyun,” Minseok held his hand, squeezing it gently. His voice shook with emotions, but he managed to keep it steady to stay strong for his brother. “We’re here if you need anything.”

 

Baekhyun nodded numbly, pushing his way through everyone else to get into the children’s ward. He was shrouded by a sense of serenity as soon as his eyes fell upon his son, sleeping peacefully despite being hooked to numerous machines.

 

He slid onto the chair beside the bed and leaned into the crib, hands enveloping tiny, soft ones.

 

“You can’t leave me,” he murmured. “You can’t.”

 

--

 

Present

Seoul

 

“And what’s the price you can quote me for now?” Baekhyun bit at his finger. “Ah, that’s the lowest you can go? I see… Uhm, I’ll give you a call once I’ve decided. Thank you.”

 

Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair as he stared at the countless number of crosses on the paper laid out in front of him.

 

“Daddy!” Kyungsoo traipsed into the kitchen with a bucket almost as big as him in his arms. “We caught many fish today!”

 

Baekhyun quickly relieved him of the bucket and set it beside the sink.

 

“Thanks, Soo ah. We can have seafood for dinner tonight.” He patted his son’s . “Go on, wash your hands and go get changed.”

 

“I know someone whose friend’s a pro bono divorce lawyer. I could give her a call?” Sehun cocked an eyebrow as he caught the disarray of papers on the kitchen table. “From what I’ve heard, she’s pretty good.”

 

Baekhyun’s lips turned down at the corners as he leaned against the counter. “I don’t know. I just feel like I can never win against him no matter how hard I try. I mean, he’s got the money for it. He could easily get full custody without much of a fight.”

 

“Do you need me to talk some sense into him?” Sehun offered. Baekhyun gave a wry smile, shaking his head.

 

“I might end up having to engage a lawyer that specializes in manslaughter instead.”

 

Sehun gasped, scandalized. “You think I’m capable of it?”

 

“When it comes to Park Chanyeol I’m sure you’re very much capable,” Baekhyun quipped.

 

“Can’t disagree,” Sehun nodded as a matter-of-factly.

 

Sehun frowned at the floor, deep in thought. He glanced back up after a moment. “I have some savings. It’s not much, but if Minseok hyung and I pool our resources—”

 

“No,” Baekhyun said firmly.

 

“But—”

 

“But nothing. I’ll figure something out. Don’t worry about it, alright?”

 

Sehun sighed, shaking his head in defeat. “How can I not worry? I’ve seen what his departure did to you. I don’t want to see it happen again. Not when I can help it.”

 

--

 

Present

Seoul

“Chanyeol, it’s not looking so good right now.” Jongin paced the room, fingers working quick over the hundreds of messages that had been bombarding his phone since the wee hours of the morning.

 

The idol lit up a cigarette as he held his phone in a hand, eyes skimming over different articles, all reporting the same thing.

 

Jongin paused when he smelled the smoke, looking up for a brief second. “You know you can’t—never mind.”

 

“They didn’t get his face,” Chanyeol commented, trying to stay positive. Besides, in most of the badly taken pictures, his own identity remained ambiguous.

 

“And for how long would it stay that way?” Jongin questioned, shaking his phone in front of the idol’s face. “They’re going to find out eventually.”

 

“They’ll find out anyway once I win full custody.”

 

Jongin bit his lip to suppress his disappointment. “Are you really going through with it? I’m asking you as a friend. As Baekhyun’s friend.”

 

“I mean,” Jongin continued in a rational voice, “I know you’re upset he kept it from you. But don’t you think that’s going too far?”

 

Chanyeol took another drag of his cig before putting it out, massaging his nose as he closed his eyes. “Honestly, I only did it because I was sure Baekhyun wouldn’t let me anywhere near him.”

 

“Can you blame him?” Jongin scoffed. “I know you were both hurt. Your marriage hasn’t been the best. But Kyungsoo… he was conceived out of love. If the circumstances were different maybe things would have turned out better.”

 

Chanyeol sat hunched over on the sofa, contemplating his manager’s words. Jongin moved to sit across him.

 

“I still love him, Jongin,” Chanyeol confessed, head falling into his hands. It should feel liberating. Instead it just felt like the words were weighing down on his chest.

 

“Do you remember your vows on your wedding day?” Jongin said suddenly.

 

“I promise to make you happy and never make you cry.”

 

It was a simple promise, but it was one he couldn’t keep.

 

“You’ve broken it a hundred times over,” Jongin said, making him feel even more terrible than he already was feeling. “He has always put your happiness before his own. If there’s one thing you can do for him, it’s to make sure he never loses Kyungsoo. That’s the only thing you’ve left him with, Chanyeol. Don’t take that away from him, too.”

 

--

 

Present

Busan

 

“Uncle Sehun said a bad word when he was fixing my scooter,” Kyungsoo said conversationally, sipping at his orange juice.

 

“Really?” Baekhyun frowned, their arms swinging lightly between them.

 

“Mm-hmm,” Kyungsoo his lips. Baekhyun paused in his steps to wipe the corner of his mouth with the sleeves of his sweater, an affectionate look in his eyes. His lips were plump, unlike his own which were thin. Baekhyun could only guess where he’d got it from.

 

“Your uncle Sehun’s a bad influence,” Baekhyun tutted as he pulled them along the sidewalk.

 

“But he’s fun.” Kyungsoo grinned.

 

“I bet he is,” Baekhyun sighed before muttering under his breath, “He’ll probably be the one to teach you how to hot wire a car when you’re 18.”

 

“Look, daddy! There’s that ahjusshi that came last week!”

 

Baekhyun glanced at the direction his son was pointing at, a knot forming in his stomach. He gathered his son into his arms, carrying him the rest of the way with wary steps.

 

“Hey.”

 

Baekhyun gripped his son close to him, as if afraid he might be taken away from him.

 

“What are you doing here?” Baekhyun wondered quietly. “If Sehun sees you here I can’t guarantee he won’t punch in the face this time.”

 

Chanyeol laughed but it sounded bitter. “I think I’d have deserved it.”

 

Baekhyun waited patiently, watching as Chanyeol struggled to find his words.

 

“Listen, I’ve decided not to go through with it.”

 

“What?”

 

“Uhm,” Chanyeol glanced at Kyungsoo who was staring at him with wide, curious eyes. He was overcome by a strange feeling as he stared into them. It reminded him a lot of himself when he was a young boy.

 

“Hi.” Chanyeol gave a little wave. Kyungsoo stared at him for a second before burrowing his face into Baekhyun’s chest.

 

“He’s just shy,” Baekhyun said with a small smile, running his hand through his son’s hair. “Come on, Kyungsoo. This ahjusshi’s a friend of daddy’s. Can you say hi?”

 

Kyungsoo seemed reluctant but after a bit of coaxing, he gave Chanyeol the tiniest wave.

 

“You can call him Uncle Chanyeol, okay?” He was disappointed at being called an uncle instead, but he figured they should take things slow.

 

Baekhyun struggled to reach into his pocket for his house keys.

 

“Can I?” Chanyeol offered uncertainly as he watched his estranged husband grapple with the keys. Baekhyun stared at the outstretched hand oddly. Chanyeol sighed, wondering if he’d screwed up so bad that Baekhyun wouldn’t even trust him with something as simple as keys anymore.

 

“Okay,” Baekhyun said after a long contemplation, handing over the keys. Chanyeol took them graciously, unlocking the doors.

 

“Can we talk about this after I’ve settled Kyungsoo?”

 

“Yeah, sure.” Chanyeol stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, unsure of what he should do as he watched Baekhyun head towards the bedrooms.

 

“You can come help me out,” Baekhyun called over his shoulder. “I mean, only if you want to.”

 

--

 

Chanyeol watched intently as Baekhyun dried Kyungsoo’s hair, smiling softly when Kyungsoo giggled continuously as Baekhyun sneaked in a few tickles to his tummy.

 

“Can I have a biscuit?”

 

“No, baby.”

 

“After dinner?” Kyungsoo negotiated. Chanyeol chuckled at the pout he pulled. He could only imagine how hard Baekhyun tried to become immune to it.

 

Baekhyun shook his head as he firmly said, “No. You managed to convince Uncle Sehun to get you some orange juice earlier. That’s enough sweet things for today.”

 

Kyungsoo pouted as a grumbled, “Okaayyy.”

 

“Chanyeol, could you hand me the powder, please?”  Chanyeol scrambled to do as he was told.

 

Baekhyun stared at the bottle in his hand in amusement. “This is insect repellent.”

 

“Oh,” Chanyeol reached out for it in embarrassment, handing the only other bottle over instead.

 

“There. You’re all set.” Baekhyun leaned in to kiss him on the cheek, ignoring Kyungsoo’s groans of disapproval.

 

“You can have half an hour of tv time before dinner.” Baekhyun held Kyungsoo by the shoulder as he steered him towards the sofa. With Kyungsoo settled, Baekhyun began picking up the toys that littered the house.

 

Chanyeol trailed behind, quietly helping out.

 

“You’re good with him,” Chanyeol murmured fondly.

 

“Thanks,” Baekhyun replied with a small smile.

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat. “I’ve decided I won’t pursue custody.” Baekhyun glanced up briefly before focusing his attention on tidying the place.

 

“All I’m asking is that you let me be a part of his life.” Baekhyun froze.

 

“I know I’ve hurt you. But I want to make things right. Starting with my son. Our son.” Baekhyun dumped the toys in his arms into the basket and turned around to face the idol. He stared at the rilakumma in the idol’s hands, lips curling into a small smile.

 

“Jongin bought that for Kyungsoo when he e.” Baekhyun reached out for it but paused when it seemed like Chanyeol refused to let it go.

 

“Jongin knew about him.” It wasn’t a question, more of a statement of disbelief.

 

“Yes,” Baekhyun said sadly. He had a lot of regrets. “Jongin was the first to know about him.”

 

“I—” he sighed. “I almost had a miscarriage,” he whispered, feeling as if he’d divulged a dirty little secret. “I almost lost the baby and it wasn’t even unintentional.”

 

“I didn’t care for it when you left. I thought it would have been better if I didn’t keep anything that would remind me of you.” His grip on the bear tightened.

 

“But Jongin talked me out of it.” Baekhyun swallowed thickly, his gaze meeting the idol’s. “Kyungsoo wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for him. You wouldn’t have a son.”

 

Chanyeol nodded numbly. It was a lot to process.

 

“I want to be there for Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol inhaled sharply, a lump forming quickly in his throat. Baekhyun bit his lips in contemplation, staring at his socked feet with arms defensive across his chest.

 

“I can’t risk Kyungsoo getting hurt.”

 

“I understand.” Chanyeol took a step closer. “But I’ve missed too much of his life. I want to be present for everything else.”

 

“How do I know you won’t break your promises like you always do?” Chanyeol winced at the challenge.

 

“I won’t,” he said almost pleadingly.

 

“Okay,” Baekhyun said, resigned. “Okay,” he repeated. Maybe it could work. “But if you hurt him it’s over.”

 

Chanyeol smiled, feeling like he could finally breathe.

 

“Chanyeol, I—thank you. Really. You don’t know how relieved I am.” Baekhyun murmured as they made their way back to Kyungsoo.

 

Chanyeol shrugged nonchalantly despite the warm feeling spreading through him. “I thought it’s best. It’s the least I could do after I—I treated you like . I know there’s nothing I could ever do to make up for the past five years but I hope this is a start.”

 

Baekhyun nodded slowly, joining Kyungsoo on the sofa. He motioned for Chanyeol to do the same. Overcoming his uncertainty, Chanyeol took Kyungsoo’s other side. He watched as Baekhyun and Kyungsoo laughed, feeling like he’d finally done something right for once in his life.

 

--