One

Linger

One

 

Past

Busan

 

“You’re really doing it? You’re really leaving…?”

 

“You can’t expect me to stay. This is my ticket out of this ing town!”

 

“But I’m your husband!”

 

“To be honest, you’re only holding me back.”

 

--

 

Present

Busan

 

“I still don’t think it’s a good idea.” He looked up to see Minseok leaning back against his dresser, arms crossed and a deep frown on his face. He sighed, turning his attention back to his duffel bag.

 

“I don’t really have much of a choice.” Baekhyun zipped up his bag and pushed up to his feet, meeting his older brother’s eyes. He was looking at him with sympathy, the same look he always gives Baekhyun when he was worried.

 

“You know, I could spare you some; business has been good. And Sehun could help out, even Jongin would loan you some with no questions asked –”

 

“Hyung,” Baekhyun cut him off, reaching out for his hand. “You’re starting a family. You’ll need it more, trust me. Sehun’s saving for his backpacking trip to Europe, and as much as Jongin’s like family, I really don’t want to bother him for this.”

 

Minseok looked like he was about to say more but he held it in when Baekhyun squeezed his hand, flashing him a small reassuring smile. “It’s okay, Minseok hyung. It’s about time I faced it head on.”

 

“…If you say so,” Minseok relented with a sigh. “Just promise me you won’t let him have the upper hand. I mean it.”

 

Baekhyun laughed, shaking his head. A part of him knew his promise would be broken; he has never been good at dealing with his past. Despite so, he promised, “I won’t.”

 

--

 

Present

Seoul

 

With a hand in his hair, she moaned against his lips, enjoying the feel of his hands all over her. He smirked as he watched her fall apart with lidded eyes. Just as he slipped a hand under her silk blouse, the door swung open and fellow label mate Minho walked in with a hand in the pocket of his trousers, a lazy grin on his face.

 

They broke apart, lips swollen, but she stayed seated in his lap.

 

“I’m guessing she said yes?” Minho’s smile widened as he looked expectantly at his friend.

 

“Why wouldn’t I?” Irene held her hand out, her red lips pulled back into a pretty smile. The ring glistened magnificently.

 

“Congrats, man!” Minho cheered as Chanyeol smiled bashfully. Nevertheless, he was proud that he could finally call his girlfriend his fiancé.

 

“This will be all over the tabloids by morning tomorrow.” Minho walked towards them, clasping his friend on his shoulder as Irene moved to her feet.

 

“I’m guessing it’ll be right there with ‘Park Chanyeol wins daesang for the fourth time in a row’.”

 

Chanyeol laughed, a proud smile on his face as Irene leaned in to give him a kiss on his cheek. “You bet it will.”

 

--

Baekhyun stepped out of the train, moving along with the crowd as his eyes flitted everywhere, making sense of the signs and finding his bearings. People were less friendly in Seoul, pushing and shoving to get to their destination. Baekhyun clutched his duffel bag closer into his side as he shuffled towards the taxi bay.

 

As soon as he got into an available taxi, he rattled off the address he’d managed to get a hold of after much searching, only to be met with a frown through the rear-view mirror.

 

“Are you sure that’s the right address?” the taxi driver, a man in his fifties, asked doubtfully.

 

“Uhm, yeah,” Baekhyun replied, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

 

“Only the wealthy live in that neighbourhood,” the taxi driver said conversationally. Nevertheless, he pulled away from the train station and onto the highway.

 

“I hope you’re having a wonderful evening! This next song is sure to warm your insides on this cold, winter night. It’s a song from the nation’s heartthrob. Here’s Park Chanyeol’s Miracles in December.”

 

Baekhyun froze, tensing at the mention of his name.

 

“Ah, this song really is heart warming,” the taxi driver said with a fond smile as the voice of his past filled the taxi, “No wonder he’s called the nation’s heartthrob. He sings with so much emotion. He deserves the love he gets from the nation.”

 

“I stop time, and go back to you.”

 

Swallowing the lump in his throat, he bit his lips. “He does,” he whispered, fists clenched at his sides.

 

--

 

Past

Busan

 

“I love you.”

 

Baekhyun giggled, grabbing a fistful of the man’s shirt to pull him in for a small kiss. “I love you too,” he whispered against his lips.

 

Chanyeol grinned dopily as Baekhyun pulled away slightly, keeping him close. “I’ve never been as happy as I am now.”

 

“You’d better!” Baekhyun teased with a laugh. “My husband,” he said fondly, reaching up to cup Chanyeol’s cheek. Chanyeol leaned into the touch with a small, contented sigh.

 

They turned their attention to the side where Sehun was clinking his flute of champagne with a dessert spoon.

 

“Alright, lovebirds, I’m going to steal the attention away from you just for a quick sec.” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at his younger brother but there was a tender look in his eyes.

 

“I’ve known Chanyeol since he made Baekhyun cry in first grade when he wouldn’t let him sit on the swings during recess.”

 

“You weren’t even old enough to talk,” Baekhyun muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes. Chanyeol laughed softly, rubbing his husband’s arm soothingly.

 

“I’m not gonna lie, I’ve hated Chanyeol for a long time. But I can’t disagree that he’s made my baby brother the happiest he’s ever been. Especially after we lost our parents. He was there for Baekhyun through everything. Chanyeol can be an sometimes but he’s totally whipped for my baby brother. That unwavering love he has for Baekhyun is what keeps me from wanting to strangle the out of him. To Chanyeol, you better take good care of Baekhyun. If you so much as to make him shed a single tear, I’ll hunt you down and teach you a lesson myself.”

 

Chanyeol looked utterly terrified at the threat that Baekhyun had to lean in and kiss his cheek to comfort him. “He’s younger than you, babe,” he whispered with a small laugh.

 

“Lastly, congrats lovebirds! Please make me an uncle soon! Juseyo!”

 

--

 

Present

Seoul

 

“Your schedule’s pretty packed tomorrow. The news of your engagement is out and the phone’s been ringing off the hook for the past few hours. You’re expected to make an official statement, following which you’ll be on all three major broadcasting channels for interviews. Remember, use this to promote your latest single – Chanyeol. Are you listening to me?”

 

All he got in response were the aggressive sounds of the buttons on the game controller. He looked over to see Chanyeol engaged in a furious game.

 

“Park Chanyeol,” Jongin sighed.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I got it,” Chanyeol replied, annoyed as he let out a frustrated sound when his character in the game died. The bright “GAME OVER” neon sign flashed on the screen. Right at that moment, the doorbell rang.

 

“Were you expecting someone?” Chanyeol raised an eyebrow at his manager.

 

Jongin looked guilty as he shook his head. “No, but you are.”

 

Chanyeol held his gaze, suspicion arising as he got off the sofa and made his way towards the door.

 

“Uhm, hi.”

 

Chanyeol froze as he stared at the man before him, weariness etched into the stranger’s forehead, droopy eyes plagued with exhaustion. His eyes ran over the man’s appearance, taking in the hunch in broad shoulders, dark hair falling into eyes.

 

“What are you doing here?” Chanyeol straightened his posture, the initial shock wearing off as quickly as it had come.

 

“We need to talk,” Baekhyun said with resolution despite the tiredness in his eyes. Chanyeol watched, for a moment, the mole above thin, pursed lips.

 

He said nothing as he left the door open and walked back inside. Baekhyun trailed after him, eyes cautiously taking in the luxurious setting. He felt small; out of place. Like he didn’t belong. A stain in Chanyeol’s impeccable life.

 

“I’ll be here at 6 tomorrow,” Jongin said as he gathered his things to give them some privacy.

 

“What do you need?” He turned his back for a second to light up a cigarette.

 

“I need your help,” Baekhyun’s voice was timid as he glanced at his feet. It had been years since they last met. The Baekhyun before him was a far cry from the bright, talkative boy he grew up with. The Baekhyun in front of him looked like he was afraid of him.

 

“Money?” Chanyeol asked with a slight scoff, blowing out smoke. Baekhyun winced at the hostility in his tone, grimacing as the smoke hit him in the face.

 

“I—yeah. I need some money.” Baekhyun tightened his hold on the strap of his old duffel bag. “Please.”

 

Chanyeol let out a laugh. A loud, derisive sound that Baekhyun had never heard.

 

“You? Begging for money? Never thought I’d see this day.” Chanyeol’s lips pulled up into a malicious grin. “But then again I can’t say I’m surprised. Byun Baekhyun, you’ve always been selfish.”

 

“You fought hard to keep my happiness to yourself. And now you’re trying to take away my money, too.” He felt satisfied seeing Baekhyun’s fists clenched at his sides as he quietly trembled in anger.

 

“You know what,” Chanyeol continued after a pause. There was a condescending smile playing on his lips as he took one last drag of his cig before putting it out on the expensive marbled ashtray on the coffee table. “I have a request.”

 

Baekhyun’s head snapped up, eyes bright with hope. “What is it?”

 

“I want you to beg for it,” Chanyeol smirked, folding his arms as he leaned against the counter behind him. “If my memory serves me right, I remember how good you used to be at begging.”

 

Baekhyun’s face flushed red with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. Chanyeol expected a slap to the face, screams of anger, or for him to storm out in disbelief. Instead, he watched in shock when the duffel bag dropped to the ground with a dull thud as Baekhyun sunk to his knees with his head bowed.

 

“Please. I need the money.”

 

Chanyeol regarded him for a moment. With the anger and irritation that was clouding his mind gone, Chanyeol could finally see the state Baekhyun was in. He looked sickly, his cheeks hollow and gaunt. The bags under his eyes seemed to weigh down on him. He was still pale as moonlight, but there was no longer a glow to his cheeks.

 

“Do you really need the money?” The words had left his mouth before he could stop them. Despite the knot in his stomach at the sight of how frail Baekhyun looked, he sounded mocking. Sardonic, even. “I know you can do much better than that pathetic excuse of an attempt.”

 

“Chanyeol, please. I need the money. I’m begging you, with all I have,” Baekhyun’s voice grew urgent, his shoulders shaking visibly. “I’ll pay you back in interest. Just – I really need the money.”

 

“That wasn’t so hard, was it?” Chanyeol grinned mockingly as he stared down at him with a cold look in his eyes. “Never pegged you to be a , Byun Baekhyun.”

 

He ignored the quiet sniffle as he turned his back on him. “I’ll grab the cheque book.”

 

--

“Thirty thousand dollars isn’t a small amount of money. What, were you conned into paying off lover boy’s debt?”

 

“It’s none of your business.”

 

“It’s my money, of course it is. So? You’ve got a new boy toy, is that it?”

 

“If you really want to know, yes. I need the money to save someone. I can’t live without him.”

 

“I always thought you were easy.”

 

Baekhyun sat on the curb, knees pulled to his chest as angry, frustrated tears quietly made its way down his cheeks. He tried his best to hold in his tears back at the apartment but as soon as he made it out he couldn’t hold it in any longer. He felt humiliated, disgusting. His phone rang in his pocket as he reached up to wipe his tears. He tried his best to keep his voice steady before answering the call, forcing a smile.

 

“Hey.”

 

“You didn’t call me. Didn’t I say to give me a call when you got to Seoul? I’ve been worried sick wondering if you’ve made it alright to the city!”

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said, staring down at his shoes, “I was just busy trying to find my way around.”

 

“Oh. Right. Forgot you were terrible in foreign places.” Baekhyun laughed. “So, how’s everything going? Have you done it?”

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes briefly, swallowing back tears. “Yeah,” he said, applauding himself for keeping his emotions in check.

 

“And? Did he give you any trouble?”

 

“No,” he lied through his teeth. “I managed to get the money from him, that’s what matters. Everything going alright there?” He changed the topic, tired of thinking about the encounter.

 

“Everything’s good here. You just concentrate on coming back home safe,” Minseok said. “Besides, Sehun found out about your little escapade. You’re lucky I managed to convince him to keep his in Busan. That idiot almost took the next train to Seoul to chase after you.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled, shaking his head at the thought of Minseok trying to keep their younger brother in check. “And Kyungsoo?”

 

“He misses you lots,” Minseok said, voice quiet but fond. “He says he’s excited that his curfew is half an hour later, but I know he can’t wait for you to get home.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes welled up at the thought of his son missing him. This was the first time he’s been away from his five-year-old and it hadn’t been easy. The moment he’d left home there was an inexplicable ache in his heart.

 

“I can’t wait to be back. Kiss him for me, will you?”

 

--

Past

Busan

 

“I’m going to miss you.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled as he tossed a few clothes into his open suitcase. Baekhyun grabbed them, folding them before arranging them neatly.

 

“I’ll only be gone for a week.” He sidled up beside his sulking husband, arms slithering around tapered waist as he kissed the side of Baekhyun’s head. “You know I can’t miss this audition, right? It’s SM! It’s a big deal.”

 

“We’ve never been apart for more than a few days,” Baekhyun countered, his pout deepening. Chanyeol slowly pushed him down into the mattress, his body heavy on Baekhyun’s. He held Baekhyun’s face in his hands and captured his lips in a slow, sweet kiss.

 

“Should we make the most of the time we have tonight, then?” Chanyeol whispered, voice low and heavy with arousal.

 

Baekhyun moaned as Chanyeol at his neck, grinding down heavily into him. “Let’s,” he whispered.

 

--

Present

Seoul

 

Baekhyun stared at the news on the screen, frozen in disbelief as he watched his husband make an official statement.

 

“The wedding will most likely be held in the summer. It’s Irene’s favourite season and we’ll be taking a short break to plan it. Please give us your blessings.”

 

 A wedding. Baekhyun’s heart trembled at the revelation. He couldn’t hear what else was being said over the loud sound of his heart beating. His phone vibrated from an incoming call. He stared at the name, still in shock. It rang continuously, and when it looked like he wasn’t going to give up, Baekhyun took a deep breath and connected the call with shaking hands.

 

“I’m assuming you’ve heard the news. As you know, I would be needing the divorce papers from you.”

 

“We agreed we would only stay separated,” Baekhyun said calmly, watching as his hand continued to shake.

 

“Well, I changed my mind. What’s the difference, anyway? We haven’t been together for years.”

 

“I understand,” Baekhyun choked out. “But I need some time to think about it.”

 

“Are you ing serious right now?”

 

“I said I’ll think about it,” Baekhyun said, firmer this time. There was an exasperated sigh on the other end of the line.

 

“Fine. Whatever. But if I don’t get an answer in a week I’ll personally come to you for the papers.”

 

--

Past

Busan

 

“Hey!”

 

Baekhyun startled, the tray he was holding almost slipping out of his hands. He turned to glare at the intruder, only to be met with the most handsome face, the smile he loves grinning at him so fondly.

 

“You almost gave me a heart attack, you little ,” Baekhyun cried, though there was no real bite to his words.

 

Chanyeol’s arms slid around his waist, holding him possessively.

 

“I love you,” he whispered seriously, gazing into his boyfriend’s eyes. Baekhyun blushed, remembering their conversation from the night before. It was the first time he’d uttered those three words. He had been a nervous wreck but Chanyeol had replied so effortlessly that Baekhyun’s heart started to calm.

 

“I know,” Baekhyun grinned teasingly.

 

“Say it,” Chanyeol urged, squeezing his side.

 

“You already know I do,” Baekhyun said softly, placing his tray on the table to grip onto taut arms.

 

“I want to hear it again,” Chanyeol whined childishly.

 

“I love you,” Baekhyun murmured just as Chanyeol leaned in to kiss him softly on the lips. “You know I always will.”

 

--