ok dude.

So It Goes

ANOTHER CLASS WITH XIAO GUI. I thought I would never have to be in the same class with him anymore. But today, we met in the Contemporary Performance class.

“I have one important announcement. Your last assignment will be a group performance.” The class cheers, except me.

I don’t see why we have to cheer on this.

 

Regular paper assignment requires less work than performance.

“You all have to perform at the mid exam day and the final exam day. The mid one is for me to monitor your progress. I’ll also tell you there if you have to change any aspect of your performance. Meanwhile, the final one will be watched by a lot of people. It’ll be held as a real concert.”

I get it. They love the spotlight.

Everyone is already moving here and there; sitting in groups while talking among themselves. Some are even standing, so I can’t get a look of the professor’s face.

The class has become very noisy even when it hasn’t ended yet.

“SILENCE!” The professor is mad. No wonder.

“I’ll be the one who chooses your teammates. Class dismissed.”

---

At the class’ wechat group, our representative’s just sent us a list of the group names. And as cliche as it sounds, I’m with Xiao Gui, in a duet.

Out of 50 people in the class, why him?

Prof. Han—that’s the name of the professor—has divided the class into 13 groups, which consist of 2, 4 or 6 people. We’re given the privilege to pick any song and create our own arrangement. But, the problem is that we have to showcase everything each member has. For example, in my group, Xiao Gui can rap and dance, while I can... sing, I hope. So, we have to perform rap, dance and sing.

I’m glad none of us can do acrobatics or martial arts.

“Yoo ugly!” He’s been calling me that since the weibo incident.

He flings his arm around my neck, but I raise it in reflex with my hand.

But, [as usual] I halt my hand and put his hand back on my neck, instead.

Because I’ve told myself to be obedient with this guy. That's what I can do for now since he still doesn't want to accept my money.

“What is it.” I scoffed.

Yes, it’s still not perfect yet.

“I have picked the song for our duo. Here.” He plugs one of his beats ear sets to my ear hole, then plays the song. It’s Rihanna’s This is What We Came For.

Since people have been saying that I resemble Rihanna; I love her, lol.

“Wait, isn’t this too fast? We have to sing and dance, right?”

“We can alter it. And by the way, I know from your body that you dance.”

“What? .” I wrinkle my face in disgust.

“Seriously? Ok sorry.” He chuckles. “But you love going with bomber jackets and even sweatpants to class.”

“Even non-dancers can already tell that you dance.” He adds.

I’ve been wearing sweatpants for a while now. Because I haven’t seen any girl wears that here, and not to mention that it’s deadly comfortable—like I just got off of my bed then go straight to class.

“You too. I know you can sing. From your voice.” I tell him.

“What are you up to with that?”

“I just want to say that,” I pause. “—in case I can’t dance, can we have another vocal-only song as a back up, please?”

“Huh? You serious now?”

“Yes, totally.” I sigh.

“Because I have this one confession I have to tell you this instant.”

“Whoa whoa whoa. Already?” He his bangs. His hair is silky and beautiful. Er, wait. Wake up!

Does he think he’ll look cool by that? I mean, in this context?

I frown. “I’ve stopped dancing for 3 years.”

“Ok...” He rolls his eyes.

But suddenly, he glares at me. “What??”

Slow.

“That is my confession. Feel free to be disappointed.” I pat his shoulder.

“Are you ok with that?” I ask him, just to make sure.

“O-ok. We’ll work on your dance.”

“You stuttered.”

“Of course, since it’s 3 years, dude.”

“Just what have you been doing for that long?” He mumbles.

“Don’t even try to guess.”

“Also, I’m not a dude.”

---

Xiao Gui has arranged the song and even choreographed the dance for both of us. He sent them to me 2 days ago, because he was out of Beijing for something.

It might sound unfair how I used to dance but I didn’t participate in making the dance at all. I was a cover dancer, so I haven’t really made any original. Ziyi made it instead, every time we had to, before.

I’ve checked both files Xiao Gui sent me, and they’re cool. The guide which’s sung by him is also nice. He seems to be an artist who knows his thing. Hands down.

---

This is our first rehearsal for the assignment. I’m in a white t-shirt, light grey sweatpants and white sneakers. Meanwhile, Xiao Gui is in a light brown hoodie, black sweatpants and grey sneakers. Maybe he wears a t-shirt below the hoodie, because he wants to add volume to his skinny figure, but I don’t know.

No too-much accessory this time. He’s getting more normal.

So he plays the song and starts dancing to it in front of the mirror. Since I had watched it few times, it’s easy to just follow along behind him. He’s shocked at first, but he just continues dancing with me until the song ends.

“Whoa you practiced it in two days?”

“I watched it yesterday, to be precise.”

“There’s no problem, then!” He grins. “Let’s try it more seriously.”

He re-plays the song and dances to it with all his might. I try to follow his energy. But my flaws are getting obvious here; I lost my control of breathings and steadiness. I start having a hard time to breathe when we almost reach the .

Maybe, these can be fixed before mid exam. But I’m not sure I can sing while doing all this.

I’m panting when he says, “So we need to boost your endurance.”

I just nod while still standing, eyes looking at the floor and palms resting on my knees.

I throw myself to the floor and sit on it. I open my shoes and put them aside.

Let the feet breathe for a moment.

I take out my phone from my bag then randomly play a game which I just discovered. It’s called Flow Free, and it’s cool, even if I haven’t purchased the full version yet.

It can kill your time in a more meaningful way than other puzzle game.

Lol, I love gaming.

---

My phone vibrates because of the reminder I set to consume my medicine. So I turn to take my shoes and go to the water tap at the field.

Wait, they’re nowhere in sight!

I turn to the only culprit possible. “Seriously?”

He giggles. “I’m holding one as hostage. You have to take the other one in the time I want.”

“Geez.” I sigh. “Do you have any water, by the way?”

“Nope.”

“I’ll drink first, then let’s do your childish thing.”

“Alright, whatever.”

---

I run to the water tap, with feet, because I’ve taken my socks off. I don’t want to hurt them with the dirt on my way—I was wearing white socks today.

The field was empty, maybe because it’s 4 pm?

So I walk to the tap, with the intention of drinking my medicine there. But it’s pretty hard without a bottle.

I should’ve brought one from home.

There’s one shining bottle in front of me—it’s placed right behind the tap and it’s the only one standing.

I just fill it with water and use it to drink the medicine. I’m using it by pouring it away from my lips—so it’s hygienic, I guess.

After I finish, I pour the excessive water, close the lid, and just put it back to where it was.

Empty and clean. No sign of being borrowed.

I turn to walk away, but—

“Are you done yet?”

Can I say “Oh my God” again for this one?

A very handsome guy is standing in front of me. He’s taller than my duet partner, y skin, and he’s got a great set of facial features. Everything I dream of in a guy are on his face; sharp jawline, obvious cheekbones, sharp nose with a cute tip, almond-shaped eyes, curled lashes—

Someone said that a guy with all the features girls dream of will look like a frankenstein.

But he/she’s totally wrong.

He holds both of my shoulders with his hands to gently move me to the side. Then, he takes the shining bottle and fills it with water. This view I'm getting is like a private pictorial session already.

After he finishes drinking, he turns to me. “Are you lost, probably?”

 

Wew his teeth are also nice.

I shake my head to snap myself out of it.

Apparently I’ve been standing beside him and still haven’t moved an inch.

“No, I’m not lost. I’ll just go now. Bye!” I add, “Thanks for the bottle and sorry!”

---

“What took you so long?” Xiao Gui asked.

“Some dreamy individual.” I look at the ceilings while smiling and exerting a slight girly hum.

“Whatever, I give you 5 minutes to run to the male dressing room, take your shoe, and run back here.” He blurts. “And, Go!”

“What? Male?”

“The time is already ticking.”

But where is the male dressing room?

I hurry to the field with all I might, for I think the room must not far from there.

---

Since it’s been 3 minutes already according to my watch, I turn around to find any student possible to ask about where the room is.

My eyes land on someone familiar; the handsome guy I met near the water tap.

“Excuse me, do you know where the male dressing room is?”

“Of course. It’s that room.” He points at the room with a blue door on his right.

“Ok thank you.” I rush there but then I realize that It would be very creepy if I just walk in without any preliminary explanation to everyone inside.

“You’re looking for someone?” I turn to the voice and see the previous guy.

“Actually, a certain dumbhead hid one of my shoes inside and he insisted that I should take it by myself.”

He chuckles.

“It’s ok I’ll help you.”

“I’ll check on the inside first.” He walks into the room, and in a few seconds, he peeks up from the door, eyeing me to go there.

He asks, “Is that the one?” My shoe was on top of the cupboard, very high for even this guy to reach.

Isn’t the running is what’s important? Why did he choose the male room? Why did he have to put it this high?

“Put your hands beside the cupboard. I’m going to drop it.”

He’s holding a mop upside down, so he can use its wood to reach my shoe and drop it to the side.

“Thank you very much!”

Once I’ve received the shoe, I start walking to the door. But before I reach it, he blurts, “I’m Yanjun by the way. Lin Yanjun.”

“It’s Liu Boxin here. See ya!”

---

“You’re 5 minutes late, turtle.” Xiao Gui is glued to his phone, most likely losing battling in the game.

“No. I’m late by 2 minutes only.”

“It’s unfair if you count it that way. I checked that when I arrived there, I spent 3 minutes. Then, for going back here, I spent 4 minutes.” I protested. “Who told you to put it so high anyway.”

I take a sit at the corner to gather my things and put them into my bag. “Besides, out of many rooms, why did you choose the one I obviously can’t get in without wasting time with like.... talking?”

“Then you’re good.” He muttered.

I just start walking to the door when he says, “You should do planks at home too. Report back to me each time you’ve done it. Everyday.”

“What?” I turn to him.

“I’ve sent you the link for a plank app. Download and link it to your number. I’ll know it if you slack off.”

He adds, “You have to sing while doing the plank.”

 


 

Revealed character

- the robinhood, Lin Yanjun.

 

Skip. but in case you wonder how she looks like lately: