tryouts.

So It Goes

hi just saying but this part is a little messy, feel free to skip it for now

I LEFT HER with the very-many gifts in her locker. She forced me to go back to my department and take a look at my own locker.

What kind of normal person would even leave something for me.

I mean, especially, on this lovely day?

I know I’ve been absolutely not lovely in class, by not interacting with anyone unless it’s something mandatory; borrowing notes.


I gave up long after the weibo incident. I used to be right-handed but because of the injury, I tried to use my left hand in class. Too bad, I still had a hard time writing things quickly lately, because most lecturers talked too fast.

So instead, I always borrow classmate’s notes—different person everyday—just to take a picture of them. It’s like how Xiao Gui did to mine before, although I don't shame the owner like him, duh.


It’s not that I don’t want to socialize with others. I just don’t have time for that. After class, it’s either work and/or dance with Xiao Gui. There’s this saying about college that I find to be very true:

There are three aspects that can never get along in college; social, life and health. You’ll always have to sacrifice one in order to boost another. It’s a matter of luck that you can boost two. Like, in my case, currently I prioritize my health and my life, therefore the social one is left out.

I’m considered lucky, then.

So, rather than feeling down by witnessing the sad reality—of having no chocolate—I chose to just skip the locker area and head to the practice room, since Xiao Gui texted me to go there earlier today.

---

“Where has ugly been today.” He asks that in a blank tone while playing something on his phone.

“I got some urgent matters.” I grab the chocolate box earlier to give it to him, just so I don’t have to turn diabetic by eating too much chocolate at home.

But hey, he’ll get the wrong idea by that. This’ll also become not a heart-warming news for the murderous girl. Thus, I decide to open the box and take half for him; the chocolates inside were 4 sets of biscuits, and I just took 2 for him.

I’ll just give the other half to some other guy.

“Happy Valentine's day by the way.” I hand him the biscuits. “You must’ve gotten like hundreds of chocolate today. But still, take this, I’m not in the mood for—“ He actually grabs them although he’s still busy with the phone.

Well that’s easy.” I sit on the floor beside him, muttering, “It was originally for—“

“Here.” He hands me a huge paper bag.

I take a look at the inside. It's a girl’s outfit; black shorts, black shiny crop tube top—more like sport braand burgundy bomber jacket. Wait, it's kind of see-through.

“This is so much skin to show off.” I comment, while unfolding the shorts. There’s also a black rope—but pretty long and complicated—slipped in the folding; it falls on my lap now. “What is this? A new kind of belt?”

It's worn on the thigh. Below the shorts.”

I gasp. “You’re really something.”

“Were you imagining a certain stripper when you're shopping?” I shake my head slowly, mocking him.

“Even without the rope, I already feel very uncomfortable. Although it’s still bearable.” I’m pinching the rope in front of my face. “And now with this, it’ll add a y aspect on the overall outfit!” I yell, in my own insecurities. Dejavu to my high school drama.

"Dumbhead." I grumble.

“That’s the fashion today, smarthead.” He’s also shaking his head, like pitying me, while still glued to the phone.

After making some clicks, he turns to me, “We have to go all out for—“ He flinches while he furrows his eyebrows. “Tell me. What is that?”

Ah.

The thing on the right side of my head.

He’s sitting exactly on my right.

“Stuff.”

“That’s why you skipped your classes.”

“How did you know, that I skipped them?”

“Of course I went there.” He stands, eyeing the clothes. “To give you those, duh. Let’s go to the hospital.”

“No, no. I was injured days ago. I already went to a clinic nearby.” I grab his wrist, pulling him to sit in front of me.

“Chill. I skipped class to visit a friend.”

“Anyway, I have to talk to you about.... how this happened.”

“Huh??"

“I kind of, promised a friend.” I clear my throat. “Also, it's related to you.”

His eyes widen. “Did you eat more than one tablet after we rehearsed?” He puts his palms on the floor, about to support himself to stand.

“Noo, not a chance!” I blurt. He sits again. “I only happened to meet a huge fan of yours. A really violent one, and that’s all.”

“A fan?” He crinkles his forehead.

“She said something about being your girlfriend and being in a transitional period with you.”

“Does that ring a bell?” I ask him.

He furrows his eyebrows.

 

I knew it.

“How about your previous girlfriends?”

“Don’t have any.”

“No way.” I gasp. Is this the way millenials flirt?

“I always think that having one is a nuisance.” He murmurs.

“I really didn’t expect that to come out from your mouth.” I chuckle.

I could relate to that before, but not anymore.

“When you've found the one, you’ll see that the so-called nuisance is something you want to live with.” I grin to my own words. “Hey, I bet, you’ve played around with few, right? How about them?” I ask him.

He twitches his whole face. “Just what do you mean by that.” He's glaring at me.

"Ugh, right. You're gay." I roll my eyes.

"Don't even start, ugly." He clenches his teeth, while taking a breath.

"Why? That's not something you should be embarrassed of!"

He puts his hands on the floor and starts scooting over to me. He's leaning to my face. He's doing it slowly... to... annoy me. ​​​​​​

But why am I not annoyed- 

I put my palm on his forehead, gently pushes him. “Don't you dare, dumbhead. Please. I don't want another bandage."

He raises his feet then sits, while resting his elbows on his knees.

"Think about those you’ve kissed before, maybe?”

“You?”

“EH?” I flinch, then burst into laughter while pressing my eyes together. “I see now why it was no fun.”

“You should watch more movies, ok?” I look at him.

Then suddenly, I gasp.

Because I remember that I still have my remaining 2 sets, and I have to do something about them for the sake of my safety—from the murderous girl.

Chances are, I can confuse her and not get another bandage at all.

“You know where Yanjun is at this hour?”

“Uh... probably the field.”

“Alright, thanks.”

---

There’s always the possibility of another crazy girl—or perhaps bunch of girls—hunting me because I’ll be giving this to the Lin Yanjun. But let’s just stick to what's in front of me, for now.

Hey Yanjun!” I wave at him, who’s playing by himself at the basketball field. Even in long-sleeved sweatshirts and long sweatpants, he still manages to look hot; especially with all the sweats on his upper body.

He halts his playing and runs to me. “Hey! What are you doing here?” As he looks at me, he furrows his eyebrows. “What happened to your head?”

“Both your questions are actually related. You want to hear the long answer or the short one?”

He chuckles. “Anything?”

I purse my lips. “I initially wanted to give this to a friend, a girl friend, just to boost her confidence."

"But since she managed to have tens of gifts, so—“

“You want to give it to me, instead?”

“Well, about that....” I scratch the back of my head.

“What is it?” He grins, unbelievably looking engaged—I adore this kind of look in a guy. Can everyone be like this when talking to other people? I’d be so happy witnessing an environment like that.

“There’s this passionate strong girl that’s soo into Xiao Gui.” I sigh.

“This is actually the sign of her passionate love she left for me.“ I point at my wound.

“So I thought, I should give half of my chocolates to him, and also you.”

He grins, “That's quite genius.”

I’m touched that one’s actually cool with this weird scheme of mine.

“But is your head ok?” He makes a peace sign in front of my face, out of nowhere. “How many fingers are there?”

I roll my eyes, but I chuckle. “10? Duh.”

“But, thanks a lot, though. You’re cool that you’re ok with this.”

I take a look at my watch.

“Ugh, by the way. I have a shift today. It’s really nice talking to you, see ya!” I wave at him, then storm off.