I

Next In Line

Women who grew up with a negative father figure are more likely to get into abusive relationships.

Jinwoo didn't think he'd face this problem head-on before he'd realized he was gay.

Now, it was evident that this rule applies to queer men too.

It was always the same scenario. At that point Jinwoo knew what would happen before it even did, just like now.

He was sitting in his favourite coffee shop, trying to be slick while looking across the street at the newly-opened tattoo shop.

And then he spotted his idiot.

The next in line to ruin his life.

Jinwoo saw it like a vision; he imagined this was what people think of when they say their “life flashed before their eyes” – except it’s not his life, just this one relationship.

He saw himself mustering up the courage to approach the – because he’s always the one to do the heavy lifting – in some interesting way he hadn’t tried before. The guy would be his usual idiot self and Jinwoo would fall for him like an even bigger idiot. He would fall for the guy’s purple hair, leather jacket, lip piercing, motorcycle and the tattoo on his stomach while in turn he would fall for Jinwoo’s “charm” and “innocence”. Images of their dates flashed before his eyes to the point where they finally hook up, before Jinwoo catches the guy with some other person and the classic “it never would have worked out between us. We’re just so different.”

Jinwoo sighed, blowing the steam from his coffee and creating a crater in the designed foam.

At least with so many failed relationships one develops thick skin. These days he doesn’t despair about an ended relationship more than one evening, and in the morning he’s good to go to his classes and continue living his life.

He knew he’d regret it, but he was already figuring out a way to approach Song Minho.