Chapter : 06

Drifting Moon Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: The part in italics is "Flasback". I hope no one is confused by that (There are two flashbacks in this chapter). Sorry for late update, I am an easily distracted person and got distracted in last month because of the Festa. I would explain everything in the end-note, meanwhile, please enjoy 11,000+ worth chapter ~^_^~

~CHAPTER SIX~

 

The ominous silence of the large Mansion was unnerving.

 

Yoongi regretted living in the very house he loathed from the bottom of his heart. Everything was as grey and pale yellow as he remembered from more than twenty years ago. The furniture in the house was unchanged as well. The hallways were semi-lit, just like back in the days. The cold corridors caught the mere sound of footsteps, giving the area a creepy aura.

 

The bedroom they were allotted brought back memories that were more bad than good. It was the same bedroom Seokjin used to have back in his teenage. Yoongi had spent a number of nights there, snuggled against his boyfriend of that time. But, he remembered the feeling of constantly being watched in that very room. Though, Seokjin had refused to believe Yoongi's hunched that time.

 

Then, one night, while both Alphas had lain on taller male’s humungous bed; out of blue, Seokjin had been called in by his father. Seokjin, looking stricken with fear, had left Yoongi cold and partially in the bed. After waiting for an hour, the petite Alpha had gathered his clothes and sneaked out of the Mansion. Yoongi had been sure Seokjin won’t be seeing him ever again, after that night. The petite Alpha knew his boyfriend won’t be able to defy the direct orders from the mayor, thus Seokjin will leave Yoongi for good. How Seokjin had been able to stand tall in front of his father and declare his firm love for Yoongi, the latter would never know. Because, the next morning, Yoongi was taken by a surprise when Seokjin had come knocking on the door of the wobbly hut Yoongi claimed as his home, in the old days. Seokjin had gotten on his knee, raising a plain silver band and asking Yoongi to mate him and run away with him. Yoongi was an orphan; he lost his parents and a younger sister, Yoonji, to a road accident. The petite Alpha had nothing holding him back in the vile Town of Woodfield, anyway. Yoongi had nodded his head, eyes prickling with tears afore accepting the offer of one man he loved dearly.

 

Instantly, Yoongi was jerked out of his memories as the thumb of his right hand rubbed across the warm silver band on his left hand. The band was as simple as day one. Seokjin had suggested they buy a better pair of rings now, but Yoongi refused. They were memoirs he cherished even till now.

 

Currently, Yoongi was strolling around the Mansion and came across a small pantry used for storing grains. Seokjin’s portrait was hanging from that wall. Yoongi would admit, he had believed that Seokjin’s portrait might have already been burnt to ashes, thus, he was surprised to find it intact and alive.

 

It was a centuries-old tradition of Kim family; portrait of each Alpha is sketched when he comes of age. To be hung through the long corridors, as a memorial. On the other hand, the family members' portraits- who are still alive- are hung in the dining room, only so they can be flaunted at big gatherings.

 

“Seokjin’s portrait might be graded up and placed in the dining area as well,” Yoongi mused to himself, a small smiling sitting on the corner of his lips. “But, Jungkook would have to pay a large price for it.”

 

Things were as miserable as they were back in his youthful days, Yoongi alleged bitterly. In order to gain status, sacrifices must be made. But, Yoongi be damned, if he allowed his son's happiness to be targeted just to gain a little recognition from Kim Seokjoon. Yoongi's only relief was; Seokjin would never go as far in his greed to gain the mere title of clan leader as one would assume. Yoongi was hundred percent sure his husband would back away if his constant strive to be the leader could bring harm to their only son. Thus, the current happenings were least of Yoongi’s worries, thankfully. The petite Alpha had more pressing concerns to tackle, though.

 

Yoongi strolled through the area and found himself in the back lounge. Hoseok was diligently working in the kitchen, giving directions to the maids for the day’s work. The Omega paused for a moment when he noticed Yoongi’s watchful eyes fixed on him.

 

“Need anything?” Hoseok inquired, sounding slightly guarded.

 

"Yes, a cup of coffee with your company, perhaps?" Yoongi replied frankly. The petite Alpha flashed his most welcoming smile, trying to coax the old friend out of the hostile Omega. Hoseok and Yoongi used to be project partners through the second year of school. Yoongi was hopeful he could bring out the same happy-go-lucky Jung Hoseok if he tried hard enough.

 

The Omega looked torn between wanting to accept or deny the kind offer. After a moment, Hoseok ordered one of the maids to brew the coffee and bring out a little bit of snack for them. The omega gestured Yoongi to come and sit on the back porch with him. The morning was beautiful, pleasant wind caressed their faces. It was quite early in the morning. They haven't even eaten breakfast yet. Though, the coffee and home-made donuts were enough for Yoongi.

 

“So, you are a writer, I have heard,” Hoseok broke the stretching silence between the two. The Omega looked tense for whatever reason; his hands gripped the cup of coffee with enough strength to break it. “What do you write about?”

 

"I am," Yoongi chuckled in a carefree manner. The petite Alpha was desperate to make Hoseok break the mask of pretense and just be himself with him. "My main work attributes to teen parenting. I admit I didn't do as good a job in raising Jungkook as I talk in my books. But, I try my best."

 

"Jungkook seems like a lovely child, though," Hoseok commented timidly. Yoongi noticed a slight change in his muscles. The tension lessened a bit. "I think you have done a splendid job on him."

 

"Jungkook was a lovely and smart child, to begin with," Yoongi retorted pleasantly, eyes filled with pride and adoration. "I never had much trouble with him, to be honest. However, this isn't what I wanted to talk about right now. I have something important to ask you."

 

“Of course, you do,” Hoseok chuckled humorlessly as he leaned down to place his cup of coffee on the table. The Omega folded his arms across his chest and pinned Yoongi with a hard stare. “You won’t have any other reason to befriend me, anyway.”

 

"Wrong," Yoongi said, slowly shaking his head. "I have every reason to befriend you, especially if I have to live in this Mansion. We used to be friends Hoseok and I would want my friend back, so, my three months- or hopefully less- stay here would become slightly pleasant."

 

The Omega looked gobsmacked for a moment before nodding his head in understanding. It was obvious how Hoseok needed and wanted a friend as much as Yoongi. He had been so lonely in the Mansion for years now. On initial stages, Hoseok had two kids to raise and care for and they were his entire world. Now, both the children were grown up and had a life of their own. The gloomy Mansion was nothing but a prison for him, lately.

 

"Beside you, I had one more friend, if you remember," Yoongi started once he was sure Hoseok would be willing to share anything with him, now. "The day Seokjin suggested that we leave the town behind and start our lives in the city, I didn't think twice and accepted his proposal. We left the town on the same night. But, I could never forget how I left without ever telling Heechul goodbye. Everything happened so fast, Seokjin and I were scared to be killed by the mayor so we left as soon as possible. Not a single day goes by that I don't regret not telling goodbye to my best friend."

 

“Oh,” Hoseok’s lips fell open in a gaping hole. Whatever, the omega had in his mind; he certainly did not see Yoongi wanting to talk about this topic.

 

“I noticed that his portrait has been removed from the dining hall,” Yoongi kept explaining, looking desperate now. “I walked down the corridors and his photograph isn’t even there. I found Seokjin’s portrait in the pantry and Heechul’s wasn’t even there. So, I guess it’s safe to assume his sketch was burnt down. I don’t need to know the reason for that, anyway. But, please tell me, where is he?”

 

“He…” Hoseok looked genuinely confused. One look on Omega’s face and Yoongi was willing to bet Hoseok had no idea. “I really don’t know, Yoongi. The mayor hates it if we question him. Heechul just vanished one day and the mayor forbade us all to talk about him, at all.”

 

Yoongi roughly palmed his face, placing his own cup of coffee back on the table with trembling hands. The Alpha was rendered speechless. He was hoping for closure, at least.

 

"Well, wherever he is, I just hope he is fine and-" Yoongi started monotone, sadness lacing his every word, only to be cut short by a curt voice.

 

"He is dead!" A gruff voice said, making both Hoseok and Yoongi snap their faces toward the door of the back porch. As anticipated, Kim Seokjoon stood in the doorway, glaring straight at Yoongi. The petite Alpha scowled back, lips pulling over his teeth with a small snarl. "He died a month after you left. Maybe, he was heartbroken because of you."

 

"Died? Or murdered?" Yoongi growled hands fisted tightly and a wave of rage traveling through his body. "Did you kill him? Just like you killed your own brother, Heechul's father, the previous clan leader, huh? Did you kill him to clear your way for your greed to prosper? Just so you can become the clan leader permanently?"

 

“I was already a permanent leader, you senseless child,” The Mayor spat in fury. “I was chosen as the leader by the town on the blue moon after my brother’s untimely and accidental death. I had no greed what so ever.”

 

"Of course, you do have greed," Yoongi retorted back, standing up so fast that his chair fell back with a loud thud. "You knew this position was Heechul's to claim. Despite, you being the leader, for the time being, Heechul was older and at top of Kim's hierarchy for the next leader to be. Tell me I am wrong!"

 

"You are wrong," The older man said through gritted teeth, face red with anger. "He was an abomination, to begin with. He could never be a leader of our clan. He didn't qualify for !"

 

“He was not an abomination,” Yoongi said, keeping his voice and anger in check. Though, the petite Alpha’s eyes were filled with fire. “He was unique. He was more of an Alpha than any of us.”

 

“I don’t expect anything better from you anyway,” The Mayor said after a pause. “It’s not like you are normal either: lured my son in your trap and hoodwinked him to fall in love with another Alpha. You wouldn’t know what normal is even if it slapped you right across your face.”

 

“Yeah,” Yoongi admitted with glee transparent on his face. “I hoodwinked you son and made him fall in love with me. I forced him to leave his home and town, for my sake. I have a son you hunger over. I might not be normal according to you, but I still stand as the winner.”

 

The Mayor breathed through his flared nostrils. Words failed the old man. After a moment or so, acting like he was composed, Seokjoon turned toward Hoseok afore murmuring, “Send my breakfast in my bedroom and take good care of our guests, they would be leaving soon enough.”

 

Hoseok hardly had time to nod before the old man was twirling around and re-entering the house. Yoongi watched the mayor’s fading back with pure loath. He stood inhaling and exhaling sharply, trying his best to get his emotions under control.

 

Just when Yoongi made a move to leave, a hand on his arm stopped him short. Arching a brow at Hoseok, the petite Alpha waited for the other male to say what was on his mind. The Omega looked around, making sure they were indeed alone before whispering, "I really don't know what happened to Heechul. He left the house one morning and didn't return after. The Mayor told us, the next day, that he died in the forest and the wild beasts feasted upon him, thus he was buried right there. No funeral was held for him. No news was dispatched, the next morning. It's not my place to say… but I knew even then that the mayor was lying to us. I can't pretend to know what exactly went down between him and the mayor, but I guess Heechul really did die that day. But, the important question that is still left unanswered is: how did he die?"

 

With these words, Hoseok left Yoongi to broad over the subject, on his own.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

“The Alphas who attacked Minjae in the forest, are grandfather’s men?”

 

The silence to follow Jungkook’s words was foreboding, to say the least. Jungkook in a deep breath, waiting to see how Taehyung would react. The words had not been easy for Jungkook to mutter; his mind was a mess of jumbled thoughts. A part of him was mocking that he already suspected this, hence he shouldn't act so surprised, yet the reality was hard to digest.

 

“I know that,” Taehyung whispered, face stoic and void of any emotions.

 

“What…?” Jungkook exhaled shakily, not entirely content with the way his cousin responded. “Taehyung, do you even realize what I just said? This means grandfather tried killing your potential mate! Your own grandfather is trying to take away the guy you love!”

 

“I know that Jungkook," Taehyung smiled, a little sad, a little bitter, and a whole lot miserable. Taehyung’s light brown hairs sparkled in the morning sun, as the Alpha moved toward him. He gently placed his hand on Jungkook’s shoulder and gave a squeeze. "Welcome to Woodfield.”

 

Jungkook barked out an incredulous laugh, staring at Taehyung like he had grown multiple heads, out of blue. In all honesty, Jungkook might not be as surprised at the extra heads as he was to see his cousin looking at him in amusement. If someone told Jungkook that Jimin was being hunted down by his own grandfather, the Alpha won’t think twice before tearing the old man’s head off. Something in Taehyung’s eyes told Jungkook, the bronze head Alpha might actually have to tear-off the mayor’s head in due time.

 

“Are you free for the rest of the day?” Taehyung asked, returning his attention back on his hairs. The light brown hairs were so perfectly styled that it irked Jungkook for some reason. “Jungkook, I would like to take you somewhere, if you are willing.”

 

“Seeing your laid back attitude even after knowing your Omega is in constant danger,” Jungkook retorted, frowning in displeasure. “I don’t think you are as trustworthy as I originally deemed. I mean, okay, I had my doubts about the old man from day one. He is dodgy, with the most narrow-minded personality I have ever encountered. I was even informed he hates male Omegas… but for him to pull such an act-”

 

"Do you think Hoonbin was killed by the Vampires?" Taehyung interrupted the younger Alpha with a look of steel in his eyes; a drastic contrast from earlier. "The young Omega you found dead in forest, Jungkook, do you remember him? You, like others in the town, might believe he died at the hands of a rogue bloodsucker, right? But the fact is, there are creatures in our town- albeit werewolves, our own species, but monsters at heart- who tear apart and kill Omegas without single remorse."

 

“But why?” Jungkook queried, more like necessitated the answer to the most crucial question.

 

Taehyung sighed, deep and regretful, before mumbling, “I, too, am trying to seek the answer. However, this brings me back to my original question. Will you come with me?”

 

Jungkook sized up the other Alpha; Taehyung stood tall a look of determination in his sparkling brown orbs. It would be a lie if Jungkook said he was not intrigued by what his cousin has to say or show him. Calculated but determined, Jungkook nodded his head, “Sure. But where?”

 

“You will see,” Taehyung assured with a tiny smile.

 

Both Alphas left the mansion at a quick pace, after grabbing a couple of toasts off the breakfast table. Taehyung shouted they were off to Sehun’s place for video games but Jungkook knew he only said it to keep his actual intentions hidden. Rightfully so. Because, after traveling an hour or so on foot, Jungkook found himself at the edge of the forest, facing an almost invisible trail. The younger Alpha arched a brow at his cousin when Taehyung clapped a hand on his shoulder and urged the male to walk in first.

 

This certain trail was not as steep as the one Jungkook covered with his grandfather, in the early morning. There were not many twists or curves. But, the trail seemed to be leading them toward a similar spot. Jungkook instantly recognized a few trees and ferns. He stiffened for a moment, wondering where Taehyung was taking him. Jungkook was left hinged jaw as soon as a certain mountain came in the view. ! This was the same place Jungkook had roamed during the full moon!

 

The chestnut bronze hair Alpha stared at Taehyung, hoping to catch something in the elder's odd behavior. Did Taehyung know what went down here on the full moon? Was there something Taehyung wish to share with him or call him out on his secret? Jungkook had kept his imprinting a secret because if too many ears heard it, the words could reach certain earholes that Jungkook would rather keep in dark for a while.

 

"What is this place?" Jungkook questioned, at last, trying to feign ignorance.

 

"You will see," Taehyung replied back excitedly. The elder Alpha looked rather giddy if come to think about it. As if Taehyung was about to reveal something incredible to Jungkook. "I trust you to keep your lips sealed about it, though. Okay?"

 

Jungkook nodded like a robot, anticipating what would come next. Tossing one last smile, Taehyung reached the foot of the mountains. The Alpha looked around, making sure the two of them were all alone before ducking down to slip in a small opening under a big boulder on the mountain. Had Jungkook not spent an entire night inside this very cave, with his mate, the Alpha would have pointed out to Taehyung that he was entering the wrong place that it didn't look like the place could hold a cavern. But, Jungkook had slipped inside this certain cave while chasing the snow-white werewolf on the night of the full moon. Jungkook knew exactly what to expect once he squeezed past the small opening.

 

"Nobody knows about this cave, except a bunch of us," Taehyung explained once he and Jungkook had slithered inside a small tunnel, leading them toward the big cavern, so big that it was almost the size of a room. "Don't be surprised to see a few faces already waiting inside, okay? They will be equally surprised to see you, mind you. But, I trust you Jungkook and I know you would do nothing but help us."

 

“Y-Yeah,” Jungkook assured, albeit in a croaked voice. The Alpha was fighting an internal battle, as it was. This was a cave. A special hidden cave that only Taehyung and few others knew about. Yet, the snow-white wolf had brought him here at the night of the full moon. Jungkook’s heart thumped loudly. It was not like Jungkook didn’t know who it was, but, could this be the breaking point for them. Would truth be revealed just like this? Would the ‘few other people’- as Taehyung had said- hold him, as well? Would his mate come forward with the truth, finally? Jungkook sure hoped he does. Because, otherwise, the Alpha had sworn not to force him to own-up his mate's title, if he didn't want to. Imprint or no imprint, Jungkook was willing to respect the Omega's decision… even if it meant Jungkook returning to the city without his significant other alongside him.

 

There was a hushed murmur at the end of the tunnel, Jungkook could hear it well. The whispers came to a sudden halt when Taehyung announced his arrival. The elder Alpha entered the cave before Jungkook. As soon as Jungkook climbed down the tunnel and looked up to take in his surrounding, he was surprised to find many unfamiliar faces among a few known ones.

 

Sehun, Taeyong, Minjae, and Jongin’s faces were, of course, the first to register in Jungkook’s mind. Then, he vaguely heard Taehyung introducing a mated couple- Jaebum and Nayeon- an Alpha named Shownu- whom Jungkook recalled as being part of the council of Alpha Union community- and four Omegas, three male and one female- Taemin, Sungwoon, Minhyuk, and Jihyo.

 

Jungkook’s eyes roved around the cave, drinking in each face and their mild scents. Nothing. Nada. He was not there. No Jimin with a scowl on his face, glaring at Taehyung for inviting Jungkook in their secret cult. The way Jungkook’s heart sank, for a second he feared he might not be able to breathe.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

Jungkook’s head throbbed. He could feel a slight migraine building. Everything was a little hard to digest, in all honesty.

 

"So, let me get this straight," Jungkook started, looking from one eager and smiling face to another. They all- the six Alphas and seven Omegas- sat on the ground of the cave, dirt, and sand forgotten, in a wide circle. "So this cult-"

 

“We like to call it, The Avengers Club, thank you very much,” Minhyuk- a rather sassy Omega with pretty eyes- chirped in to say, fluttering those said eye’s beautiful long eyelashes at Jungkook. Nope! Not in a flirtatious manner but rather a feisty way. Jungkook could see why he had seen Minhyuk hanging around Jimin and Jongin so much. All the feisty Omegas were in the same league, apparently.

 

"Okay," Jungkook dragged arching a brow at the sniggering tall and broad shoulder Alpha, Shownu. If Jungkook was not reading it wrong, Minhyuk already had an Alpha to protect him, thus the sassy Omega knew he could get away with anything. "So, this club of yours works for the protection of Omegas. And Minjae here," Jungkook turned to look at the Omega curled beside Taehyung, cheekily grinning at him. "The Minjae- who is not precisely the Mayor's target, as I had assumed earlier- I supposedly saved from being and murdered the other night, had, in reality, volunteered to be the scrap goat, just so you can catch the culprits behind these horrendous tasks?"

 

"Scrap goat?" Jongin frowned, not liking the word for his fellow Omega. "I think Minjae's strong nerves to put his life on the line in order to capture those foul monsters, deserves a better word."

 

“But the point is,” Taehyung waved away the Omegas’ frowning faces and turned to pin Jungkook with a look. “Yes, you are right. Minjae is not grandfather’s prime target until we public our relationship, that is. The night you found Minjae in the forest, it was our plan to capture those bastards. I, Sehun, and Shownu were waiting for him beside the lake, but he never came."

 

“I was cornered,” Minjae explained readily. “We assumed there were only two of those Alphas but it turned out three came after me. The path I was supposed to follow was blocked by the lanky one. I panicked and ran the other way. Thankfully, I stumbled across you and you saved me from a fate worse than death.”

 

“Not gonna lie, really stupid plan,” Jungkook admitted, turning to give a disappointed look to his cousin. “Minjae could have been seriously hurt.”

 

“It wasn’t our smart idea, anyway,” All the Alphas chorused, rolling their eyes at the flushing Omegas.

 

"Honestly, we tried talking them out of it," Taeyong drawled. "But, they were hell-bent on going with this plan. Said; the Omegas could do better than Alphas. Taehyung gave up in favor to humor them, to be very honest."

 

Jungkook couldn’t help but snigger at the indignant flashing across all Omegas’ faces at Taeyong’s very ‘honest' words. Though Minhyuk seemed to be avoiding eye contact with everyone and Jungkook thought it was safe to assume which Omega came up with the plan, in the first place.

 

“I really admire Omegas and I respect them for being their own persons,” Jungkook started, turning around to look each Omega straight in their eyes. “However, if you guys really want to stop Omega-hunting and live in a better society. You have to stop this weird Alpha-Omega difference war first. You guys are friends. You all are in this together. You have to realize you all are equal. No Alpha is higher than an Omega and neither an Omega greater in power than Alpha. Recognize your strength and play it according to your limits. Only then your small club can have any worth.”

 

A long pause followed Jungkook’s speech, making the bronze head Alpha fidget in his place. All Omegas sat staring at him with open admiration and respect. Okay, so this was not what Jungkook signed up for!

 

“You have two Alpha parents,” Jihyo, the timid Omega with round chubby cheeks, started in a soft voice. “Yet, the respect you show to Omegas is really refreshing to observe. I have seen in school as well. You never stare at Omegas with a wild hunger that usually seeps in most Alphas’ gaze. Your parents must have raised you well.”

 

“That they have,” Jungkook admitted bashfully rubbing a hand on the back of his neck. “But, I also have an Omega mother. She is the sweetest person ever. My parents constantly encouraged me to keep in contact with my Omega mother and always taught me to respect all Omegas and never think of them as inferior to an Alpha.”

 

“Wow, you have freaking cool parents,” Taemin murmured in awe, eyes genuinely wide with wonder. “Mind swapping them with my parents for a while? I could do with a little change, you know.”

 

“Sorry, no can do,” Jungkook fake pouted, playing along with the Omega. “Though, I’m willing to gift my grandfather to you.”

 

"And you don't need to return him, like, ever!" Immediately Taehyung jumped in to say, sincerity lacing his tone. Within a few seconds, everyone was howling in laughter except Taehyung. "Why are you all laughing? I am being damn serious, right now! Someone please take our grandfather and keep him forever!"

 

Jungkook despite laughing along others could understand Taehyung’s sentiments. Living in the mansion for merely two days, Jungkook would assure you the place was anything but warm and cozy home Jungkook was used to.

 

Suddenly, Jungkook’s laughter ceased and he perked up when a familiar Lavender scent teased his nostrils.

 

“Hey! What’s so funny? I wanna join in too,” A sweet voice asked before Jimin’s petite form materialized from inside the entrance tunnel’s mouth. The Omega jumped down and looked around with a bright smile. “Sorry, I am late guys. Kim ing Taehyung bolted without me and to think I call him my bro-”

 

Jimin's breath got stuck in his throat once his eyes fell on the new entry in their small group. Jungkook happily waved at the petite male, finally at ease. Of course!! If Taehyung- an Alpha- was working for sake of Omegas, how could it be that Jimin won't join in? Jungkook realized he was stupid to believe otherwise.

 

"I thought you were gonna come with Jongin," Taehyung excused, accusingly pointing at the said Omega. "Anyway, don't worry we haven't started the official meeting yet. Come take your seat- umm, Jungkook, do you mind scooting over a little, Jimin always sits beside me."

 

Without a word, Jungkook dragged his on the right side, creating a bare minimum place for Jimin. The Omega looked like he was contemplating making a run for his life. After a couple of painfully dragged minutes where everyone was gazing at Jimin’s frozen figure, the Omega squeezed himself between Taehyung and Jungkook.

 

"So, Jungkook, we have explained everything to you," Taehyung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter