Six

Walking a Tightrope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I don't care how complicated it gets, I still want you."

 

The day after tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Jeongyeon was sitting on a bench in a public park that is common for anyone who wanted to take a stroll, run, hang out with friends to catch up, take their dog for a walk or just enjoy the day with mother nature. The girl would sigh as she fiddled with her fingers that were on her lap as she felt an arm around her from behind.

Bobby had been kissing her temple a few times getting her to relax. Their mini vacation at Jeju Island had come to an end knowing they couldn't escape reality. Bobby sighed giving her another kiss on her temple closing his eyes for a moment taking in her sweet scent that drove him mad wanting nothing more than to hold her in bed and sleep.

Jeongyeon closed her eyes the moment Bobby gave her another kiss but she opened her eyes quickly sighing. "You need to stop doing that before he gets here."

Bobby chuckled knowing she was right. The last thing they both wanted was to be caught in the act. "I'm sorry. I just want to help you relax."

Jeongyeon turned to gaze at him giving him an unsure smile. "I know but he will be here any minute."

Bobby nodded letting her know he would stop. "You know, we never discussed on how this was going to go. Do you want me to tell him?"

He's right.

We never discussed that.

After the phone call with Hanbin that Bobby had, they never spoke about anything when they came back home. The rest of the day and the next was pretty much the best days Jeongyeon ever had.

Bobby kept making her smile, laugh, made her heart beat fast and everything felt amazing. She didn't have to pretend to be happy. She enjoyed her time with him and she hoped to have more days like the ones a few days ago.

But deep down, there was still one huge problem lying inside her.

She knew she couldn't stay with Hanbin. She had no feelings for him. She regrets saying 'yes' and wished she said 'no'. But to be honest, she couldn't hurt him. She saw how happy and nervous he was. She couldn't take that away in one day.

So she gave him a chance hoping to gain something for him but it never came.

As for Bobby, the feelings were always there. She liked him from the start and hid them away until he shook them awake making her realize she should have been with him from the start.

"Jeongyeon?"

Jeongyeon never realized she was looking elsewhere when Bobby called out to her. She cupped one side of his face letting her thumb caress his cheek letting him know she was fine.

I can't let him be the one to do it.

It has to be me.

I'm the girlfriend.

When Bobby asked Jeongyeon if he should tell Hanbin what happened, he got nothing but silence. He saw Jeongyeon go off into a trance getting lost in her thoughts. He let her be knowing she might come up with a plan but the longer she stayed silent, the more he grew anxious when she never said anything. So he called out to her.

"You know what? Can you go get me a water bottle? I feel my throat kind of dry." Jeongyeon removed her hand from his face. "Please? I won't tell him anything until you're here."

At first Bobby didn't want to agree.

He didn't want to leave her alone.

Especially not with Hanbin, who is still her boyfriend for the time being.

He sighed getting up from his place and kissed the top of her head. "I'll be back soon."

Jeongyeon looked up at Bobby as he placed one hand behind her head giving her light pink hair a few . "I'll be here."

He smiled before he started walking to the nearest convenient store to get her a water. He knew she shouldn't be left alone but he wouldn't take long. If he had to, he would tell Hanbin what happened between them. He wouldn't let Jeongyeon take the blame.

After all, he was the one who came up with the idea of making Jeongyeon forget about Hanbin. If anyone should tell Hanbin the truth, it should be his best friend.

- - -

Jeongyeon shut her eyes and leaned forward in her place running her fingers through her hair. The moment Bobby left, she felt her heart was like a ticking bomb going to explode at any second.

He will be here any minute now.

Jeongyeon took a deep breath for a moment before sitting up and opened her eyes, exhaling. She didn't a few times hoping to calm herself but little did she know that someone was watching her. She turned to her left and flinched seeing a familiar face smiling.

"Did I scare you?"

Jeongyeon felt her heart squeeze inside her chest. She slowly stood up seeing the one person she never meant to hurt.

Hanbin.

"Hi."

It was all Jeongyeon could say out to him.

He quickly took a few long strides to her wrapping his arms around her body. She felt the tight squeeze she was getting from him. It was uncomfortable knowing she hadn't been around him for a week and had gotten used to Bobby's touch.

Hanbin let go of her but left his arms around her waist. He smiled happy tilting his head as he leaned in to capture her lips.

When Jeongyeon saw him moving in, she moved her head to the opposite side shutting her eyes. "Please don't."

Hanbin opened his eyes knowing they were shut and saw her reaction. He removed one had from holding her and cupped her face. "What's wrong?"

Jeongyeon flinched at his touch making Hanbin get curious as to why she was acting the way she was. Jeongyeon couldn't stay in his arms any longer. She slowly pushed him back and removed his hand from her face. "I have something to tell you."

"Me too." Hanbin smiled at her shaking off whatever was bothering him. He didn't want to think much into it. He just figured it had been a while from seeing each other and she wasn't used to him anymore. "Let me tell you everything. You're not going to believe what I'm going to tell you."

I bet my news is more mind blowing than yours.

Hanbin pulled Jeongyeon to sit back on the bench where she was sitting before. He held both her hands with his giving them a squeeze. Before he spoke, he kissed both her hands together with his and felt anxious. "Back in Japan, I missed you like crazy of course, but there was so much to do and so much to see. You'd love it there."

Jeongyeon faked her smile. "You don't say?"

He chuckled. "Some parts remind me of home but not much. The only difference is the language and the writing but it's nothing I can't handle if I decide to go for a semester over there."

"You found a school after all?" Jeongyeon asked surprised. She couldn't give away too much emotions. Before she knew it, Jeongyeon just stared at him blocking out his voice. He was going on about the different foods he had, a few parks, street foods and the people.

Jeongyeon only nodded her head every so often and smiled as she pretended to listen to him. Seeing Hanbin so happy made her realize she would have to burst his bubble and break his heart. She had to do it soon before Bobby came back.

She wasn't going to let him take the blame.

"Jeongyeon?" Hanbin called out to her.

Jeongyeon blinked her eyes coming back to him and away from her thoughts. "What?"

"Where is Bobby? I thought you both were going to be here together?" He asked looking over her shoulder, then behind him but didn't see him. The park is usually busy around the afternoon but not early afternoon. The sun was high in the sky shining down on the ground giving heat for everyone. "Should I go get some water for us?"

Jeongyeon shook her head quickly. "No, I'm fine."

Hanbin nodded leaning in again to her for a kiss.

Jeongyeon saw him go again for a kiss but she wasn't going to let him. "Hanbin?"

Hanbin moved back confused. "What is it? Why aren't you letting me kiss you?"

Jeongyeon sighed biting her bottom lip. "Hanbin --"

"I've only been gone for a week, not much has changed." He answered her hoping to try again.

"Every this has changed." She mumbled to herself but he heard her exact words.

"What do you mean?"

Jeongyeon sighed staring at him and removed her hands from his. "Look... this is really hard for me to say... I'm not going to sugar coat it ok?"

Hanbin didn't like how she moved her hands away from him. He tried to reach for them but that only made Jeongyeon stand up curling her fingers into a fist, digging her nails into her palm. "What's going on?"

The girl with light pink hair closed her eyes taking a deep breath and let it out before facing Hanbin. "I slept with Bobby."

What?

Hanbin stared at the girl standing before him.

He didn't know what to think or do.

She's joking right?

He chuckled shaking his head side to side, standing up reaching for her hand. "Don't joke like that."

Jeongyeon kept her hand closed and pulled it back from Hanbin, taking a step back. "I'm not."

Hanbin started to clench his jaw a couple of times. He knew his emotions were slowly changing from happiness to anger within seconds. "When?"

Jeongyeon felt her heart shaking inside. "A few days ago....I...I love him."

Hanbin's eye twitched looking over her shoulder seeing a familiar face with his hands at his side panting. He averted his eyes to Jeongyeon. He kept a hard and cold face that Jeongyeon had been expecting. "You -- "

"Yes, I slept with your best friend." Jeongyeon had to finish his sentence. She stood her ground with her head held up high. Sleeping with her boyfriend's best friend isn't something to be proud of but she didn't want to show Hanbin she is weak. "I'm sorry but I don't have any feelings for you. I never did... I tried. I.... did, but...nothing. I'm sorry Hanbin."

Tears were filling her bottom eye line and soon, they slid down her cheek.

"It's not Bobby's fault, I've always liked him and we went to Jeju Island a few days ago. Things got heated and we slept together." Jeongyeon pushed a few tears away hoping Hanbin could understand her and not do something stupid. "Hanbin... I'm --"

"DON'T!" Hanbin shouted at her shutting his eyes, turning his head to side. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

My girlfriend and best friend... slept together..

My best friend and girlfriend..

He clenched his jaw again and opened them glaring at not only Jeongyeon but the person who took a few steps closing in on Jeongyeon's confession. "YOU ED MY GIRLFRIEND?"

Jeongyeon flinched at his words. She could see him looking over her shoulder. Her heart raced, turning around saw Bobby a few feet away from her. "Bobby."

He stared at Hanbin for a few minutes before looking at Jeongyeon. "I realized when I was paying for your water you would pull this without me."

"I'm sorry... I can't let you take the blame." Jeongyeon took a step to him but she remembered Hanbin still there watching them.

Hanbin fisted his hand and they shook at his side. "ARE YOU BOTH KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?"

Bobby shook his head. "I'm not sorry for loving Jeongyeon and I'm not sorry for sleeping with her."

Hanbin stormed over to Bobby grabbing his shirt to where they were face to face. Bobby tried to push him off him but Hanbin didn't budge. "Who gave you the right to make a move on my girlfriend?"

"I did." Bobby answered him calmly. "I've been in love with Jeongyeon a lot longer than you and while you were gone, I took this chance to show her true happiness."

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" Hanbin raised his voice at Bobby along with raising one arm up and before Bobby knew it, he was on the ground.

Hanbin punched Bobby.

Jeongyeon flinched in her spot.

She felt frozen in her place.

Her heart was aching the moment Hanbin punched Bobby.

She wanted to help but Bobby looked her way making her stay put and not get involved.

"You heard me." Bobby touched the corner of his right lip and spit out some blood that was coming out. "She never liked you."

Hanbin's nose flared up as he grabbed Bobby by the shirt again and took another punch at him. Bobby took a few punches before the stumbled to the ground.

Jeongyeon covered with tears blocking her vision.

I have to stop this!

She didn't want to see Bobby get badly injured on something they both caused. She had to do something.

Bobby groaned at the punches but he managed to block a few swings and rolled Hanbin over to his back. "STOP IT! PUNCHING ME ISN'T GOING TO SOLVE ANYTHING!"

"HOW COULD YOU SLEEP WITH HER? SHE IS MY GIRLFRIEND!" Hanbin shouted at Bobby rolling them again in different positions. He raised his left arm in the air but before he could get in another swing, Jeongyeon grabbed his arm pulling it back.

"STOP IT HANBIN! PLEASE!"

"GET OFF ME !"

Knowing the words just slipped out of Hanbin's mouth, Bobby let it slip for now. He wouldn't if he said it next time.

Hanbin didn't know the strength he had when he threw off Jeongyeon making her tumble back landing on her left arm, letting out a cry.

Bobby turned to her, seeing her lay in the grass holding onto her arm. "Jeongyeon!"

That does it!

No one touches my girl!

Bobby groaned and gutted Hanbin in his chest making him gasp leaning over and off of the older boy under him.

He didn't know how, but Bobby managed to move from his place and go to Jeongyeon cradling her in his arms. "Are you ok? Where does it hurt Baby?"

Jeongyeon had tears in her eyes, holding onto her left arm. "I think I hit my funny bone and it won't stop tingling."

Bobby kissed the top of her head closing his eyes for a moment and opened them seeing Hanbin in his place. The younger boy looked over to his best friend and the girl who was once his girlfriend.

"How... how could you do this to me?" Hanbin asked looking over to the couple holding onto his side. "You were my best friend and you..." He looked over to Jeongyeon with tears in his eyes but he blinked them away. "I liked you so much and you SLEPT WITH MY BEST FRIEND?"

"SHE WAS NEVER HAPPY WITH YOU! SHE COULDN'T BREATH OR BE HERSELF. SHE HAD TO PRETEND FOR TWO MONTHS. THE DAY YOU LEFT SHE TOLD ME THE TRUTH!" Bobby shouted at Hanbin making him see the bigger picture. "Yeah... maybe I took advantage of her vulnerability but I knew I could make her happy."

Jeongyeon slowly looked up at Bobby, who had been staring at Hanbin but he looked down to her as he held her close to his chest. Jeongyeon looked over to Hanbin. "I'm sorry...I should've told you 'no' in the beginning."

"Why didn't you?" Hanbin asked wanting answers.

"Because I wanted to try and like you but... I COULDN'T!"

Hanbin shook his head, pushing himself to stand on his own two feet. He stared at both of them for a long time in silent. He saw the way Bobby stared at Jeongyeon and the way she stared at him. He saw the love in their eyes. Something he didn't get from Jeongyeon. He didn't know what to say. He had emotions floating all over the place.

Anger.

Hurt.

Mistrust.

Most of all betrayal.

"I can't believe you both could do this to me." He clenched his jaw again and again, knowing violence isn't going to solve anything. All he could do was let them be. He couldn't accept them nor look at them. He had to get away from them before he lost his mind.

News of his girlfriend cheating on him with his best friend is the most messed up thing to do. He stared at them again and Bobby slowly helped Jeongyeon up on her feet. He held her by the waist as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

I've should've known.

Hanbin met eyes with the both of them. "Obviously we're done here."

With that, he turned and left.

Jeongyeon felt terrible on how things turned out. She sniffled turning away from Hanbin walking away. Bobby her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter