Chapter 1

Dear Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nam House

 

Dear Diary,

Rise and shine everyone, it’s yet a new day in Seoul, and it feels fantastic, I never thought that waking up in my bed surrounded by family feels greats. Btw, hi!!! I’m Nam Woohyun 30 years old, and this is my world. I’m the new history teacher at Woollim high school, just moved here from the state and it feels right, maybe mom is right, perhaps it is time to settle home between my family and friends, thanks mom, I love you.

You see the house around the corner surrounded by a beautiful garden? That’s my house, I live with my mother and father, and I have a younger brother. Sungyeol, he is 18 years old and starts college this year, a freshman. Mom says that he didn’t grow up at all, he is still the same boy I left when I moved to the state.

You’re probably wondering about the between my brother and me, I mean 12 years is unusual for most families, we don’t even have siblings filling that gap. But the reason was simple, mom’s best friend got married after my mom did, she thought it would be fun if they got pregnant at the same time so that their kids grow up together as best friends! And what are the odds, it worked!!! Now I don’t know if they genuinely grew up close, but when they were young, they were inseparable.

I’ll let you into my world now, enjoy.

 

Woohyun woke up in the morning with a wide smile on his face like always, he checked his friends’ messages making sure he replies and set a lunch date with them to meet, his friends are amazing, they managed to stay in touch with him though he lived in another country. Yet the one message he was waiting for wasn't there, how dare he ignore him!!

Woohyun wasn’t going to ruin his day because of a message so, he did what he usually does, wore his sweatpants and went for a run wearing his headphones, he then returned home and showered to join his family for breakfast.

Woohyun is a high school teacher (I’m sure he told you about it already), and been in this field for a very long time, he can’t see himself do another job other than teaching. Ever since he graduated, he worked in the state for eight years, and he couldn’t be any happier if it weren’t for his mother request to return home and settle down with someone decent. Being a good son, Woohyun returned home to fulfil his mother’s request, but not so soon, he asked her to give him time to get used to Seoul and living here again.

 

Woohyun joined his mother in the kitchen greeting her with a hug, though it has been only two days since he returned it felt good to be home. He missed two days from school, but it was okay since he is the new teacher.

“Tomorrow you start your first day, are you excited?”

“Very.”

“Any plans for today?”

“I’m meeting Dongwoo and Howon for lunch.”

“What about tonight?”

“Nothing, I thought I’d spend it with you and dad, why?”

“Remember our old friends the Kim’s?”

“Hmm, they used to come every day when I was young.”

“We’re still close, and they will come tonight to welcome you home.”

“Mom~~ I’m not in the mood to meet anyone, I’ve just got here.”

Woohyun didn’t get to object more because of his younger brother interruption, “MOM~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ HELP ME!!!”

Now that’s my brother the one I told you about; mom wasn’t kidding when she said he is dramatic and still childish, I wonder what problem he got himself into this time.

“Why are you yelling!!”

“Hyung this is a crisis, you don’t understand!!!” Sungyeol then gave his mother his full attention making sure he holds both of her hands to add a little drama, “My best friend is grounded!! He won’t come tonight, how is that fair!! What will I do with a bunch of oldies by myself!! Why are you punishing me, mom!!!!!!!!”

“Your best friend?”

“Yes!! Gyugyu!!!”

“Little Gyu you mean?”

“YES” Sungyeol jumped over his brother, he could use a little help from him too, “You remember him Hyung? Cute little boy?”

“Not really.”

Kim Sunggyu, 18 years old he is the one I was talking about I guess my brother and him are still in touch. Otherwise, he won’t make a huge fuzz about him. Mom and her best friend plan worked after all, who would’ve thought.

“Sunggyu lied to his mother Sungyeol, let’s not get into other’s business.”

Sungyeol dramatically gasped, “Mom!! How can you say that! It’s Sunggyu we’re talking about, your favourite, your all he got!!”

Seeing the way my mom nodded means he is indeed her favourite, now I’m curious to meet him, mom is picky when it comes to Sungyeol’s friends. When Sunggyu and Sungyeol were born, I was 18 years old all that I can remember is the little six years old who used to play with my brother all the time. But college life is not a joke, I got busier with time, so I kind of skipped all family and friend gatherings.

“What did he do anyway?”

Sungyeol was about to answer with fake story to earn his brother’s sympathy, but his mother was faster, “He stayed in the state for extra days to attend a concert, he told his mother school doesn’t start until next week but it started two days ago, and he already has a warning from his professor.”

Sunggyu was in a summer vacation with his family in the state; they were supposed to return together. But Sunggyu ran away from his parents to meet his favourite band; the Kim had no choice but to return ahead of him – well they were already in the plane when their son decided to run away – after getting a promise from Sunggyu that college starts next week and not to worry. Which was a lie, Mrs Kim received a warning from his college stating that her son skipped two classes getting his first warning before he gets expelled.

Wait a minute, why does this story sound familiar?

“Is his professor name Heechul by any chance?”

Sungyeol grinned, “Yes, yes, it’s him!!!” the tallboy held his brother’s hands, “Hyung, help my friend.”

“Sungyeol, leave your brother alone, he just came home” Mrs Nam continued preparing breakfast, “Besides your brother won’t join us for dinner.”

“Do you have a picture of that friend?”

I know it was a weird request, but I had to make sure that we’re talking about the same boy! A lot of boys skip college and risk getting expelled. It’s a common issue.

Sungyeol made a face not really understanding, “Why would you need that?”

“Just for reference in case we met tonight.”

“Really? You’re joining us tonight!!! That’s great son.”

“Anything for my favourite mom” Woohyun then continued looking at Sungyeol, “Besides you asked me for help how can I help someone I don’t know!!”

Thankfully Sungyeol fell for it, he quickly unlocked his mobile giving it to Woohyun, “That’s Sunggyu.”

Oh ! What are the odds!!! It’s the same boy!! I’m coming to dinner tonight. But now I have to try to convince my mom to talk to her friend about him; I can’t believe I’m doing this, but here we go~

“Can you do me a favour mom?”

“Sure, son.”

“Can you convince auntie to allow Sunggyu come tonight? He is your favourite after all, and I can give him some advice I am a teacher, after all, I deal with boys like him all the time.”

“Hmm, that boy needs discipline maybe you can talk to him.”

“I’ll try my best, Uma.”

“ASAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

Woohyun returned to his room and immediately opened his diary, it’s a habit he developed since he was young, writing his diary in a notebook though it looked old fashioned it was Woohyun’s obsession, something he doesn’t want to let go. Of course, this notebook belonged to him; no one dared to read it, Woohyun always makes sure to keep it in a hidden spot.

 

Dear Diary,

I had a good day, woke up at 5 am and had a nice refreshing run before I showered and got to start my day in beautiful Seoul.

Maybe coming back home wasn’t a bad idea, I already love it, and the neighbours are friendly and welcoming. Since school starts tomorrow, I will enjoy my day with my family meeting old friends.

Btw, mom still trying to match me with the right person, she honestly thinks if I don’t settle with someone soon, then I never will, she even used ‘I want to see your kids before I die’ card. I know she wants the best for me, she is my favourite woman on earth, and who doesn’t love their mom anyway!

Sungyeol hasn’t changed, he is still the young boy I left before I travel to the state and it’s great it means I get to watch him grow up this time.

 

And oh, remember the boy I met two days ago on the plane?

He is coming to my house tonight.

 

.

.

.

Two days ago

On the plane

 

“Mom, it’s not a big deal, school starts in two days why are you making a fuzz out of nothing?” 

Sunggyu removed his mobile from his ears not wanting to listen to his mother’s nag!! Not that she was wrong she had the right to scold her immature son for extending his vacation for one more week resulting in skipping his first two days in college, yup Sunggyu lied to his mother and told her that college starts after the weekend!!!

“I have just talked to Sungyeol!!! He told me school started Two days ago.”

“Mom, mom, I can’t hear you- hello- hel- hell.” And with that Sunggyu ended the call, of course, faking the bad service.

“Excuse me; this is my seat.”

Sunggyu ignored the guy and made another call, “Yeol, you idiot why did you tell mom the truth!!!”

“It wasn’t me; professor Heechul sent a warning to your house! You skipped two days for god sake!!!”

“!!!! I need to pass his history class Yeol my future depends on this, professor Heechul isn’t easy to deal with, I’ve heard rumours about him.”

“Well, you should’ve thought about this before you decide to bail out from his class! That is not high school anymore!!”

“I mixed up my schedule I thought we don’t start his class till next week, Yeolie~~~ help me~~~~ you said you have connections?”

“Fine, I’ll see what I can do buddy.”

“Thank you, thank you, I have to go the plane is about to take off.”

“Excuse me, that’s my chair” the guy repeated in a calm tone after Sunggyu ended the call, the younger looked up giving the guy standing uninterested face, he simply unbuckled his seat belt and moved to the next chair, “Was that your friend?”

“Huh?”

“The call.”

“Why do you care? Weirdo” Sunggyu put on his headphones and closed his eyes only to be interrupted again when the guy pulled the AUX wire from his mobile, “YAH, do you want to die!”

“I wouldn’t mind if it were you” the guy stretched his hand, “Nam Woohyun, and you are?”

“Not interested” Sunggyu pulled the AUX wire from Woohyun mumbling, “I should’ve got the wireless one.”

“College can be rigorous if you skipped a day without a believable excuse.”

“I didn’t skip college, what made you think I skipped college? Who are you to question me, to begin with!!!!!”

“I remember me and my friend used to have a hard time back then- what was his name? Mm, yeah Heechul, he is a professor now and hard to deal with he doesn’t even accept late attendance.”

“You know professor Heechul?”

“Hmm, he is my best friend, we studied history together, btw I’m a High school teacher, I teach history.”

Sunggyu nodded, “And that is supposed to help me in which way Ajusshi?” then it hit him, maybe he can use that stranger to help him, “Ajusshi, are you saying you will help?”

“Hmm”

“Here, save your number.”

Boys nowadays have no caution!! How can he easily give a complete stranger his number!!! Woohyun took Sunggyu’s mobile and saved his number then gave himself a ringtone, “Send me information about you, I don’t want to sound dumb defending someone I don’t know.”

Sunggyu grinned happily, “Sunggyu, I go to Seoul University majoring in History, isn’t this an amazing coincidence!!!”

“It is.”

“Ajusshi, aren’t you late to school too? I mean school already started.”

“First stop calling me Ajusshi!!!”

Sunggyu pouted thinking, “What should I call you then?”

“Call me Hyung.”

“But you’re a teacher.”

“So?”

“It means you’re old.”

“I’m only 30.”

“Yup, Ajusshi it is.”

“How old are you?”

“21” Woohyun gave him the are you kidding me look, “Fine, 20, yah stop looking at me like that, I’m 20.”

Woohyun faced the front and buckled his seatbelt, the flight is going to take off any minute “If you’re going to lie to me then I won’t talk to professor Heechul.”

“Geez, fine I’m 19- 18 I’m 18 happy!!!” Sunggyu did the same with the seatbelt, “Can’t you take a joke Ajusshi?” he then added, “Ajusshi, which school you teach in?”

“Woollim high.”

“Daebak!! My cousin goes there, be nice to him; he is an orphan.”

“His parents are dead?”

“I just told he is an orphan, duh!!” Sunggyu shook his head, “God you are an Ajusshi.”

Woohyun smiled loving how adorable Sunggyu was; the boy caught his attention from the line by the gate, he switched seats with the passenger sitting next to the younger and because Sunggyu wasn’t paying any attention he didn’t know.

 

Woohyun felt a cold hand holding his hand when the plane started to depart, Sunggyu had his eyes all closed taking deep breaths mumbling something.

“I guess you’re not a fan of planes” Sunggyu was about to retrieve his hand but Woohyun took it to his lap and held it tight, “It’s okay, I don’t mind.”

 

.

.

.

Back to current time

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter