Minho: Finally

That's Life

 

 

October 1st

 

 

 

Minho sighed as he helped his little brother get ready for school. 

He’s hand-me-down shirt that his brother had on had a huge whole in it because a seam came a loose causing it to tear open.

“I didn’t mean too!” Minseok whined.

“It’s not your fault Seok. It’s an old shirt.” He said helping him take it back off. He’s brother was still in elementary school so they didn’t have to wear uniforms yet like he did. 

Today was picture day for him so he had to find him a nice shirt. And his others weren’t taking to the dry cleaners yet. Of course the only nice shirt available has a whole in it. 

“Come here.” He said signaling for his little brother to follow him to his room. 

“You can borrow one of my shirts, okay?” 

He said pulling out one of his shirts that was required for his uniform. Of course his only other uniform shirt wasn’t clean either. He would probably get in trouble for not wearing the right shirt to school but he wanted his brother to look nice on his picture day.

“It’s too big!” Minseok said.

“Tuck it in your pants okay? And I’m begging you, please make sure this shirt comes back in good condition. Alright? Mom worked hard to get these expensive clothes.” 

He nodded.

“What do you say?” He raised his eyebrow.

“Thank you Hyung!” He ran to his room to finish getting ready.

“Ya! When your done come back and let me do your hair!” Minho yelled. 

Their mom had already left to work so he didn’t think too much about being loud. She worked two jobs and they wouldn’t see her until later that afternoon. 

 

-

 

He lost track of time that morning and ended almost being late to class, he was trying to find the most appropriate shirt to wear for the day and forgot to pack his bag for soccer practice as he was worried about helping his little brother. He he walked in right before the bell rang. He earned a disapproving glare from the teacher as well.

One of his first classes was with Kibum, as they were he only ones in their friend group who was in the same year so they shared many classes together.

“Ya! Minho, your shirt? Your gonna get in trouble if a teacher notices.” He whispered yelled to him as Minho took his seat next to him.

“I know, I know. But Mins-“

“Mr. Choi, Mr. Kim! No talking.” The teacher said.

Minho sank in his chair. He knew it was going to be a rough day.

 

Of course his instincts were right.

One of his teachers who took the school rules too seriously and reported him to the office for not wearing the official shirt that went with the uniform. He didn’t get into major trouble but they said they would report it to his coach. Whenever a student was in trouble for anything even if it was small, they had to be reported to any extra curricular activities. Great. Practice would be fun today.

Besides that, a friend of his in class was in trouble so of course he felt the need to save the day. 

It was Irene’s third time forgetting to bring her homework to class. If she had been caught she would get in serious trouble and possibly suspended from the cheerleading team. Irene had told Minho of his worries, she never ask for Minho to give his homework to her. He offered because he was that kind hearted. He knew he would get in trouble yet again, but Irene was always very nice to him.

“Thank you so much Minho. You really saved my life. Seriously!” She said looking over the papers.

“No problem, Noona.”

No use in two people getting in trouble he reasoned in his head.

 

And of course he was late to his practice.

On days like this when his mom worked both jobs backed to back, it was his responsibility to pick his brother up from school. He would have made it in time if it wasn’t for the fact that his brother was begging for food. He had to find the nearest convient store that he could buy a cheap snack with the little bit of pocket money he had left from his allowance. 

Venturing out of the original plan made him miss his train back to his school. 

He rubbed angrily and impatiently at his head as they waited for the next train. 

He ceased his actions and looked down when he felt a tug on his sleeve.

“Thank you, Hyung.” Minseok said with his hand outstretched towards him with the last bit of bread he had left from his snack in his hands. He had a innocent smile surrounded by crumbs on his face that made it hard for Minho to stay mad or irritated at him.

“Your welcome Minseok. It’s okay, you can eat the rest, alright?” He said grabbing his hand and lacing their fingers together. 

“When will mommy be back home tonight?” He asked stuffing his face with the last piece.

“Ahh, well you know today mommy works from 6 until 1 at the coffee shop. And after that she works from 2 until 11 at the restaurant. So when mommy gets back, she’s going to want to rest, so don’t bother her, hmm?” He said reminding him of their mother’s Tuesday schedule. 

She was able to work her way up to being a manager at both places she worked. So she made decent money, but was it enough to take care of two growing boys? Barely. 

“Okay...,” Minseok frowned.

 

-

 

Minho ended up being fifteen minutes late to practice. He stopped to change into his practice clothes in the schools bathroom before coming out to the field. He ran out onto the field with his little brother trailing after him.

The look on his coaches face let him know he was definitely in trouble. 

“Coach.” Minho said while giving a deep bow.

His coach just shook his head as he took out a small soccer ball and handed it to his little brother.

“Have at it kid.” He said.

“Thank you sir!” Minseok said before skipping off with the ball.

Minho brought his little brother to practice almost everyday, his coach knew of his predicament. So he brought balls for him to play with.

“Minho, what the hell is going on with you today? Huh? I hear you didn’t wear your uniform and didn’t do your homework? Now your late to practice?”

Minho’s face winced as he held his down his head in shame. He could hear his teammates snickering as they practiced behind him. 

“I...my brother needed my shirt. And my friend really needed my homework. And my brother was hungry so I got him food before I got here...” He said hoping he would understand.

“I’m not trying to make excuses sir, I promise. I just-“

“It’s alright Minho I understand.”

Minho lifted up his head slightly to see his 

coaches reaction. He wore a look of contemplation on his face, he was hoping the punishment wouldn’t be to severe.

“I’ll be honest with you Minho. If you were any other player I’d bench you for the next game. But your one of my best players so I need you out there next week.” 

Minho internally let out a sigh of relief.

“But you have to be punished in some way. I want fifteen laps. When your done I want four different leg exercises, twenty each. Sprint the field ten times. And ten shots at the goals, without missing.” 

Minho grimaced. But he liked a physical challenge. He knew for sure he would be dead tired after practice with a whiney brother to take care of. 

Once practice was over the team had their usual team talk at the end. 

His coach released him with a warning for him not to end up in anymore trouble. 

Practice was done around seven. 

The train was packed around this time in the evening so he had no choice but to stand on his soar feet. He kept his brother close to him by wrapping his arm around him.

He laid his head against the window and watched how the outside world and the train tracks went by in a blur.

On their ride home Minho couldn’t help but to think about his mom. He missed the days when his mom used to pick him up from practice and take him and Minseok to get ice cream after. That was before his father stopped sending money to help provide for his sons. That’s when it got a lot harder for them and she had to pick up two jobs.

His mom was so selfless and did everything for him and Minseok. People often said he was just like her in that sense. His friends would get mad because he hardly put himself first. But Minho didn’t see anything wrong with it. He liked helping people and seeing them happy. 

He looked down only to see that Minseok was leaning on him with his full weight because he had fallen asleep standing up.

He didn’t want to bother him but their stop was coming up next.

They eventually made their way off and the train to take their path home.

As soon as they got in the house He knew he had to feed Minseok.

His mom taught him how to cook when he was thirteen, around the time she left them home alone for work and Minho started babysitting.

“Hyung! I want Bulgogi!” The ten year old cheered from his spot at the table.

“Huh? That’s expensive Minseok. Besides we don’t even have that...” He said checking the fridge.

“What do we have?” He asked.

Their was food, but honestly not enough to satisfy the stomach of two growing boys. But it would have to do.

“How about...rice and with some ttoekbokki?” It was simple and he had all the ingredients for it.

“Okay.” Minseok shrugged.

Minho was exhausted but he knew he had to take care of him first.

He was able to make the dish in under thirty minutes.

He only had enough for one serving for the two and some left over for their mom.

Is she was able to, sometimes she would bring left overs from the restaurant for them if she didn’t get caught.

Minho shoves his food down his throat but was confused to see his brother eating so slowly.

“What’s this?” He laughed.

“You complained about food earlier, now look at you.” He smiled. But it went away when he saw his brother wearing a solemn look.

“I miss mommy.” He pouted.

“Oh...” Minho has gotten used to this ruetine, but he understood it was harder for him since he was younger.

How could he fix this?

“I know your bed time is at nine, but how about this...” He said tapping his chin with his finger.

“I’ll stay up and wake you up when mom comes home, alright? So you can see her for a little bit. Sounds cool?”

Minseok nodded his head frantically.

“Good! Now eat your food quickly and get ready for bed. The faster you go to sleep the faster you can see mommy!”

“Okay!” With that he did as he was told.

He tried not to doze off as he waited for his mom within the next few hours, because he knew if he feel asleep he wouldn’t get back up until his alarm went off.

His mom walked through the door around 11:30ish, startling him as he had slightly dozed off at the kitchen table.

“Minho? What are you doing awake? It’s nearly midnight!” She said looking just as startled herself.

“How was your day?” He asked sleepily as he got up to wrap his mom in a hug.

“Why are you up sweety?” She asked again while caressing his head.

“Seok missed you, I told him I’d stay awake and let him know when you got him.” He said with his eyes half open.

“Minho! Go to sleep. My sleepy child! I’ll go to Minseok myself.”

She rushed him off to bed to get his rest.

“Finally.” He said as he laid himself in his bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments would be nice ;-D Im not sure how many people are reading this story