aches

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Umji woke up early, her stomach wasn't doing very well, and was feeling funny. Crawling out from under her blanket, she yelped as she fell off ehr bed with a light thud. Holding her stomach, she whined, it was hurting for some reason.

"Yewon ah? Are you already awake baby?"

Her mother came in and gasped, immediately picking her daughter off the floor.

"What's wrong honey?"

"My tummy hurts."

Shivering as a stab of pain ran its course, Umji grit her teeth to hold in the pain. She had school to go to in a bit. Sat on her bed, she wondered why her mother wasn't hurrying her to get dressed for school.

"Mama?"

She was mumbling to herself, but Umji could catch a few stray words, "work....daycare.....school...flu....", waiting patiently, she greeted her siblings who also came to check if she had woken up, to make it to their school on time as well, since, they all left together.

"What's wrong with Yewonnie mom?"

"She's got a stomach ache, but I can't think of what could have caused it, since she's got an empty stomach, I think it could be the flu? Or just an upset tummy? did you not digest well honey?"

"I wouldn't know?"

"Right, right, you were sleeping so well too."

Sighing, Umji's mother caressed her head softly and told her to do her best to get dressed.

"I think I'm going to call the school and tell them that you're not goming."

"Huh? Then why are you telling me to get dressed?"

"I can't take today off, I have an important meeting, but I'll call off the second half of the day, after the meeting and come straight back for you okay baby?"

Umji nodded as her brother came back with a small dose of pink medicine, she scrunched her nose up at the smell.

"Come on Yewon ah, it'll at least take the pain away."

"But oppa I don't-"

"Drink it, please?"

"Fine..."

Taking the pink liquid and gulping down water, she grimaced before getting up to get dressed. Her sister followed after her, carrying a small bit of bread to feed her, you should never have just medicine in your stomach, you need at least a little bit of food to cushion it.

"I should be done by noon, but you know how meetings go, they never end on time."

Her mother worriedly turned her schedules over.

"I'll call your father to see if he can come by to check on you at least at the daycare."

"Okay mom."

Having taken her medicine and had some breakfast, Umji was sent off to daycare with a small backpack of easy to eat snacks for her weak stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laying on the sleeping mats, Umji hugged a pillow to her stomach, she wasn't feeling that bad anymore, but her stomach was still a little annoying to feel.

"Hey, stop being angry okay? I promise not to eat right before bed."

"Mm? Muji?"

Propping herself up on one arm, Umji grinned as she saw a familiar face, waving her over, she immediately attached to her side.

"Eunha unnie! Good monring, why are you here this early?"

"Me? I'm here because I had a doctor's appointment and missed the first bit of school, Muji ah, it's already 11:30, it's not really morning anymore."

Umji looked confusedly at the clock, when did the time pass?

"I must have fallen asleep earlier."

"Why are you here then muji ah? Did your school have a break or something?"

"Mm, I just have an upset tummy, it hurt when I woke up, but mama said it might be a flu and I took some medicine, I'll be going home early from here."

Eunha nodded and hugged Umji warmly, careful to keep the younger's stomach warm and covered by the blankets. She carefully tucked the blanket between them. Laying down on her side, Eunha lay her head on her arm to look after Umji closely. Accidentally, her arm brushed the bandages on her neck, the pressure through her sweater made her hiss a little in pain. Quickly rolling on her back, Eunha grimaced as the pain began to recede slowly.

"Eunha unnie?"

"Oh?"

"Are you okay? You seem to be in pain."

"It's nothing Muji ah, does your stomach feel better than before you slept at least?"

"Of course!"

Eunha smiled softly as Umji continued to babble reasons why she felt better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were coloring together when the door opened, Umji's father entered the room with a little plastic baggy.

"Yewon ah, I brought you lunch."

"Daddy, this is Eunha unnie."

"Nice to meet you."

Eunha bowed awkwardly, watching as he smiled. He set out the things for Umji to eat as she watched from the side, she felt like she didn't quite belong.

"What are you doing not eating?"

"Huh?"

"There's plenty enough for you too, go on."

"Eunha unnie, it's just porridge, if you don't like plain, then don't eat it."

Umji stuck out her tongue as all she could taste was water, despite the chunky bits of half melted rice. Eunha reluctantly accepted the food, she couldn't help but feel jealous that Umji's father came to get his daughter something for her stomach. Sure, her parents loved her, cared for her and all, but there was never a time when they would come rushing to see her at daycare because she wasn't feeling well. The situation now is different, she had something that could potentially kill her, and her parents were careful around her.

She ate her porridge bitterly, she wasn't even hungry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blinked roughly, Eunha tried to keep her head up as she listened to Umji practicing her English reading skills, it wasn't like her to get this tired this early in the day, waht Umji was reading wasn't even boring.

"Eunha unnie?"

"Oh?"

"You seem sleepy."

"I do, don't I?"

Eunha pinched her own cheeks and rubbed her face to clear her sleepiness, but it didn't help. A random sentence came to mind as she felt the world spin for a second.

"Some symptoms may be lethargy, fever, or weight loss."

"Hey, Yewon?"

"Yea?"

"Could you look up what lethargy means?"

Eunha held her head in her hands, it was definitely spinning now, something was wrong, very wrong.

"Unnie, you really don't look so well, should I call an adult?"

"No, just look up what lethargy means, please."

Umji worriedly went ot get the dictionary, carefully sounding out the word to find it.

"Unnie, it means to feel tired, or sleepy at times. Unnie?"

Umji looked up from her book, seeing Eunha passed out over the table. She tossed her book aside and ran to Eunha's side to check her before running outside to get an adult.

"Eunha unnie!"

===================

I think, it's really refreshing to wake up to read a chapter and read lovely comments :) thank you guys

countdown: two days until Jessica's appearance♥