getting closer

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

SinB was reading her princess book that Krystal bought her, happily sounding out the stories to make Umji happier with her pronounciation and reading skills. Looking up as she finished the last page of The Little Mermaid, SinB noticed her small packet of gummy worms that she still had from the day before's shopping. Opening the ziplock bag that Tiffany told her to keep her leftovers in, she popped on in , smiling at the sweetness of the jelly.

"Jellies are great."

Leaning against the table while she had the gummy worms, she remembered the allowance Tiffany gave her yesterday, but she didn't get to use it. Pulling them out of her coat pocket, she stared at it.

"What could I buy with 10$?" (usd too lazy to do won conversions)

Humming, SinB put it in her shorts pocket and went downstairs. Since Jessica left, Tiffany had told SinB to use it, since, technically it was a room for SinB but Jessica happened to be visiting when SinB joined the orphanage.

"Tiffany unnie?"

"Yes honey?"

"What does Jessica unnie like?"

"Like? Uh off the top of my head, fried chicken."

SinB's eyebrows drew together.

"If I give you this much, how much fried chicken can you get?"

Tiffany held the dollar bills and counted them realizing that SinB hadn't spent any of it at all. Spying the bag of gummies still in SinB's other hand, Tiffany just patted her head.

"You wanted to bring Jessica fried chicken when you met her again?"

"Yea! Sort of."

"Sort of?"

"I dunno, what we're gonna do? Sit there? Like usual?"

"Well, what do you think Jessica would do when she saw you?"

"Um...she might get mad?"

"Why would she get mad?"

"Because....because she might find out that we're lying to her?"

Tiffany chuckled and pinched SinB's cheeks.

"It's not lying Eunbi ah, it's just pretend."

SinB nodded and listened, her cheeks slightly puffed out. She wasn't sure how to pass the rest of her day. Tiffany watched as SinB sat back down at the couch by the fireplace, staring into space.

"Hah, it's too early for a child like her to be so brooding."

"Taetae!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waking up with a start, SinB blinked and looked at her surroundings, she must have fallen asleep at the couch when her mind blanked. Looking out the window, she noticed that the sun was going past the midpoint in the sky. Did she miss lunch?

"Eunbi? You're awake now?"

"Mm."

Running into the kitchen, SinB happily received a tuna fish sandwich and sat at the table, not quite sitting on the chair, rather kneeling on it to be at the correct height for the table. Chewing her sandwich carefully with her cheeks filled, SinB curiously looked at the inside of her sandwich, finding the little bits of egg and apples in it.

"Eunbi do you know if you're allergic to any seafood? I'm pretty sure you didn't based off your info sheet, but just to make sure."

"Just grapes, but grapes aren't seafood, so no. No allergies."

Ripping her bread into pieces and popping it in , SinB was wiggling around in her seat from joy. Food was always a  mood booster. Finishing her sandwich, SinB was chewing her last bite, now sat on the edge of the chair, waiting to jump off once she was done.

Swinging her legs a bit, SinB watched as Taeyeon and Tiffany were still doing the dishes together, a few of the kids helping, or trying to help. Hurrying off the chair, SinB brought her plate over, holding it above her head to catch the adults' attention.

"Oh! Why thank you Eunbi, so mannerly~."

SinB just smiled and walked away. Hearing a knock at the door, SinB looked at the main door, then back at Tiffany who was just as confused.

Calling out as she approached the door, Tiffany hurriedly dried her hands on her apron.

"Who is it?"

"It's Krys."

"Ah! What are you doing here today?"

"Hm? Got bored, needed something to do, then remembered little munchkin here."

Krystal ruffled SinB's hair making the child whine and try to fix it to the way it was. Tiffany had scolded her for not combing her hair after shower and threatened to tell Umji about it, which SinB didn't need her best friend to be nagging her any more than she already did to her daily messy hair she went to school with. It wasn't that Tiffany didn't care how SinB went to school, hair a mess or clothes askew or not, simply because there were more misbehaved children here that Tiffany can't just focus on one.

"I see you're getting closer with her; she isn't shying from your touch today."

"I guess so. Do you still think I'm scary munchkin?"

"No, but what does munchkin mean?"

"Its a big green monster who eats little children who misbehave."

SinB shivered and stepped away from Krystal, monsters were scary. Tiffany smacked Krystal's with a loud slap, reprimanding her for trying to trick the child into beliving that munchkin was the name of a monster that was about to eat her on Krystal's orders.

"Eunbi, munchkin is just a nickname to call a smaller person, in this case, you're smaller than Krystal here, and much cuter as well as a glutton. So, you can be called a little munchkin. See? Munch for food, kin for family."

SinB paled and stepped backwards.

"They eat their families?"

"No! No no, ugh this wasn't how it was supposed to go."

Krystal was just laughing uncontrollably at SinB's response, the child really thought that munchkin was a monster who ate families. How cute and innocent.

=============

who's mad that I didn't continue Yuju's story today? :)