unnie

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Yerin hummed as she helped Sowon wash the dishes, stood on a stool, next to Sowon who was barely on her toes, she could reach the sink easily.

"Unnie, how tall do you think you'll grow?"

"Hm? I guess, a few more centimeters would be great, I want to be as tall as my unnie after all."

"Haha, I think you'll be taller than her."

"Really? You think so?"

Sowon looked worriedly at her legs, she seemed to be in a growth spurt, her eighth birthday was coming next month. Looking back to Yerin she pouted a little.

"I hope you grow with me, I don't want to tower over everyone."

"I'll do my best."

They worked together, Sowon handing the cleaned dishes, Yerin drying them and putting them neatly in the drying rack. It was a funny notion for Yerin, if she had already dried them, shouldn't it go back in the shelves? But no, after drying them, Sowon's family left it out for a little longer on the racks, perhaps to remember not to use the same dishes over and over again.

Finishing up the dishes and going to the living room, they sat together on the couch, Yerin smiling softly and looking into her lap. Sowon watched her carefully, before taking one of Yerin's hands into her own.

"Are you worried?"

"A little."

Leaning her cheek on Yerin's shoulder, Sowon sighed.

"I don't want you to go."

"Me too. But I have to."

Yerin was going to go home the next day, Saturday. Her mom was discharged earlier today and told Yerin that she would come get her tomorrow.

"I'll be here for you."

"I know. I just have to be brave."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

They took turns, poking at the plastic ice.

"Unnie, it's your turn."

Sowon's sister carefully picked one on the edge, away from the penguin's precarious perch. Successfully poking it out, she handed the poking hammer to Yerin, who stared at her options.

She needed to get one ice block out without making the rest of the ice fall, and the penguin too. Tapping with the plastic hammer, Yerin tested a few blocks to see if they would make the penguin tremble. Picking a darker blue one, Yerin swung once, and knocked it clean out.

"Woah! I totally thought it would fall!"

"Hehe, I'm good at this game at least."

Sowon side hugged Yerin warmly, her arm around the younger's shoulders, encouraging her in her one on one fight with Sowon's sister, Sowon had knocked the penguin down in their first round, so they were fighting it out for the best.

"I have to-"

Sowon's sister's phone buzzed and she looked away quickly to check what it was. Checking her messages she grumbled a little before grabbing the hammer again.

"It's a shame I have to go out this way, but- congratulations Yerinnie, you are today's champion!"

Making a big swing, she knocked everything down with a precise hit to the top of the penguin's head, making Sowon pout.

"Unnie you have to go again?"

"Yea, I do little munchkin, my partners didn't finish their parts yet, and they're running out of time. I've been called to help them."

"But unnie already did her part."

"I know I did, but I'm team leader, although anonymously."

Ruffling her sister's hair one last time, Sowon's older sister grabbed her keys and her bag before heading out into the dark of the night.

"They should just do their own parts. Stupid idiots."

"Don't call them idiots, call them lazy idiots unnie."

Sowon grinned and high fived Yerin.

"That's right! Lazy idiots! Stop taking my sister from me!"

Looking each other in the eye, they both nodded before running to the open veranda. Hanging ont eh railings, Sowon shouted out into the night.

"DO YOUR OWN PARTS!"

"Unnie should we be yelling so loudly this late?"

"GIVE ME BACK MY SISTER!"

"Um, Sojung unnie?"

"YAH! People are trying to sleep!"

Sowon stuck her tongue out as Yerin just sighed with a smile. Sowon's mother had woken up again. Taking Sowon's ahnd, Yerin pulled her to Sowon's room, their room.

Tucking in after turning out the lights, Yerin lay on her back, looking up at the ceiling where the flashes of passing by cars casted shadows of the metal bars outside the windows onto the ceiling.

"Is that rain I hear?"

"I think so, do you think my sister has her umbrella?"

"I dunno, I didn't see her take one, does she have one in her bag?"

"I don't remember if she packed it."

Sowon pouted and sat up, what if her sister got caught in the rain? She didn't want her to be sick.

"Can we use your mom's phone to send her a message?"

"We can! You're a genius!"

Soown squished her cheek to Yerin's quickly as thanks before jumping off the bed and running out the hallway. Grabbing ehr mother's cellphone out of her purse, Sowon quickly tapped in the password, the sum of her birthday and her sister's birthday. Opening messages, Sowon found her sister's name and tapped out a text.

To: Kkeun Dal (is that how you spell it romanized? eldest daughter? clsoe enough)

[Unnie! It's raining! Do you have your umbrella?]

[Sojung ah! Go to bed! Mom will yell at you if you stay up later!]

[But do you have your umbrella, unnie?]

[I don't actually, don't worry, I wasn't caught by the rain, I'll have one of my partners drive me home.]

[Really? You'll really get home safely? I want to tell mom to bring you an umbrella.]

[It's fine Sojung ah, I'll be back before you know it, well, you should be asleep by now. Good night sweety.]

[Aw fine, good night unnie. Also Yerin says good night too.]

[Good night to Yerinnie as well!]

 

Sowon smiled a little as she put away her mom's phone, taking Yerin's hand, they went back to bed peacefully.

===============

I have midterrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmms again. How many of you would be sad if Jeti didn't happen? Just....I was told that they'd be sad if I did it...but it...aw spoilers...