learning is important, but?

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Yewon yawned as she walked over to her seat, she was the first in the classroom that morning, her mother had an early meeting to attend and her father was already at work as usual, she sat down at her seat and placed her arms on the desk, stretching her limbs. She did want to grow taller, stretching across her table until her chin touched, she squeaked a little getting up.

"Oh? Yewon ah, you're here early?"

"Ne, good morning teacher."

"Good morning! I'll just be setting things up for class today, we'll be making decorations for Halloween."

"Halloween? Isn't it too early? October has just started."

"Yewon ah, it's never too early to celebrate a holiday, come on, do you want to help me?"

Yewon got up from her seat and walked over to the teacher's desk at the front of the classroom, helping her teacher push it to the middle rather than off to the sides. Then, she helped count out colored papers in a stack for her classmates later. Were they going to cut the orange colored papers?

"Yewon ah, since when were you here?"

"Uhm....8:30?"

Her teacher nodded, it wasn't that odd, to see a student there before herself at this daycare. Many of her students came from either wealthy families or families who weren't wealthy but paid for a better education.

"Do your parents treat you well?"

"Of course, we always eat dinner together, even if we can't have lunch or breakfast together. Well, I have breakfast with unnie and oppa and omma, but appa is already at work since before I wake up."

"Do you miss him?"

"I do, but it's okay, he's making money and he loves me very much."

"That's great."

Having her hair ruffled a little, Yewon was a little confused why was her teacher....giving such a sad atmosphere?

"Teacher? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine little one."

Then the other students started to enter and her teacher nudged her to go take her seat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're going to fold this in half and cut along the marked curve."

Yewon had her little safety scissors, trying to follow the printed line on the white paper. It was the outline of a pumpkin and they folded it in half to make the process faster, as the pumpkin was symmetrical. Struggling to cut the paper with the safety scissors, Yewon sighed and began to slowly tear the paper instead.

"Yewon? You're supposed to use the scissors."

"Teacher it won't cut."

Her teacher headed over, with her big scissors and quickly helped her cut out the rest of it, handing the perfectly cut out pumpkin back to Yewon.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Does anyone else need help?"

Yewon twisted the bottom of her stick of glue, trying to push it out the top, only to realize that she had forgotten to take off the cap. Successfully popped the cap off, she easily twisted out her stick of glue and began to apply it to her orange paper. It bothered her that a white pumpkin was going on an orange background, rather than an orange pumpkin going on a white background, but Yewon had already given up questioning the teacher's ways. Just let it be and learn.

"Kids, I'm releasing you to recess a little early today okay? There are things I need to set up."

Yewon watched her teacher a little longer before leaving the classroom, were they going to apply glitter? That's a problem. To clean that is. Wandering aimlessly around the playground, she made her way to her tree and sat down. She pulled up the hood on her jacket and leaned back, looking up at the sky.

"Under the sky."

Yewon had wanted to look for shapes in the clouds, but that morning, the sun didn't peek through, white clouds covered everything.

"Oh? You're early."

"Eh? Eunbi yah."

SinB crawled out from under the bush, making her way to sit next to Yewon, making small grumbles about her jacket not having a hood.

"Usually I have some time to make it here before your recess bell-"

SinB was cut off by the loud recess bell, they watched as more students ran out from their classrooms.

"Rang."

"Then does that mean that your recess starts earlier and ends later?"

"Yeah, fun right? Not really. It was boring."

"Was?"

"It's not as boring with you."

Yewon smiled, reaching over to link their fingers together, she leaned her head on SinB's shoulder. Sighing a little in happiness.

"I'm having fun with you too."

"Of course you do, you're hanging with the one and old Hwang Eunbi!"

They giggled together, not noticing the sun beginning to burn through the clouds, busy talking with each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yewon almost skipped to the bus stop, waiting on the sidewalk next to the bus. She wanted to get on the bus with SinB and Moon bin.

(I realize that Umji calls Moon bin binnie, but eh)

"Omuji!"

Turning at the sound of her nickname, Yewon smiled brightly to see her friends running up to her. SinB engulfed Yewon in a hug, full on body blocking Moon bin from reaching her completely.

"Yah!"

"Yah you! Yewon is mine!"

Yewon just giggled, letting SinB lead her up the steps to the bus and pushing her to sit with her, this time allowing Moon bin to sit in the aisle with Yewon in the middle, SinB wasn't always that mean.

"What did you guys do in class today?"

"Hn? My class learned how to count."

"My class learned how to do somersaults."

SinB and Moon bin looked each other competitively in the eyes, Moon bin spoke first.

"Hey, learning to count is important!"

"And learning to somersault is more interesting! Yewon already can do the times tables!"

"What?!"

Moon bin looked at Yewon incredulously, was she really that smart?

"You really know multipleecation?"

"I do, but you know what? I don't know how to somersault."

Moon bin groaned as Yewon had a cheeky grin on her lips.

"Not you too, come on, stop influencing Yewon so much Eunbi ah!"

"Hey, it's not my fault she's mine, merong!"

SinB stuck her tongue out in jest, making Yewon laugh harder.

=================

can we just say, umb are theeeeeeee cutest in the world?