One

Mr Tall, Cute, and Arrogant

 

 

Yukwon loved dogs. In fact he had two dogs of his own, a little white Shih Tzu named Toto, and a brown pug named Pangy. They were his precious babies, and Yukwon took a lot of pleasure in spoiling them rotten. They had an extensive wardrobe for both summer and winter, plus matching couple outfits. Little toy cars to ride around in, Yukwon even owned a baby sling for when they were out and about, and one of them got tired. 

 

Everyday, he would post a new photo, or video to his friend’s chat group, and it drove his Hyung Minhyuk crazy. When Yukwon would post something new of Toto or Pangy doing adorable things, like rolling over, or sleeping; Minhyuk Hyung would reply that Yukwon needed to get out, to get a life, to take an interest in something other than dogs, and romantic dramas? To illustrate his point, Minhyuk would often change Yukwon’s username to Wallflower, or Crazy Dog Guy. Yukwon didn’t take offence, his Hyung wasn’t a dog lover that’s all. 

 

Also, Yukwon was perfectly happy with his nights at home, snuggled on the couch with Pangy and Toto, watching a drama. In contrast, Taeil Hyung would coo over Yukwon’s cute videos, always calling them adorable. Taeil was his favourite Hyung, and Yukwon really did love dogs.

 

___

 

When Yukwon found himself flat on his back, staring up into the furry brown and white face of a massive St Bernard, he wasn’t quite sure how to feel about it. The dog stood on his chest it’s huge front paws pushing down on his rib cage, and Yukwon watched in horrid fascination as a long string of drool loomed ever closer to his face. The dog wouldn’t budge. Yukwon had tried unsuccessfully to move the massive beast off of him, but it had let a low growl, and he’d stiffened in fear. Now they were at an impasse, both waiting. Yukwon was waiting for it to rip his throat out, or possibly drown him in doggy slobber. And the St Bernard? He had no idea what it was waiting for. 

 

Suddenly it dropped down into a crouch on top of him and started humping his thigh. For a moment he was frozen in shock, his brain trying to overcome the fact that he was being molested by giant dog in a public park. 

 

“Zico! Get off, you crazy mutt!” The shout came from close by, but Yukwon wasn’t willing to shift his gaze from the long stream of drool getting ever closer, to see who it was. Suddenly, the dog leapt up, powerful back legs kicking in to Yukwon’s stomach. 

 

“Uhh,” Yukwon groaned, rolling to his side and curling up into a fetal position.

 

“Jesus, why do you have to embarrass me every time we go out?” Someone crouched down next to him, white Nikes and muscled thighs visible through fashionably ripped denim appeared in his field of vision. 

 

“Are you okay?” Too busy still trying to catch his breath, Yukwon could only nod faintly.

 

The guy took Yukwon’s upper arm and helped him into a sitting position. Toto immediately rushed to hop on his lap, and Yukwon thought of Pangy. He needn’t have worried, as Pangy was currently amusing himself in a large pile of leaves a couple of meters away. At least one of his dogs had been concerned for him.

 

He realised that the guy was still holding onto his arm, and Yukwon shook him off uncomfortably, looking at him for the first time. He was good looking, maybe about Yukwon’s age, with dark hair and intense eyes. A big grin split his face, and his eyes twinkled in amusement. Yukwon could feel the heat spreading through his cheeks and down his neck. 

 

“Are you laughing?”

 

The guy shook his head, but his smile actually grew wider. “Absolutely not. Because that was not funny at all.” He said in mock seriousness.

 

Yukwon pursed his lips in annoyance. Was some big joke to the him? That his dog had just molested some poor bystander going about their day, was apparently funny to him? Trying to gather what remained of his dignity, Yukwon tucked Toto under his arm as he made to stand. Because he was not going to sit here any longer for this guy’s amusement. The guy leapt up quickly, offering his hand, and Yukwon eyed it for a moment, considering how impolite it would be if he ignored it, then decided that he didn’t care. 

 

He climbed to his feet, on his own, and immediately noticed that the other man was half a head taller. For some reason this irritated him more. The guy cleared his throat, as Yukwon dusted the leaves off of his jeans, trying to ignore the revolting wet patch on the front of his thigh.

 

“Zico is my Hyung’s dog. Sometimes I think that he’s not right in the head.” As if he knew that they were talking about him, Zico woofed from where he had flopped his large body on the grass a couple of meters away.  

 

“Your Hyung? Or his dog?” He said acidly, eyeing the monstrosity warily, as he indulgently allowed Pangy to crawl over him. Wondering whether he would have to come to Pangy’s rescue, Yukwon took a couple of hesitant steps closer.

 

“Both.” He laughed, and Yukwon’s gaze was drawn back to the guy. “My name is Woo Jiho. Can I ask yours?”

 

“Um-” Yukwon started, then stopped. This Woo Jiho had yet to even offer Yukwon an apology, and now he wanted his name. What Yukwon wanted to do, was ask this Woo Jiho where his manners were? Yet Yukwon had never possessed the confidence to do something like that, instead the man’s intense stare had Yukwon mumbling “Kim Yukwon.” 

 

“Can I buy you coffee Kim Yukwon-ssi?” Yukwon eyed him incredulously. A fresh rush of blood surged through his cheeks.  

 

“No. I ah- have an appointment.” He said, irked with himself for justifying his refusal. Sometimes, he wished his mother hadn’t brought him up so well. He crouched down again on the pretense of calling Pangy to him, but it was mostly to hide his red cheeks. 

 

“Pangy come here!” Pangy took a moment to look at him, before promptly turning back to continue chewing on Zico’s ear. Muttering darkly, Yukwon stood and took the few steps required to collect his ungrateful little brat of a dog. The St Bernard watched him indifferently, as he bent down to scoop up Pangy’s lead before hurriedly stepping back, and tugging the little dog with him.

 

“Kim Yukwon-ssi?” Yukwon looked at Jiho again, eyebrow raised. The other man stepped towards him and Yukwon actually flinched as his hand came up. Woo Jiho smirked. 

 

“Leaf. In your hair.” He said holding out his hand so that Yukwon could clearly see the leaf lying in his palm.  

 

“So do you walk your dogs in this park often?” Mouth closed in a thin line, he didn’t answer, and was well aware that his behaviour was almost bordering on hostile. HIs mother would scold him if she knew. 

 

“Okay…well, if you do, I just wanted to say see you again. Maybe?”

 

“Sure, see you.” Yukwon replied flatly and turned away. 

___

 

It had been nearly two weeks since what Yukwon referred to as the unfortunate incident. A week in which Yukwon had avoided taking Toto and Pangy to the local park near his apartment. Instead they’d made the twenty-five minute uphill walk to another small neighbourhood park. None of them enjoyed it. It was too far, and too hot. Pangy and Toto were irritable, squirming in his arms and nipping at each other, as he lugged them to and from the park. 

 

It had gotten old very quickly, and had only taken the week before Yukwon had decided that he’d had enough. Being back in his local park was familiar, and Yukwon liked familiar. It was quiet, as he wandered through, just a few elderly Ahjussis engrossed in their games of Baduk, and he watched idly for a few moments before allowing Pangy and Toto to pull him away. 

 

Yukwon wasn’t the only one pleased to be back in familiar territory. His dogs charged along the path, tails wagging excitedly as they sniffed out all their favourite places. There weren't many other dogs around and Yukwon felt confident enough to let them off their leads. He threw their play toys to them, before finding a shady spot on the grass and flopping down with a contented sigh.

 

There was a breeze blowing, that whisked through the fallen leaves, and Pangy lunged into them inquisitively. Always the brave one, but perhaps not the brightest. Yukwon laughed at his dog’s antics, and quickly reached for his phone. Pangy paid him no mind as he continued to pounce into the dead leaves, sending them flying into the air only to be picked up by the wind and blown further away.

 

Having recorded for a few seconds, Yukwon immediately sent the video to his group chat. Toto wandered back over to him, settling down in his lap, and he idly scratched her ears as he typed.

 

Happy to be back!

 

Taeil’s response came back almost instantly. 

 

Taeil: So adorable! Are you back at the park by your house?

 

Yeah, I don’t know why I stopped coming in the first place. 

 

Minhyuk: Because you were avoiding Mr Tall, Cute and Arrogant. And the monster dog!

 

Yukwon frowned and hastily typed a reply, fingers tapping the screen furiously. 

 

I never called him cute!!!

 

Minhyuk: You were blushing the whole time you were telling us the story.

 

Taeil: You were kind of red Kwonnie.

 

Yukwon huffed, drawing Toto’s attention. How they could possibly think that he was interested in that annoying, arrogant guy?

 

I was embarrassed! You would be too if you were molested by a monster dog in public!  

 

Minhyuk: But if it had been Mr Tall, Cute and Arrogant molesting you….;)

 

Taeil: Hahaha!

 

Hyung! I’m not talking to you anymore! Either of you!

 

Yukwon slipped the phone back into his pocket, ignoring the message notifications that continued to chime. He looked up, gaze flitting around the park absently, as he continued to stew over Minhyuk Hyung’s words.  Eyes wide, for a moment Yukwon couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Zico the St Bernard was running towards him at full pelt, long legs eating up the ground quickly. Yukwon squeaked, heart suddenly in his mouth. He scurried to his feet, Toto clutched under one arm, glancing around in panic. There! A park bench stood just a few meters away. He ran, in the back of his mind the fleeting thought that Pangy would have to fend for himself.

 

Just as Yukwon jumped onto the bench, he heard Zico bark from on his heels. Spinning, he found Zico’s front paws already on the bench, head just about level with his crotch. Yukwon let out another startled squeak, as he stumbled backwards, one arm windmilling wildly as he tried to stop himself from tumbling over the back of the bench. There was a moment when Yukwon was sure that he was going to fall, time seemed to slow down as he squeezed his eyes shut in preparation to face-plant. It never came.

 

A hand clasped his arm, pulling him in the opposite direction. Balance completely gone, Yukwon pitched forward with a yelp, unable to even brace himself. Instead of colliding with the hard ground though, he collided with a hard chest, and they went down in a tangle of limbs, Toto yapping frantically as Yukwon’s forehead hit someone’s chin and he saw stars. 

 

Completely stunned, it was a second before Yukwon finally groaned and blinked his eyes open.  What the hell had just happened? The first thing he saw was Toto sitting on the ground beside his head, and if dogs could convey intricate feelings, he was sure that her expression would be described as reproachful. The second thing he realised was that he was lying on another body, cheek pressed against chest, his head rising and falling minutely, in time with the other person's breathing. Then the pain hit, and he gasped loudly.

 

“What is it? Are you all right?” There were hands squeezing Yukwon’s waist, but he was too preoccupied to notice. Yukwon looked over his shoulder to see that one of his legs was still stuck up on the bench, foot twisted awkwardly, caught between the wooden slats.

 

“Ankle! My ankle!” Yukwon wailed. He pushed up with his hands, and his one knee that was free, trying to get enough height to release his foot. There was a squeal from below. 

 

“Get off! Jesus, get off!” Yukwon had just managed to free his foot, before one arm was knocked out from beneath him, and he collapsed to the side, rolling onto his back in the grass. Tears building in the corner of his eyes, Yukwon held his breath against the waves of throbbing pain. Finally, he drew a shaky breath, followed by another until the immediate pain eased enough for him to focus.

 

Yukwon turned his head to find himself staring into the face of Woo Jiho. Who likewise, had an expression of agony on his face, and Yukwon glanced down to see him covering his crotch. Like that would do him any good now, and he hoped that the guy was permanently maimed. Forever unable to get it up again, and it would only be a fitting punishment, Yukwon thought maliciously.

 

He blinked stupidly a couple of times, before meeting Yukwon’s gaze. 

 

“Hey.” Jiho croaked. “Well, this didn’t go quite as I expected.” 

 

Yukwon glared. “What didn’t go as you expected?” Before Jiho could even open his mouth, Yukwon continued. “Actually, I don’t even care.” 

 

His ankle still throbbed but was becoming more bearable, and he sat up gingerly. A quick look around showed him that Pangy was once again climbing over a sprawled out Zico, and Toto still hadn’t moved from her spot on the other side of the most annoying human being that Yukwon had ever met. Probably just as dazed as Yukwon currently was, because what the hell! Did that really just happen?

 

Movement from beside him drew his attention again, as Woo Jiho sat up alongside him. Obviously not permanently maimed then. Yukwon leaned back as the other man leaned towards him. 

 

“Are you crying?” he’d forgotten about the tears! 

 

“Tears of pain,” he muttered, scrubbing at his face roughly. Arrogant jerk!

“Ah crap! Your ankle right? Is it okay?” Before Yukwon could answer, the other man was moving to kneel at his feet. He didn’t need to ask which ankle, as the rapid swelling was easy to spot in the gap between Yukwon’s jeans and shoes .

 

“What are you doing?” The urge to strike out at Woo Jiho with his good foot was hard to ignore.

 

“I’m checking your ankle.” The man responded, his own tone suggesting that; wasn’t it completely obvious, and again Yukwon had to refrain from the urge to kick him. Pain pulsed up his leg, as Jiho undid his laces and slipped his running shoe and sock off.

 

“Yah! Are you a doctor?” Ignoring Jiho’s eye roll, Yukwon tried to squirm backwards out of his grip without jostling his foot too much, yelping at the pain. Woo Jiho sighed and looked at him. 

 

“You know you’re not doing yourself any favours here, right?” He shrugged. “Anyway, I have a first aid certificate.”

 

“Should I be impressed?” Yukwon scoffed, but finally allowed him to gently pick up his foot. Biting his lip against the discomfort as Jiho slowly manipulated it, Yukwon glanced over at Pangy to distract himself. His dog had managed to climb Mt Zico, and was now sitting proudly on the St Bernard’s back. Yukwon almost felt embarrassed for him. Zico seemed to be asleep, and he had to wonder at the complete change in his demeanour. One moment he’s chasing after Yukwon like a Greyhound after a dummy rabbit, the next moment he’s a docile lump. It was like flipping a switch. It was…strange behaviour.

 

“Hey. Yukwon-ssi.”

 

“Are we familiar?” 

 

Woo Jiho smirked. “You can call me Jiho.”

 

“Who says I want to.”

 

“Anyway...Yukwon-ssi.” Yukwon gritted his teeth. “I think that you just have a sprain.”

 

“How do you know that?” Yukwon demanded.

 

“Well,” Jiho drawled, “the fact that you weren’t screaming in agony as I was moving your ankle, is a pretty reliable indication.” And okay that actually made sense, but Yukwon still pursed his lips in irritation.

 

“That’s a really cute look on you by the way.” 

 

Yukwon scowled. “What?”

 

“Uh, were you going for angry? And I thought you were just being cute this whole time.” Jiho smiled smugly. Deflated, Yukwon sprawled backwards onto the grass. Woo Jiho had definitely won this round, and when had this even turned into a battle? Yukwon didn’t know, but he had this uncontrollable urge to be contrary around the other man, and to win whatever this was.

 

Toto trotted over to him and at his face. Yukwon picked her up, holding her above him. 

 

“You respect me, don’t you Toto,” he mumbled to her. Jiho cleared his throat, and Yukwon realised that he was still cradling Yukwon’s foot on his lap. This whole situation was so awkwardly uncomfortable that he couldn’t imagine how it could get any worse.

 

“So I should bring you home. Do you live near here?” Oh wait, there it was. Definitely worse. Yukwon sat up again, putting Toto next to him and dug into his pocket for his phone. 

 

Already dialling Minhyuk’s number, he answered. “Its fine. I’ll call my Hyung to come.”

 

“Yoboseyo.” Minhyuk’s voice came through, cutting off whatever Jiho had planned on saying. 

 

“Hi Hyung. Um. I had a small accident. Can you come and get me from the park near my apartment?”

 

“What happened? Are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine. I fell.” Which was not quite the whole truth, but Yukwon was not planning on telling the full story to Minhyuk. Ever. Not if he didn’t want Minhyuk to torment him for the next 6 months of his life.  

 

“I think that I’ve sprained my ankle. Can you come?” Minhyuk sighed. 

 

“Kwonnie, you know that I’ve got dance classes today. I can’t bail, the students are already here.” Yukwon stared at a hole in his jeans, just near the knee. That definitely hadn’t been there before, yet another reason to hate the man in front of him.

 

“That’s okay Hyung, I understand,” he mumbled in disappointment.

 

“Can someone else help? Have you phoned Taeil?”

 

“Taeil has work too. There’s nobody else.” Not sure if the pathetic tone of his voice was an act attempt get Minhyuk to change his mind, or actually genuine, he still felt a little guilty. It wasn’t fair on Minhyuk, and he was just about to tell his Hyung not to worry when the phone was snatched out of his hand.

 

Mouth open in surprise, he watched a little stunned as Jiho spoke.

 

“Hello. We haven’t met, but my name is Woo Jiho and I’m here with Yukwon-ssi. You can entrust him to me, and I will make sure to deliver him home safely.”

 

Yukwon couldn’t hear Minhyuk’s response, and could only watch as Jiho nodded a couple of times. “Yes,Yes-. Of course. Um, yes I have a St Bernard-. Ah, yes that was me.” Right at that moment, Yukwon wanted to cry as Minhyuk realised who Jiho was.

 

“He wants to talk to you again.” Jiho held the phone out to him, and Yukwon snatched it back.

 

“Yukwon-ah, let him take you home.” Minhyuk’s voice was firm. Yukwon turned his back on Jiho as much as he could, before whining into the phone. “Hyunnnng!”

 

“No arguments Yukwon. If Mr Tall, Cute and Annoying is willing to drag your home, then you’re going to let him!”

 

“Fine. I’m hanging up now.”

 

“Oh, and Kwonnie. If he wants to molest you when you get there, just let him. It will do you good.”

 

“Yah!” The phone beeped in his ear.

 

“Well?”

 

Reluctantly, Yukwon turned back to Jiho, and there was that smug smile again. “What?” He hissed. 

 

Jiho held his palms up in a universal calming gesture, “Just wondering if we’re ready to go, or do you want to try phoning someone else to avoid me taking you home?” 

 

“Fine. Let’s go.” 

 

Jiho stood and quickly gathered Yukwon’s things, while Yukwon called Pangy and Toto to him, and attached their leads. He looked at his shoe and sock still sitting on the grass next to his foot. It was going to be awkward and probably painful to try and put it back on, but there was no way he was going to put his bare foot on a Seoul pavement.

 

“You’re not putting your shoe back on.” The tone left no room for debate. He was not going to take orders from this arrogant guy, and maybe Yukwon was generally considered a little timid in personality, but this time he was going to put his foot down!

 

“I’m not walking without my shoe.”

 

“You won’t be walking at all, I’ll be piggybacking you.” 

 

“Ah…no, that’s okay. I’ll just lean on you.” Yukwon said as he scooted closer to his shoe, holding his leg off the ground. In his mind he was already trying to work out the logistics of actually getting the shoe onto his foot. The decision was taken out of his hands though when Jiho scooped up the shoe and sock, and shoved them into his satchel. Yukwon’s jaw dropped in disbelief. Had he really just stolen his shoe? What, was he like five years old?

 

It took a couple of aborted attempts, and some tricky manoeuvring, but finally Yukwon was up on Jiho’s back. The first thought that entered his mind was how ridiculous they must look. A grown man wearing only one shoe, being carried by another, with two toy dogs trailing behind on one side, and an oversized beast on the other. 

 

The second was how firmly Jiho’s hands were gripping his thighs. It would have been respectful for Jiho to hook is arms under Yukwon’s legs and clasp his hands in front of him. At least that’s how they always did it in the dramas. But Jiho’s hands were cupping his thighs and Yukwon could feel the heat of them through the denim of his jeans. He thought about protesting, at this point though all he wanted was to do was get home, and thereby get rid of Woo Jiho.

 

“Should I hold Zico’s lead?”

 

“Nah. He’s good, he’ll just follow.”

 

“Really? Because my last couple of experiences beg to differ.” Jiho huffed a laugh, and Yukwon could feel the vibrations through his chest where it pressed against Jiho’s back.

 

“Yeah, I don’t know why he does that with you. You must be special.” 

 

Yukwon’s eyes narrowed. “Or just really unlucky.” He felt Jiho’s shrug.

 

“So which way?”

 

Normally it took Yukwon five minutes to walk between the park and his home, this time it took closer to twenty. When they finally got into Yukwon’s apartment, Jiho dumped him unceremoniously onto his couch.

 

“Jesus! You’re heavier than you look!” Jiho was bent over, hands on his knees, breathing heavily. “I think you broke me.” The comment didn’t warrant a response, and he ignored Jiho as he leaned over the couch to take the leads off Toto and Pangy. Toto disappeared directly into his bedroom, as Pangy trotted over to Zico, who was once again sprawled out on the floor. It seemed to be turning into an obsession.

 

Yukwon glanced up at the sound of Jiho clearing his throat. And why was he still here, Yukwon didn’t know, but he was planning on rectifying that situation quickly.

 

“Do you have a cold pack?”

 

Yukwon frowned. “Yes but-”

 

“In the freezer?” Jiho didn’t wait for Yukwon’s reply, instead moving to the small kitchen and rifling through Yukwon’s freezer like he owned it. Not just the freezer, but the whole apartment. 

 

“Woo Jiho-ssi?” Yukwon called, twisting on the couch in an attempt to see into the kitchen. “Um, thanks for your help, but I can take care of myself now.” The noises from the kitchen continued. Not sure if the other man had heard him...or was even listening, Yukwon raised his voice further, an edge of irritation seeping through. “I’m fine. Really. I don’t want to use anymore of your time-”

 

“It’s okay. I’m free.” Jiho said as he returned with the cold pack wrapped in a kitchen towel and crouched at the end of the couch. Patience starting to wear thin, Yukwon tried again to coax the annoying man to leave. “Look, Woo Jiho-ssi. It was really nice of you-,” and wasn’t that a lie! “-I really appreciate-”

 

“Jiho.”

 

“What?”

 

“Just Jiho is fine. You don’t need to be so formal.”

 

“Yes, I do, because we don’t even know-” Yukwon gasped, biting off his sentence. Without warning, Jiho had just slapped the cold pack onto his ankle. He looked at Yukwon, eyebrow raised in question.

 

“It’s cold!” Yukwon hissed through gritted teeth. Jiho shrugged.

 

“Well, yeah. That is the point.” Jiho stood. “Do you mind if I give Zico some water?”

 

After a second of silence, Yukwon slumped back against the arm of the couch. “Go ahead,” he said in resignation. His ankle ached, and Yukwon just wanted to close his eyes and not deal for just a moment.

 

___

 

 

“Yukwonnie. Yukwonnie-ya, wake up.” Yukwon pushed his face further into the back of the couch. “Go away,” he mumbled.

 

“We brought fried chicken,” the sweet voice whispered. Yukwon turned his head, blinking blearily. Minhyuk was crouched down next to him, grinning. “Chicken?” Now that he was awake, Yukwon could smell the delicious scent of fried chicken filling the small apartment. It helped clear the remaining sleep fog from his brain. 

 

“Haha! I knew that would get him up!” Taeil called from the kitchen. Both his hyungs were here?

 

“Hyungs? What are you doing here? Did I fall asleep?” 

 

“We came to check on you, and bring you dinner. Figured that you wouldn’t be up to organising yourself.”

 

“Yay! I’m starving!” He said as he pushed himself onto his elbows and subtlety glanced around the apartment.

 

“Looking for someone?” Minhyuk asked with a small smile, as he stood and started clearing the coffee table of Yukwon’s manga books.

 

“No. Well, yes. Where’s Woo Jiho-ssi?” Yukwon reluctantly asked, curiosity winning out over feigned apathy.  

 

“You mean Mr Tall, Extremely Cute, and Arrogant?” Minhyuk asked with a wink. Yukwon ignored him.

 

“Jiho-ssi left when we got here.” Taeil answered, as he placed glasses and a bottle of soda onto the table, before starting to unpack the bag of chicken. “We invited him to stay for dinner, but he said that he was late for work.”

 

“You asked him to stay for dinner? Why would you even do that?” Yukwon whined. Then a thought occurred to him. “Wait, when did you get here?”

 

Taeil looked at Minhyuk, who shrugged. “Maybe about ten minutes ago,” he said as he sat on the floor, while Minhyuk started to load their plates with chicken. Yukwon dug his phone out of his pants pocket. It was nearly eight in the evening. They’d gotten back from the park around four. Had Jiho really been hanging around his apartment for four hours? While Yukwon had been sleeping?  

 

“How’s your ankle?” Minhyuk asked, waiting for Yukwon to sit up properly before handing him a plate. Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt as much as he’d expected, and he glanced down at it. There was a crepe bandage wrapped around it, snug but not too tight, and it was propped up on one of his couch cushions. When had that happened? He was pretty sure he didn’t even own a bandage.

 

“It’s okay,” he paused for a moment. “Did one of you wrap it for me, when you got here?”

 

Taeil looked at him funny. “No. Jiho wrapped it...you don’t remember?”

 

Yukwon shook his head slowly. “He must have done it while I was sleeping.”

 

Minhyuk waggled his eyebrows. “Wonder what else he did while you were sleeping.”

 

Yukwon frowned.

 

“Well, I like him,” Taeil said. “I honestly don’t understand why you have a problem with him Yukwonnie.”

 

“I nearly broke my ankle because of him, and his mutt!” Yukwon exclaimed through a mouthful of chicken.

 

“Didn’t he catch you?” Taeil asked.

 

“Yeah,-wait, how do you even know that?” Taeil smiled at him enigmatically. Someone had been talking, and Yukwon wondered what else had been said. He felt that he had to further defend his position. “His dog humped me in public!”

 

“He carried you all the way to your apartment.” Taeil shot back.

 

“He’s arrogant, and he didn’t apologise!”

 

Taeil nodded towards Yukwon’s ankle, “He took good care of you. And stayed until we arrived!”

 

“Ah Hyung, just stop.” Yukwon mumbled. 

 

“You’ve always said that your ideal guy is someone who can take care of you, Yukwonnie.” Minhyuk chimed in. Now they were ganging up on him. 

 

“Tall. Handsome. Caring. Loves dogs. What’s not to like?”

 

Taeil watched him as though expecting a response, as though Yukwon would suddenly see the light and agree that yes, Woo Jiho was awesome!  Fat chance, Yukwon thought as he shoved a whole chicken wing into his mouth, and glared back silently. Taeil turned to Minhyuk, who shrugged. 

 

“And he actually wants to molest our Yukwonnie. Guys like this don’t come around every day. I like him too.”

 

“Other guys want to molest me too!” Yukwon choked out around the wing, before spitting it onto his plate, and running the sentence back through his mind. “I mean date me. Other guys want to date me.”

 

“Yeah, they're just lining up at your door.” Minhyuk said, face pinched in disgust at the sight of Yukwon's half masticated chicken wing. “Just go out with him one time. You might like him too.”

 

Yukwon crossed his arms. “Hyung. Have you ever met someone, who irritates you just by the fact that they exist? That’s how I feel about Woo Jiho.” Even as he said it though, he couldn’t help but glance at the bandage wrapped so neatly around his ankle, a tiny little seed of doubt growing in his mind.

 

“But don’t you think that it’s romantic? You meet this handsome stranger accidentally in the park, and he immediately falls for you.” Taeil sighed wistfully. “I wouldn’t mind if something like that happened to me. Especially if it was someone as nice, and as good-looking as Jiho.” 

 

Minhyuk put his hand on Taeil’s shoulder in comfort, and Yukwon felt a little guilty. While Yukwon didn’t care that much about dating because he had his babies, and his ordinary life, Taeil was older, and did care. He knew that his hyung hadn’t had a relationship yet, and he was pining for a romantic love. 

 

“You’ll meet someone soon, Hyung.”

 

Taeil sighed. “Seriously Yukwon-ah, why don’t you just give him a chance. For me.”

 

 

After dinner, Taeil and Minhyuk cleaned up, and helped to feed Yukwon’s dogs, before Yukwon had limped to the door with them to see them out. It wasn’t until five minutes after he’d closed the door behind them and collapsed back onto the couch, that Yukwon realised he’d only seen his single shoe in the entranceway from earlier that day. Had Woo Jiho stolen his shoe?

 

 ___

 

The knock on his door startled Yukwon. The only people that ever knocked on his door were his Hyungs, and food deliveries, and he wasn’t expecting either. Putting down his One Piece comic, and gently shifting Toto from his lap, Yukwon climbed out of the couch and limped to the front door, pulling it open. 

 

“Hi Yukwon-ssi.” 

 

“Uhm. Hi?” 

 

“I came to return your shoe, I forgot that I had it the other day.”

 

“Ah, thanks.” Jiho made no move to hand over his shoe, instead he calmly stood in the hallway, a bright smile on his face. Yukwon shuffled in his doorway, the silence making him nervous. Did he expect to be invited in?

 

“How’s your ankle?”

 

“Much better.” Again Jiho didn’t move, and again Yukwon wondered what he was waiting for.

 

“Are you free? I brought fried chicken, you know as an apology for the other day. Your Hyungs said it was your favourite.” Jiho’s expression looked hopeful, and it was almost puppy like. After a brief internal debate, where Yukwon weighed the free fried chicken against having to spend time with Woo Jiho, he stepped aside reluctantly. Damn his weakness for fried chicken!

 

Jiho brushed past him and slipped off his shoes. He walked over to Yukwon’s coffee table, and put the food bags down. Yukwon limped after him, standing off to the side not quite sure what to do with himself. Bowls. He could do that. Taking his time, Yukwon got the bowls down from the cupboard, and glasses as well. No doubt they’d need chopsticks (because Yukwon only used the wooden disposable ones when he absolutely had to), so he grabbed those out of the drawer as well. What else? Napkins. Did he even have napkins? He could just go get a roll of toilet paper, he supposed. And how much longer was he going to put off rejoining Jiho? Yukwon sighed and turned, only to flinch and nearly drop everything, at finding Jiho standing a couple of paces behind him.

 

“If I wasn’t a confident person, I might think that you’re avoiding my company.” The smirk was back, and Yukwon’s hackles rose slightly.

 

“Maybe you should listen to what your instincts are telling you,” Yukwon retorted. Jiho laughed, his eyes bright. 

 

“I am,” and he gave Yukwon a soft nudge in the direction of the living room. “You should rest your ankle, I can get those.” 

 

It would probably be pointless to argue the fact that his ankle was practically healed. That his limp came from the residual stiffness of not having used the joint properly for a week. Instead Yukwon did as he was bid, while Jiho trailed after him with bowls, glasses and cutlery. He sat, watching as Jiho arranged the table to his liking, setting out a bowl and chopsticks for Yukwon.

 

“So, ah-,” Yukwon stopped, and Jiho glanced up. He cleared his throat, eyes fixed on Jiho’s hands as they finished unpacking the boxes of food. And where was Yukwon even going with that sentence. It was just a desperate attempt to fill the awkward silence with something.

 

“You really didn’t need to do this.”

 

Jiho smiled, “Well I couldn’t get you to come on a date with me, so I decided to bring the date to you.”

 

“Ah.” Was this a date? Had he just been cunningly tricked into a date that he hadn’t agreed to? Sneaky bastard. Should he clarify that this was not a date? Was he even still so opposed to having a date with him? Jiho’s behaviour was confusing him, and Yukwon didn’t know anymore.

 

“Also, your Hyungs suggested I should try to win you over by showing you my caring side.” Jiho laughed. “That, and chicken. They said that the way to your heart is through fried chicken and beer.” 

 

Yukwon was going to kill Minhyuk and Taeil.

 

By the time Jiho had emptied the bag, there was easily enough food for four people spread out on the table. Original, spicy, and strip chicken, as well as kimchi, and pickled radish. A few cans of beer, and a couple bottles of soju also sat off to the side. Was Jiho planning on getting him drunk? Well, it didn’t matter what he’d planned, Yukwon would hold onto his control tightly in his fist.

 

 

 

Yukwon slumped against the arm of the couch. He felt soft and sleepy, and contentedly full. 

 

“Yukwon.”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“Yukwon-ah. Yukwonnie. Kwon. Kwon-ah.” Jiho mumbled from his place on the floor, back resting up against the couch. His head lolled against the cushion, and he looked up at Yukwon from almost upside down. Yukwon giggled. 

 

“I like Yukwonnie. Yukwonnie-ya. Can I call you Yukwonnie-ya? Yukwonnie-ya.” Yukwon giggled again, and Jiho laughed too. Jiho was funny. How had he not noticed that? 

 

Yukwon was drunk, and all the things that he’d thought he’d hated about Jiho had been forgotten in the haze of beer and soju. Jiho was drunk too. 

 

“Yukwonnie-ya, will you go on a date with me?” Suddenly, Yukwon started laughing, and he kept laughing until there were tears in his eyes. Everything was so funny right now. Jiho waited him out, pouting the whole time, and once Yukwon had quietened down to soft giggles, he spoke again.

 

“I didn’t tell a joke you know. Why are you laughing?”

 

Yukwon hiccupped. “I can’t date you.”

 

Jiho shifted so that he was facing Yukwon, kneeling in front of him on the floor. 

 

“But why not?” Yukwon tilted his head in thought, trying to remember the reasons that he’d had for not wanting to date the other man. He snapped his fingers.

 

“You’re too arrogant!”

 

“What? I’m not arrogant.” 

 

“Yes, you are! You’re like one fo those cold, arrogant men from the dramas. You didn’t even apologise when Zico-,” and how best to word it without feeling completely humiliated, because yeah he was drunk, but not that drunk, “-you know.”

 

Jiho grinned, an evil glint in his eye. “You know? You mean when he wanted to get down and dirty with you? Do the horizontal tango? Invite you in for late night ramyun?”

 

“Yah! See, you’re embarrassing me on purpose. Just for your own amusement!”

 

“But you’re so cute, I can’t help it. Anyway that doesn’t make me arrogant.” Jiho thought for a moment. “I’m not arrogant, I’m just very confident.” It was stated so matter of factly that Yukwon was inclined to believe it. “Sometimes people find that intimidating.”

 

Yukwon was quiet, avoiding Jiho’s eyes. Not wanting to admit that he was right, but knowing full well that it was an astute observation, probably spoken from experience. One that applied to him, as much as it might apply to other people in Jiho’s life. Because Yukwon had always been a little bit self conscious, a little bit quieter, a little bit more timid, his mother put it down to his blood type. His brother put it down to not having a father around. Whatever the reason, Yukwon was aware enough to know that he’d found Jiho intimidating from the first moment they’ed met.

 

Jiho reached for Yukwon’s hands, and his gaze was earnest.

 

“When Zico troubled you that first time in the park, it was just an accident, but when he found you the second time, it was like fate. Like something out of a drama. I knew that I had to pursue you this time, and not give up. I’m sorry that I didn’t apologise to you immediately then, but I wasn’t thinking. I was too busy falling for you. Kim Yukwon will you date me?” 

 

And Yukwon was such a er for a romantic drama moment, no matter how cheesy.

 

___

 

 

The cafe was bustling. A quick look around, and then Jiho was steering Yukwon towards a table in the back where a young man with a huge gummy smile was waving enthusiastically. Yukwon wiped his clammy hands on his pants and then clutched the hem of his sweater. 

 

It had only been three weeks since they’d started dating, and now he was meeting Jiho’s friends. It was nerve wracking, and Yukwon was out of his comfort zone. Pushed there by Jiho, who had nagged him like a dog with a bone until he’d reluctantly agreed. Personally, Yukwon thought it was way too early in their relationship to be meeting Jiho’s circle of friends, though he supposed Jiho had met Minhyuk and Taeil. That had been accidental though, not an intentional introduction.

 

“Yukwonnie, this is Pyo Jihoon our maknae, and Ahn Jaehyo, our Hyung. We don’t call him hyung though, so don’t feel obligated.” 

 

“Yah! At least give me the illusion of respect!” Jaehyo said, as he reached across the table to shake Yukwon’s hand. Yukwon bowed. Just because these friends felt comfortable enough to disrespect their hyung, doesn’t mean that Yukwon was going to. Especially on the first meeting.

The overly enthusiastic waver turned out to be Jihoon, and he was just as enthusiastic as he shook Yukwon’s hand, bowing. 

 

“Wow! It’s great to meet you Yukwon Hyung! We didn’t believe him, but you’re just as pretty as Hyung said.” A flush crept up his neck as Yukwon smiled awkwardly.

 

“And this is my oldest friend Park Kyung. Kyung wouldn’t stop asking to meet you. So Kyung may I present you my boyfriend Kim Yukwon.” Even though Yukwon couldn’t see Jiho’s expression, the smug tone in his voice was unmissable. He subtly jammed his elbow back into Jiho’s midsection. “Baby?” Jiho whined in his ear.

 

Yukwon ignored him. “It’s nice to meet Jiho’s childhood friend, Park Kyung-ssi.”

 

“You too Yukwon-ssi, though I don’t know if I should be offering congratulations, or commiserations.” The three of them laughed, and Yukwon laughed with them, the tension already beginning to ease from his shoulders. 

 

“Yah! Kyungcumber, don’t make me regret our friendship.” Jiho said as he pulled out a chair and gestured for Yukwon to sit. “What would you like Baby?”

 

Amidst the disgusted groans of the others, Yukwon asked for a macchiato and Jiho disappeared to the counter to place their orders. As he watched Jiho walk away, Yukwon wondered again how he’d been so mistaken about him? Jiho was confident, and charismatic. But he had also proven himself to be was just as goofy, and fun-loving. Above all he doted on Yukwon. Over the past few weeks Yukwon had fallen hard.

 

“So…” At the sound of Kyung’s voice, Yukwon turned back to the table, to find that they were all staring at him. “...really, how did Jiho manage to get you to date him?” 

 

“Hyung!” Jihoon whispered, mortified. “Don’t mind him, he’s just sulking.”

 

“Yeah, he’s just being a baby because now he’s proven wrong.” Jaehyo agreed.

 

“Proven wrong?” Yukwon asked.

 

“I am not sulking! I just know that there must be a catch.” Kyung said, turning to Yukwon. “Is he  bribing you? Blackmailing you?” Before Yukwon even had time to contemplate an answer to that question, Kyung continued.

 

“I’m just saying. It’s Jiho.”

 

“Yeah, says the guy who hasn’t had a date in over a year.”

 

“Yah! I just have very high standards. Not every girl deserves a piece of this.” Kyung said as he indicated himself with his hand. Jaehyo groaned, while Jihoon pointed at Kyung and said, “No girl deserves a piece of that Hyung”.

 

Kyung’s eyes narrowed. “Watch yourself Maknae!”

 

Yukwon smiled. They were funny, Jiho’s friends. Still, it didn’t stop Yukwon from silently willing Jiho to hurry up and return so that he was no longer the sole focus of the group.

 

“So Yukwon-ssi, Jiho wouldn’t tell us how you two met. In fact it’s almost like he’s hiding it from us.” Jaehyo said and leaned forward on the table in curiosity.

 

“I bet it was something really romantic, and Hyung’s just too embarrassed to tell us.”

 

“Not really, we just met at a park.” If Jiho hadn’t divulged the embarrassing circumstance of their first meeting than Yukwon certainly wasn’t going to elaborate, more than happy to keep his dignity intact in front of Jiho’s friends.

 

Kyung sniggered. “In the park? It wasn’t when his Hyung’s crazy dog knocked you down or something was it? You know Jiho actually trained that mutt to do that in order to pick up, haha.” Kyung sniggered. 

 

Yukwon blinked, his expression blank. “Um. What?” 

 

“Kyung stop it! You’re making Jiho sound like some kind of player.” Jaehyo looked at Yukwon. “He’s really not, he’s just a bit of a romantic at heart, and he thought it would be a cute way to meet someone in that situation, if there was ever the opportunity.”

 

“It’s much nicer than meeting in a club or something. So how did you guys meet at the park? Who asked who out? Probably Hyung asked you right?” Jihoon was talking, but Yukwon was barely listening. Suddenly Zico’s strange behaviour made sense, and did Jiho actually train him to hump on his victims? Was Yukwon now dating some kind of closeted ert? Oh god!

 

“Yukwon Hyung?” Jihoon waved a hand in front of his face, and Yukwon looked up startled.

 

“Sorry, what?”

 

“I asked how did you meet Jiho Hyung at the park?” 

 

Yukwon lowered his gaze on the table, as he used his fingernail to pick at a groove in the well-worn wood. “We met at the park…” he started, then cleared his throat. “...when I was chased down by Zico,” he finished blandly.

 

The table was silent for a moment, then Kyung started cackling. Yukwon took a deep breath, before slowly releasing it.

 

“I’m going to kill him.” Just as he said the words a cup was placed on the table in front of him. Yukwon looked up sharply, scowling, and Jiho’s happy expression faltered.

 

“Baby?”

 

 

End.