The First Dance

Last Dance

 I stick to the script.

Chinen called for a cut and I saw Umika sighed in relief. The rest clapped their hands before a long pause. It's obvious how much they were holding on their seats as they listen to my speech. And the relief was just so evident right now.

I got out of the stage and sat slump next to Shuhei. I let out a long breath when I pretended to read the script again.

"You got your heart on your throat right there." Shuhei commented not looking at me.

Yuto appeared behind, "I can't believe you're still in love with her."

"What?! No!" I need to defend myself in this very inappropriate situation. "I just forgot my lines and random--" I unconsciously gulped. "Random words sprouted out of my mouth. Adrenaline, you know? That was pure adlib!"

Kamiki sat next to me. "As long as we have fixed it already."

"Oh good Lord, Yamada-kun!" Umika sighed. "You can't mess up with her head right now. She's already married. You should have made a move years ago." She said trying to keep her voice as low as possible.

"Hey, I said that was adlib!" I was very defensive, obviously.

My friends sigh. 

Chinen called out and Yuto tapped me in the shoulder, "You'll be fine Yama."

I hate how they simply know what's happening.

I unconsciously looked at Mirai, hoping she doesn't thought the same.

She was casually laughing with the other girls. That brought me a little relief. 

"On your places now everyone." Chinen clapped his hand together getting our attention.

"Wait, is this going to be my place until the end of this filming?" Hayato shouted from the ceiling. "How many more petals do you need?!

Kamiki laughed. "We got you buddy! Sorry, we'll get you outta there!" 

With the help of Shuhei and Shougo, Kamiki got Hayato down. He stretched his arms and neck as he said, "Yuto, make sure I get a screentime."

"Roger that!" Yuto saluted.

"Hey, what about me?!" Jingi complained behind the mannequin next to Mirai. "I need some fcking replacement here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has got some tough biceps!?" 

Suzuka eyed Shuhei. "You've got the biceps."

"Shuhei's going to have a line in this scene." Chinen argued. "Get Ryosuke in."

"Are you serious?" I turned to look at Chinen.

"That mannequin is not as heavy as that barbel you weigh on the gym." He raised a brow. "And even if I want to, since I got pretty good biceps, I can't coz I'm the director." Nodding like an old man, he totally convinced me to do the job. Oh god, talking about Chinen's hypnotism!

And so I crouched there behind the beautifully-dressed mannequin in white tuxedo 9 centimeters taller than me. 

While filming the scene--which was the dinner scene--I yawned hearing the laughter when Shuhei messed up his lines.

"Are you okay?" Suddenly Mirai whispered, looking down at me behind her mannequin-groom.

I grasp for a moment as I look at her. "Yeah. Just sleepy."

She nodded.

"I just don't understand why don't we just tie this freaking statue in this chair." I complained.

"We don't have a rope." She answered. "And that'll look like I kidnapped him and forced him to marry me!"

I chuckled silently and she joined the laugh.

"Sorry." She suddenly said. "I should have made sure all of you are able to attend my wedding. That was really insensitive of me." She immediately faced in front and smiled the moment the camera caught her. But she continued talking. "Umika was crying when she found out the wedding was on the same day she'll have an out-of-town shooting for Zip."

I sighed. "She'll cry more if she's there."

I heard her let out a small giggle. "Would you too?"

I got silent for a moment.

She laughed turning on me. "Miki said he might." There was a sudden change in her expression when he looked at me. I don't know if it's the intensity in my eyes as I stared at her or the awkwardness was because she remembered what I just said on that fcking speech NG.

I got myself back up, joking around trying to ease the tension. "Yeah, I'd probably join Kamiki bawl on your wedding like some kind of a freaking parent."

She finally laughed genuinely and looked back at me. "Parent? Eversince we're kids, I've been the parent of you.

I shook my head. "Uh-uh, you really wouldn't want to get away with that." 

 

Chinen wrap the scene. I immediately stood from crouching completely forgetting about the mannequin.

Like everything went in slow motion, I saw them freaked out as I let go of it. It moved sideways, about to fall.

"NOOOOOOO!!!" Kamiki panicked remembering he just borrowed that mannequin from his stylist.

And it fell on the floor. Scattered fiberglass shattered on the floor.

"Oh no!"

Everybody's mouth was hanged open. 

I shrugged, "I'm sorry, I thought I'm gonna strain my hip."

"What are we gonna do now?" Umika was devastated. "We're still going to film the Groom and Bride's first dance!"

"We'll have no choice but to replace it." Chinen opined.

Mourning over the mannequin, Kamiki asked, "With what? We can't get a new one immediately and my stylist would not let me borrow another good-looking fiberglass mannequin after this!" 

"Not 'what', 'who'." Chinen eyed at me.

It took a long while before I understood what he meant. "Why me?!"

"Yuto is too tall and he's the cameraman, Shuhei and Hayato and too tall as well." Chinen turned to Shougo, "Shougo's too thin, Ryun as well. and I am too short."

"I am as well." I reasoned out.

"Just by 9 centimenters! And perhaps, you're the one who broke that darn mannequin." And with that I lose with Chinen Yuri...again.

 

And so I stand there beautifully-dressed in white tuxedo. 

"Oh look at that!" Saaya clapped her hand excitedly, pulling Mirai on the center aisle next to me. "This is better and way more realistic!

"The hell did you not thought of this before?" Jingi complained. "I've done so much labor!"

"This is definitely better than having that pale mannequin on the camera, that needs a lot of photoshop!" Yuto smiled and sighed.

And I'd be mobbed to death by her fans or killed by the real husband, you psychos!

"Don't worry, I'll make sure your face won't be visible in the final video." Yuto winked. 

"Now, let's shoot that first dance!" Chinen exclaimed excitedly.

 

As a beautiful song played, I took Mirai's hand and gently lead her to the center aisle. I lead her right hand on my left shoulder and I placed my left on her waist, we started dancing on a basic waltz. Something we learned from high school physical educatio. Oh bad memories but still good old ones.

Until I felt weight and pain on my toes. I growled, "Aww!" Speaking of bad memories.

I heard Chinen cut the scene.

Mirai covered , "Sorry!"

"Really? Up until now?! This isn't PE dance class anymore!" Kamiki commented.

I raised a brow at Mirai. She gave me an apologetic grin. For a moment, I remembered that look when we were high school, when she's on that twin tails and that blue PE uniform. It was like the old days

Chinen called to take that scene again and I pulled her closer with the little director's command

To hide my face, Yuto was taking the angle behind. Instructing Mirai to act more happily--in love. 

With a forceful smile, she looked at me. "Having the mannequin is easier than this."

I smiled. "I know, they don't know how uncomfortable this is."

"Cut!" Chinen already had that rolled paper like a mega microphone. "You may now change, Ryosuke." He instructed.

"Thanks" I sighed and Nozomi and Rima pulled Mirai on the side to fix her hair and her make up.

 

I'm finally back on my black plain tuxedo.

"Now let's shoot the fun part!" Umika exclaimed. She was talking about that part of the wedding reception when everybody gets up and dance!

This is probably the most natural and genuine part of this whole craziness. No scripts, no placements.

Yuto left his station and let the cameras capture everything by themselves. There are atleast 8 cameras around and all it will take is a good editing skills and boom! A masterpiece. Just leave it to the master encharged, Nakajima Yuto who just picked Suzuka from his seat to dance on that pretty upbeat pop song by Emii Maria and Nerdhead. Blame the DJ--Shuhei Nomura who presented himself with the task.

At first Suzuka was hesitant but Yuto seemed to be such a fun, she went with it and did a little dance while cheering for the guy. Everybody was on their feet, not caring about the long gowns they were wearing nor the tight tuxedos on. Chinen removes his suit and playfully whip it above his head.

Everybody was laughing under the disco lights. Mirai was throwing her hands up, dancing with Umika who was waving the bouquet she got in the 'Bouquet-tossing scene'.

I did a little dance when Hayato pulled me to the center and he did his best robot dance. Yuto slid like a rock star on the center and strum his imaginary guitar and they did a little dance battle. 

Jingi and Shougo played safe in the company of Nozomi, Ciellu, Saaya and Nako who were just doing some basic hand-rolling and hip-shaking.

Rima pulled Suzuka to prepare the drinks. Seems like we'll end up having a little party.

They had it hyped up when dj Shuhei played Lay it Down by Lloyd which Jump dance covered before.

Yuto immediately made his way on the center while Jingi had to tap me on the shoulder and pushed me and Chinen to dance with it in our freaking tuxedo.

Everybody was cheering as we danced with the song. And me grinning the whole time trying to remember the dang steps. 

The moment we're done with the dancing, another song played---much slower and solemn.

Some already took their seats and drink including Mirai. 

Saaya grabbed Umika for a dance meanwhile Yuto finally just settled with his drink.

Nozomi and Shougo stayed on the dance floor as well as Kamiki and Hayato who decided to be dance partners after Ciellu and Nako refused them. 

The girls decided to pair up with girls and so Shuhei just pulled Yuto for a dance who also thought it was going to be fun.

Chinen went to Mirai and asked her for a dance which she happily took.

Suzuka went to me. "Come on." Grabbing me back on the dance floor.

As we danced silently, suddenly Yuto came over and I did not have to ask why as I went out of the way. Immediately, Shuhei grabbed my shoulders which was brief since Saaya took his hand and Umika grabbed me in the arm.

Shortly, Umika and I were waltzing next to Chinen and Mirai when Chinen stopped, handed Mirai to me and taking Umika.

"Did you step on him?" I asked and she smiled. "I bet you did, he gave up on you. Aww!" I growled. "Did you just purposely do it?" I outrangely asked.

"Do you remember in high school. PE. Dance class?" She asked.

"Who wouldn't?" I rolled my eyes. "I had toe injury everytime. I had engrown for gawdsake!"

She smiled. "For three years you never complained to the teacher asking for another partner." 

"I never thought of that." I frowned playfully. "Why didn't I thought of that?" 

She giggled. "Of course you did. But you didn't, instead you worked hard on helping me. Overtiming on practice."

"But afterall the practice you've been messing up a lot. Still." I added.

"Still you never gave up. My point is, you have been growing up ever since. Slowly, you're becoming more than that kid I knew." She looked at me, this time in the eyes. "I wasn't taking care of you, you have learned to take care of yourself."

I tried grasp what she's trying to tell me.

"Yama-chan, you're alright." She smiled. She definitely took that speech seriously. Which totally is. "So enough with the drama." She lightly tap her hands on my shoulders.

When suddenly, I pulled her closer. I briefly stare at her eyes and slowly hugged her. I felt her froze for a moment but I kept my left cheek on her right temple.

"I am not alright...And even if you tell I should be, I dont't know how. Coz this is not just a drama, Mirai. This is what I feel."

 

To be continued