Chapter One

Flatline

Chapter One

 

"Hey," Hoseok greeted the doctor as soon as he came out to the ambulance. He rushed around the back and opened the back and pulled out the trolly.

 

"What do we have?" Yoongi asked, already assessing the young man.

 

"Male, unconscious when found, 22 years old. Was found in a street by a passer-by. Only injuries that I could find were a bump on his head, and his breathing doesn't sound right," he winced as he and his partner made their way into the hospital's A&E department.

 

"Any clue as to who he is?" he asked.

 

Hoseok shook his head, "We found an ID, but..." he trailed off looking unsure.

 

Yoongi gave the younger man a glare, "What Hoseok?"

 

"His name is Jeon Jungkook," he answered as a nurse came forwards and Yoongi began to work with her.

 

"Jeon?" he asked, surprised by the name.

 

Hoseok nodded, "Yeah, I'm wondering if he maybe Junghyun's little brother, I know he has one."

 

Yoongi hummed, "It might be an idea to go and talk with him. Though make sure he knows that he doesn't come back here. Take the ID, if it is, then take him to one of the side rooms and get Namjoon down here. He might be able to keep him calm."

 

"Yeah," Hoseok snorted, "He has a protective streak a mile wide from what I've heard of what he does for his brother. He's always called him Kookie, which is why I’m unsure, though it could be a nickname."

 

"Right," he said concentrating more on his patient than to what Hoseok was telling him.

 

"Hey, Jisoo," Hoseok said as he looked at his fellow paramedic, "Take the trolley back, I need

to go and talk to Junghyun," he finished, a grin on his face.

 

Jisoo gave him a glare, "Yeah, just about his brother and not to try and pick him up," she said, flicking her hair behind her as she turned and began to push the trolley out of the way.

 

"Hey! This could be his brother, I’m just being a friend," Hoseok called after her, only to be ignored. He stood there for a minute, catching the eye of Yoongi.

 

"Go and talk to him," he said turning to the nurse, "Lisa, I want an x-ray done on his chest," he said, putting the stethoscope around his neck once more.

 

Hoseok watched for a second and then left. He thought about how the kid looked, he did remind the paramedic of Junghyun. He walked through to reception, taking over the paperwork that he had written on his patient, "Hey," he grinned as he saw the man sitting at the desk, typing away on the computer.

 

Junghyun looked up, "Hoseok-ssi," he greeted, a pleasant smile on his face.

 

"Please, I've told you to call me hyung," he grinned down, "I have a young man brought in. Unconscious," he said still holding the paperwork.

 

"Well hand it over so I can get him into the system," the young receptionist said, hand held out for it.

 

"Well," he began, looking around and spotting Namjoon walking towards the back offices, "Joonie!" he called out.

 

"Am I needed?" Namjoon stopped and turned, running a hand through dyed grey hair he walked over.

 

"Maybe," Hoseok said, a small smile on his face as he turned back to Junghyun, "Right, the young man was found unconscious in the street. He hasn’t woken up yet. I checked for ID and found a name. Jeon Jungkook," he said softly, keeping his voice low.

 

Junghyun blinked, face paling and eyes going wide, "Jung... Jungkook?" he asked.

 

"Jeon Jungkook, 22 years old," Hoseok said, putting the paperwork down and pulling out the ID he had taken with him. On it was a picture of a young man, with a cute bunny smile on his face.

 

With shaking hands Junghyun took the ID card and looked at the picture. "Kookie!" he yelled out, dropping it and getting up, attempting to rush towards the trauma rooms.

 

Hoseok dashed around the reception desk grabbing the young man and leading him quickly to one of the more private waiting rooms. Namjoon quickly following, understanding why he has been called over. Hoseok let him go when the other struggled out of his grip.

 

"Let me go to him," Junghyun said, voice cold, eyes narrowed as he glared at Hoseok and Namjoon, both of them were blocking the way out of the room.

 

"No," Hoseok answered bluntly, "You need to wait here. Yoongi-hyung is looking after him, and you know he is the best consultant doctor that we have here, apart from Jin-hyung" he told him, hoping it would reassure him.

 

"I don't care, I need to be with him, to make sure that he's all right," he said, not really listening to Hoseok. He needed to see his baby brother, to really make sure that the other was all right.

 

Namjoon moved forwards, "You've worked here for a while now, you know how things are. Yoongi is taking care of him and as soon as he can he will send for you."

 

"I..." he trailed off, "Look, I just need to see him, I won't get in the way, just let me see him."

 

Namjoon went over to him, grabbing the younger man by the shoulders, "You can't yet. Going in now can distract those caring for him. You know this, we tell this to every relative of our patients, day in and day out. Now sit down,” he coaxed gently, “let Hoseok get you some tea and wait here. I'll go and see if I can find anything out."

 

"He was being taken up for an x-ray when I left. So he might be there at the moment. Talk to Yoongi though," Hoseok said.

 

"How? What happened?" he asked, wanting to know.

 

Hoseok paused for a moment, "A passerby found him in the street," he said, thinking a moment before adding the street name.

 

"It's close to where he lives," Junghyun said, "What the hell was he doing out there?” he was almost yelling at the end, standing up from where he had been sat, wanting to pace the room.

 

Namjoon nodded, "I'll wait here while you get some tea from the break room," he told the paramedic. Namjoon went over to Junghyun and began to coax him into sitting down again.

 

Hoseok nodded and walked out of the room. Jogging towards the break room. He went inside, he saw Jimin sitting down, head resting on his husband's shoulder as they took their break.

 

"Hey Hobi-hyung," Taehyung grinned at the elder.

 

"Hey," he said making tea, remembering how Junghyun liked it. He knew the other liked coffee occasionally as well, but he had no idea how he liked that.

 

Jimin looked up, "What's wrong?" he asked.

 

"Junghyun's little brother was brought in unconscious. He's in the waiting room with Namjoon-ah at the moment," he said.

 

"Is he going to be okay?" Taehyung asked.

 

"He should be," Hoseok said, "He wasn't that badly hurt when I brought him in. I'm just getting some tea for Junghyun and hope I can keep him there until Yoongi comes back with news on Jungkook’s condition."

 

Jimin nodded, getting up, "Here, take some of these with you," he said pulling out a packet of chocolate biscuits he had been keeping back.

 

Hoseok snorted, "Don't know if they would work," he said, but he grabbed a small saucer and let Jimin put almost half the packet on it. "Thanks," he said. Grabbing the two mugs in one hand and the plate in the other.

 

Jimin rushed over and opened the door, "We'll see about stopping by and see how things are going."

 

"All right, I'll warn him," he said as he began to head down the corridor.

 

"Doctor Park-Kim, Nurse Park-Kim, we have a patient for you in cubicle seven," a nurse said as she rushed past Hoseok.

 

Hosek smiled, his two friends rushing past him and towards the children's area of the hospitals A & E. Hoseok made his way to the waiting room and using his hip he opened the door and walked in. Namjoon was talking quietly to Junghyun, who still looked worried about his brother's condition.

 

"Right," Namjoon said, as soon as he spotted the older man enter the room, "I'm going to find Yoongi-hyung and see what I can learn," he said, getting up and leaving the room.

 

"Here," Hoseok said, putting the plate of biscuits down and handing over one of the mugs. "Jimin sent the biscuits, he also said he'll stop by and see how things are going later on."

 

"Yeah," Junghyun nodded, taking the mug and wrapping his hands around the hot ceramic.

 

Hoseok sat down on the chair across from him. He felt awkward sitting there, "You know he'll be fine," he said, hoping they were the right words to say.

 

Junghyun looked up, "I should contact Jinyoung, he... he'll want to know that something happened to Kookie," he muttered, putting the mug down and pulling out his phone.

 

"Jinyoung?" Hoseok asked.

 

Junghyun gave a nod, "Yeah, he's Kookie's boyfriend, they've been together for around a year. He just got Kookie to move in with him about two months ago. I've barely been able to see him. Then I heard of a job going here for a nurse and talked Kookie into going for it."

 

"That way you'll be able to see him more instead of him always being off with his boyfriend?" he said softly, watching Junghyun try and call Jinyoung.

 

"I miss seeing him. This will be the first time in a while, and he just has to be hurt," he said, frowning in annoyance when the call went straight to voicemail.

 

"Everything all right?" Hoseok asked, seeing Junghyun making another call.

 

"He isn't answering. it's like his phone has been turned off," he muttered, putting it away.

 

The door opened and Namjoon walked back in, beside him was Yoongi. "Hey," Namjoon said, closing the door behind them.

 

"How is he?" Junghyun asked, jumping up from his seat.

 

"We're putting him into one of the cubicles until a bed frees up on one of the wards. We want to keep him overnight," Yoongi began.

 

"Can I go and see him," he asked, not wanting to listen to anything more, all he wanted was to see his brother.

 

"We're getting him settled first," Yoongi sighed, annoyed at the interruption, "Now shut up," he muttered.

 

"Yoongi-hyung," Namjoon said in that disappointed tone.

 

"Well, he needs to know what condition his brother is in," he pointed out, giving Namjoon a look. He turns back to face Junghyun and begins again, "He has bruised ribs, but they will heal soon enough. just has to be careful for a little while. So make sure he tells his workplace. The other thing, that has been a concern is the blow to his head. Looks like there was one large blow. He has a concussion but hasn't woke up yet."

 

Junghyun paled, he knew that could mean that there were serious problems with his brain. "Have you?" he began to ask, cutting himself off before he could.

 

"We've got him scheduled for an MRI in about two hours, if he doesn't wake up," Yoongi reassured him, "If he does, then it will be the usual questions and observation."

 

Junghyun nodded, "Okay," he said, taking a breath and calming himself down. "I just want to know what the hell happened to him."

 

"Have no clue as to that," Yoongi said with a dark mutter.

 

"So, now can I see him?" he asked. "You know, some time today would be great," he snarked a little. He hated being told that he couldn't see his little brother. It had been a while, and he missed him and worried about him.

 

"Watch your tone," Yoongi growled at him.

 

"Junghyun-ah, drink your tea and have a biscuit," Hoseok said, "Someone will come and take us there."

 

"Us?" Junghyun questioned, taking the tea and drinking it quickly in one go.

 

Hoseok watched him drink and pick up one of the biscuits. "Yah, slow down, you'll choke and then what would happen when your brother wakes up and finds out that you are in the bed next to him!" he scolded.

 

"Listen, I want to see Jungkook now, not later, now," he said, glaring at them all in the room.

 

"I'll take you there," Namjoon said before Hoseok or Yoongi could say anything else, "But you need to calm yourself down. I know that you're upset and worried for him, but snapping at everyone around you isn't going to help you," he pointed out.

 

Junghyun closed his eyes, trying to rain in his frayed nerves and temper, "Fine, I apologise Hyungs," he said looked to Hoseok and then Yoongi, "Can I please see Jungkook."

 

"Come on," Namjoon said, thankful that he knew where they were going to put the young man until his move to one of the overnight wards.

 

Junghyun followed him out of the room and through to the back behind the reception and waiting rooms, to where the cubicles were. He could hear other patients, Doctors and Nurses. Namjoon stopped and pulled the curtain inside. Junghyun looked inside, it was then that he realized that he was still hoping that it was a mistake and that it wasn't his little brother.

 

"Kook-ah," he said softly as he went over to the bed, taking a hand in his and brushing the dark hair away from closed eyes.

 

"He'll be fine," Namjoon reassured him. "Now, I'm going to leave you alone, if he wakes up, you need to go and find Yoongi-hyung. Don't wait around too much after he does, all right."

 

Junghyun looked up and nodded, "Yeah, sure," he said, adding on a quick, "Hyung."

 

Namjoon shook his head, watching as the young receptionist started talking softly to the unconscious man on the bed. He walked out and headed to Seokjin's office, he was late for their lunch, he just hoped the elder would have a little free time to take a late one.

 

XxXxX

 

Junghyun sat on the hard plastic seat for almost an hour as he waited for his little brother to wake up. Jimin and Taehyung had quickly stopped by, another mug of tea in their hands for him. He was grateful, knowing if he was anyone else he wouldn't have received any tea and would have had to leave and get one from the machines out in the waiting area.

 

Junghyun looked towards fluttering eyes as he heard a grown come from the bed. "Kook-ah," he called out. His voice soft and badly about a whisper.

 

It took a few moments before Jungkook's eyes opened. An unfocused gaze met Junghyun's as he said, "hyung," his voice badly audible.

 

"Hey," he smiled, "It's okay, you're okay," he reassured as Jungkook's eyes went wide as he took in where he was.

 

"What... what happened?" he asked in a panic, "How?"

 

"I'd like to know what happened, as well Kookie," Junghyun said, biting back the rush of anger towards whoever or whatever had caused his brothers injuries. "You were found on a street from what Hoseok-hyung told me."

 

"Oh, erm," he said, eyes wide as he tried to think of what to say, "I don't remember," he said, though he turned his head away from his brother. Junghyun knew that he was lying. His younger brother was hiding something from him.

 

"Jungkook, tell me," he demanded.

 

"I... I don't really remember, I remember something hitting my head and then nothing," he said, trying to sit up. His vision blurred as he flopped back down on the bed.

 

"Stay there, I need to go and get Yoongi," he sighed, "Just take it easy all right. You're hurt," he said, remembering what he had been told.

 

Jungkook watched his brother leave and he closed his eyes. He hated lying to his brother. Tears began to form in the corner of his eyes as the curtain was pulled open and a man, somewhat shorter than his brother walked in. Dyed blond hair hung in his eyes, serious eyes almost seem to glare at him from beyond the glasses the Doctor was wearing.

 

"Good to see you awake, I'm Doctor Min," he said, his tone not the usual cheerfulness you would expect from a lot of doctors that worked in the A&E department.

 

"Erm, yeah," he said with a nervous smile, wincing as his head gave a throb.

 

"What hurts?" he asked, going over to the bed and already beginning to shine light into his eyes.

 

Jungkook almost moved his head back, but let the man check him, "head and chest," he answered simply. knowing it was best, to tell the truth about what was hurting.

 

"Right," Yoongi said as he began to ask a series of questions. Jungkook answered them. "Concussion, we're going to be keeping you in overnight. And make sure you take it easy, you have some bruised ribs. Do you remember what happened to you?" he asked.

 

Jungkook hesitated for a moment before answering, "I... I went for a walk down to the shops nearby. Needed to get a few things. Something hit me over the head and that's the last I remember," he told them. He could see Junghyun watching him closely.

 

Yoongi nodded, "All right, we're going to be taking you up to the ward soon, a bed has become available for you."

 

Jungkook nodded as the man left him alone with his brother for a moment. "I'm okay hyung," he reassured him, "I don't know why they called you in."

 

"I wasn't called, I work here," Junghyun said, with a roll of his eyes.

 

"This is..." Jungkook groaned, wincing as his ribs and head protested.

 

"Yeah, this is where you'll be working in a weeks time," Junghyun finished for him.

 

"What an impression I made," he said.

 

"Only you Kookie," Junghyun snorted, "Right, I have to get back to work, I've been with you since you were brought in, well, almost," he said, still annoyed about them stopping him from seeing Jungkook as soon as he could.

 

"All... all right," Jungkook said, "Have you called Jinyoung, he'll be wondering where I am, or... do you know where my phone is?" he asked.

 

"It wasn't with you," Junghyun frowned.

 

"Oh, yeah, I remember, I left it at home," he said smiling weakly.

 

Junghyun nodded, "I'll call him again and if he doesn't answer I'll try every half hour okay," he said, knowing his brother would pester him if he didn't.

 

"Thanks, hyung," he said, "Bring me something to read?" he begged.

 

Junghyun snorted, "No, you rest up. Need to try and improve your first impression on the people that work here after all. You only met Doctor Kim Seokjin."

 

Jungkook nodded and watched his brother leave him alone as he waited to go up to the ward for the night. He would rather be at home. He let his eyes close and drifted.