Prologue: A Dolls Story

Boundaries

The Dolls System: A system set up by the social elite for the social elite to capture profits in services, often ual in nature, rendered by the lowest societal caste, the Dolls, for the highest social castes.  The process involved admittance of children, often under the age of ten and orphaned or sold, into Nurseries where they would undergo a decade long process of education in servitude, submission, and practical skills.  Nurseries, ran by Caretakers, were responsible for keeping to health code regulations as well as government branding of the Dolls.  A tattoo would be inked into the neck before they were then placed on the market to be sold as individual products.

At the end of their useful life or when deemed fit by their owners, they were often recycled and resold at book value to a local Dollhouse.  There, they would remain in service to the public until they became deemed unfit to provide value by the Mother of the Dollhouse.  They were then disposed of and shipped to a local crematorium.

The system was abolished after politician Yoo Youngjae rose to power and fame.  The young social elite stirred the hearts of citizens and Dolls alike with compassion and won popular vote rapidly in the few years of his successful candidacy.  Through his own struggles, a bill was finally passed in his fourth year of power.  The bill would destroy the system in just months, build a safety net for surviving exDolls within the workforce, and assist in the reintegration of these individuals into society.

The bill provided laws to support exDolls in their pursuit for job placements, asset ownership, and legal marriages.  They were provided citizenships in the form of Registered Identification (RID) and were given access to standard living privileges.  Tattoos were removed at government costs and regulations dictated a minimum staffing requirement of 10% RID holders for all medium to large sized businesses.

The transition had its fair share of setbacks; though laws have changed, the minds and hearts of some citizens were difficult to educate.  Hate and discrimination riddled the streets where change was resisted and many exDolls suffered social hardship.  With time however, social standards shift as do expectations and, along with it, actions.

A year has passed since…


Author's notes:And so it begins... super excited to start writing this!  It's been rolling around in my mind for quite some time and now that I've finished Dolls, it's time to bring this to the table.  I hope to see you all through this as we embark on a new journey into the world of Dolls!