Refrain

Unniedul, Saranghae! ❤ -- Discontinued --

Chapter 13

 

"Sorry for the intrusion..."

"Don't worry, Byulyi-sshi. Please make yourself at home."

Byulyi smiled politely at Yongsun's welcoming tone. The examination taken by their Anihumans unexpectedly took a lot of time, they arrived back at the human world at 11 pm o'clock. There is no more public transport operating at this our, so Hyejin also Byulyi have to spend the night at the Yongsun's and Wheein's house.

Hyejin, of course, chose Wheein's house as her temporary refugee, so Byulyi and her sisters have to sleepover at Yongsun's house. Ever since she stepped into the humble abode, Byulyi had been very uncomfortable. It's her first time spending the night in another person's house and she's nervous.

"Unnie, you're shaking," Jeongyeon pointed out. She poked Byulyi's prominent ribs making the latter shrieked in surprise.

"I'm nervous, okay. What if I do something that made Yongsun-sshi dislikes me?" Byulyi shivered. "I mean, this is her home. I can't be too comfortable."

"Oh, come on, unnie," Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. "We're only spending the night here. It's not like we're going to live here from tomorrow on."

"I know, I know. Just let me be for a while, okay? I'll calm myself down," Byulyi nudged her sister's arm. Jeongyeon shrugged and made a beeline for the kitchen. "Fine, suit yourself."

Being left alone, Byulyi stood dumbly in the middle of the living room. Yongsun had said earlier that she's going to take a bath and by the sounds of water, she's probably doing so now. Jihyo went with Jeongyeon to the kitchen, cooking whatever left for a very late dinner. Dahyun fell asleep the moment she met her pillow, Momo's tending her minor wounds and Mina's nowhere to be seen.

"Byul-ah?"

Said girl whipped her head at the voice's direction, finding Yongsun staring at her curiously. "What are you doing?"

When Byulyi failed to answer right away, Yongsun giggled. "I'll prepare your bed now. Would you like to help?"

"Yeah, sure," Byulyi smiled. "I would love to."

Meanwhile, at the kitchen, Jeongyeon's leaning at the fridge, mindlessly watching Jihyo cooking some omelettes for both of them plus Momo. Their keepers refused to eat (Yongsun's on a night diet and Byulyi simply didn't want to) so Jihyo made five omelettes. One for her, two for Jeongyeon and two for Momo.

"I'm really wondering how the hell is Byulyi-unnie's able to feed the both of you," Jihyo suddenly quipped.

Jeongyeon laughed. "Oh, don't worry. She's rich enough Momo's eating money every day."

Jihyo shook her head, unaware of the vulnerable look in Jeongyeon's eyes. The shorter girl didn't really intend to continue the conversation but Jeongyeon speaks.

"Well, actually Mo and I do some work, you know," the taller girl said softly. This piqued Jihyo's interest, and she shot a questioning look at Jeongyeon.

"You work too? Cool! I'm also working at the restaurant near here! You should visit sometimes," Jihyo chuckled, plating the omelettes and giving one to Jeongyeon. "What do you and Mo do?"

The dog Anihuman grinned. "Some dirty works. You don't want to know."

"Yah, unnie!"

"Hey, did you just 'yah' me?" Jeongyeon put her hand on her chest, feigning hurt. "Is that your way to talk to your elder?"

Jihyo stuck her tongue out. "You're only a few months older than me. You don't have the right of me respecting you."

"Awww, don't be like that, Jihyo-ah," Jeongyeon whined, enveloping herself on Jihyo's smaller figure. "You know you love mee~"

"No I'm not! And get yourself away from me or I'm calling Nayeon-unnie!" Jihyo wriggled free from Jeongyeon's embrace, making way to the dining room with two plates in hand. "Jeong-unnie. Can you call Momo? Tell her the food's done."

"She's talking with Minari. Let them be. She'll rush inside once she smelled the food anyway," Jeongyeon sat on the chair, clapping her hands once as a sign of gratitude. "Thank you for the food. Let's eat."

True to Jeongyeon's words, Momo's currently sitting on the front porch, applying some antiseptics to the snake bites on her left ankle. The snakes before are venomous, but being a raccoon Anihuman, their venom made no effect to her body. Only the penetrating wound was bleeding so Momo has to take care of them before they got infected.

Mina's also at the front porch, helping Momo tending her wounds. They said nothing for the past fifteen minutes or so, Momo too occupied with her injuries while Mina, as usual, is musing silently.

"All done! Thanks, Minari. I'm all patched up, now," Momo grinned, returning the antiseptics to Mina's waiting hand.

The other girl just nodded, unwilling to start the conversation. Between the two of them, Momo has always been the talkative one, the assertive one. Mina rarely initiates anything whenever they're alone and she doesn't plan to start now.

"Hey, Minari," Momo cleared , catching Mina's attention. "Umm, y'know. We've never really talked after the cafe meeting..."

Mina nodded slowly. Momo scratched her nape, feeling awkward all of the sudden. "I've... I've never properly apologized for being... missing for so long and made you sad. Jeong told me everything and–"

"No, Momoring," Mina interjected. She leaned her head on the elder's shoulder. "As you said that day. It wasn't anyone's fault. You should stop blaming yourself too."

"So you finally take my advice to heart," Momo smirked. "Good, because I don't want you to be all gloomy just like what Jeong had said when I died."

Mina giggled, hitting Momo's injured arm playfully. "I was. Not anymore. You've come back to the team so I don't have any more reason to be sad for your 'death'."

"Rightfully so," Momo agrees. She then chuckled while grasping Mina's hand. "You know what? When I learned from Kanan-san that JYP-sunbaenim declared that I'm dead, the first thing I thought about is how you would fare. Knowing you, I bet you slept on my bed on the first few weeks."

Mina sat up straight. "Bold of you to assume that I did that."

"We've studied at the same academy for five years and we've been roommates for three years. By the way you reacted just now I know I hit a bullseye," Momo's amused laughter boomed into the night. "Admit it Minari, you love and missed me so much, don't you?"

The younger girl pouted, crossing her arms on her chest in embarrassment. "I'm not!"

"Yes you are! You cried when we first met on the day the Soshi team fetched us!" by now, Momo's holding her chest tightly in her laughing fit. She feels the dull pain of her incomplete ribs but it's worth it for seeing Mina's adorable pout.

"Stop teasing me," Mina switched strategy, pulling Momo's arm repeatedly like a moody child. "Why are you so insufferable."

"But you love me."

"I'm not!"

The two Anihumans continues their bickering, oblivious to a lone figure approaching them. Another Anihuman, illuminated by the dim street lamp light. Chaeyoung raised her eyebrows when she saw her older teammates yelling and beating each other playfully at Yongsun's front porch. She smirked.

"Mom!"

Momo immediately whipped her head at her voice. "Chaenggie! Did you just called me?"

"I'm talking to Mina-unnie," Chaeyoung deadpanned.

"MOM?!" the raccoon gasped in shock. "You girls have that kind of relationship once I left?!"

She then turned to Mina, hand over her heart. "You cheated on me!"

"That was a joke!" Mina giggled. "Chaeng was injured one time and I treated her. Then she said 'Mina-unnie is so caring like my mother'."

"Turned out Jeongyeon-unnie was there, listening," the cat Anihuman sighed. "And you know how she is. She made it blow up in our group that everybody teased me to call Mina-unnie 'Mom'."

"And you did that?" Momo was very amused.

"Did it a few times because they're so persistent in bullying me," Chaeyoung grinned. "Oh, well. I didn't come here to discuss this. 'Sides I only use that to surprise you."

The raccoon clicked her tongue. "You're such a great dongsaeng I'm torn in kissing or killing you."

"Please don't do both!" Chaeyoung exclaimed while snickering. "Oh, by the way, I was meant to ask. Is Dubu still awake?"

Both older Anihumans shook their head. Mina answers, "She fell asleep just as we arrived. Why?"

"That's a shame," the cat pouted. "Was hoping to talk for a little while. Ah, another thing. Is Jeongyeon-unnie still awake?"

"Yeah, she said she was cooking for–" Momo's eyes widened in realization. "Dinner! Shoot! I forgot! I'm hungry! Be back in a few minutes bye!"

"Momo-unnie! Tell her to switch place with me!!"

"I will!!" Momo's voice faintly echoes. Chaeyoung shook her head fondly. Mina, on the other hand, watching her younger teammate questioningly.

"Switch place with her? What do you mean by that, Chaenggie?" Mina asked softly.

"Oh, that?" Chaeyoung runs her fingers on her hair. "I'm intending to sleep here tonight. There's still a room, right? I'm kinda sick of seeing Sana-unnie snaking on Chewy."

Mina raised her eyebrows.

Silence. Chaeyoung exhaled heavily. "Okay, okay. Nayeon-unnie bothered me. I'm just a bit tired to respond to her so I left."

The older girl smiled sympathetically. "What did she said to you?"

Chaeyoung groaned in exasperation. "You wouldn't want to know."

###

A few minutes ago at the Jung household, Tzuyu was silently sipping on her tea while watching an exhausted Chaeyoung trying to free herself from Nayeon's hold. Sana's sitting beside her, sleepy but equally amused.

"Oh, come on, Chaenggie," Nayeon whined, hugging the younger's arm tightly. "Don't you want to chat with me?"

"No, unnie, please," Chaeyoung wailed, tugging her arm fruitlessly. "I'm tired, let me rest. We can talk a lot tomorrow."

"But I wanted to talk with you tonight," the older Anihuman persisted. "We've been separated for so long, and we rarely talked after we met each other. Don't you miss me?"

"No, I'm not. And I'm totally honest," Chaeyoung grunted.

"Rude," Nayeon put her hands on her hips, finally letting Chaeyoung free. "And here I thought that you were my 'daughter'."

Chaeyoung's forehead wrinkled. "I'm sorry, what?"

"You used to be the 2yeon supremacist back at the academy."

"I've stopped doing that since three years ago–"

"To the point that I've considered you as my own daughter..."

"Unnie–"

"Or should I say..." the hare Anihuman giggled mischievously. Chaeyoung's nape hair rose. "My 'son', Chaeyoung?"

Immediately after she said that, Nayeon laughed hysterically. Sana stared at her eldest unnie in disbelief. Tzuyu choked on her tea. Chaeyoung was not amused.

"That's it. I'm leaving," the second youngest member her heels. "I'm sleeping at Yongsun-unnie's house tonight."

"Noooo Chaenggieee!!" Nayeon wailed but not without laughter in her voice. She let the younger girl go through the front door. Wiping her tears once she heard the door slammed shut.

Sana shook her head. "I couldn't believe you chased her away like that, unnie."

"Oh, let her be," Nayeon slumped to the couch, giggling. "I saw that she's jelly seeing the both of you. She just needs a stronger reason to leave this house so she can sleepover at Yongsun-unnie's house. I gave her that, she should be grateful. Besides, I believe she will ask Jeongyeon to switch places with her. It's a win-win situation."

"She's jealous? I see that she's finally feeling..." Sana sips Tzuyu's tea, earning a glare from the latter but ignored her. "..thirsty."

Sana high-fived Nayeon. Tzuyu banged her head on the table.

"I should have stayed with Mina-unnie or Jihyo-unnie," she mumbled. Sana heard that and the older girl immediately laid herself across Tzuyu's lap, facing upward. She placed her hand on Tzuyu's cheek, her lovingly.

"Awww don't you want to be with me?" the lizard asked with her cutest pleading eyes.

Tzuyu narrowed her eyes. "They're reasonable. Which both of you snakes will never be."

Sana giggled, making Tzuyu rolled her eyes. But the latter never once shy away from Sana's touch or refusing her. Nayeon just chuckled seeing her teammates' antics. She stood up, leaving the two in their own world.

The hare was about to enter the kitchen when she saw Wheein's bedroom door slightly ajar. She peeked inside, smiling as she noticed the two sleeping figures and closed the door. Making sure that Wheein and Hyejin aren't disturbed by her action, Nayeon whispered softly to the door despite the zero chance of her keeper listening to her.

"Good night, unnie. Sleep tight."

###

For a week, nothing in particular happens. After their spontaneous sleepover, all four teams had maintained a constant communication. The keepers would usually talk to each other via the phone while the Anihumans would meet up at times. Sometimes they went to Jihyo's restaurant, sometimes to Sana's cafe or just strolling together around the city.

It was on Thursday that Tiffany suddenly showed up at Jihyo's restaurant. The younger Anihuman immediately tensed up, but the Pegasus simply smiled and told her to continue working.

"I wanted to talk with you, but I'll wait until your shift ends. By the way, what's the best menu here?"

Tiffany ends up eating her lunch at Jihyo's restaurant. While waiting for 2.30, she ordered some random beverages to keep her occupied. She also bought a novel which she read silently, not once sparing a glance to Jihyo. Even without Tiffany's attention, Jihyo's still nervous to the core, questioning the ruler's motives to visit her.

Jihyo approached Tiffany the moment she finished her shift. The ruler smiled, noticing the younger's presence and closed her book.

"Good afternoon, Jihyo-ah."

Jihyo bowed. "Good afternoon, Tiffany-sunbaenim."

"Aw, don't call me that," Tiffany reaches across the table to pat Jihyo's shoulder. "Just call us 'unnie', from now on. We don't really like our dongsaeng calling us 'sunbaenim'. Too formal, don't you think so?"

Is she testing me?!

The younger girl laughed awkwardly. "S-Sure.. Tiffany-unnie..."

"There, that sounds so much better," Tiffany smiled, showing Jihyo her beautiful eye smile. "Now, would it be better for us to talk here? Or do you wished to talk at another place? Where no one would recognize us?"

Jihyo ponders for a while. "I think we should go. I know a place that sells great ice cream."

Tiffany clapped her hand excitedly. "Ooh, I love ice cream! Shall we go?"

Jihyo nodded. After Tiffany paid for her bills, the two Anihumans went to the ice cream parlor recommended by Jihyo. Tiffany easily clung to the younger's arm while Jihyo's having trouble breathing.

Once they reached their destination, Tiffany ordered two strawberry ice cream.

"I hope you like strawberry," she said as she sat across Jihyo, serving the younger her own glass.

"I'll eat anything, don't worry," Jihyo exhaled. Trying to calm her nerves. "Umm... Tiffany-unnie, what are you going to talk to me about?"

"Hmm?" Tiffany leered. "Have a guess."

"Is it about the second exam?" Jihyo asked carefully. Her heart skipped a bit when Tiffany gave her a thumb up.

"That was one of the reason. The other is that I want to ask you something," the older Anihuman scooped a bit of her ice cream and ate it thoughtfully. "Say, Jihyo-ah. What would you do if one of your members turned out to be a berserk Anihuman?"

Jihyo stopped in her track, a spoon of ice cream floating in the air. She put it back down, clearing uncomfortably. "I'm sorry, Tiffany-unnie, but may I know the reason of why did you ask me this?"

"Simple," Tiffany her spoon clean before staring at Jihyo with a serious expression.

"Because my members and I have observed your group. And we concluded that three members out of nine are having a possibility to grow into a berserk Anihuman."

Jihyo gulped.

This has taken a worse turn than what she'd expected.

 

To be continued...