Chapter IV

끝까지 기다리다 (To wait until the end)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(February, 1406)

 

 

It has been ten years of King Bumseok's reign and military was the priority of the country, foreigners have tried to conquer Korea but the strong military force was powerful enough to keep the enemies back. Prince Geunseok recently turned 13 and he has been admitted to the kingdom university, joining the scholars as he studied astronomy and science while learning how to fight. There has been a rumor going around the palace, about witches of the east, a traveller had arrived with the news, the witches have destroyed a town in the east and they are planning to attack the palace soon.

 

 

"We must eliminate the witches, father, we have strong military" Wooseok spoke up as they ate dinner.

 

"Wooseok, did I not tell you that dinner is not the time to discuss that topic?"

 

"Witches? They exist?" Geunseok asked and his father just smiled at him.

 

"Wasn't it a witch who killed our mother?" Boram murmured and Geunseok dropped his spoon.

 

"Boram! We will not discuss this"

 

 

Geunseok could not sleep that night, a witch killed his mother, a witch, a lowly creature killed her. Geunseok was enraged. 

 

Geunseok was 14 when the king died, believed to be poisoned by a witch. The whole Korean peninsula was mourning for the king's death, Wooseok was furious, he wanted the coronation to happen as quickly as possible, he wanted to kill every witch in the country. 

 

 

"Bow down to our new king, King Wooseok" the crowds cheered as the new king was appointed.

 

"As your new king, to avenge my father's death. I demand the death of all witches in our lands. A public execution, bring every witch to this palace and we shall burn each one of them to ashes" King Wooseok declared, the crowds cheered, Geunseok smiled, he will finally avenge his mother's death.

 

 

-----

 

 

"They found us" Seulgi barged into Boa's home, the Great Witch was having her dinner with Yoonoh.

 

"Joohyun, take good care of Yoonoh, leave the country, us elders, we have nowhere to run"

 

"But Great Witch..." Joohyun held Yoonoh's hand, the boy was 12.

 

"Mama, I can protect you, please don't leave me"

 

"Yoonoh, take this pendant, this is my gift for you" Boa smiled and put the necklace on Yoonoh.

 

 

Joohyun had to drag the boy out of the house as soldiers raided their community, Boa and the others did not fight back, they followed the soldiers as Yoonoh and Joohyun watched from the dark. Joohyun fell asleep and woke up alone, Yoonoh followed the soldiers. 

 

 

------

 

 

Twenty witches stood in line in front of King Wooseok, the princes stood behind him, the witches were tied to wooden crosses. In the middle was the Great Witch, Boa. "Finally, the witches of the east has come, if you have any last words, you may speak" Wooseok chuckled as the guards held torches, crowds cheering, from the side, the young Yoonoh stood and watched in shock. Boa turned her head to look at the boy's direction 

 

"I lived with no regrets, I shall die the same, we are not an enemy, you have greatly mistaken, but we forgive you, My King" Boa smiled at Yoonoh, the boy bit his lip to not cry out loud. This is the first time Boa saw the boy cry ever since he was brought to their community.

 

"Fools, you monsters deserve to burn in hell, execute them!" King Wooseok commanded, Yoonoh was about to push through the crowd but someone pulled him.

 

"No Yoonoh, we do not live like this, we do not live like these humans, please calm down. The Great Witch had predicted this. Let us leave in silence" 

 

Yoonoh's tears couldn't stop as he watched Boa, the person who loved him like a real mother, burn into ashes.

 

 

 

(September, 2018)

 

 

"Yoonoh, is it getting worse?" Joohyun wiped his nose.

 

"I'm okay noona" he quickly sat up.

 

"You have to go to class, do you want to skip for a day?" 

 

"I'm fine"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter