Outrageous Enough

They call it puppy love or something
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo glanced around the pub from behind the bar. It was one of those slow Friday nights at Mino's, rare but welcome. She propped her elbow onto the gleaming countertop and rested her chin in her hand. The band struck up a new song. She wrinkled her nose in distaste. They had been booked last minute. The house band had all come down with the flu and Mino had called around town for a stand in group. These guys were the only band around that didn't already have a gig. Jisoo could hear why. They were awful. Every one of their songs sounded exactly alike. The tempo, a never changing, lulling beat. She yawned and rubbed the back of her hands over her eyes.

The five band members looked as sad as they sounded. Every one of them was going bald but what little hair they did have was gray, stringy, and hung down past their shoulders. Their beer guts hung out from under their thin, dirty white T-shirts and folded over the waistbands of their tight, black, leather pants. To complete the look they all wore matching black leather vests. And to top it all off each band member had their very own pair of thick-framed sunglasses with black lenses.

Jisoo applauded their effort to look cool but planned on skipping the sandwich she'd brought for dinner because of it. She pursed her lips and shook her head as she watched them perform. It was an insult to leather. With a deep sigh, she picked up a freshly washed glass and began to dry it with a clean white cloth.

" Hey Jisoo," a man greeted as he sat down on the worn red vinyl covered stool nearby.

" Hey Sehun," she replied in a flat, bored tone. Her eyes looked past him at the frightening scene on the stage.

Sehun looked over his shoulder, following her gaze. His lip curled back and he cleared his throat. " What a waste of money." He shook his head. " You should have left the mike open. Anything is better than this!"

Jisoo grinned and set the glass aside. " Your usual?" she asked him.

" It looks like a slow night," he remarked, swinging around to face her and placing both of his forearms flat on the counter. " Make it a double."

" Ooooooo!" Jisoo laughed. " We've got ourselves a risk taker!" she teased as she flipped the towel across her left her shoulder.

" Just call me Evil Knievil," Sehun declared as he watched her move around behind the bar, fixing his drink. She set the scotch and soda in front of him. He picked up his glass and raised it in salute before he took a swallow.

Jisoo smiled and poured herself a Pepsi. She leaned on the counter once again and watched as Sehun sipped at his drink. He was a decent guy. Very, very good looking. His black unruly hair and clear, dark brown eyes painted a pretty picture. Combine that with his broad shoulders, his tall, muscular build and any woman couldn't help but sigh. To go along with his good looks he was kind and had a great sense of humor.

More than once he'd helped Jisoo with an angry drunk or a customer who was getting fresh with her. He had also taken a few passed out drinkers to their homes so they wouldn't drive drunk. He wasn't a big drinker himself. Jisoo usually saw him in the bar on the weekends and on an occasional weekday. He came to have a drink and unwind from his workweek. Sometimes he had a date. Usually he didn't.

" Why are you guys so slow tonight?" Sehun asked.

" I'm beginning to think it might be the Blues Brothers over there," Jisoo shrugged.

" Is that what they call themselves?" Sehun asked.

" No but they defiantly look like wannabees," she replied, shaking her head.

" If only they sounded a little more like the real Blues Brothers," Sehun commented.

" Yeah," Jisoo nodded in agreement. " I don't think they even have a name."

" No loss there," Sehun leaned onto the bar and took another sip of his drink. He stared beyond Jisoo at the wall of liquor bottles, off in his own little world.

" Why the long face?" Jisoo asked him, pulling the towel off of her shoulder.

Brought out of his musings by the question, he looked over to her in surprise." I don't have a long face," Sehun protested.

" Come on! Don't try to pull that over on me Sehun!" she laughed as she began to wipe down the already gleaming counter. " I've known you too long."

" Yeah, I guess you have." Sehun admitted, scratching his head. " What's it been? Three years?"

" About that," Jisoo agreed. She pointed her finger at his nose. " Don't try and change the subject!" She went to stand directly across the counter from him. " What's up?"

" Do you always stick your nose in other people's business?" he grinned slightly.

" I'm a bartender," she said in a serious voice. " That's my job." Her lips spread to form a bright smile. " So spill."

" I never thought I'd be telling you about this kind of a thing," he shook his head in disbelief and finished off his drink.

" It isn't male problems is it?" Jisoo demanded. She put her hands out in front of her. " Because if it is, I don't want to know!"

" No, no! It's nothing like that." Sehun chuckled, almost choking on his last swallow of scotch and soda.

" Good," Jisoo sighed in relief. She pulled a wooden stool over and sat across the bar from Sehun. She took a sip of her Pepsi and settled herself, ready to listen. " Fire away!" she declared.

Sehun breathed deeply. " This is a little awkward for me." he laughed shakily and self-consciously. " I've always seemed to have girls chasing after me. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I can pretty much have my pick of single women around here."

" That isn't so hard to believe," Jisoo commented under her breath with a smile upon her lips.

Sehun grinned sheepishly. " Well," he continued. " I don't want just any single woman. I want one in particular."

Jisoo stared down into her Pepsi. She grabbed a stirring stick and began twirling it around in her glass.

" The thing is," He let out a sigh. " She isn't interested in me like that."

" Does she know that you feel this way?" she asked slowly.

" I've never told her if that's what you mean," he replied, shifting on his barstool.

" Excuse my saying so, but why the hell not?" Jisoo demanded. " Sehun, you're right. You could have any woman you want."

" Really?" he asked hopefully.

" Really," she confirmed. " But you can't leave it all up to them!"

" So I should tell her?" Sehun questioned uncertainly.

" Sehun!" Jisoo admonished with a laugh. " I thought you were a little more smooth than that!"

" Not with her." Sehun objected. " With her I'm shy and practically stutter every time I speak." he laughed ruefully.

" Do something outrageous!" she exclaimed.

" I'll send her flowers!" Sehun declared with determination and slammed his fist on the counter.

" Flowers?" she snorted doubtfully. " No. I mean really outrageous."

" Like what?" he chuckled at her enthusiasm.

" Like, next time you see her just hall off and kiss her!" Jisoo burst out, standing up.

Sehun stared at her for a few moments, digesting her suggestion. He followed her suit and stood. Their eyes met and held. He slowly leaned over the bar. Her heart skipped a beat.

" Thanks Jisoo!" Sehun smiled and clapped her on the shoulder. He took out his wallet, extracted a bill, and slapped it onto the bar top. " I'll see you tomorrow at the Halloween Party." With that he strode across the tavern's wooden floors and through the door with newfound confidence and determination.

Jisoo let out the breath that she had been holding. Her shoulders drooped. She looked after Sehun. He was already out the door. With a long, wistful sigh she shook her head from side to side with disappointment. Glancing down at the bar, she picked up the twenty-dollar bill that he had placed there.

" Oh well," she shrugged. " At least I got a tip out it. Not exactly what I was aiming for, but hey, it's better then nothing."

Now she would have to wait till tomorrow to hear if he'd done it. He had said that he would see her the next day at the Halloween Party.

" Wait a minute," she declared in puzzlement to herself. " What party?" Jisoo thought for a minute. fell open. " !" She cursed as she realized she'd forgotten about the party.

Tomorrow was the bar's annual Halloween Party. All of the customers and staff dress up in costumes, drink, eat, and dance till late into the night. So what was the problem? Jisoo didn't have a costume. She'd completely forgotten to get one. Mino was going to kill her. Jisoo picked up the phone and dialed the number of the phone line in Mino's upstairs office. He picked up after a few rings.

" Mino's, this is Mino speaking." Came the answer.

" Mino, I've got a problem." Jisoo began.

" I thought we were slow tonight," Mino said.

" We are," Jisoo agreed into the phone. " It'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter