Living Again

Shin | 신
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Living again ; breathing you in

I wake up the next morning to an empty bed but I still felt Kris’s warmth still lingering in the sheets. My bones creaked as it moved my body from its awkward position. Two grown people trying to squeeze in the same bed they did when they were kids wasn’t exactly comfortable. Too lazy to move from the space i had newly acquired I rolled over on my back and watched the fan do slow circles in the ceiling. Now that everything was cleared out , where do we go from here?

Maybe we should carry on with our lives like it was before this. It shouldn’t make anything different. My thoughts are broken by the door creaking open and I hurriedly sat up incase it was anyone other than Kris.

“ Eunmi-ah your up , just in time for lunch. You must have been so tired and slept through the whole morning. Yi Fan has gone out for awhile to the market to buy somethings from the villagers. “
She walks over to the bed and sits by me her fingers moving all my bed hair from my face.
“ You two are finally acting like you did before. I’m too old to understand these things but its not Yi Fan’s fault for leaving.”

“ ahhh , Halmoni, I don’t blame him at all , I understand we were all children we don’t have much say in what the adults decide. “ Just wondering why he never told me straight away when he found me.

“ Thank you Eunmi. I know he’s having a hard time at work. He’s previous girlfriend was so spoilt. “ “ Ara ? “
“ You know her too? I don’t know what Kris saw in her , she doesn’t know him at all. ”

Do I know Kris as much as everyone claims to?  She waited for me to wash up and we walked downstairs together where the table was b with food like always. It was not long before I heard an old van pull up outside the gates and Kris stumbled in through almost tripping over the latch.

“ Ah my two favourite girls. “ he kisses Halmoni on the cheek and presses one on my forehead.  “ Morning Eunmi. ” I smile in reply and take my seat by the table. It was Saturday today. When Sunday passes and we return to the office would we be like this still? Maybe I should try to get back to our motion slower, calmer and not rush ten years by. When lunch is done with, Kris and I leave to deliver the groceries to all the other families. A short list and a couple of items later we’re done. I get in the car expecting him to take us home but instead he turns left at the junction and drives ahead.

“ Home was that way ”
“ I like the sound of that , but this is better , wonder if you still remember it “ The drive takes awhile and I’d fallen asleep before we reach. He wakes me from my side of the van , well at least I think its him because the sun is shinning blazingly behind him and I can only make out his silhouette.

“ Wake up sleepy , we’re here. “ I step out of the car hurrying to put my shades on because the sun is just too merciless. Then I stop. This place , this was where we’d run away to our own adventures. The trees had all grown from their tiny shrubs and now filled the small walking path with perfect shades.

“ Its beautiful “
“ It is right, come on”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter