One Weekend

Those Extras the Maknaes Bring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A door opens. It closes.

Feet dragged across the living room.

Another door opens then closes again. That must have been Yuna.

I feel like an undercover detective on a stake out the moment I woke up after an afternoon nap without anything to do. I feel lazy after I seemed to have exhausted myself baking and more like scampering around the kitchen, swatting hands of a naughty beagle over batters and doughs. Who would’ve known that baking with a bored or more like a cranky Sinb could be the worst idea over a weekend hobby? Now here I am, tired and bored, alert as a meerkat, taking notes of every teeny-weeny sound tearing our dorm, hoping so much for any sign of fun.

A door opens. It slowly closes.

How do I know it was slowly being closed? I could hear the sound of the hinges go, “ee-eer-eeerk” before the usual thud of the knob.

Told you, I’m a meerkat.

“Ppo-jjak-ppo-jjak-ppo-jjak ppo-jjak-ppo-jjak.” A few more of that and then silence. The owner of the steps must be in the kitchen now as the sounds faded in that direction.

Not too long after, another door opens. “Eeeennnggk” it had swung open followed by the clumsy “oops” and the door- well, I didn’t hear it closed but I’m sure it did.

You might want to note how my afternoon is full of doors opening and closing. Well, that’s just how it is in our dorm- the Gfriend dorm, during weekends or any free day for that matter.

***

Hi! This is Yerin and my account of one fair weekend.

***

Knowing there are people now awake, I decided to take a peek of the outside world too (our kitchen or the living room, if you may) and grace them with my presence. Still the lazy bone I am, I wriggled out of my blanket, stretching my limbs out until they couldn’t go any further. In a snap, I sat up and check the real outside world through my window.

It’s getting dark already.

“Don’t make me repeat myself Hwang Eunbi.” I heard Eunha called out with a menacing tone. But who says it’s that threatening though?

“Just a moment unnie, I promise” came a reply, more like a plea. What are they at now? I wondered.

I realized, I fell into a trance for a moment when another opening door pull me out of it. Then a few giggles entered our dorm. Now it’s the sound of inviting fun. Without further ado, I stood up and walk out of my bedroom.

“Gwoomowingeennee.” It was Yewon with a stuffed mouth.

“Oh, goomorning unnie.” Sinb greeted with a handful of cookies. Of course, Hwang Eunbi and her never-ending rituals for her roommate. **She would never fail to wait for the other by the door and welcome her ceremoniously every time the maknae gets home- and this time with cookies. I just shook my head amused. She even have her hair still in towel that must be with the rush knowing her roomie will be home soon.

“Hello girls,” I greeted back making a beeline towards Sowon unnie with a couple of grocery bags in her hands, helping her with them.

“Thanks Yennie.”

“You cooking for dinner? I think Eunha is already cooking now, unnie.”

“That’s for breakfast and some other stuffs.”

“Oh,”

“What’s with Sinb? I think she’s ignoring me.” Not knowing what she meant, I glanced at Sinb who now has her back on us, pulling Yewon to the kitchen with her.

I shrugged, “She’s actually a bit grumpy today. I think only the cookies and Yewon made her smile today.” I tried to wave off Sowon unnie’s concern.

“*Juinjang-nim!” we heard Yewon as we enter the kitchen.

“*Kang-aji!” No one knows when it started, but Eunha would sometimes call Yewon, ‘*naui kang-aji’. Everyone adores Yewon but not as much as Eunha does.

Aside from the sight of Yewon hugging Eunha by the back- the latter feeding her some cherry tomato she was slicing, and Sinb occupying herself with jellies I don’t know from where- might be brought by Yewon, a pungent aroma of a variety of spices greeted our nostrils.

Sowon unnie approached the island counter, where Eunha was busying herself with preparing our dinner, and set the bag she was holding.

“Hey,” she greeted the busy girl.

“Hey,” came the reply.

I lightly giggled at their exchange. They look like a high school couple shyly staring at each other with a blush on each cheek.

Leaning over the counter, Sowon unnie brushed off some loose strands off Eunha’s face tucking it behind her ear. That was Yewon’s cue to leave and sit beside her roommate who is as bored as bored can be- her head on the table with her arms extended flat on both sides. The jellies left forming a circle which I later found out was actually a sad emoticon.

“How’s lunch with your unnie?”

“Great. Oppa was there too, didn’t thought he’d make time. How ‘bout you? Did you have lunch?”

“Yewon and I had brunch.”

I didn’t really plan on listening to their conversation but they didn’t really plan being discreet too. I just went on organizing the things Sowon unnie bought on our cupboard and refrigerator. On the other hand, Yewon had filled a big mug of milk for her and Sinb. They just shared.

“I see you had a drink.” That was Eunha with a voice so cold, I might as well shiver. Not really.

“Compliments of the alley.”

“Yewon, did you drink too?” Now it was directed to the maknae.

“Eh?” the maknae responded surprised.

“They gave her, juice.” That was Sowon unnie earning an arched brow from her girlfriend. Yewon didn’t bother to interrupt.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter