Smile

Between You and Him

 

 

 

"Why are you crying?" The woman had urged while looking at the crying boy standing in front of her. He retained his hand concealing his face; trying to wipe the tears kept coming out from his eyes, "Can't you stop it now?"

The little boy kept sobbing, "But sisterㅡ her new clothesㅡ"

"They could always purchase a new one. So, don't cry," She declared but there's no sign the
boy would stop crying anytime soon.

The woman sighed, "Smile, Jung Jaewon. Now! If you keep crying, I'll leave you behind."

 

 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

 

 

He never wished to be the center of attention. In fact, he despises it so much, Especially when everyone had their eyes on him; having their mouth talking, most probably judging him.

"That kid, why he kept coming here?"

"Just shut your mouth and don't make a fuss."

"That's because it's annoying. I hate to regard him here."

"She's so shamelessㅡ Where does she think she leaves her son behind?"

"It's so embarrassing to have someone born without a knot."

"His face really looks like his mother."

"Let's see until when he could go."

Jaewon stayed quiet, rejecting all of the excessive attention gave to him. Because... what could a little boy like him to say at this very crucial moment? He's nothing but a nuisance to the family.

"Jaewon, come here and greet your grandmother."

An old woman was sitting in a wheelchair came inside the hall and completely distracted their whole attention.

Jaewon walked towards the woman and kneeled down to note her face. His lips curved upwards producing a smile before he fell into an affectionate hug as the woman hauled him. Jaewon placed his short arms around the woman's back.

"As we see itㅡ"

"He looks like our brother when he smiled."

"I know right. They said blood-related can't hideㅡ it's reallyㅡ"

"We knew it since he smiled."

That's why... Jaewon has hated his life... it has never been easy for him... ever since he's a child.

 

 

______________________________________

 

 

04
Smile

 

 

Jaewon frustratedly had his head lowered down, sitting at the waiting area when he heeds a familiar voice. He didn't know why but he was practically sure this voice going to generate thousands of problems to him. He had enough with it but seems like; he needs to add another one on his list.

"Then you shouldn't get worried and stay strong!" The man had given some necessary encouragement towards 
Hanbin's mother, "Fighting!"

His mother had a cheery smile plastered on her face, "Yes! Thank you, Mr. Kwon," She sincerely thanked him.

The man then approached the abandoned boy and trailed him to the rooftop. 

"Ahㅡ Damn it. What's the big deal about it? That brat, why would he lie on the bed like that? It's crazy.  It doesn't make sense at all. Why do we have such bad luck going around?"

His attention went to Jaewon who was way taller than him who kept himself quiet since they're over here. He maintained his eyes locked on the ground, demonstrating no intention to react to the words.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Now, you're going to send off your one and only friend as well?" He scoffed, "You're really scary. If it's like this, it's going to affect me as well."

Jaewon still stays silent as if none of the harsh words matter to him. As if... say whatever you want to say, but no one would understand him. No one.

"Judging your face, you couldn't even sleep properly. Jeez. Why? Are you trying to look in vain, again?"

He looked at Jaewon, "Hey, are you okay? Let me see your faceㅡ"

The man tried to touch the boy but he quickly flapped his hand, "Don't touch me."

"Don't do anything foolish," He allegedly grabbed Jaewon by his collar as his eyes intensely glared at him, "Till the moment he wakes up, hold the urge to do those things. Be responsible on what you had done."

"Since when did you guys ever be responsible?"

The offensive statement made the man went speechless for a while. He gradually let Jaewon go from his grip.

"Don't worry. I'm not a child anymore. I won't bother you nor calling for you," Jaewon declared with a smile on his face.

"Then, is that why you asked your father instead? I heard that you requested a help to get Hanbin in a VIP room. So, he finally could control you at last, huh?"

Jaewon 
levelled his eyes, "Stop talking about it."

"I'm sorry, uncle," He diverted his eyes as he prominently mentioned those.

"That again? Smiling and losing."

Jaewon shrugged, "Then should I cry? Look at me, please. I smiled because I want you to praise me," He widened his lips to form a more beaming smile.

"
Craㅡzy," The man took out a cigarette from his pocket, "Don't say those disgusting things anymore. I had enough with you. Now, don't make things more complicated and persuade Jennie to let go of her anger. Don't regret it when it's too late later."

He was taken aback when Jennie's name came out from his uncle's lips. Jaewon admired the breathtaking scenery ahead of him with his brain actively thinking about that particular girl. He heaved out a silent sigh.

"It's already too late for that."


Because from the start...

 

 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

 

 

Flashback 

 


"Heck. Jennie, are you okay?!"

"What the hell have you done, Jung Jaewon?!"

"He threw up on Jennie's clothes! Disgusting!!"

Jennie stunned because all of it happened in a flash of light. She was walking alone when suddenly Jaewon stealthily approached her and... it just happened. Without any other sign for it. 

Jaewon currently is kneeling down on the floor while securing his head lowered down, presumably trying to hide from the critical attention given by all of the other students around them.

"Call the teacher!"

"Jennie, are you okay? What should we do?"

Everyone focused on Jennie and only her. No one ever cared about the boy who was currently in acute pain on the cold floor. 

"Go away, Jung Jaewon!"

As soon as someone expressed those, Jaewon, once again threw up right in front of them.

"He threw up again!"

Suddenly, 
saviour came into the chaotic scene, most likely will make the situation better, "Why is it so loud over here?"

"Hanbin! Jaewon just threw up! It's not even a joke!" One of the students there notified him.

"It covered Jennie's face and clothes!"

Jennie startled to mark Hanbin there, "Hanㅡ Hanbin-ah."

"Yah, are you okay? Are you sick?"

Instead of looking out for Jennie... There he goes, directly ran towards Jaewon and asked about his condition. Only God knows, how the scene severely hurts Jennie... It's... awful... to see your best friend giving such attention 
to someone else instead of you.

"Let's go to the infirmary," Hanbin had suggested to Jaewon.

"Hanbin, don't touch him! It will get onto you!"

He glared at the owner of the voice, "You're so loud! I could just wash it. Everyone step aside!"

"What the hell Hanbin--- It covered Jennie---"

"He was pretending to be nice. It's annoying, you short boy."

They had mumbled those right beside Jennie but all the girl could see on how attentive Hanbin towards the boy named Jaewon. Until... he didn't even take a look at Jennie. Not even once.

"Can you stand up?" Hanbin urged the boy and he slowly jerked. He had assisted the boy and scolded everyone in his lane, "Step aside! He's sick!"

Jennie shifted her eyes to follow their steps, "Guys--- I'm okay."

"Really? Let's go to clean it up."

That moment... Jaewon tossed back his head around and... smiled grimly... at Jennie.

He... how... could... he...

 

 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

 

 

On the very next day, Jaewon had called out for Jennie to give her something. 

"Here. A new outfit for you," He passed the paper bag towards the taller girl in front of him, "I asked my uncle to buy for it. And thenㅡ sorry."

"Uncle? The one who drives the car?" Jennie promptly declared, "You. I heard that you're rich. You ride an expensive car every day. You only wear expensive clothes. The kids are talking about it," She still had a poker face as she mentioned those. 

"But I already heard from the teachers about you. I pitied you. Your mum... is dead."

Jaewon's hand suddenly shook upon the statement.

"What's wrong with you? Shouldn't you be sad because your mum is gone?"

He stayed silent with his whole body shivered involuntarily. Jaewon... he... could never stand whenever someone scarcely brought it up. It's like they're digging into his most tremendous despair.

"I feel really terrible. They were right about it. I won't have luck if I look at you."

 

 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

 

 

Those voices couldn't stop disturbing him. Please... just please... leave him alone.

"Why? Are you sick again?" Hanbin had gently urged when he saw Jaewon closed both of his ears and eyes out of sudden, "Can you watch the movie? Should we just go home?"

Jaewon's eyes adequately met Jennie's in a middle of the conversation. He smiled, "No. I'm fine," He steadfastly insisted. 

"Really?" The boy asked and Jaewon jerked his head.

Jennie rolled her eyes, in hope that their outing would end as fast as it could. It's really annoying to typically have the boy around. Jennie... she never likes Jaewon from the start and probably, forever.

She hates him. For now and forever.

"Then let's go. We're going to be late," Hanbin had walked leisurely beside Jennie, leaving Jaewon behind, "Let's go, Jennie Kim. The tickets, please."

The girl had taken out a ticket from her pocket and conveyed it to Hanbin. While Jaewon at the back... look at the two of them with a pair of discerning eyes.

 

 

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

 

 

"Bin-ah," Jaewon called for his friend. They're currently hanging out at the river-side after they had done with their classes. Today, it's exceptionally two for them without Jennie in the count, "Yah, Hanbin."

"Why? I'm listening," Hanbin accurately stated with his eyes locked on his phone; playing the game he downloaded a few weeks ago. 

Jaewon tilted his head, "You're listening, right?"

"Yeah, what is it?" Hanbin tried to focus on his game.

"I like Jennie."

The direct statement came out from Jaewon's lips managed to make Hanbin lost his focus that he stopped playing his game instantly. He subtly shifted his attention to the boy beside him.

"But I won't confess to her," Jaewon undoubtedly continued, "It's way better to have the three of us together."

Hanbin awkwardly bobbed his head.

"It's a secret. Okay?" Jaewon flashed a beatific smile towards Hanbin.