A Step Forward

An Endless Journey of Love ~ Sesshomaru X Reader

  I was born the oldest of 2 to a middle class family in the Sengoku era in Japan, I have a younger sister who's 6 years younger than me. Not wealthy but not poor either, I guess we're consider lord and ladies at least. I always loved traveling. When I was younger, my parents made me learn music, the koto. It's a simple smooth wooden platform with about 13 strings connected from one side to another, it produces a harp like sound. I find it very beautiful and I was happy that my parents made me learn such beautiful subject, I eventually bought a small koto so that I can carry it with me wherever I go. As I got older, my hair grew longer as well until it was down to my lower back. Instead of putting it up like everyone else, I braid it and let it fall to one side. I'm in my early 20's, I'm a  courteous person, growing up in a stable family, it's kind of the "have to" for women to act more lady like at a time like this. Although courteous, I'm quite social and I suppose talkative, thank goodness for that, because if I was to speak only when I'm suppose to I would die of frustration. My parents don't mind though, I suppose my younger sister's more timid personality balances everything out. I've heard of demons that went on rampage for quite some time a few years back, I've heard of a half-demon named Inuyasha that vanquished another powerful half-demon, Naraku. After that battle the well known Sacred Jewel disappeared forever, and the land became more peaceful than before, 9 years has passed since then. Of course, there are still incidents of demon attacks but they never last long or to be heard of again twice. Ever since I've come to believe that there are kind demons out there, and maybe of hoping to meet one and befriend them if possible. On my 25th birthday we held a small banquet with everyone in the household. When night arrived, I'm sitting in my room alone playing my koto. Someone knocked on my door.

"Come in." I said.

Pausing the tune that flowed from the movements of my fingers.

"_________, happy birthday." My mother says coming in with a bundle.

"Hello Mother, thank you so much. I said turning around to face her as she kneels down in front of me.

"Here is your birthday present, I hope you like it." She said handing me the silk bundle.

"What is it?" I asked opening the bundle.

"Since you're not a young girl anymore, your father and I have decided that a change in outfit will display you blooming into a young woman." My mother says.

I open up the bundle and a pale blue silk kimono with flowers sewn onto the sleeves looks up at me with a white obi decorated with pale pink flowers laced in different areas. I gently run my fingers through the fabric, the softness of the fabric guides my finger smoothly.

"It's beautiful mother, thank you." I said.

"You're welcome __________, have you thought of marrying off to someone?" My mother suddenly asked.

My fingers stopped on white swirls laced pattern that looked like swaying hair on the kimono, I looked up at my mother and shook my head with a smile.

"No, marriage never crossed my mind. I was thinking of leaving and going to travel." I said looking at the flickering candle.

My mother looks at me surprised.

"Travel, you don't want to start family? You're at the age." She says.

"I think there's still time, I'm only 25 mother. Right now, I want to do what I love, I want to travel. I want to see the world, meet different people. I'll bring my koto with me and maybe play in villages, entertain people and show off my love for music. I can earn money and gain experiences, It's not so bad is it?" I said to my mother.

My mom stayed quiet and looked indecisive.

"I'm not a young girl anymore Mother, I want to step forward into the path that I've chosen, I don't want to stay here and wait for a lord to come carry me away on horseback, who knows if I'll ever find that someone here. Besides, you and father have Yorokobi to take care of, I'm sure she'll be a handful for you both." I said with a laugh.

"I suppose you're right________. She's growing up into a woman as well. I'll go talk to your father about this, I'll try to convince him. You sure this is what you want to do with your life?" She asked again.

"Yes, I want to go see the world. And thank you Mother for giving me this chance." I said hugging her.

"When are you leaving? And when will you come back?" She asks after letting go.

"I'm planning on leaving tomorrow, and I don't know when, but I promise I'll come back and visit once in a while." I said looking over to a small bundle on the corner of my room.

"Alright, rest early then. We'll see you tomorrow morning." My mother said hugging me again.

She got up and left. I look down at my new kimono and gently unfold it and held it up.

"It's beautiful, what a wonderful present, and it'll accompany me on my new journey." I said looking at the silk and beads reflecting the faint candle light.

I laid down onto my futon and closed my eyes, the serene night lured me into a deep slumber till the sun rises up again. I woke up with a great start as I stretched, I put on the new kimono that just barely touched the ground and tied it up with the obi finishing off with a nice bow in the back. I put on my silk socks and sandals, I took a pale blue ribbon, braided my hair to the side and tied it up. I don't have a lot of things to take with me, the most important thing is my koto. I wrapped it up with a large patterned cloth and hung it over my shoulder. My mother came into my room earlier after I washed up and told me that father said that I should be able to do what I think is right, that they'll be supporting me no matter what. I folded my blanket neatly and placed them in the corner, I look around my room one more time and let out a sigh.

"Guess I won't be back here for a while, hope it won't change the next time I come back." I said to myself.

I gave a small smile and walked to the front of our house. My parents were outside with Yorokobi, a few of our attendants were standing beside them waiting for me. A horse was prepared for me as well. I walked up to all of them and took in a deep breath.

"Well, I'm off, thank you father and mother for allowing me to go on my own journey." I said to them.

"As long as you're happy and sure as in what you want, we will always support you." My father says.

"Indeed, stay safe out there__________, a single woman going on a journey alone is dangerous, so look out for yourself alright." My mother says taking my hand.

"Don't worry mother, I'm not a little girl anymore, I won't let anyone take advantage of me or hurt me without a fight." I said with a confident smile.

My mother gave me a relaxed smile. I went up to my little sister who's slowly reaching my height. 

"Yorokobi, I'm leaving mother and father in your care, don't give them too much trouble alright? I'm happy to see you grown into a beautiful young girl. You take care of yourself alright?" I said to her.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of them, you stay safe out there, go and see the world so when you come back you can tell me everything. Also, you have to come back and attend my wedding in the future no matter what." Yorokobi says.

"I will." I promised.

We hugged each other, I then looked at all of the attendants.

"Thank you for all of your hard work. And I hope you will continue to serve in our household. I bid you goodbye for now, take care." I say to all of them.

All of our attendants bowed and waves goodbye to me. I mounted my horse with my koto on my back, I gave one last look to the place that I grew up in and the people that I grew up with. I turned towards the dirt road with luscious green grass lining the sides all the way into the distance, I gave the reins a crack and my horse paced forward. I held on tight as the wind glides pass me, carrying the stray strands of my hair into the air. The clear blue sky stretching as far as my eyes can see, the mountains lay out ahead of me as I ride towards it, finally setting on my long awaited journey towards my future that I so wished for.