003

Kyul’s Koyangie

Eunwoo
.
.
.
I all but stormed into the dorm.

“YAEBINNNN!!!”

The blonde emerged from her shadowy bedroom, looking terribly aggravated. I was most likely encroaching on her sleep. She’d been working herself to death writing and composing a rap to send to a senior she admired, and in hindsight, what I did was a move.

Of course, in the moment, I’d overlooked that.

“Nunu, what the .“

“I met someone today.”

She huffed, crossing her arms and leaning against the doorframe. “Dude, I’ve grown numb to your ramblings about pretty girls, alright? I’m tired, barely finished my project, lacking a muse, and—“

“I actually got her name this time.”

Her jaw dropped. She stomped over, grabbed my hand and yanked me down onto the sofa. “Spill. Now.”

So I did. I told her everything in detail, and she listened attentively.

“...woah.”

“I know!” I yelled, exasperated. “Now she’s all that’s on my mind and vocal evaluations are tomorrow!!”

“You also haven’t bought Ddiddi’s present yet.”

I slumped over the back of the couch and groaned. “Urrghh...You’re right...”

“So what’re you gonna do?”

I lifted my head, perplexed. “What do you mean?”

She rolled her eyes, “oh, I forgot that you’ve never advanced to this step before.”

“Shut up!”

“I meant, what’s your next course of action? Getting her number? Asking her out? What’s the game plan?”

I ruminated over her question, genuinely stumped on how to answer. She was right; I’d never gotten this far with any of my crushes, and I’d also never felt this whipped for any one of them, either. “I...don’t know...”

Yaebin snorted, “why am I not surprised...”

I puffed out my cheeks, “what, like I’m experienced?? My gay heart can only handle so much at once!!”

“Well, at least you’ve solidified your position as her ‘regular’.”

I slumped over into her lap. “Oh, my God, that’s all I’ll ever be, isn’t it? I’ll watch as her husband and three kids run the cafe while I raisin and order the same, plain order because it’s what she served to me when we first met.”

“Jesus, edgelord, could you relax maybe?”

“No! I don’t know what I’m doing!”

“That’s fine. Just don’t do nothing.”

I grumbled. “Did you check the chat at all today? The pictures I sent were from her cafe.”

She pursed her lips and fished in her pocket for her phone. “Damnnn, she made that? Looks good.”

“It was good.”

“Everyone’s jealous,” she said, scrutinizing her screen. “Did you tell them yet?”

“Does it look like I did?”

She flicked my forehead. “Don’t you think that you should?? You usually broadcast these types of things while they’re happening. In fact, I’m a bit shocked you didn’t do that in the first place.”

“But it’s Sungyeon and Yewon’s anniversary, wouldn’t I steal their thunder?”

She scoffed, “as if they’d care.”

She had a point, they really wouldn’t. Plus, it’d be a burden on my conscious if I put off telling the whole fam any longer. So, I acquiesced and texted them a thorough breakdown of my morning.

The response came quickly (no surprise there), but they all asked the same sort of questions:

‘Did you get her number?’ ‘When are you asking her out?’ ‘Can you take us there?’

As if I was readily capable of those things.

Eventually, Minkyung (I say Minkyung, but I also mean Kyungwon since they’re inseparable) messaged me privately.

Minky unnie <3: let’s chat?? :D

Yaebin had her chin on my shoulder, reading her text at the same time as me.

“What does that mean, is she gonna call—“

Three hard knocks at our door answered our question.

How they managed to get here in literally three seconds was beyond me, and quite frankly, I didn’t want to know.

As expected, both Kyung’s were at the door, with a smug Ddiddi sandwiched between them. Gotta admit, I was hoping our paths wouldn’t converge until after I purchased her present, but what could you do.

“Step aside, Nunu,” the blonde said, “we’re about to break down how to woo a girl.”

Yaebin laughed and I already felt a gloomy foreboding about all of this.

We sat down in the living room, and I preoccupied myself with playing with Siyeon’s hair as I waited for them to start their lecture.

Minkyung cleared . “So I understand that you just ran home after that?”

I nodded. “Yep. Channeled my inner Loona.”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re gonna get her number the next time you visit, no if, ands or buts about it.”

I sputtered out an incredulous laugh. “Huwhat???? I’m pretty sure I get I say in that.”

Minkyung shook her head serenely. “No, actually, you don’t. You’re going for the girl this time Nunu. No more slacking off.”

I was astonished. I mean, yeah, I didn’t like taking the initiative when it came to picking up girls (obviously) but could you blame me this time??? Kyulkyung’s beauty was out of this world, and ruining our server-customer dynamic by pushing boundaries too early might just make me want to jump into an active volcano.

...Plus, I didn’t have the guts.

“Unnie, you can’t just wait in limbo your whole life,” Siyeon chimed in, “you gotta make a move.”

Kyungwon smirked. “That is, unless you wanna watch as some dude walks in one day and sweeps her off her feet.”

My stomach twisted at the mere thought. “I don’t want that to happen at all.”

“It won’t happen. Y’know why? ‘Cause you’re gonna step in and sweep her off her feet first.”

“I feel like you already started that process unconsciously,” Minkyung laughed.

I hid my blush behind my hands, “ugh, you guys are just pumping rainbows up my . You don’t know my impact on her.”

“To be fair, neither do you. So could you stop being angsty and go for it??”

“It’s easier said than done!!”

“That’s why we’re telling you to just do it,” Siyeon said simply, angling her head to gaze straight up at me. “Rip off that bandaid. And if it doesn’t work out, hey, who wouldn’t want to be friends with someone like you?”

I smushed her cheeks together. “Someone like her. I think you’re underestimating just how beautiful she is.”

“Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to reach out to her with the ease of a few button-taps, then???” Kyungwon probed. “I mean, she’s right there, nothing and no one’s stopping you except you.”

I groaned, “but what if—“

“I said no if, and’s or but’s!”

Yaebin snickered. “Just do it, man, they’re not gonna let up until you, at the very least, compromise.”

I mulled it over. They were all right, the only thing stopping me was my own stupid cowardice. And the idea of being able to talk to her from wherever and whenever sounded just....blissful. It really wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot.

Siyeon gave me a puppy pout, and it sealed the deal. “....fine.”

Minkyung bounced up and down on the cushions. “You’re gonna get her number?????”

“Well, I don’t know if I will for sure, but I’ll try.”

“Yay!”

“But after evaluations,” I said, “I might flunk them if all I think about is her.”

Minkyung glanced up at our wall clock. “You should actually get going now. To the practice rooms, I mean.”

I raised a brow at her. “But it’s only three?? I’m scheduled for the room from five to eight.”

Kyungwon nodded her head at Siyeon. “Yes, but you owe this kid a present.”

My mouth fell open. That completely slipped my mind for a minute. “Oh! Okay! Ddi, let’s go pick out a gift?”

Her face lit up. “We’re going to the cafe????”

I laughed out loud, “? As if.”

Yaebin waved us off, “just don’t fall in love again, Nunu.”

I stuck my tongue out at her. “Whatever, you Juyeon fanatic. Have fun third-wheeling.” I shut the door behind us just as she spat out a litany of butthurt insults.

...

I ended up making a much easier decision with the birthday girl right at my side; a nice grey hoodie with matching sweatpants. She loved this apparel, and never let go of the bags.

“Yah, you can’t open that until your birthday,” I chuckled, and she clung to my side.

“I know! Thank you so much unnie! This was super expensive, I was honestly surprised.”

I playfully shoved her, “off my case, will ya? Besides, I owe it to you, it was a belated purchase.”

She blinked. “But my birthday isn’t until this weekend?”

I laughed, “yeah, but Nayoung wanted to gather all the gifts a month early for the surprise p—“ I stopped myself, slapping a hand onto my mouth. “.”

Siyeon wriggled her brows at me. “A surprise party?????? Wowwww, thanks for the info Nunu unnie, you’re the best spoiler fairy there is!!”

I shushed her, glancing back and forth like Nayoung could just materialize from thin air and murder me with her glare. “Please act surprised. Don’t out me, I don’t want to die.”

She chortled and it was terribly unnerving. “I woooon’t. I’m not a snitch! And the thought is nice. I’m happy you guys are taking my eighteenth so seriously.”

I crooned at her and ruffled her hair. “Of course we are. Now shut up, you’re not supposed to know about it.”

“Ah, that’s right, that’s right,” she digressed, linking our arms and dragging me to the entrance. “We gotta go now if we wanna catch our bus back to campus. Remind me again why you don’t have your licence like all the other unnies??”

I feigned offence. “Hey! Yewon can’t drive either!!”

“But she has a girlfriend who can.”

“....Fair point.”

She just laughed and led the way to the bus stop.

...

“Ddiddi, I’m supposed to be PRACTICING.”

The kid was hardly listening to me over the powerful bass from Peek a Boo, excitedly doing the dance and spinning about in the cramped area. Fed up, I muted the music. She was indignant. “Nunu! How DARE you stop the song at Wendy’s highnote! Are you even a Reveluv?”

“Don’t start! We’ve been here an hour and I haven’t gone over my song yet!! I knew I should’ve brought Yewonnie again!”

“Welp, she has her date with Sungyeon unnie, and you’re the one who trusted me with the aux chord.”

I clicked my tongue. “Just sit down and play the proper track.”

She grumbled. “Ugh, fine. This song is so boring, though.”

“Yes, but mentors like boring,” I battled back. “Plus, it’s beautiful and Ben sunbae’s voice is top notch!”

“Uhuh....” she said, unconvinced. “Can’t you at least sing Kingdom Come?”

I shook my head solemnly. “As much as I’d like to, a more modern, RnB song choice is a bit ambitious.” What I said was true; there were several accounts of people singing pop songs and saying that the mentors had a harsh opprobrium for the selection. I couldn’t risk my chances, here. They like ballads, so I chose a ballad.

“Uggg, okayyy...”

“Thanks, babe.”

She pursed her lips and hit play, the melancholic piano drifting through the speakers. Closing my eyes, I began to sing along.

“Is this ecstasy only felt by me?
The eyes on me feel heavy,
My footsteps linger, I still miss you,
I need your mind.

I remember, that cold day,
My heart kept trembling, I was afraid I’d cry,
Let me go like a dream that’ll go away when you open your eyes,
If not, stay by my side...”

I opened my eyes just a sliver, smiling at Siyeon’s entranced expression. I started to sway, singing with all my heart and soul like I always do.

It was nearing the end, where the high note was. It fell flat the last time I’d practiced it with Yewon, so I clenched my fists, determined to hit it.

“No good comes from crying,
But the deeply engraved traces make me sad,
Because maybe then you’ll come to me.

I remember, the day you looked so sad,
I was afraid you’d see my trembling shoulders,
Let me go like a dream that’ll go away when you open your eyes,
If not, stay by my side...”

I successfully executed it and when the song closed, Siyeon erupted into a fit of tears and praise.

“Unnie!! Why didn’t you tell me you could actually sing?!”

I smacked her upside the head. “Just rewind it, you doof. I need to make sure I have that note down.”

“Aye, aye!”

After ceaseless practice, I finally felt satisfied with my results. Siyeon did too, apparently, even going as far to take up the background vocals for me like Yewon had.

We grabbed our stuff and I wound an arm around her. “Thanks for joining me, Ddi.”

“No prob! I like hanging out with you!”

I adoringly pinched her cheek and I moved my arm to open the door.

And as soon as I fully stepped into the hall, someone crashed into me.

Of ing course...

“Unnie!!” Siyeon called from the room. “Are you okay?!”

“Oh, my God, I’m so sorry! I didn’t see you!!”

After my ears stopped ringing and my brain started to function again, I tried to figure out where I’d heard that voice before.

Then I looked up.

Holy .

Kyulkyung?!?!?!?”

Siyeon rattled her head back in forth. “Wait, she’s Kyulkyung?????”

The barista looked confused for a split second, then her eyes went wide upon giving me a proper once-over. “Holy—Eunwoo??!” She grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet, and I could physically feel my nerves start to spike up. A sheepish grin blossomed on her perfect features, and all the confidence the girls had stuffed into me earlier was drained from my system.

, what was I supposed to do again? Number? Something? Ask? I dunno. God, she’s so pretty, oh, my God, she’s in casual clothes, oh my fuuuuhuccking—

“What are you doing here???” She asked breathlessly. It was almost like she was just as flustered as I was. Almost.

“I-I go to school here?”

She shook her head. “No, I mean here. That song, you were singing it??”

My heartbeat began to quicken. She had heard me singing? What did she think of it? Did she get me confused with someone else? Was she also a student here? No, she couldn’t be. I’d definitely take notice of someone like her. “Y-yes, I was. I have vocal evaluations tomorrow and I chose that as my song. I’m a music major, actually a-and I want to be a professional singer.....?”

She looked at me in awe. “Wow! You’re amazing!”

I rubbed my neck. “Thanks...but what’re you doing here? You’re not a student, are you?”

She scoffed. “Why, do I look older?”

I panicked. “No! You look beautiful and young!!!”

Siyeon snorted and I scowled at her. I’d completely forgotten that she was even there. Her phone was in her hands, so no doubt she was giving the group a play-by-play.

Kyulkyung blinked, the slightest semblance of a blush dusting over her cheekbones. “Thank you. You’re beautiful, too.”

OHhhhhH, MY GODDD—

“Yes, I am a student here. I’m a dancer, so it’s not really shocking that we haven’t crossed paths thus far.”

I nodded. A dancer. Wow. That’s like. Wow. I’m so???? Gay????

She glanced at her watch, and I could tell our little conversation was coming to a close. So could Siyeon, as she kicked my shin to make me get a move on.

“Ky—“

“Ah, sheesh, I’m really running late, but come back to the cafe after your evaluations, alright?”

The words got clogged in my throat, and I just dumbly spun on my heel to stare at her as she walked passed. Siyeon looked disappointed in me, and to be honest, I was, too.

“Oh! Wait! That’s right!”

I gasped as she came running back full-throttle. “Wh-what?”

“Eunwoo, can I have your number???”

Siyeon straight up gasped, and if I wasn’t so shell-shocked by the request, I’d probably do the same. “Yes! Definitely! Of course!”

She grinned and handed me her phone, and I quickly inputted my digits, taking note at how she was (cutely) bouncing on the balls of her feet. I daringly saved myself as ‘Nunu’ before returning it. She pocketed her phone without looking at it, saying farewell one final time and smiling amicably at Siyeon before jogging off again.

I grabbed the wall to stabilize myself.

“Unnie....”

I glanced at Siyeon. “Yes, Ddi?”

“I approve.”

I sighed. “I think I approve, too.”

...

Minkyung and Kyungwon were still at our dorm when we returned, squealing over what had happened for what seemed like an eternity. They drove Siyeon home and Yaebin and I just sat on the couch and chatted about random things before calling it a night.

As I was getting ready for bed, my phone buzzed on my desk. I grabbed it, heart bursting out of my chest at the notification.

Unknown: just checking if i got the right girl. this you, eunwoo?

It was really happening. I was talking to Kyulkyung from wherever she was in Korea, and we’d only just met today! It was like a dream come true.

Me: yep! ^ ^ it’s me. this is kyulkyung, right?

Unknown: the one and only!

No kidding. I created a new contact for her, saving her as ‘Kyulkyung’ with a cat emote next to her name.

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): so do i refer to you as nunu?

I blushed, having forgotten I’d saved myself as that on her phone.

Me: aahhh, it was a reflex, all my closest friends call me that

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): guess i’m calling you nunu from now on then

I restrained myself from keysmashing. Was she always this...forward in friend making?

Maybe she doesn’t see you as a friend.

I internally smacked myself.

Me: sounds good!!

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): :) i’m happy i have a means of getting to know you without having to wait until your next visit at the cafe

Me: same! i’d be coming back every day!

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): aya, that’s a waste of money

Me: i think you’re more than worth it

I shut off my phone, face blazing red. I couldn’t stand myself, sometimes. Why do I always go for the riskiest of texts?

My screen lit up, and it was too late to look away.

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): so are you, i’d never want to end my shift

I dropped my device on my face. What was happening? Was this flirting? Were we flirting? Or does she always talk to first acquaintances like this????

Whatever. I didn’t know. All I knew was that I couldn’t handle it.

Me: hahaha thank goodness you asked me for my number then!

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): i agree! and ummm sorry to cut this short but i should really be getting to bed, i’m like exhausted

Oh, right, sleep. I needed that, too.

Me: oh of course! sorry to keep you up!

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): no it’s ok!!! i totally dont regret this!! i was just really eager to text you lol

Could she like. Not.

Me: same!!

Kyulkyung (=^ェ^=): goodnight nunu :) good luck on your evaluations!

Me: night kyulkyung, thank you!

I placed my phone on my nightstand and just dazedly stared at the ceiling. Then I grabbed my pillow and squealed into it.

How am I supposed to sleep now?

.

.

.

 

A/N: guess who’s back. The drama kinda starts next chapter so strap in.