A Daddy Like You

Extraordinary Mother

Along the beachside of Daegu the duo couldn’t get enough to admire the surroundings as Bogum drives while Wendy was in the front seat quietly staring and admiring the seaside, Bogum decided to break the silence this could also only be the way they could become closer.

 

“That’s the port we used to play along with your mom, dad and your auntie” Bogum smiled as he glance to Wendy.He notice that the child been staring in the Daegu’s port.

 

“Oh?” Wendy little bit startled as her uncle talking to her, Bogum always talked nice to Wendy, the little girl replied and glance at her uncle.

 

“We used to play paperboats, the first one who could make it to the finish line will have an ice cream popsicle” Bogum chuckled as he comfortably telling the story to Wendy.

 

“Did mommy won?” Wendy curiously asked as she leaned back to her chair and faced her uncle.

 

“No, your auntie Ivy won the funny thing is your mom asked your grandmother money to buy her sister a popsicle icecream but she ended up buying everyone an icecream she hated when one of her friends dont eat icecream in short she dont want her sister the only one eating it” Bogum laughed while focusing on his driving.Wendy giggled.

 

“Do lot of seagulls flying above the port?” Wendy asked and pointed the flocks of seagulls flying freely the ocean near the port.

 

“Ne, you see that little kids there, when we ‘re around that age, like your age we used to feed seagulls some fish crackers the owner of that fish boat love to see kids playing around the port, Harabeoji is nice”  Bogum smiled as he reminisced his childhood.

 

“Oh that is amazing” Wendy said as she stared to the bunch of children giggling and running around the port feeding the seagulls far away from them.As soon as they pass by the port, one catches Wendy’s attention.

 

“Woah! Blue bicycle!” Wendy jump off a little from her seat the moment she saw children riding bicycle near the sea bay.

 

“The weather is nice to ride a bicycle we can stop by wendy if you want to drive a blue bicycle” Bogum excitedly offered to the little girl.

 

“Really?!, but never mind” Wendy leaned back and frowned.

 

“Whats wrong?” Bogum stoped and faced Wendy as the red of traffic light showed.

 

“I dont know how to ride a bicycle, dad told me he will teach me but I think we ran out of time, he promise me but I think its impossible to happen since you know he and mom are not okay” Wendy sadly replied.

 

“Its okay samchon, We have to buy medicine first” Wendy added.

 

“Oh okay, but dont lose hope Wendy nothing is impossible” Bogum replied.He once thought that he need to do something for Wendy so the child cheer up a little bit before that they need to head first to the pharmacy inside the convenience store.

 

“And we are here” Bogum said and unbuckle his seatbelt.

 

“Does the pharmacy inside that convenience store samchon?” Wendy curiously asked.

 

“Oh yeah I think its a new trend now in Daegu so people wont have a hard time if they want to buy groceries and medicines at the sametime” Bogum smiled, the little girl nod in reply as they go inside the convenience store.

 

“Goodmorning sir” the staff greeted, The two greeted back.

 

“Wendy, while I buy the medicine here, you can pick whatever snack you wanted and put it in the basket then wait for me in the lane where the snacks located okay?” Bogum nicely said as he knelt down to be at Wendy’s level.

 

“Okay samchon” Wendy replied then she head to the lane where snacks are mostly located.

 

“Ahmm do you have medicine for indigestion?” Bogum asked the pharmacist in the counter.

 

“Oh yes sir, how old who will take sir?” the pharmacist added.

 

“She’s five years old” Bogum smiled.

 

“Ill just give her the syrup form, the directions already inside sir,thank you” the pharmacist nicely replied.

 

“Here you go, thank you too” Bogum smiled as he lend the money and supposed to head to the lane where some yogurt located are,expecting he could see Wendy there.

 

“Oh where are you Wendy?” Bogum said as he roamed around to look for Wendy.

 

“Woah unnie” a lady not that far away from Bogum standing exclaimed.

 

“What?” Another lady replied to her companion.

 

“Look at that handsome guy” the lady said.

 

“Where, oh right he is” her companion agreed.

 

“I wonder if he does a girlfriend, and why he looks so worried?” the lady replied.

 

“Ayst jinja we didnt go here to hunt some guys, come on we need to go to the snacks lane” her old companion said as they go along a little girl bumped them.

 

But before that lets see where little Wendy is...

 

“Hmm lets see a jelly ace for Yeri, chocolate bar for me, biscuit wafer for Seulgi unnie, lets see for Joy mmm her tummy is not feeling better” Wendy was talking to herself as she grab some snacks for her and her siblings then she put it on her basket.As she walked along the lane a familiar man caught her attention.

 

“Dad? Abeoji!!” Wendy run toward the man as soon he realises but she didnt expect what happened next.

 

“Appa! I know I could see you here I can feel it!” Wendy excitedly hugged the person, her biological dad.

 

“Who is that daddy?” Said by another little boy sitting on the push cart.

 

“Suho, I found the yogurt and who’s that?” a lady asked probably around age of 30.

 

“Ahhm no one I think she just mistaken hehe” Wendy’s father said as he forcedly removed Wendy’s hand from hugging him, Wendy cant believe on what is happening, the little girl breaks down and cry the soon   she saw her father and little family walk away from her.The little girl left behind standing and crying.

 

“What? How could appa do this?” Wendy cried out loud as the people staring at her looking like a lost child but the fact she’s not lost,her biological father ignored her, that would be one of the worst thing a father did to her child, her father broke her heart.Wendy run in the way out of the snack lane leaving her basket behind, the only word she utters is Appa while crying and then suddenly she bumped to a two ladies.

 

“Appa!! Huhu Appa! Offt” Wendy said and immediately sat down to the floor as she felt she bumped into someone.

 

“Oh my god! Iam so sorry sweetie” the lady immediately let Wendy stand.

 

“Omg she’s crying what to do?” her companion panic and said.

 

“Are you alright? Who’s with you little girl?” the lady nicely asked.

 

“Appa huhuhu Appa” Wendy said as she continue to cry and rub her eyes to stop her from crying but she cant help it.

 

“Mygosh maybe she’s lost dont worry Ill bring you to the pag—“ the lady suppose to continue but sudden guy grab the little girl and carried her into his arms.

 

“Wendy, myghad where have you been? You scared me to death! your mother will kill me! Why are you crying?” Bogum said as he hugged the little girl and taps her back to stop from crying.

 

“Appa!! Abeoji!” Wendy continuously cried and hugged back Bogum.

 

“Its okay Iam here already” Bogum added.As Bogum notice the ladies where her little girl bumped to he asked for apology.

 

“Oh Iam so sorry for our inconvenient, are you ladies are fine?” Bogum worriedly asked the other party.

 

“Oh yesyes we are fine we are worried to your child, we are sorry” the ladies said.

 

“Oh no its fine its an accident if it werent for you I couldnt find her, thank you” Bogum smiled.As Wendy slowly stops in crying as she hid her head to her uncle’s neck.

 

“Oh youre welcome” the ladies smiled back.

 

“Oh we are heading now, thank you again, keep safe” Bogum said as he wave goodbyes.

 

“You too” the ladies wave back.

 

“Woah,can you believe?! that guy had a daughter? How could he stayed handsome like that?” one lady amusingly said.

 

“Well, she surely don’t have a girlfriend, but he have a wife and a daughter” the other lady chuckled and said as she pushes her cart.

 

“I hope all guys could be like him” the lady sighed.

 

When Bogum and Wendy already out of the store they head to the parking lot as he place Wendy to the front seat, he decided to asked why is she crying.

 

“Wendy? Whats wrong?” Bogum worriedly asked, he knelt down letting the door front seat half open then as he held the little girl’s hand.

 

“Come on you can tell me, I will not tell your mom” Bogum said as Wendy hesitating to say it to her uncle.

 

“I saw dad in the convenience store” Wendy look down.Bogum stared at the little girl waiting for her to add something on what she said.

 

“He ignored me! Because he was with his stupid new family!” Wendy half shouted and cry again.

 

“Oh Wendy, come here” Bogum gave the little girl a tight hug, Bogum thought that Wendy dont deserve that kind of treatment, he felt pity to the little girl.

 

“Wendy, look at me its not your fault why he did ignored you and trust me he will regret for ignoring his child, it wont let it off to his mind to his nightmare, what kind of father is that?” Bogum said full of rage into his eyes if he see’s Suho that time he probably smack off his head luckily he didn’t.

 

“You think so samchon?” Wendy said this time facing her uncle.Bogum nod in reply with a sad smile to his face.

 

“Now cheer up, mommy Irene dont like her little girl crying, and hold tight we are going somewhere” Bogum said as he locked in Wendy’s seatbelt and went to the driver’s seat.

 

“Really? Where samchon?” Wendy asked.

 

“Its a surprise youll love it” Bogum smiled to his idea.Wendy giggled, Bogum felt relief that Wendy is smiling again.

 

Minutes had past they finally arrived...

 

“And here we are!” Bogum said as he parked the car.

 

“Woah! Daegu’s port?!” Wendy said as she excitedly buckle off her seatbelt.

 

“We will feed seagulls today” Bogum smiled as she carried Wendy out of the car.

 

“Really samchon!? Ive always dream to feed seagulls some fish crackers, how do you knew?” Wendy asked with excitement to her face.

 

“Well, you stared at the port a while ago looking like you wanted to go here and of course I wanna see harabeoji again” Bogum smiled.

 

“Oh here he is! Harabeoji!” Bogum with Wendy in his arms approach the old man.

 

“Bogum mah? Bogum!” the old man manly hugged back, he surely still have a great eyesight and memory to remember Bogum.

 

“Woah, you still recognize me, well I guess its my bad that Iam worrying that you wouldnt recognize me, Iam worrying for nothing” Bogum chuckled.

 

“Iam still kickin you know” the old man laughed as well as Bogum.

 

“Oh is she your little girl? Wahh I always knew you and Irene will end up together! She is so pretty Bogum just like her mother! Where is Irene?” the old man spontaneously asked.

 

“Oh easy harabeoji, she’s at the resort with the 3 other kids” Bogum smiled well he decided to play along so there would be no questions again, its hard to explain.

 

“Wahh so you guys have 4 children! I taught you so well” the old man laughed as well as Bogum.

 

“Anyway Harabeoji this is Wendy, Wendy this is Jun Wo Harabeoji whom the owner of the fish boat” Bogum politely said.

 

“Anneyeonghaseyo” Wendy cheerfully greeted.

 

“Aigoo what a nice girl, and with that here are some fish crackers so you could feed some seagulls” Jun Wo gave the cup of crackers to Wendy.

 

“Woah! Kamsahamnida! Harabeoji how many times do seagulls can eat?” Wendy innocently asked.

 

“They can eat anything and whenever they want” Jun Wo replied.

 

“Oh they wont get indigestion?” Wendy asked.Jun Wo smiled and shook is head in reply.

 

“Wah, Joy must be envy them” Wendy giggled comparing the seagull to her sister which she loves to eat anything but her sister can lead to indigestion.As Wendy pick one cracker as she reach her hand to the flying seagulls.

 

“Come on, I have some food” Wendy hopping around the port, as she continuously raise her hand with the fish cracker on it waiting for one seagull accepts her food.

 

“Be careful Wendy!” Bogum giggled, he is happy that Wendy having a good time.

 

“Oh Ill get both of you some water, Ill be back” Jun Who said as he headback to his truck.

 

“Oh thank you harabeoji” Bogum smiled.

 

“Wah! Samchon! Come join me! Ahh there are a lot of seagulls I cant accommodate all of them” Wendy giggled to the site of seagulls surround her.

 

“Wahh I guess all of them are hungry, let me help you” Bogum chuckled as he put some fish crackers on his hand then seagulls are heading into him.

 

“All done! They finished it up!” Wendy giggled showing the empty cup to her uncle.

 

“Hmm how come no one will accept my food?” Bogum teasingly pouting his lips.

 

“Dont worry samchon they’ll accept it you just have to raise your hand like this” Wendy giggled and demonstrated.

 

“Oh they did!” Bogum startled a little bit when one seagull accept his food.

 

“See , you just have to raise your hand” Wendy cutely giggled.

 

“Well cant believe a 7 year old beat me” Bogum chuckled giving Wendy a tap on her head, the child giggled.

 

“Bogum mah! Wendy yah! Come I have something for you” Jun Wo excitedly said.Then the two come forward.

 

“Give these to Irene and the kids” the grandfather cheerfully said.

 

“Oh harabeoji you dont have to” Bogum smiled and said.While Jun Wo handed a basket full of Daegu’s all time souvenirs.

 

“Its fine its my gift, its been a while the last time I saw you” Jun Wo said he treated Bogum like his own grandchild as well as Irene.

 

“Thank you Harabeoji” Bogum smiled.

 

“Thank you Harabeoji” Wendy hugged the old man.

 

“Offt Awee youre welcome” Jun Wo said and hugged back the child.

 

“Harabeoji I think we’ll go ahead now” Bogum said.

 

“But we promise the next time Ill bring Irene and the other kids” Bogum smiled.

 

“Alright you promise that” Jun Wo chuckled as well as the two.

 

“Keep safe Harabeoji!” Wendy and Bogum wave their goodbye.

 

“Keep safe!” Jun Wo wave back.

 

 

“Samchon? Where are we going? We are not taking your car?” Wendy curiously asked when she noticed they already pass by where their car parked is.

 

“We will have one last place to go before we leave” Bogum smiled as she hold little Wendy’s hand walking to the sidewalk as you can hear the beach waves with the sun is soon setting.

 

“Wah! Samchon where?” Wendy hopping a little of excitement.

 

“And here we are” Bogum said.They stop to the park where you can rent bicycles to ride on.

 

“Wah! That blue bike!” Wendy pointed to the bike the only one that is lock on its place, seems no one rent on it yet.

 

“Ahm can we rent that blue bicycle over there?” Bogum asked the attending woman behind the stall which have a banner says“We are renting bicycles”.

 

“Oh great timing sir its the only one” the lady smiled as soon as she head to where the bike is and unlocked it.

 

“Here you go” the lady smiled.

 

“Thank you” Bogum smiled back, as the little girl behind him couldn’t contain the happiness she is feeling right now.

 

“But I dont know how to ride samchon” Wendy sadly said as she realises she dont know how to bike.

 

“Thats why we are here, I will teach you” Bogum proudly smiled.

 

“Really?” Wendy widely smiled.

 

“Of course now hop on Ill teach you” Bogum replied, and then Wendy ride on the bike while Bogum was holding the bike first going to the more big space.

 

“Samchon Iam scared dont let go” Wendy worriedly said.

 

“Dont worry Ill hold you first” Bogum chuckled.

 

“Okay lets do it step by step you listen to me and trust me okay?” Bogum said, Wendy gave him very cute nod.

 

“Okay, first you have to step your left foot to the pedal and then the right foot” Bogum instructed.

 

“Youre doing good!” Bogum let a small laugh while he is still holding the bike, following where would Wendy leads to.While the little girl was so focus.

 

“Okay then you have to look straight while you are pedalling, so you could focus to your balance” Bogum said.Wendy said so and amazing she got it so fast.

 

“Okay youre doing good! Youre a fast learner!” Bogum said as he let go of the bike then letting Wendy drive on her own.

 

“Slowly Wendy!” Bogum halfly shouted as the child was getting farther from him but Bogum eventually follow the child.

 

“Am I doing good samchon?” Wendy proudly smiled.

 

“Youre a fast learner! I didnt expect that” Bogum chuckled.

 

“Next one you have to stop, start pressing the one you can see in the handle by your both hands to the both breaks” Bogum added.

 

“Like this one!” Wendy shouted so her uncle can hear her from the back.

 

“Very good!” Bogum said giving Wendy thumbs up.

 

“Now, can you go back here?” Bogum said from a far.

 

“Okay!” Wendy cheerfully said, as she begin to paddle back.

 

“Samchon! The road is so uphill its hard to paddle! Haha” Wendy said as she pause and then laugh.

 

“You can do it! Why are you laughing? Stop laughing” Bogum laughed as well.

 

“Ookay” Wendy said as she hold her laugh, she was just happy that finally she learn how to ride a bike.

 

“Should I help you? Its getting darker” Bogum chuckled.Wendy nod and giggled.

 

“Okay!” Bogum approached her and push her bike going to the more flat road.

 

“Samchon! Thank you so much!” Wendy tightly hugged Bogum.

 

“Awe your welcome sweetie” Bogum hugged back little Wendy.

 

“Oh dont tell your sisters about the things we did today they might feel jealous, but next time I promise we will go back here with them” Bogum smiled.

 

“Okay” Wendy giggled.

 

“You wanna go for one ride before we go? Ill drive” Bogum chuckled as he sit on the bicycle.Wendy smiled and nod in reply.

 

“Okay, now go sit here on the spare seat in front” Bogum instructed.

 

“All set?” Bogum asked as Wendy been settled on the passenger seat of the bicycle.

 

As Bogum start driving the bicycle, they are having a good time driving around the park near the bay, there are a lot of children playing, couples sitting near the bay to witness the sunset, families and friends having some picnic and there are also people who are biking like them.Then after how many minutes of biking and admiring the surroundings Bogum decided to call it a day today as Irene and the kids was waiting at the hotel for them to come back.Then they returned the blue bicycle to the owner, as the little child keep on telling Bogum that someday she’ll have a blue bicycle then they head to where they parked their car.

 

“Did you have fun?” Bogum asked and smiled as he seated at the driver’s seat as well as Wendy in the front seat.

 

“Yes! Samchon! I didnt know I can pull off that riding a bike and feeding the seagulls in one afternoon!” Wendy happily said.

 

“You did!” Bogum chuckled.

 

“Lets go home I know you’re tired already” Bogum smiled as he start his engine. He was glad Wendy love it, he just want to make Wendy happy, not to like him but I think its a bonus too.

 

As soon as they arrived at the hotel, the little child already fall asleep, Bogum decided not to wake her up he then unbuckle her seatbelt and carried her by his arms and holding the basket that the grandfather gave them a while ago by his other free hand as he locked the car and head to the hotel lobby as soon they are walking little Wendy speak as she is half asleep on her uncle’s arm.

 

“Samchon?” Wendy asked as she still lying her head on her uncle’s shoulder.

 

“Oh?” Bogum replied.

 

“Thank you for being my dad for a day” Wendy suddenly said.Bogum dont know what to respond he was startled by what Wendy said to him, its really heart harm warming, it was just yesterday that Wendy hated him to the thought that he will take away her mother but now Wendy being thankful that she felt like she had a dad even for a day.Its best words that he heard from a child, especially to the child he also treated as his daughter.

 

“I can and will always be your dad Wendy, as long as I live and in grave” Bogum smiled and kissed the child’s forehead, Wendy tightly surrounds her cute arms in her uncle’s neck as she hugged him in respond and fall back into sleep.

 

“We are here” Bogum said in a soft voice so Wendy will not be wake up.

 

“What took you gu—“ Irene supposed to continue but the sight in front of her made her startled, Wendy was sleeping on his uncle’s arms? What on earth happen? Deep inside Irene couldn’t get enough to smile.

 

“Shh she is sleeping, Ill tuck her in bed first then we will talk” Bogum smiled then gave the medicine they bought as he head upstairs.

 

“See I told you it will worked” Joy whispered to Seulgi letting a proud smile.

 

“Iam glad I just looked for Yeri in one whole afternoon” Seulgi giggled as well as Joy giving her sister a high five.

 

“Joy? Here is your medicine come and take it!” Irene said.

 

“Mom! Iam fine now!” Joy run upstairs.

 

“What? Suddenly?” Irene curiously asked 

 

“Whats with her?” Irene asked her eldest then Seulgi just shrugged her shoulders and giggled.