of familiarity and habits

Between Truths
SIX
of familiarity and habits

THERE was something about routines that was comforting for Jungkook. The familiarity was a haven.

It was Friday: the end of a long, exhausting week. Training had just ended and Jungkook knew it was nine even without looking at a clock. What he had not expected though was the sweet promise of 'no practice for the weekend'. A first since the semester started six weeks ago.

Jungkook heard the other boys excitedly making plans for the evening as they rushed for the showers. Jungkook knew that they had more than deserved the break. But the running was what Jungkook needed. With the chaos settling, he found that he was at loss. It was why he had sent Yein that message.

'Are you free?'

The message was an oddity. Once, they had been comfortable enough for him to see her anytime he wanted. He would know her schedule like they were his. He would know who her friends were and where they liked to hang out. Now, he did not seem to know anything about her. It was a little wistful that after all those years, they had gotten here.

Jungkook stared at his reflection in the mirror intently. He barely minded the ruckus of rough guffaws and callous jokes from the other boys as they washed.

"You're not showering?" A guy asked casually. Jungkook recognised him as Jaehyun. His hair was wet; his scent fresh and his mood refreshed.

"Later," Jungkook said.

"Later..." Jaehyun trailed thoughtfully, then asked, "You're not joining us for drinks later?"

Jungkook glanced at his phone on the countertop. It remained decidedly black. No incoming message. Jungkook doubted that she was going to reply soon. Yet, he could not convince himself that she would reject him, "No; I've already got plans," Jungkook said.

Jaehyun nodded, "Join us after. Knowing the boys, we'll be there till morning."

Jungkook nodded in reply.

"Cool," Jaehyun said.

Jungkook knew that the boys were finishing with their showers when the frequency of pattering water against the tiles had gotten more distant and their chatters became more exuberant. He then quickly grabbed his towel and went to the nearest toilet stall to avoid similar questions. The water was icy cold on his body. Jungkook involuntarily shivered even when the temperature set had been intentional.

Finally, when the only sound he heard was from the slow drip of a tap clumsily turned off and the soft humming of the overhead lights, he finished his shower.

He made his way to an empty bench and his bag sat with a thump beside him. He rummaged for a clean shirt, then slipped it on and the white shirt soon stained with blotchy droplets from his wet hair. It did not bother him as much as his silent phone did.

Jungkook draped the wet hand towel around his neck and glanced at the lighted screen. There was a reply. From Yein.

He picked it up to open the message.

'Sorry...I have other plans.' It read.

Immediately after, another message came, 'Let's go out some other time?'

Then, 'Try not to have too much fun without me.'

He did not know why he felt a little disappointed. Especially since he had expected her answer.

Jungkook thought of Jaehyun's offer. He did know the boy well enough but most of the others were uncomfortable acquaintances. The thought of crashing the party midway did not appeal to him. Besides, he knew his current awful mood made ill company for social pleasantries, and newfound friends.

So, he made way to his usual hideout like he always had after every practice session for weeks, now. He was predictable like that. 

Like the girl there was. She had always been there since that first time he found the place, unfailingly, back against him on that exact bench nearest to the stairs. So, the sight of her should not have surprised him. Nonetheless, it had, and Jungkook had paused.

And that, he had never done. Normally, his gait was purposeful. He would not stop until he was settled on his usual spot three tables down from hers.

Jungkook saw her pen stilled; saw her shoulder tensed. He wondered if his presence had always brought forth such reactions from her. Jungkook kept his gaze locked on her person even as he started walking. His footsteps, light and quick, echoed in the void and as though he had hit a 'play' button, he saw her relaxing and she resumed her fastidious scrawling on a paper.

It was easy to sense her relief. It was just as easy to believe that she recognized him just from the sound of his walk. Inexplicably, he had wanted to watch her a moment longer. And so, he went to break another of his habits. He sat to face her when all this while he deliberately sat with his back on her.

If the cold shower he had taken earlier could not shock his body into consciousness, the sight of the girl alone would have jabbed enough modafinil in his system to shift everything into focus.

Jungkook was alarmed. He recognised the girl and apprehensively waited for the repeated stuttering of his heart at the sight of her. But there was nothing and he smiled in relief.

She was simply like nothing he had ever seen before. Alas, as that novelty wore off, there was nothing else there to be in awe with. Jungkook decided that he could take small gratitude that day in knowing that he was not the type to easily fall for some pretty girl without knowing about her.

Jungkook picked up his revision where he had last left them, heart lifted. 

 
                    
 
A/N
Thank you for dropping by. Thank you for the subscribe, comments and votes especially. Love y'alls and stay safe always. ^.^