a confession and a deal

Between Truths
11
a confession and a deal

"So, did you catch her?" Mingyu asked, downing the liquor down in one shot. It seemed poignant that he ended up sitting next to the guy, both their dark mood overcast the air; soured the ongoing celebration.

"No," Jungkook told him.

"So, what are you going to do with that?" He asked again when he saw Jungkook still holding onto the bag.

Jungkook shrugged at the question, "I'll figure it out. Later," he said and poured himself a drink.

"Why don't you just give it back to that server girl? Looks like she needed it," Mingyu said.

"I'll buy her one just like it," Jungkook said, sharp; too many things were making him angry, even the words Mingyu were saying.

"I didn't know you know her like that," Mingyu observed.

"It's nothing like that. No one deserved to be looked down like that. If she really needs it, I can just get one for her, I'd do that for anyone," Jungkook did not know why he denied knowing her. Maybe he was just doing Yein a favour since she had been trying so hard to avoid admitting their friendship.

"There's no need," Mingyu waived his intention away with a wave of a hand, "Yugyeom paid for the damage and made them give her the rest of the night off."

"Yugyeom? Why? He doesn't know her."

"You don't either. Sounds ridiculous now that you hear it right? Piece of advice? Don't be overly nice to girls. They are never sincere; always have something they want from you, especially from someone like Yugyeom. The nicest ones hide the most," he scoffed into his glass, words as bitter as the drinks he was inhaling.

The words brushed a little too close to the truth Yein might be keeping but it was unfair that Mingyu was painting in broad when he did not see the whole picture, "You don't know her to make that kind of assumptions about her," Jungkook defended Yein.

"I know that she is the kind of girl that lets Yugyeom, a kind stranger she didn't know, send her home," When Jungkook did not say anything in reply, Mingyu smiled, victorious, sure that he had sent his point across.

Dismay settled and the feelings grew in intensity the longer he let Mingyu's words replay in his head. Yein...Yugyeom.

If it had not been for Kim Dahyun...

"Do you know her?" Jungkook asked; the curiosity doused by the insults was back flaring.

"Eunbi? Or whatever she goes by now," Mingyu said, words quiet with venom that someone not privy to his confessions, like Jungkook was, could not know how dangerous his feelings ran.

"Dahyun," Jungkook said, conscious to avoid a hornet nest. But he was fumbling in the dark.

"Since high school," Mingyu told Jungkook, "She was everywhere doing everything. We were from different schools, but I've seen her more than I've seen some of my own schoolmates. She was in a debate team, the red cross, archery team, more. Everything is a competition to her, and she wants every prize there is. She's even on scholarship. She wants it, she gets it," Mingyu scoffed then, "I hear her name more than I heard mine. Everyone knows her and everyone I know liked her at one point."

"I hate her," Jungkook said and Mingyu turned suddenly to study the man next to him.

Mingyu pursed his lips in thought, "How do you know her?" He asked.

"I don't. Just her name," Jungkook said.

"Then, why?" Mingyu asked, full of measure.

"No one can be that perfect," Jungkook told him.

"No," Mingyu agreed, his shoulders eased at Jungkook's sincerity. It felt reassuring to have someone feel the same inexplicable irrational emotion, "And no one is so good at pretending to be that like she does but when it comes to her suddenly everyone seems to be a half-wit."

"Except you're not like them," Jungkook said, thoughtful.

"As you are," Mingyu said, a subtle affirmation. Then, "And you'd peg her down from her high horse?"

"I would," Jungkook said.

The confession settled, heavy, between them. Jungkook ignored the whisper of conscience; the drinks made it easier to focus on his anger and little else.

He should have known that words were not meant to be thrown around lightly, even when uttered barely sober.

"I said I'm gonna pay you. You're not even gonna think about it before saying no?" Mingyu said, appealing.

"I don't need the money," Jungkook sidestepped the man and continued walking. He heard the leaves crunched under the man's feet as he jogged to catch him. There could be too much of a good thing since the blooming trees were already losing some of their leaves. Spring had ended but it was not quite summer.

"Aww. Come on, Jungkook. There's nothing bad to feel about. Not when it comes to Kim Dahyun. Can't you see that she has too many good things going for her? A little pebble on her still water won't hurt. I just want her to learn a lesson, that karma exists, and she should always be careful of her actions. I'm sure you get something out of this too other than the good money I'm offering. What say you?"

Jungkook stopped and turned to face the annoying buzz that refused to go away, a friend, proud and excited by his own plan.

"What do you get?" Jungkook asked.

"None of your business."

"Don't give me that, Mingyu. If I were to do this for you, I should at least know that much."

The smile that Mingyu gave him was blinding, full of triumph, grating, "Now, we're talking."

Jungkook understood his misstep. He should not have sounded like he was already bought before he got his side of the stick for negotiation. He said, gruff, "Suit yourself, I need to get to class."

"We got a deal, Jeon Jungkook!" Mingyu shouted after him. 

 
                    
 
A/N
Thank you for showing me love and patience. Stay safe and lovely until the next time. Enjoy ^.^