Chapter Four| Lalisa Manoban

The Blood Oracle

Chapter Four

Rosé woke to the sound of a voice speaking at a low whisper. 

"The healers said it was exhaustion." There was a pause, and the owner of the voice seemed to be waiting for a response. 

"That's weird though because she didn't participate in any games yesterday." But the voice began speaking again and Rosé recognized the voice as her friend. 

"She does look pretty thin, and even I can feel how faint her energy is right now." She was speaking to someone on the phone, and Rosé prayed it wasn't her mother. 

Rosé lets out a small weak groan. was dry and she couldn't feel her toes. She opened her eyes just enough to see her friend's worried face staring back at her. She was in what looked like a healer's office. If Jennie was still here it meant they didn't send her back home, so that was a plus. Rosé tried to tell her nearly crying friend that she was feeling alright and very thirsty. Jennie sniffed back her worries and helped Rosé sit up in the healer's office bed. After quenching her thirst, Rosé was still feeling dizzy and faint. She frowned and tried to keep her eyes open, but the lights in the room were bright and making her eyelids droop even lower. 

"What happened?" Rosé managed to ask after Jennie had returned from dimming the lights. "Do they know?" 

"Know that you're Rosé and not Lisa? No, thankfully. Teacher Jeong actually covered for you." Jennie paused, her eyes mimicking a shocked expression which she clearly expected from Rosé, but Rosé wasn't too surprised. Her relationship with Teacher Jeong was complicated. The teacher had actually helped cover for her many times before that she never mentioned to anyone at the academy. "And! The Prince was here! He asked the healers to take good care of you and for the headmaster and teachers to not be so hard on you. Isn't he sweet?" 

"Oh." Rosé blinked and pressed her hand to her stomach, flinching slightly at her own touch. "That is nice of him. I guess." 

"They stopped the entire game event for half an hour because of you!" 

"Gee Jen, thanks for making me feel better." Rosé groaned. Her stomach was feeling strange, and her chest felt like she'd chugged a gallon of ice cold water. 

"But it was glorious! The Prince ran to you like no other day! Though of course, the other prince had already caught you in your fall thankfully-" 

"The other prince?" Rosé blinked and looked at her friend. "What other prince?" 

"Oh right! Prince Mino, the second prince of the Royal Family was the one who caught you when you fell." 


Rosé frowned and thought back to the figure she'd seen at the door before her fall. "Hmm. I didn't know another Royal Family member would be here." 

"Nobody knew. He came late. And he's very nice. But Prince Seungyoon though, Rosé you should have seen the way he stood up and glided over to you on the ground-" 

Her friend continued on about the Princes, but Rosé was only half listening. Rosé crossed her legs on the bed and brought the blanket closer around her body. She had been around enough important people to last a lifetime. Apparently even her body couldn't handle it. Luckily she was at the convention with the best healers in all of Obsidian, so it wasn't soon after she fainted that they helped heal her up. Prince Seungyoon had even had his personal royal healer check up on Rosé, which Jennie was swooned about. They all had come to the conclusion that Rosé had fainted from exaustion. Rosé had to think back over her day and try to pinpoint when she would have exhausted herself. The only time she was doing much physical activity was when she was running with the Prince away from his followers, but that only lasted a few minutes. For her energy to be completely depleted to the point of fainting seemed a bit confusing. 

After Jennie was finished catching Rosé up with all the events that had happened while she was out, Rosé felt even more exhausted. There was a light knock on the healing room door and it slid open a few seconds later. Prince Seungyoon and all four of his guards marched into the room. Jennie stood up and helped Rosé try to make an effort to stand up but the Prince stopped them. 

"Please, you are in no shape to be getting up. Greetings be damned." Prince Seungyoon said with a gentle smile but worried expression. "How do you feel?" 

Jennie lay the blanket back over Rosé and excused herself, giving Rosé a look before leaving the room. "I feel okay. Just a little faint." Rosé tried to smile back at the Prince. "Jennie said you had your healer help look after me. I don't know how to repay your kindness Prince Seungyoon." 


"Of course, it was mainly my fault you fainted. I should not have dragged you around with me yesterday. I didn't know you had a condition. Will you forgive me?" 

Rosé shook her head but felt a stinging ring in her ear and winced. "It's really not your fault. Please, I'm completely okay. Your healer did amazing I don't feel anything." Rosé pressed her lips into a small reassuring smile. 

The Prince returned her smile, dashing as ever in his royal uniform. He made a little more small talk, but eventually stood up and excused himself so she could get some rest. Rosé definitely needed the rest, and nearly as soon as the Prince left, she dozed off again. 

When she awoke again, Jennie was at her bedside, sipping on a packet of medicinal herb drink and flipping through a book. Rosé sat up slowly, feeling much better than she had all day. She her lips dryly and drank down another two glasses of water. "I didn't know you read for fun." She said finally, after quenching her thirst. 

"I don't." Jennie grinned and held up the book she was reading. "Modern History of the Royal Family. Even the grandchildren are in this one." 

"You are seriously obsessed." Rosé groaned, sweeping the blanket aside as she stood up to stretch. 

"Who's not? There are so many rumors and speculations around the Royal Family Rose, it's crazy! Listen to this. It has been speculated that Prince Mino and Prince Seungyoon have quite a hefty amount of sibling rivalry. Since the two Princes are born around the same age, both are in order to receiving the title of crown prince. Although Prince Mino doesn't speak of politics as much as Prince Seungyoon, he has made his position clear throughout his journey through Obsidian; where he has made political choices and arrangements to best suit his interests. These interesets, seeming to differ from Prince Seungyoon entirely at times." Jennie read nearly three whole pages before Rosé stopped her. 

"Jen, please." Rosé laughed, looking at the face of her friend. "It's interesting. But what about today's event? The game we're mandated to participate in?" 

"Foretelling the results of the competitions. Yes!" Jennie stood up, tossing her book aside. "That is the last game of this whole event, and we're meant to be there by five in the evening. What time is it?" The girl glanced at her watch and nearly jumped out of her shoes. The competition began in ten minutes. With minimal effort, Rosé slipped into her Amethysia school uniform, patted her hair down, and began for the auditorium with Jennie. 

The crowd seemed even more immense and rowdy than the day before. Perhaps it was because Rosé was more tired, or because people recognized her as the girl who fainted yesterday. For the most part, people just stared and went back on with their own business. Rosé tried not to be overwhelmed by so many stares, but the situation was a little helpless. When the time finally came for their group to take part in the game, Rosé followed Jennie down to the stage.  

Once all the competitors were seated, they were given the papers and pen to fill in their answers. There were five competitions being held: healing of an injured bird, channeling of ancestorial spirits, proper uses of crystals and gemstones, accuracy of reading omens and symbols, and fortelling the results of the competition. There were a total of five hundred students at the venue, with around 90 to 110 students entering each competition. Some students entered twice or three times. So the results of the competition were completely nearly impossible to guess with just logic. That's where the students' gift of sight or clairvoyance would come in handy, that is, if said student had any gifts of sight. 

Rosé merely sat in her seat and swallowed hard. She looked down at the paper where she was to write out who she saw winning in each category, but they were all still blank. The first round had already started, and the competitors around her had most likely already guessed the winner of the first competition. Rosé glanced to her sides, then to her papers again, then up slightly at the audience. She looked around the arena, where at least four hundred eyes stared back at her. She was beginning to feel sweat at the back of her neck, and she cleared quietly. The entire place was quiet and focused, she was even unable to catch eyes with Jennie, who seemed to be more focused on the Princess sitting a few yards away.

Picking up the pen, Rosé twirled it in her hand, trying to will any magical thoughts into her mind. Alas, the timer for the last section of the competition chimed, and Rosé still had a blank piece of paper. She was chewing nervously on her bottom lip now. If she entered a blank sheet of paper, the teachers would be suspicious of Lisa. If she entered all incorrect answers, what if she was expelled? There were five hundred students here, there was absolutely no way she could guess the right winners of each competition. She squeezed her eyes shut and bit her lip hard, please, good universe, angels and all that is good, please just give me one right answer

Healing of an injured bird. Winner: Han Iljeong. 
Channeling of ancestorial spirits. Winner: Kim Hana. 
Proper uses of crystals and gemstones. Winner: Princess Jisoo. 
Accuracy of reading omens and symbols. Winner: Lee Jaejoon. 
Fortelling the results of the competition. Winner: Ros-


As if these thoughts had randomly popped up in her head, Rosé's hand seemed to be moving on its own accord. She blinked in surprise and realized that she had filled in all of answers within a few seconds. Just as she lifted her pen to fill in the last letter that seemed to be coming naturally to her, the final bell rang, bringing the competition to an end. All the papers were taken immediately from the competitor's tables and collected to be assessed. 

Rosé heaved a deep sigh, closing her eyes for a second as she leaned against the desk before her for comfort. She was feeling faint again, but she was mostly just glad she had finished. A hand linked itself around her arm and Jennie's concerned voice spoke softly for once, as she helped Rosé stand and leave the stage. 

"Rosie, are you alright?" Her friend was still staring at her, her perfectly manicured brows creasing into a deep frown. "Your lip is bleeding." 

She had tried to concentrate so deeply that she'd bitten her lip too hard. With a low grunt, Rosé her lips, trying to wipe away any dried blood. 


Rosé returned to the Healer's office for another short checkup, and Jennie had brought their dinner in as well, so the two wouldn't have to join the crowd. The results of the competition was to be announced on the third and final day. Jennie was chipper as ever, going off about her results and comparing her answers to Rosé's. The two seemed to have a few similar answers, but Rosé really couldn't remember any of the answers she had written down. It was as if Rosé's bodily reflexes and her anxiety made her jolt down random names of people. The only name she could remember was Princess Jisoo, in which Jennie had also written her down as one of the winners. 

The Prince's Healer returned to the office after Rosé and Jennie had finished their dinner. The old Healer reeked of medicine and herbs, his skin almost resembled that of a tree's bark. He was old with age and obviously with wisdom, as he lifted his wrinkling hand over Rosé's solar plexus, just above her belly button. He mumbled a few words to himself, as if casting an incantation or spell, probably trying to make her energy body work again. And it seemed to be working, as Rosé suddenly felt lighter. Her stomach which had been hurting since she woke up was now calm, and she almost wished she hadn't given up half her dinner to Jennie when she couldn't finish it earlier. Her best friend of course, was still letting her thoughts and mouth run as she continued to try to get any ounce of information out of the Prince's personal Healer. 

"Do you see Princess Jisoo as well? Do you ever attend to her injuries?" Jennie's lips were moving faster than the poor old man could reply, "Does she get hurt often? Do the Princes' usually have pretty good stamina?" 

To which the Healer only laughed, lifting his heavy creased eyelids up to give Jennie a polite nod. "Princess Jisoo has her own Healer, as I am only of Prince Seungyoon's staff." The old man finished his work on Rosé and lifted the thin office blanket over her again, turning his attention to Rosé. "Only drink bone marrow soup tomorrow with a side of steamed vegetables. No sweets, no salts, no carbs. And you shall be all healed up by the next morning." 

"Thank you, Healer." Rosé smiled and pressed her palm over chest, bowing her head slightly as a sign of appreciation. 

"Take care of yourself now, Rosie." The Healer gathered his things and nodded at the both of them before retracting out of the room, closing the door quietly behind him. 


Morning came sooner than Rosé's body wanted it to, as she groaned at the sunlight now streaming into the room. She stretched her arms and legs, yawning loudly, then blinking a few times, conscious that she no longer felt any pain or drain on her body. She lifted the sheets off herself and swung her legs off the bed, sitting up to find Jennie had camped out on the couch next to her office bed. For a few seconds, she took the time to appreciate her silly friend. If not for Jennie, Rosé would probably have been in big trouble already. Not to mention how boring this place would be without the girl's wide sheepish smile and curious eyes. 

Her moment of appreciation ended abrubtly with a loud snore escaping the girl's open mouth. She seemed to have woken herself up with the sound, and soon enough, Jennie was also rubbing her eyes, trying to shield them from the sunlight. Rosé hopped off the bed and jumped onto the couch, squeezing the girl between the couch and her own body as she tapped Jennie's cheeks. "Morning, sleeping beauty. Off we go!" 

After much groaning and and complaining about how early the results were tallied, the two girls finally made their way out to the auditorium again. Breakfast was to be held after the results were given, which made both Jennie and Rosé grumble even more. As they entered the auditorium to find their seats, Rosé couldn't help but notice the seemingly hectic movements of the judges and teachers before them. A few of them were scratching their heads and squinting with confusion. Even Prince Seungyoon was up and about, looking through the papers on the desk with a puzzled expression. 

It was then that Rosé finally caught glimpse of the other Prince. With only a single guard trailing behind him, Prince Mino made his way up to the front stage of the arena. The small but sparkling crown atop his head was not easily missed, and like Prince Seungyoon, he wore all black. His outfit was much simpler than Prince Seungyoon's, without all the layers and golden chains. Prince Mino's attire was plain, and even his cape seemed to be of a more cotton material compared to his brother's velvet. Side by side, these two royal brothers looked dashing. Both of tall and well built but slim nature, with deep and strong features that made them look obviously well nourished. They looked like they were raised in a palace. 

Rosé couldn't take her eyes off the pair, and they were speaking to each other in inaudible voices over the crowd of five hundred that filled out the entire arena now. Headmaster Kim's mouth that was just a little too close to his microphone came booming through the intercom system and everyone ended their chatter. "Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, students of the highest honors. I hope your sleep has all been pleasant, yes? We are going to make this winners ceremony as painless and quick as possible." The audience did a small clap and cheer, although Jennie gave Rosé a quick glum look. They both knew Headmaster Kim was never one to make things quick or painless. After what seemed like at least a twenty minute lecture, Headmaster Kim finally walked over to the side of the stage. "We are extremely lucky this year, to have the pleasure of three royal family members with us during this competition. A round of applause for Prince Seungyoon." 

The Prince stood from his seat and took the steps forward to take the microphone that Headmaster Kim had outstretched to him. "Good morning everyone. I assume we are all excited to hear the results, and mostly excited to return back to your comfortable homes." Prince Seungyoon's eyes seemed to glimmer with understanding. His kind and expecting temperament seemed to rise within the audience as well, and soon everyone was cheering. "It has been quite a pleasure being here with you all, and I hope to give you each a proper goodbye before this day's end. Now it is with uptmost pleasure that I will announce the winners of the first competition. Healing of an injured bird." The cheering rose to a loud maximum, thanks to the Prince's spirit, all the sleepiness any student had felt this morning had worn off. 

Jennie grabbed a hold of Rosé's arm and linked themselves together as they listened to the results. Prince Seungyoon continued to call out the third place winner, second place winner, and lastly, Han Iljeong, the winner of the first competition. Rosé frowned with a bit of confusion. She was sure she had heard of this name before. Han Iljeong was from a different school, a few districts away from Amethysia. The frail looking boy with very round glasses made his way up to the stage to accept his trophy and prize from the Prince. He smiled proudly, but had a bit of a hunch that made him seem overall shy. 

A Headmaster from another school began to anounce the winners of the second competition, Channeling of Ancestorial Spirits. Second and third place went to students both outside of Amethysia, and the winner was Kim Hana. Kim Hana was in Rosé's class. The two had spoken a few times before, and Rosé had always thought of the girl as very sweet and kind. She was pale with very wavy brown hair, and had eyes that looked like she was always speaking to the dead. No surprise there, as Jennie had pointed out. 

Headmaster Kim took the liberty of announcing the winners of the third competition. And again to nobody's surprise, Princess Jisoo snatched up first place in Proper uses of crystals and gemstones. Rosé couldn't even imagine the amount of books and lectures she must have at the palace to help aid her in her studies. The Princess took the stage and smirked proudly as she took her trophy. Jennie's hold on Rosé's arm tightened up even more and she squealed as the Princess gave her acceptance speech. 

The princess then was tasked with announcing the winners of the fourth competition, Accuracy of reading omens and symbols. To both Jennie and Rosé's surprise, Jennie had won third place. Rosé watched as her friend nearly hopped up from her seat and danced her way over to the Princess, sneaking nervous looks back to Rosé, who reassured her with two thumbs up. Lee Jaejoon, a first year at Amethysia ended up in first place. 

Lastly, Prince Mino took up the microphone from Princess Jisoo. The entire venue seemed to ring with applause as he turned to face the cheering and clapping audience, he smiled faintly, nodding his head with the microphone at his chest. He waited a few moments for silence before he began to introduce himself. "Thank you, students and staff, for allowing me to intrude upon your day's competition. I did not get to introduce myself formaly yesterday," He spoke calmly, his voice was smooth, but had a firm edge, and when he paused, Rosé swore he looked right at her. His dark eyes almost seeming to zero in on her, and Rosé felt the outer skin on her arms rise with goosebumps. "My name is Prince Mino. What a sight these past few days have been, and how extremely rare it is to have the finest of Obsidian's gifted liners all gathered here in one place. It will be my honor to give the results of the last competition." 

Rosé shifted her gaze to Jennie, who was still standing on stage next to the other winners, as everyone awaited the last call of winners. Jennie was wide eyed and full on blushing as she stared right into the back of Princess Jisoo's head, which made Rosé nearly chuckle. Her friend was a good distraction, but once Prince Mino began speaking again, Rosé's attention shifted right back to him. The way his lips moved ever so slightly as he spoke, his dark eyes traveling from one side of the crowd to the next, it was almost hard not to focus on him. He was definitely not as charming as Prince Seungyoon, at least not in his demeanor or words. 

Someone tapped Rosé's shoulder, and she turned to look at the fellow student from Amethysia. She was saying something to her and pointing to the stage. Rosé blinked in confusion and looked around as the audience began to mumble loudly all at once. Prince Mino cleared his throat, silencing most of the arena, as he repeated himself. "And lastly, the winner of the last competition, Lalisa Manoban." 





.

A/N: Hello my loves, and thank you for sticking with me. I've been MIA for so long, and so much has happened. I've found my way back to this story and have somehow found the inspiration to continue it. I think I was stuck for the longest time because I didn't know how to introduce Prince Mino. Thankfully, I've found a muse. I hope you guys will enjoy the rest of the journey of this story with me! This was a very very long chapter update. I hope it makes up for all the time I was gone! 💞