Chapter Two | Lesson 15

The Blood Oracle

Chapter Two

The bus ride filled Rosé with even more anticipation. By the end of the two hours, both Rosé and Jennie were up to their knees in hope that they would catch a glimpse of the princess. Jennie more so than Rosé, as Jennie had been a huge fan of Princess Jisoo of Obsidian since they were young children. Jennie had apparently met Princess Jisoo once when she was in her early teens. Apparently Princess Jisoo had escaped from her guards and was wandering around the local market. Jennie had been present that fateful day and just slightly followed her around in awe. 

"Like a stalker." Rosé snorted as Jennie retells the story to her for the hundreth time. 

"No! More like," Jennie pursed her lips together and clasped her hands under her chin, starry eyed, "Like an admirer." 

"Uh huh. And if Princess Jisoo does remember you, she'll remember you as the girl who followed her around the market the whole day." 

Jennie sighed dramatically and shook her head at Rosé. "You don't understand. I was starstruck!" 

"Attention students of Amethysia." A dull voice came over the bus intercom. "We've reached the academy venue. Please make your way to the auditorium for a presentation from your academy president. You will be seated and given further notice from there." 


Rosé gawked at the surroundings as they were led to the auditorium. The atmosphere was tense, as there were actually armed guards at the base of the stadium stage. Jennie squealed something about guards needing to protect the royal family members who had come today. Doubtful, Rosé's attention was elsewhere. Her eyes skimmed the stage that was decorated with Amethysia Academy's classic purple and red colors. Glistening lilac crystals were hang like chandeliers from the ceiling of the stage. The maroon red carpet on the stage was laced with a golden glitter, fit for a king. They're trying really hard, Rosé thought honestly. Perhaps they would get to see some royal family action today. 

The lights of the auditorium dimmed and Rosé sunk deeper into her velvet lined chair as the school headmaster shuffled onto the stage.
Headmaster Kim's wide smile was completely out of place and awkward on his long hollow face, but he continued to smile as he introduced himself and welcomed everyone. He explained the scheduled events and competitions and how the games would work. A few weeks ago, sign-up forms were given out to the particpants, who had chosen their fields of interest to compete. Rosé of course, had not signed up for anything. She was more interested in watching the other competitors. At the end of the competitions, there would be a grand ball, where the winners will be announced and given their trophy. 

"And this year, we have a very special guest of honor as one of our very own judges!" The headmaster's voice rang throughout the audiorium, creating a buzz from all the students. The anticipation peeked and Jennie grabbed Rosé's arm, gasping. "Prince Seungyoon of the Royal Family!" And the entire place seemed to get ten times as loud as the royal family's eldest prince made his way onto the stage. He was dressed in a prim black attire, humble, but noticably luxurious. His hair was tied neatly back with a small prince's crown atop his head. Although his outfit was sleek and black, there were golden chains and dangles on various parts of his suit and he looked visually stunning. Jennie audibly gasped again next to Rosé, who was now at the edge of her seat without realizing it. She stared at the Prince, whose lips curled into a gentle smile as he waved to the students in the audience. Rosé felt her cheeks flush and couldn't take her eyes off of him. She had to pinch herself to stop acting like some kind of schoolgirl thirsty for a Cinderella dream. 

"Thank you
Headmaster Kim. I am no more important than any of the other judges in this exciting competition. I am the one honored to sit among the very talented and gifted students of Amethysia." He spoke as charmingly as he looked, which only made Rosé lean forward in her chair even more. She felt stupidly star struck. For the rest of the opening ceremony, Rosé could not do anything other than stare at Prince Seungyoon. She pressed her chin against her palms and leaned against the arm of her chair, eyes following the Prince wherever had was. Rosé had never had a crush before, but she's heard much of what a crush was. How the crush gives you butterflies in your tummy. Makes you blush and unable to speak clearly. She felt ashamed, but she thought maybe she could understand Jennie's infatuation now more than before. 

Of course, Rosé knew exactly what was happening. It wasn't that she was infatuated by Prince Seungyoon. But rather, as they taught in many classes she'd taken at Amethysia, she saw in him the potential she had in herself that she would never be able to exude. This was a classic form of mirrored-idol, where a person could become smitten with someone they'd never met before, simply because the other person mirrored back what the first person loves and wants in themselves. She tried to explain this again to Jennie as the girls walked out of the auditorium. 

"Right. You mean you're completely crushing over the Prince and can't admit to it." Jennie smirked, nudging Rosé. 

"No, the Prince simply looks like everything I wish I could be, but can't." Rosé explained, half to Jennie, half to herself. "Law of Mirroring, Lesson 15 with Teacher Park. Everyone you see is a mirror. Those you see and feel infatuated with are mirrors you've repressed within yourself-" 

"Blah blah blah." Jennie rolled her eyes and turned to face Rosé. "Come on Rosie." She said with a sheepish smile. "You like him. No books attached." 

"No books what-" Rosé groaned but her eyes caught sight of a crowd forming at a competition sign-up table. She squinted and recognized who was quickly becoming surrounded by guards and students. "Speaking of strings attached." The girl placed both hands on Jennie's shoulders and turned her around to look at the commotion. "Look who's joining the competition this year apparently." 

Jennie's eyes bulged and her jaw dropped nearly to the ground. Surrounded by guards and students was Princess Jisoo of the Royal Family. She was wearing a velvety blue dress with a black cape drawn around her head and body in useless attempt to hide her identity. "Shut. Up." Jennie went limp, gripping onto Rosé. The Princess looked half annoyed in her sparkling tiara and perfectly manicured nails. She was frowning, but also smiling as she signed her name and stamped her fingerprint onto the sign-up sheets. The competition she was in for: Foretelling the results of the competitions. 

"Well you can't just let her play alone right? If you sign up, you get to go against her." Rosé grinned, "That means you get to see her more often." 

Jennie gulped. Her foretelling abilities were not the greatest. She'd done very well on a few exams at Amethysia, but in general, she was pretty good at getting lucky. But why not embarass herself in front of the Princess just to see her more often right? Maybe seeing Jennie would jog her memory up to the stalker incident. The girls hurried on through the crowd and grabbed the sign-up papers. As Jennie was signing up and taking her time, mostly staring at the Princess, Rosé made her way out of the crowd to look at the other games being held. 

Healing of an injured bird, channeling of ancestorial spirits, proper uses of crystals and gemstones, accuracy of reading omens and symbols, and lastly of course  foretelling the results of the competitions. 

"This is a reminder that every student from Amethysia must participate in at least one of the competitions. At least one. And remember, this is a competition, so keep your eyes open and let the games begin, shortly."
Headmaster Kim's voice began booming through every intercom system at the outdoor venue. 

"." Rosé muttered, then looked around. She would have to fake her way through one of these competitions. Otherwise, Lisa's parents would be getting a phone call from
Headmaster Kim very soon about how their daughter was being a bad sport and did not participate. They then would wonder why their daughter was at the competition when she was right next to them at home. Rosé looked at her watch. She had only two minutes to sign up for anything. She ran to the Foretelling the results of the competition booth and scribbled her name down on the piece of paper. She dipped her thumb prompty into the black ink and stamped the papers without reading the rules. She gave the teachers at the table a sheepish smile before running off to find Jennie. This way, she could at least have Jennie's help or guess her way through the competition. 



.