Final

Bitter

 

Wenjun had known Zhengting for basically all of his life. From meeting in kindergarten to going to college together, the two were attached at hips. And while Zhengting was the outgoing, flirtatious, social butterfly everyone had come to known, Wenjun was your quiet, shy, unnoticed wallflower. Sure they were different, but the two of them got along well. At least that’s what Wenjun thought until they started their first year of college. It was no doubt that they would dorm together their first year of college. But what bothered Wenjun about Zhengting wasn’t his sleeping habits, his late night gaming, his lack of consistency between being completely obsessed with having a spotless house or being completely messy and not caring as he threw his clothes around. None of that bothered Wenjun as much as knowing that Zhengting was dating the most beautiful girl there was in this world and not even knowing it.

 

The broke college student he was, Wenjun worked at the cafe near campus with his friends Wang Linkai and Jeffrey. The three got along pretty well, despite being more or less, on different wavelengths. Linkai, or Xiao Gui, was full of what he claimed to be, “swag”. From head to toe, anyone could see the youthful energy he had to display as well as his passion for creating music he loved. Jeffrey, on the other hand, was a lady killer. He got his title not from being flirtatious or anything. No, girls loved his clumsiness, his quirky laugh, and his shyness. And Wenjun? Wenjun was just your tall average Joe. He made the drinks while the other two managed the front therefore the customers never really bothered to take notice of him.

 

Everyday, the cafe would be flooded with different types of people. Usually college students, mainly girls here for Jeffrey or Xiao Gui’s music friends like Xingjie and Yanchen, but none of them mattered to Wenjun. The only customer who managed to really brighten Wenjun’s day was the girl who came in everyday. The girl who would always come in with a smile, who would stand off to the side, contemplating what drink to get only to get her go to drink in the end, who would sit by herself, reading a book for hours, who would come in with her friends, Linong and Zhangjing, and finish her homework as the two messed around, or even sometimes she would bring her brother and his best friend and they would talk nonstop. And while she got pretty familiar with Jeffrey and Xiao Gui, she never knew the person behind her favorite drink. Wenjun would take sneak peaks at her every time she came in, but he never had the courage to talk to her. He thought he would be content with this lifestyle, admiring her from afar while knowing she would come in everyday. That was until she stopped coming and next thing he knew she was walking around campus holding hands with his best friend.

 

It wasn’t that Wenjun wasn’t happy for the both of them. Wenjun saw the heart eyes she had for him when she was around him, he saw the change in attitude for Zhengting when he was home, he saw the general happiness the two of them had when they first got together. It just that Wenjun wished that the man she was holding hands was him, that the guy she would give small kisses to was him, that the man that she loved was him.

 

But he simply wasn’t Zhu Zhengting.

 

Surprisingly enough, Wenjun still never talked to her. Everytime she would come over to their dorm, he would leave before she would even get a chance to lay her eyes on him. When he would see the couple on campus, he would start running the other way. Basically Wenjun was a fleeing mess, but he rather keep running away and save himself some heartache than to be bitter.

 

Wenjun was there to witness the beginning of it. The constant messaging, the couple pictures, the smiles plastered on their faces as they saw each other.  Everything. He was also there to witness the fall of it. Zhengting avoiding her messages, Zhengting playing games late into the night rather hanging out with her, Zhengting going to bars with who knows who and sometimes not even coming back until the day after. Wenjun saw it all. Yet Wenjun didn’t do anything about it, he didn’t know what he could do. All he did was watch from afar and moved on with his own life. As long as she was happy he had thought, he could live.

 

It wasn’t until she returned back to the cafe, tears stained on her face, when Wenjun finally did something. Wenjun actually didn’t know she would come since it had been two years since she had last come. If it wasn’t for Xiao Gui who ran into the kitchen frantically telling Wenjun what happened, he would have remained quiet all this time.

 

They broke up. They finally broke up. Wenjun knew the day would come eventually but he did not expect this. She was in pieces, sobbing to Jeffrey about how Zhengting meant a lot to her and it was hard to let go of someone who she had loved for so long. Sure, even she knew her and Zhengting were different, but she was so persistent on making him change that when things never worked out, she lost it. It was a hopeless cause, she whispered, something never meant to be.

 

Wenjun made her the usual drink, and added a little cookie he made earlier. He told Xiao Gui to say it’s on the house.

 

“You’re not going to see her? It’s your chance!” The younger male questioned the tall brunette.

 

“Never take advantage of a girl who’s vulnerable,” Bi Wenjun warned his coworker. “Besides, she needs you guys the most right now, not another admirer. I suddenly have something to do though so cover my shift and take care of her.” He tossed his apron at Xiao Gui as he stormed out of the back door.

 

“Zhu Zhengting, what the hell did you do to her?” Wenjun didn’t even bother to knock on the door before practically stomping into his housemate’s room.

 

Zhengting was on the computer, in the middle of a game as he casually replied, “She broke up with me, said something like how she doesn't love me anymore.”

 

Wenjun rolled his eyes as he noticed his friend treating the situation as nothing and went to unplug the cable.

 

“What was that for?!” Zhengting furiously asked as he witnessed his screen turn black. “Why do you care so much about her anyways? Shouldn't you be asking me how I, your childhood friend, am doing?”

 

“Ting, it's because I saw the way you treated her. I know how you are. I don't need to ask a question that I can answer with my own eyes.” The taller one angrily stared at the other, "Do you really think that she doesn't love you anymore? She's crying helplessly at the cafe I work at Zhengting and you're telling me she doesn't love you? For heaven's sake, you two have been dating since our first year in college. Do you think anyone can really give up all of the emotions and attachment developed in the span of two years? Gosh you’re clueless if you really think so and now you're here just casually playing games after breaking up with the most beautiful girl in this world.” Wenjun sighed as he said that last part. He didn't want to tell Zhengting about his feelings but it was hard to suppress the anger built inside of him. “She broke up with you because you're like this, because you didn't prioritize her when you should have, because you didn't man up when she needed you to, because rather than facing the problems, you chose to avoid everything and left her all alone.”

 

It was then Wenjun heard soft sniffling and he noticed his friend crying. Wenjun sighed and patted Zhengting’s back as he silently apologized for being too harsh and straightforward.

 

“I was a coward,” Zhengting whispered, “and when I had tried to fix everything it was already too late.”

 

“You’re not wrong on that,” Wenjun stated, “but Ting. Take this as an opportunity to learn for the next time you get a shot at love. It’s like what I always say--”

 

“Love is about being in the same place during the same time. If it doesn't work out, then it's time to move on." Zhengting repeated the lines he had always told her back then.

 

By now the two were sitting next to each other on the floor, silently enjoying each other’s company. He faintly smiled, “Thanks for everything Wenjun. You were right and I needed that wake up call. But what about you? Since when did you like her?

 

“For a while,” Wenjun didn’t dare to look at Zhengting, “but next thing I knew, you two started dating and I just gave up. I just wanted you two to be happy.”

 

“We’re not together anymore,” Zhengting put his hands on Wenjun’s shoulders. “If you want her to truly be happy, go give her the love she deserves”

 

“Maybe when she’s ready. I’ll approach her sometime then.” Wenjun thanked his best friend.

 

Eventually, the two childhood friends split up and went their separate paths. With no regrets left behind, they both anticipated the future. Zhengting found a new love in his dance class, and took the mistakes of the past and made them the lessons for his future.

 

As for Bi Wenjun, he thought his chance slipped as he never saw her again at the cafe. After graduating, finding a new job, and settling in with some new friends, he was just about to give up. That was until he saw her again two years later, just as beautiful as he had remembered.