08: Prelude

There’s Magic in You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There will be a second part to this chapter, because I was super tired of writing this and couldn’t add more, and I have a heavy, heavy week starting tomorrow, so I had to update today or it’ll take double the time. I mean, this chapter isn’t really small, but I wanted to be past 6K :(

I just didn’t want you guys to wait more, and no one really knows what’ll happen tomorrow, so, the more fast I’m, the better! 

By the way: this is the chapter you all have been waiting for! Muahahhaha.

Update: EDITED!

I stood hidden behind the big boulder that separated the living room from the kitchen, listening, spying, and simply making sure the coast was clear for me.

“.. were you drunk last night?”

I gulped at the question, despite it not being directed at me. Father and Sehun were there; Mira and Seokjin were probably there too. Suho had early classes, so he was gone by five AM. Mira was a housewife for sure, and she wouldn’t be so far from the kitchen in time of breakfast. Her food was amazing too, which made my stomach roar just at the thought of.

Why was I hiding, you ask? Well, it wasn’t a real spy action. It wasn’t for fear of being discovered; more because I wanted to listen to what Father was saying, his tone underlain with aggression. Since he was a werewolf too, Sehun surely could feel the brewing emotion clearly. I wasn’t amused. I didn’t think Father would question Sehun about what happened yesterday since I succeeded with sneaking him inside the house to his room without Father and Mira’s watchful eyes. It helped that I was a witch and they were in their rooms, watching movies or something. I wasn’t brave enough to check. Thankfully, I fed Sehun with unreal memories last night while hauling him up the stairs, so he didn’t know what happened accurately.

“What?” Came Sehun’s grumbled reply, voice heavy and laced with clear exhaustion. He wasn’t helping his case of being discreet, even though he was genuinely clueless with Father’s accusations. “No, I wasn’t. I’m underage, Dad.”

I winced from my spot, my scent hidden with a quick spell. Did Sehun really think saying he was an underage was an easy access to trust? Did he really think father would stop his interrogation and believe him because of that? Was he truly stupid?

“Then why are you clutching your head?” Father said with annoyance. I could imagine his raised eyebrows but I didn’t peak a look to check. It was too dangerous, and they’d discover my existence behind the boulder. “You have a headache, Sehun, it is clearly a hangover.”

“No! Dad, I’m not hungover. Seriously..” I could feel Sehun shaking his head at that grumble of his, trying to make a point; and I bit my lips, holding any urges in me not to tap the floor with my feet anxiously.

I was waiting for this accusative interrogation to end so I could be one hundred percent sure Sehun didn’t remember, not like I could do something if he did remember anyway (I mean, I could wipe his memories. But a secret as prickle and as silly as my magic wasn’t important enough to risk Sehun’s entire memory). But I wished he couldn’t remember. I didn’t have time nor will to face the consequences of them knowing. Things were much better when we were both clueless on each other’s secret identity.

“So why are you holding your head?” Father was insistent. “Don’t play a joke on me. I know what teenagers do when they go to parties. This is exactly why I wasn’t one hundred percent Okay with the party.”

“Dad,” Sehun whined, for real, long and childish. I blinked, appalled with his whine, but then released a soundless sigh. He was a father’s boy, alright. “I really didn’t drink anything. I have a headache because I have a headache. I think I slept in an awkward angle, or maybe I slept only a little. All I know is that my wolf is uncomfortable since I woke up, and it’s killing me.”

Ouch. I felt that in my heart, and my stomach released a silent squelch of protest. His inner wolf was upset because it felt that it was being manipulated by magic, or perhaps the spiked bunches were decipherable to him. Either way, Sehun’s wolf was upset, nervous even; and a part of that could be mine.

“Yeah,” Father grumbled, and my legs released a chum of irritation. They were starting to turn numb from standing too long. “I’m still ready to bet it was because of alcohol.”

“Dad.” Sehun whined again, the sound followed by a soft thump, which made me believe Sehun smacked his head on the table; hiding away, and then groaning. I decided to reappear now, by snapping the magic within me away so they could sense me, counting to ten, and then emerging out with a thin, clueless smile.

My father’s shoulders were tense when he saw me, his brown, deep eyes calculating me and my body; wondering if I had heard anything. When I continued to give him a deliberately  askew smile, full of fake innocence; he sighed, his chest falling down in comfort. It was so easy for me to manipulate and lie to people, being the creature that I was. For the first time, I felt a twinge of guilt within me.

They, those people, my brother, my father, Mira and the rest; they don’t deserve being lied to.

I swore to tell them of myself, at that moment. One day or another. Perhaps I wasn’t ready now, for whatever inner feelings and complex thoughts I have, but I can’t be prisoner to them for eternity. I knew these people were family now, and considered me as a part of their family too, but when will I ever learn to trust family when all I received from them most years of my life was lies and deceit?

I sat on the chair next to Sehun slowly, eyeing his hunched figure; face hidden around his arms. If I touched any visible part of his body, I’d be able to tell the amount of pain he was enduring. I could also use my magic to heal; but healing magic is an advanced kind of magic that needs much more energy than normal magic; which would alert the werewolves around easily.

“Was there any alcoholic drinks in that party?”

I heard Father ask, and I realized he was asking me; not Sehun. I looked at him with round eyes, heart releasing a sudden lurch inside me. Oh, I need to control myself. Just because I didn’t expect him to ask me that question; didn’t mean I need to drop my walls. These werewolves were easily the best lie detector you can find.

“To be truthful with you,” I started, clicking my fingers on the table. And from the corner of my eyes; I noticed Sehun lifting his head. “There was, tons. You can’t fully trust teenagers nearing their adolescence to stay away from that poison,” Father looked a little smug that he figured Sehun was lying, but that smugness soon went away, replaced by anger. Sehun, who was watching me cautiously by now, hitched his breath, and with a hidden smile; I continued to speak before Father could attack Sehun for lying and drinking. “But I swear to you, Sehun didn’t take a sip. He is a good boy.”

I was lying. Of course, but he didn’t need to know that. Sehun wouldn’t have been poisoned if he hadn’t drank any.

Father looked satisfied, even though he tried to hide it; wherein Sehun was radiating confusion. I don’t feel emotions; but I could easily understand Sehun. He’d definitely be surprised to hear I was lying so easily, and skeptical too, for I was helping him cover his mistakes. But that is what siblings do, right? Cover each other’s lies, each other’s stumbles and trips, no?

Father looked at Sehun for one more conformation, and I followed in tow. Sehun was looking at me just as I predicted; with confusion and surprise. I plastered a sweet smile on my face, half genuine; as a laugh was threatening to break out of my throat at how agape his mouth had gone.

“Is that true? Is she telling the truth? Don’t you dare lie boy.” Father asked Sehun, using his Alpha voice unconsciously, but it wasn’t like a human would have felt it. However, a mage was very capable of detecting that tinge of authority in his tone.

“Leave the poor kid alone, Minsoo,” Mira interrupted after being silent for a long time, feeding Seokjin breakfast and not caring about what was happening. I assumed because it happened too much for her to care still. “He had already told you he didn’t, why would he lie to you?”

“Do you remember the tons of other times he lied? You’d always think he is such a perfect chi—“

“Because he is,” She interrupted again, shooting him a glare. I looked at Sehun for his reaction, and I saw him hiding a smirk. Oh, oh, he was a bad son alright, with a nice front. He got Mira fooled, that . I smirked too, delightfully. “He is so sweet and kind. He wouldn’t do something he knows he shouldn’t, so stop being so rough on him. You have no idea how troublesome Suho had been in high school. He caused all sorts of troubles. Sehun is an angel in comparison.”

“You’re so fooled by him, my love.” Father grumbled with a sour face, but there was clear fondness in his eyes for the woman. I could see it, Sehun could see it; and Mira could see it as well. It made her smile quickly, removing her glare; wherein Sehun grimaced, looking away.

I remained looking. In awe with the amount of love, burning; youthful desire, and contentment in their eyes. Could someone have such big emotions for someone else? Was it possible? Was it real?

“Lets go,” I heard Sehun mumble secretly beside me, and when I looked at him; he was ready to leave, collecting his backpack. “They’ll not be broken out of this mushy gushy trance for a long, long time. We should sneak to school before Dad notices, hurry.”

He crouched low to stay hidden over the breakfast table, his bag in hands, and started to rush out of the kitchen easily. I watched him with a blink, and then shifted my attention to the two couple in front of me. They were staring at me now, smiles on their faces. Oh, Sehun was lying.

“You should follow behind your brother, honey,” Came Mira’s smooth, velvet voice; and she even brushed my bangs away from my eyes. She had a gentle smile on her face and I didn’t know why she’d look at me like that. Had I done something to earn a reward as gentle as that smile of hers? I didn’t know, but I didn’t push it away. I looked at Father, and he had a similar smile on, strong eyes of his softening considerably, for me. I wholeheartedly accepted that grin of theirs. “He’s a little of an idiot. Don’t tell him I said that.”

I smiled. I could easily get used to that sort of tenderness.

-

“Swearing for a lie is a bad omen, you know.”

I heard the first thing when I closed the door of the house behind me, looping my arms through the straps of my backpack; forcing my eyes off of the loose strings of my shoes so that I would look at Sehun, who was watching me with a deviant sort of look in his eyes.

What did he say again?

A bad omen?

I scoffed, the noise coming out low and little malevolent, even though there was a laugh trying to bubble out of my throat.

“Bad omen,” I mused, my eyebrows creasing inwards in amusement. “What do you know about bad omens, Sehun?”

“It’s just an expression of speech, Hana,” Sehun mused back, his small, feline eyes focused on me as I took the remaining steps towards him, until I could graze his shoulder. “Why did you lie about my consumption of alcohol? You didn’t need to do that.”

“Would you really want Father to ground you?” I scoffed, walking past his body with a discreet roll of my eyes. I heard Sehun’s footsteps following behind me.

“No,” he grumbled. The sound he let out resembled a growl, and I shivered, recalling his werewolf side. “But you didn’t need to do that for me.”

“That’s fine, Sehun.” I softened, recognizing the guilty expression he was harboring. He was feeling like a burden, as if he owed me or something. He didn’t need to feel that. I could be aloof and unapproachable, but it didn’t mean I held favors against people. “You don’t have to look so horrified. You don’t owe me , I did it because you were in trouble and I was helping you out. Case closed.”

He didn’t reply, but I could still hear the scuffle of his feet, which meant he was dragging them behind in childlike shyness. I pursed my lips to suppress a grin at his action, but didn’t do anything to indicate I was aware of his adorable self. I simply continued to walk.

“Do you, uh,” he stuttered, and I looked back at him to catch the tint of blood red on his cheeks. My mouth curled sideways. “Should we go to school together? I know we already have gone in your first day, but I was kinda awkward and you told me to leave so—“

“Sehun,” I released a small laugh, giving his awkward self a pause. It was his turn to blink. “Of course I’ll go—“

“Uh, am I interrupting a family bond or some ?”

Sehun and I both snapped backwards to face the , Baekhyun, who cut our moment; wonder flashing in our

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter