06: Toxicity

There’s Magic in You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, you’re allergic to silver, huh?”

I wasn’t going to answer him, for the whole reason I didn’t want his presence near me right now; and the the tinge of emotions glinting in his questions. He was obviously dragging me to confess my secrets, the mere reason he told me (and everyone else too) that he was allergic to silver too.

I turned to shoot him an exasperated look, my legs failing to take me ahead of him, further away. He was faster than me, that was a given for being a werewolf. I hadn’t cared enough to hate the supernatural’s abilities until then, when I couldn’t beat him. His eyes were hot and smoldering, invading my privacy. The small band snuggly wrapped around the middle of his lips glowing a faint golden from the reflection of the sun. He was sensitive to silver, so was that a band made of gold? He was watching me watching him, which was supposed to unravel and embarrass me. However, all I felt was mild irritation.

“And so are you, and Kai, and Kyungsoo, and everyone else apparently.” I huffed, pointing out his and his friend’s obvious words at the restaurant. His eyes flashed with a small yet intense emotion, an emotion I should have been able to read have I given enough time to. But Baekhyun’s bland, expressionless eyes were back as soon as possible, occupied with a large, amused smile. 

“I can sense a lot of anger in you, sweetheart,” came his gruff, low-pitched mumble. It contrasted with the amused smile on his face. “Why are you angry?”

“I’m not angry,” I mumbled back. “I’m just immune to mind manipulation.”

“You think we are lying about it?” Came another amused mumble from beside me, and honestly? I didn’t like him. I wasn’t going to say I hated him, because hate is.. a large word, and I don’t have time - or will - to pursue such an emotion. But he irritated me in a sense. His presence so close to me, evoked shivers all over my still body. His warmth wasn’t near the suffocating heat most werewolves were known for; and his eyes shook my resolve. They held such dark promises and feelings, yet he didn’t allow any one of them entrance. He was holding back around me, despite his grouchy, gruff personality. He was lenient. What was he aiming for?

“Oh no, I know you’re not lying.” I said strongly, looking up to meet his endless pools of black and brown; with a pinch of solid golden that flickered in and off occasionally. “I’m just not sure why you’re telling me this. I know there’s something you’re hinting about, I just don’t understand why.” 

‘Or maybe I do. But why would they? How sure are they with their speculations of me being a werewolf too?’ I thought, forcing my hypnotized eyes to look away from his pair of coffee brown. I hopped over a strewn stick, looking forward at the road, and following the soft, glowing lights on the ground leading home. 

Baekhyun didn’t say anything, for whatever reason going through his head. This whole let-me-take-you-home fiasco was starting to become extremely clear in my head. He was fishing for informations about me, about.. whatever he thinks that I have to hide, which he wasn’t far from. I did have something to hide, but it wasn’t like whatever I’m hiding will benefit him. It was my secret to do whatever I want to do with, it was my life, and the consequences were also mine to bear. Why was he so curious about me?

I looked back at him the same time the thought crossed my mind, noticing him looking forward as well, producing another stick of cigarette out of thin air and pulling it up to his mouth. Then, he took a lighter from the pocket of his school blazer, and started lighting it up.

“Can you please stop smoking?” I grumbled, and I knew that I resembled a child throwing tantrums at the moment. But did I care about my image? No, all I was worried about was my lungs and their capacity to hold smoke. Baekhyun turned sideways to shoot me a smug smile and took in a deep breath from the stick. I watched as feathery yet dangerous air as white as smog flared out of his nostrils. I bit my lips not to state a comment about how he resembled a cute little dragon.

“It’s just a small cigarette, your lungs would be fine.”

“I don’t care.” I rolled my eyes at his logic. “I’d rather not inhale any, not even a small stick.” Once again, I swiped the stick of cigarette from his mouth, and once again; he allowed me for whatever reason. I crushed the stick beneath my foot, the magic inside me that was currently activated for directions, pounding through the walls of my body; reacting to my movements, and then humming. It seemed that my magic went at ease with Baekhyun’s presence. It wasn’t something I should be jumping in happiness about. My magic was making friends fast and it was unusual for it. “You can smoke when I’m not around, I don’t care about your lungs but I give a damn about mine.”

First, he was smiling, wide and amused; then he was snickering; the sound small and irritating, third, he was laughing out loud, his shoulders shaking at the magnitude of the voice exiting his very healthy lungs. He was also closing his eyes, draping an arm over his face to hide them. But I noticed the flare of golden easily bleeding over the brown in his iris. At least now he had the decency to hide it. I wasn’t very sure about this piece of information, but werewolves’ eyes glitched a bright golden whenever they were facing an excessive amount of emotions, be it anger, sadness; or delight. From Baekhyun’s widespread lips, booming laughter; I could tell he was very much entertained.

I found it annoying.

“Stop laughing.” I moved forward to kick his shins, both of them; but he moved swiftly to the side, his laughter slowly easing away, and his arm falling back to his side. But I could still see his fangs gleaming in the sun because of his wide smile. My heart treacherously pounded inside of my chest. It found this being beautiful. I cleared my throat. “It’s not funny and I’m being serious.”

“You’re fiercely entertaining, Kitten.” He replied, his voice naturally husky and low-pitched, but this time it was laced with laughter. Honestly, I didn’t know what was funny about my statement.

“Don’t call me that. I’m not a cat.”

“You’re harmless as one.”

“I’m really not.” I muttered lowly under my breath, knowing he’d be able to hear me no matter how low and soft my voice had gotten. Werewolf hearing and all. He seemed unsure of his own words then; because of mine. Good, he should be careful of what I say and do. He shouldn’t be so trusting, even though I wasn’t really a threat to anyone here, nor was I planning to be one any time soon. 

“Really now? Why would you say that?” He hummed curiously, and once again, I saw a small spark of gold in his eyes. But it was gone as soon as possible. He was insanely curious about me, just as I was insanely curious about him. Why?

I didn’t say anything, because what can I say? Why was I not telling them I’m a witch, a supernatural being just as they were? Because it wouldn’t change anything, I’d still be different. I knew how rare mages are. With every thirty werewolf that is born, there is a chance a single mage would be born somewhere else, a chance. I’ve never seen a mage like me before, aside my mother; and I had been okay with it. I’m still okay with it, really, and I’m willing to live being okay with it for the rest of my life. 

Baekhyun, taking my silence negatively, went ahead and lit up another cigarette, the smoke he breathed out suffocating and too near. I rolled my eyes again, annoyed with his lack of respect to other people’s wants (and needs). He paused in his walk, apparently seeing the roll of my eyes, and despite telling myself I shouldn’t care, I paused too and turned around to face him curiously, wondering why he had stopped. 

Baekhyun’s eyes were intimidating and brewing. There was no trace of the laughter he had just been consuming minutes ago, and his dark, midnight hairlocks fell over his eyes like they were locks from hell. His golden lip piercing glowed again, but the glow was submerged by the infinite shadows of white his cigarette was emitting. For an agonizing minute, he didn’t say anything, just staring at me like pending doom, like an angel of death. With his ivory skin and black hair, he resembled a force of hell, he truly did, and the resemblance - despite never seeing one - sent all kinds of shivers up my body. 

I blinked my eyes and when they came open again, he was standing right in front of me, allowing me to breathe the stench of his werewolf blood, mixed with a heavy, lingering scent of rain and smoke, the smoke he was inhaling down his lungs. He leaned his head closer to mine, his pointy, beady nose grazing through mine, and his lips as close to me as my own hair that tickled my cheeks. Suddenly, I was inhaling the same smoke he was breathing, the toxic air I was afraid of having it near my lungs. I was inhaling it, combing straight out of his mouth, and down to my lungs.

It was sinfully intoxicating, which it shouldn’t, because he was dangerous and I disliked him. But right now, my body was reacting differently to the dislike I’m supposed to feel. He took a long drag of his cigarette and exhaled right on my lips, which I parted unconsciously, wanting more of not the smoke; but his essence. It was odd.

“What are you hiding, sweetheart?” Came his husky tinkles of a voice, extremely low and aggressive, pooling down at my core. My heart skipped a beat. I forced myself to gulp down my rising emotions.

“.. I’m not hiding anything.”

“I don’t believe you.” He breathed out another bundle of toxicity and I swallowed it down my throat. “There’s something you’re hiding and I can feel it,” He paused, taking another long, harsh from his cigarette, and I wondered what it’d feel like if he something else. My body shivered in delight, anticipating what shouldn’t be anticipated. “Heck, everyone can feel it. You have an enticing smell, you stare at us like we are things to unwrap, which it seems you have finished unwrapping. The longitude of this place has changed drastically ever since you put your first footsteps in here. You still say you’re not hiding anything?”

What?

What the hell does that mean? The longitude of this place has changed drastically ever since I put my first footsteps in here?

“What the hell does that mean?” I asked with the same aggressiveness his words had created out of me. Seeing this, my cluelessness; it amused him, it delighted him, knowing he could hold something against me the same way I was holding my own secrets away from him.

What the heck.

“You have your secrets, and we have ours.” He breathed one last breath of smoke down my face, down my tingling lips, and broke loose of the intensely close bubble he wrapped me around in his presence. He took deliberate steps backwards, his eyes slowly breaking apart from mine. He stared ahead, at something behind me, and when I looked backwards; I saw the house I was living with, my magic tracing spell ending here as well, as the lights slowly went away at my attention.

“... We are here.” He told ms, as if I couldn’t see for myself. I turned back towards him and saw his face softening a little, different from the previous aggression he had showed; and more to the laughter lines that spread like webs through his eyes. 

I didn’t say anything. 

“I’ll walk you home tomorrow too. It’s not a suggestion. Bye.”

It’s not a suggestion he said, and I wanted to say something about it, but the only thing that registered my head was what the hell just happened?

-

Once I was close to the front door of my home; I knocked and poked my head to see if anyone was around. But the whole place was ringing with deafening silence. Now I didn’t have such spectacular hearing, nor did I have the swift agility of werewolves to mask my footsteps. So I couldn’t be one hundred percent sure I was alone.

“I’m back home. Anyone here?” I called nervously. The scene was familiar, the silence and the loneliness that spread through my chest. I’d always return home to such silence, to such emptiness, and I’d still call for my mom like a deprived child - which I had been - only to be disappointed with the nothingness I was used to ringing down my ears.

However, I got a reply now, before I could fall into another pity pitch; and my whole body, consciously or not, sagged in relief.

“Yes Hana! Over here.”

I followed the feminine voice’s location, and reached the kitchen. Surprise, surprise. Suho’s mother, Mira, was there, sitting around one of the six stools they had over their kitchen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter