05: Warm Embrace

There’s Magic in You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    I’m so sorry for the late update! College had started and along my other story, I didn’t have that much of a time to update this ><~ but! This is a long chapter to make it up!

 

I hadn’t really thought there would come a day where I’d be watching TV with the rest of the residents of this house silently, sitting together across the couches and watching the same show without a word.

I wasn’t a TV girl, or a movies’ girl too, something which they were all currently watching together with sheer intensity. The movie apparently was supposed to be a horror one, but I wasn’t scared at all with all of these scenes, soundtracks, and tear-jerking moments. All I was truly thinking about was how incredibly stupid the main leads were, and how miscalculated their decisions were. I wasn’t scared, period, but maybe it wasn’t because I didn’t find the production idiotic, maybe it was because I have seen so many horrifying things in my life that a mere movie seemed ridiculous to me.

I‘m a witch after all. And witches.. they see a lot of unpleasant things. 

I blinked my eyes away from the TV, and focused more on the people I’m around. They’ve turned the lighting off to have more decent effects to scare them off, so I couldn’t calculate their expressions well. My father-or dad, was holding his wife to his chest, despite having Seokjin sitting on his lap. The scene was.. I don’t know how to describe it. I guess I haven’t seen such affection from people that I wasn’t close too, or the fact it wasn’t coming from my mother and her boyfriends. Well, it wasn’t like she was genuine with her boyfriends anyway, but it didn’t mean I hadn’t caught her snuggling to a different man every few months in our living room couch, in the same way my father and his wife were doing. However, they both elicited different emotions.

While my mom hugged her men playfully, with promises of a long, lustful night in her arms; my dad hugged his wife like she was the same oxygen he was breathing. It was outstanding how someone could express so many emotions with just a simple gesture. I’ve had noticed their eyes whenever they looked at one another, the twinkling of pure love and adoration. I never really believed such strong emotions existed, especially not when it was directed towards people outside family bonds; but I was proven wrong each and every day I have spent with my father and his wife; Mira. 

I pulled my attention away from the couple to Sehun, who was sitting on the couch across mine, his tiny squints of eyes wide and focused; his soft-looking lips parted away in awe, amazement, and absolute horror. I found my own lips curl, although more to release a smile than look like a horrified idiot. I continued to observe him, noticing the crease of laughter-lines all over his eyes; which only meant one thing; he laughed more than I did.

Ever since I met Sehun, I knew immediately that we were different. He was the good part of us, the joyous one, the soft, the one that laughed the most. He held an air of gentleness around him, despite his calmness and tranquility. The aura surrounding him was an aura I always found myself looking at twice, for the soothing feeling it gave me was indescribable. I was different than him, I was broody, aloof, and indifferent. I laughed little and enjoyed none of the things every normal person enjoyed. I threw myself into the mayhem of magic, blood sacrifices, and ruins. I striped away whatever innocence left I had, and even though I didn’t do it by choice; I still did. 

There is no meaning in life to me wherein everything meant something to him. And I‘m Okay with that. I’m just glad he still resembled the good version of us; that he hadn’t lost his essence like I was slowly losing mine. I can never hold it against him; this.. purity in him, I can never degrade him for it. I can just.. learn to stand next to him.

 The front door opened with a loud click, disturbing the soothing tranquility we were submerged in. Everyone broke their attention from the moving figures on the screen to the door, where Suho was moving inside with a hiss of annoyance; holding a large and filled plastic bag in his hand. He moved forward, his eyes taking their tour around our faces; his nostrils flared to catch our distinctive scents, before he was standing next to me, throwing the bag under my feet.

I blinked my eyes owlishly.

Seeing my swelling confusion, Suho leaned against the main couch my father and Mira were occupying, watching the interaction curiously. He merely ticked his head towards the plastic bag; and I refrained myself from snorting. He wanted to appear confident and boyish while doing that gesture, but he appeared like a clown to me.

Now, clowns are awesome, but they just.. don’t fit Suho. 

I lowered myself towards the bag, took it in my hand, and pulled it up on my lap. Then, I started to rummage through it, feeling the stares of everyone around me burning flaming balls down my back. I shuddered, not for the eyes; but for what I found inside.

“What are all.. of these?” I muttered in awe, even though I tried to conceal my amazement. Inside the bag, there were pens, pencils, a ruler, a rubber, notebooks, clean and new white socks, a pencil-case, and so on. Different kind of stationary for school I don’t think I’d even use. My heart released a choked thump inside of my chest.. he brought all of these for me? 

“Stationaries for school, obviously.” Suho cockily scoffed, as if he couldn’t understand what the hell I was asking. He crossed his arms and gave me a look that was a little smug, and despite wanting to scoff; I was still taken aback.

“Why are they this many?” I touched a blue and white rubber. “Are they all mine?”

“Yes they are.” He sounded absolutely ridiculous, as if he didn’t believe why I was questioning him about it. 

But what did he expect me to do? He and I weren’t that close, heck; I wasn’t close to my own brother, and here he was, buying me things I didn’t need. What did he really think I’d do? Bounce around in joy and kiss his cheeks in thanks? Of course not! He and I both know I wasn’t that kind of person. I looked once again at the stuff inside the bag in my lap, which was so large I was afraid its contents would spill out of my legs. There was a big; round backpack the color of the sun, with black intricate pattern spread all around it, like doodles. It was incredibly too beautiful for me, and I gaped my mouth open. Do I deserve all of these new things? Do I deserve to be pampered by him, who I have no strings or relationship with aside the fact he was the older brother of Sehun by law?

“This is where you thank me for being such a generous older brother and buying all of these things for you.” Came his impish, highly satisfied clamor; and my response came in autopilot, ready to use in the tips of my tongue. 

“You’re not my brother.”

“Oh honey,” He replied, still sounding heavily smug. I looked up from the stuff to look at him, and sure enough; he was grinning happily. “I am, according to law.”

I wanted to wipe that stupid grin out of his mouth, the sudden annoyance in me stemming from the fact he was right and that I couldn’t yet accept it. 

“Law can my—“

“Hana.” My father—or Sehun’s father - at this point, I wasn’t sure either - interrupted, harboring a reprimanding look in his face, daring me to complete my curse. Although I held no respect of his authority over me, I still felt guilty for closely falling into saying a curse word, something I personally tried to stray away from.

“Sorry.” I apologized somberly, crumbling the bag in my hands unconsciously. Suho, who had obviously noticed, didn’t comment on my growing irritation; and shot me that smug grin of his again.

“I’m still waiting for that thank you.”

“Thank.. you.” I forced out through gritted teeth, knowing and believing that despite his annoying tendencies; he still deserved a simple thank you for bringing me all of these things I didn’t ask for. I never even gave him a paper note to write down whatever I needed like he requested, not wanting to be a bother or a burden; but it seemed like he had already seen that coming, for he didn’t scold me or say anything regarding that matter. But, here he was, dropping whatever he wanted to buy on my lap and demanding gratitude.

Gratitude I was not willing to give but still knew he deserved.

“Was that very hard?” He mocked, his beady brown eyes unwrapping my own ones in their own intensity. Despite acting like a dork, an arrogant one; I knew Suho held an intelligent pair of eyes. He was acting like an absolute idiot but I was sure everyone knew he was pretty capable of destroying a country with only his mouth. He was clean, responsible, and held an air of power and strength that resembled Baekhyun’s air; except more enhanced. His strength was used and discovered, unlike Baekhyun’s raw one, which meant the two were perfect candidates to being Alphas.

However, I wasn’t a werewolf, and their hereditary powers don’t work on me. 

“I will hit you.” I threatened, even with knowing I wouldn’t be able to land a hit on him without my magic, for they - werewolves - were swift and agile. 

“You can’t.” He scoffed playfully. “You may be tall for a girl, but I’m still older than you, and I have the privileges to punish you.”

“Bull.” I bit my lower lip instantly after that curse came out of my mouth, but my father was quick to scold me again. 

“Hana.”

“Sorry.”

Suho, who was watching with clear amusement in his eyes, took his chance to comment instantly, whether I was glaring at him warningly or not. 

“You don’t sound very sorry.”

I opened my lips to reply, but Sehun beat me to it. He had been easily ignoring all of the commotion for the movie he had been so engrossed in, but it seemed like he remembered something, which easily broke his attention from his frenzy. 

“Hyung, did you bring me the ruler I asked of you?” Suho, my father and Mira, alongside Seokjin; all stared at Sehun wondrously. “I snapped mine into twos when I held it too tightly.”

Oh. Incredible strength. 

I knew about the werewolf’s massive strength, but they didn’t know that I knew, so all of them tensed, their eyes suddenly growing in strength; almost like they were hoping they’d hide their secrets or something. Sehun, whether he was oblivious to the changes in the atmosphere or not, continued to blink lazily at Suho, his small eyes suddenly looking smaller. 

“Seriously,” Suho replied through gritted teeth with a forced smile. “I know you’re past puberty and everything, but you need to control these hormones of yours.”

“Hyung,” Sehun deadpanned, looking entirely too unamused. Mira and my dad merely stared; a flicker of amusement slowly igniting my father’s eyes, as if he was perfectly aware of what nonsense Sehun would say next. I watched with newfound curiosity. “You are embarrassing yourself. It’s not about that, I smacked it across the wall and it broke apart.”

“Why did you smack your ruler across the wall?” I found myself intercepting whatever Suho was going to say in reply, furrowing my eyebrows in perplex. Did he just say what I heard him say? 

“Um, well,” Sehun continued to blink away., shifting his attention to me. I noticed how his expression considerably softened. “I wanted to hit Kai with it but, well..”

“It didn’t work?” I mused, a small smile of misplaced playfulness flaring up my face. What was I doing?

“No..?”

“Don’t worry,” I said with a clear of my throat, controlling my smile away. “Next time, I’ll help you deliver a hit to his pretty face.”

They all blinked at my answer, looking at me with slightly round eyes. I gave them another perplexed look. What?

“You think Kai has a pretty face?”

Oh. Oh.

“Um, sure he does,” I scratched my cheek self-consciously. “All of your friends do.”

Baekhyun might have a more attractive face than the most; but only because his broody, -y character enhances that. I thought with a shrug, but soon shook my head, throwing the thought away. Pretty boys or not, they all had their own distinctive character, and so far, I don’t feel like I trust them, not like I was trying to strengthen our bond or anything. 

Kai was cheeky and absolutely crazy, playful and just.. overwhelming. Chanyeol was too shy, wherein Baekhyun gave me a weird vibe. Kyungsoo was the only normal one; but even he had glints of evil in his eyes. I have miscalculated their personalities the first time I met them; but now I was sure of each and every one of them after that café escapades.

I’m allergic to silver too. They’ve told me, but I know they weren’t, they were werewolves and werewolves were sensitive to it. It made them vulnerable; it could even kill them if it was injected in their blood, but it wasn’t because they were allergic to it. I was sure I wasn’t allergic to it too. Now that I knew from where did this allergy of mine came from, I discovered it wasn’t allergy at all.

I was a little wolfy inside too. It was in my genes, from my father’s side. But I guess it wasn’t a dominant gene in me. I was ninety percent a mage and perhaps ten percent a wolf.

I could get an accurate percentage using my magic, but I have to go through my own memories, my own genes, and use my blood for my own causes. Magic was tricky in general and it was even more dangerous when you use it upon yourself. I’d rather I ask about my lineage but seeing how they all thought I was a human and hiding their werewolf self from me; I’d say they didn’t have a clue too.

I noticed the pending silence, for they didn’t reply at me, and I saw all of their eyes looking at me with strange fascination. 

What?

“What?” I vocalized, surprised of their reaction to my reply, and Suho cleared his throat; regaining his cool.

“Damn, you are a girl after all.” Suho shot me another grin. “I gotta say, you have to lay these hormones of yours as well. I know you and Sehun are twins, and probably both have late puberty affects, but for God’s sake—“

“Oh God, Hyung!” Sehun exclaimed loudly, tiny eyes suddenly wide and alert. He took the couch pillow he was hugging and threw it across the room, towards Suho’s head. The older dodged it with a tinkling snicker.

“I’m just messing with you, Sehun. That’s the point of being an older brother.”

“Why do I have the impression you’re taking this older brother shi—stuff a little too extremely?” I intercepted again, giving Sehun a curious look before looking back at Suho, who was still snickering. 

“That’s because he does,” Sehun scoffed, and the sound was oddly displeasing when it came out of his soft, supple lips. “He is naturally a loser in life so he is trying to recompense for it in here, against you and I.”

“Oh Sehun, I’m your older brother. Respect is the default mode in this relationship.” Suho recounted after taking a breath from laughing, and the two quickly fell into a bickering mode; where I was watching with high interest, my father and his wife with clear amusement. 

“Kim Suho, I’m your younger brother. Affection is the default mode in this relationship, not like I’m asking for affection or anything. But shouldn’t you be more lenient with me than this?”

“Hana is also my younger sister but she isn’t being as petty as you are being.”

“You’ve been giving her all of this older-brother-vibe-which-means-i’m-boss and she hadn’t yet seen the loser side in you. You just wait; she’ll be just as petty as I’m being when she realizes how much of a dork you truly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter