Putting the Pieces Together

Her Family

Another three months have passed since the fatal accident, and Hyeon has finally improved enough to discharged. During that time Erin was able to finish packing Marie's belongings, storing them, and shipping things for Hyeon to Jin. In between completing those tasks, she did a bunch of research on traveling with infants and parenting (she had filled a few notebooks). One of those notebooks is dedicated to information on Down syndrome, one is for parenting tips, another is for parenting a child with Down syndrome; and, finally, a detailed to-do list for when they are in South Korea.

Even with all of her preparations she still feels extremely unsure of herself. Hyeon is the first baby she has ever been around. Half of the time she doesn't even know what she's doing, but somehow she manages to do it all naturally. She often has to remind herself that she isn't alone in this; they already have a family waiting for them.

At the hospital, she spoke with the doctor and the nurses that were overseeing Hyeon. They all had positive commentary and pieces of advice to provide. Some of the nurses closest to Hyeon had a hard time letting him go but were happy nevertheless. Erin hugged and profusely thanked each one; the beginning of their journey couldn't have been successful without them.

Their first week out of the hospital together wasn't easy. Erin hadn't been used to waking up multiple times at night. She had been provided with a schedule from the nurses so she had anticipated the disrupted sleep; anticipating and actually going through the motions are two different things.

~

Completely zombified, Erin had to ask Jin to take care of the traveling details, again. He easily agreed to help her because he wants them home already.

“Okay, so our flight leaves at 6:35 pm,” a yawn breaks her question. “And-and arrives at 4:00 am?”

“Yes. Love, will you be okay? You sound out of it.”

Erin nods as if Jin can see her response. When she realizes she failed to answer verbally she rolls her eyes and slaps her own forehead. "Yes, I will be fine. I promise. I just can't wait to be home with all of you. You guys are going to fall in love with Hyeon." She smiles at the sleeping baby boy. "He's quite a catch."

Squealing can be heard on the other end. "I'm...We are super excited!"

Erin laughs. "Me too! Alright, I should go and get some sleep. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

"Yes, yes! Go! I love you! Good night." Jin blows a kiss through the phone.

She rolls her eyes again and smiles. "Good night. I love you!"

Erin tosses her cell phone onto the bed after ending the call. She then checks the baby monitor before flopping onto the soft surface. She lies there staring up at the ceiling while Marie's scent fills her nostrils with every inhale. Tears fill her eyes for the third time that day. Marie is gone, and when she looks into Hyeon's eyes she sees Marie. It kills her; she wipes away the tears.

They're leaving tomorrow and there's a high possibility they won't ever come back. Why would they? There's nothing here for them. Her life is back in South Korea. Hyeon's life will be there too. Jungkook is there.

Jungkook. Her heart clenches.

She thinks of him every day and wonders what things will be like between them now. Will he still feel the same? Will he be scared away? Does it even matter now? She has another life to worry about now and he comes before anything. Jungkook is too young for this type of lifestyle, she assumes. She's too young for this; nearly twenty-two with a specials needs child. She doesn't feel deterred in any way though. There has never been a clear image of her future, so it's not like the recent events have knocked her off course. But everything happens for a reason, right? But why this? She falls asleep trying to put the pieces together.

Today is the day the leave--for good. The day passes as usual and thankfully Hyeon is in an exceptionally great mood; all smiles and laughs. During his nap time, Erin does one more sweep of the mostly vacant premises; though sad, everything is as it should be.

Moments later Hyeon is wide-eyed and smiling once again. Erin secures him into the car seat after a feeding and diaper change. Soon after, the uber driver sends her a message announcing his arrival. She quickly packs the car with their luggage and themselves. The car rolls forward into traffic; she watches as the house shrinks away in the distance.

Getting through security check was tricky this time around. Having Hyeon aboard required her to bring extra carry-ons. And after what seems like an hour, they've finally passed through security check and are sitting in seats closest to the boarding gate. She takes this time to send a group text to Jin, Namjoon, Yoongi, Jimin, and Hoseok (who was informed of her current situation shortly after her call to Jin; they kept in constant contact since). She lets them know that things are off to a smooth beginning and assures them that everything will be fine. Everyone responds with positive, love-filled messages.

The arrival of their flight is announced through the intercom. It's time to board the plane. The passengers within Erin's boarding group are kind enough to let her and Hyeon board first. She's grateful for all of their gestures and hopes that they remain this sympathetic during their fifteen-hour flight.

~

Jungkook is lying on his right side facing the wall. He's trying to convince himself to make his body move. Instead, his brain chooses to remember how long Erin has been gone. Four months. He was not expecting for this much time to pass. Honestly, he wasn't sure of what to expect. He just really hopes that she comes back. Things had been left unresolved between them and he has been anxious and filled with regret since. Why does he always have such ty luck?

He sighs as he recounts, for the hundredth time, all of the missed opportunities. The one thing he is grateful for is the day that he and Erin were grouped together. There was this moment. No talking, just studying each other's features. She's is the most beautiful person has ever seen. To him, it was a wonderful moment, and he is absolutely sure that there was a connection. The void in his chest returns. He hates this feeling.
His phone buzzes. It's Jimin.

Hyung: Hey man...r u coming 2 the studio 2day?

Jungkook is aware that his misery is obvious, but he chooses not to talk about it.

Jungkook: Of course, hyung. See u there.

He places his phone screen-down on top of his chest. Another day of dance; it's not the same without Erin. He finally manages to get out of bed--body continuing on autopilot.

~

At the studio, Jungkook briefly greets Jimin and Hoseok before heading to the locker room. He notices their bright moods (odd). He wonders what could've turned their attitudes three-sixty.

Once inside, he goes straight to the back. He had moved into Erin's vacant cubby. It didn't feel right having it occupied by someone else. In his mind, he has been saving it for her just in case she returned. He places a hand at the top of the cubby and lowers his head, sighing. His heart feels like it's being into a black hole. Deep down he knows that hoping for her to return may be naive.

Jungkook is barely able to pull himself together enough to join everyone. He walks down the hallway with his head up this time. Just as he's about to enter the mirrored-room, he stops--his heart stops--he doesn't blink. There's a familiar figure talking to Jimin and Hoseok in the front of the room. They have the biggest smiles displayed. Is it...?

Jungkook wants to rush over to them not caring if he interrupts, but he's in shock and his body won't budge. C’mon! He tries to will his body to move. His feet feel like they're weighed down by drying cement blocks, the feeling so real it causes him to look down at his feet. What the…? He looks up again and the familiar figure is gone. His eyes grow wide with panic before he blinks and rubs harshly at them. When he opens his eyes again he sees that it's just Jimin and Hoseok talking excitedly to each other.

His heart drops, mouth hanging open and dry. Was it just his imagination?

Something passing by the windows gains his attention. In the state of disbelief, he stares out the window. He is able to get a good look at the face; freckles, black hair, dimples. It's her. He also notices that her emerald-eyes are focused down; he follows her gaze. There's an infant secured in a fabric sling upon her chest. Oh my god!

His heart drops even further as more questions fill his head. When finally able to move again, he walks back to the locker room. Feeling dizzy, he sits down on one of the benches. It's hard for him to breathe and, by this point, he is questioning his sanity. Did he really just see that or has his mind finally broken and decided has to manifest an alternate-universe-version of her? He's nearly hyperventilating.

Jungkook decides that he cannot stay here. He hurriedly gets up, almost falling from the sudden and nauseating change in height. He manages to grab his belongings from the cubby.

He bumps into Jimin at the doorway. When he notices his hyung, he can't stop the irrational anger that surfaces. "Was that Erin?"

Jimin is taken aback, but nods. "Yeah, it was.." His response is cut short.

"Have you been in contact with her this whole time," he asks, voice shaking from anger.

Jimin nods again. Guilt starts to fill him.

Jungkook is in awe. "Why...why didn't you tell me anything? I mean we text all the time and I damn well know everyone is aware of my feelings for her. It's obvious, isn't it? Hyung? Why?" He is practically shouting at Jimin. Deep down he knows none of this is actually Jimin's fault, he just can't wrap his mind around this. "I thought we were friends. Was I assuming the wrong thing?"

Jimin looks his hurt friend in the eyes. Both have tears threatening to fall and for different reasons. He opens his mouth to say something--closes it and opens it again. "Jungkook-ssi, we are friends. I am so sorry that I didn't tell you anything and I am sorry that I didn't think keeping this from you would affect you this much. I know that you had some interest in her, but didn't know that your feelings for her run this deep. Erin is my friend too. Her business is not mine to tell, but she's had a very rough couple of months." Tears fall from his eyes. "Please, just hold off on your anger and try to understand. I'm so sorry. Truly," he wipes his eyes and clears his throat. "Hoseok-hyung and I are going to see her after class today. Come with us, yeah?"

Stray tears are rolling down Jungkook’s pink tinted cheeks. His fists are still balled up.

"Jungkook-ssi, stay and put all of these emotions into your dancing. Then you, Taehyung-ssi, Hoseok-hyung, and I will go."

Jungkook's hands relax, his breathing begins to even out. "Okay." His voice is soft. "I have one more question though." He looks at Jimin.

"Go ahead," Jimin encourages.

"That baby she was carrying...is it hers?"

Jimin is reluctant to share any information, but the pain in Jungkook's eyes is almost too much to bear. "Yes. It's her…" he trails off trying to find the right words, "he's her son."

Jungkook's legs almost give out. "What? Her son?"

Jimin grabs one of Jungkook's hands and nods. "But that is something she should explain herself. Please, for right now just hold on a little longer. Everything will be put into place for you soon enough."

Jungkook lets go of Jimin's hand and walks back to her cubby to put his stuff back inside. " Alright, let's go."

The hour-long dance session passes slower than usual and Jungkook would be lying if he said that he wasn't distracted the entire time. After Jimin and Hoseok call an end to their night, Jungkook rushes back to the locker room completely forgetting about Taehyung.

"Yah, Jungkookie. What's up with you man? You were more disconnected than usual." Taehyung asks when he catches up with him.

All anger has left Jungkook. "Hyung...I-I saw her. She came here before class started. She's back--I couldn't move."

One of Taehyung's large hand is gently gripping onto Jungkook's shoulder. He doesn't say anything, just patiently waits for him to finish.

"Jimin-hyung stopped me from leaving. He told me the baby I saw her with is her son. I-I don't understand. She wasn't pregnant before she left. I-I.."

Taehyung isn't prepared for the news and doesn't know how to comfort him. Instead, he wants to figure out how to make it right. "Well, what are we going to do?"

Jungkook sniffles. "Jimin-hyung said that he and Hoseok-hyung are going to see her after this. He told me we should go with them...so we're going."

"Okay." Taehyung is wholeheartedly on board.

Both become quiet as they change and pack their belongings.

"Jungkookie, if Jimin-hyung knew why didn't he tell you? And if Hoseok-hyung knew why did he stay quiet too?" Taehyung is not upset by this, just confused as to why the both of them would keep something so important from Jungkook.

"Jimin-hyung said it wasn't for him to explain. And I understand it, no matter how much it hurt finding out this way." He's sitting on the bench and putting on his Timberlands.

Taehyung joins him. "Does this...affect your feelings for her," he asks carefully.

Jungkook had thought about this. He shakes his head. "No, it doesn't."

Taehyung claps his back. "Okay then. Let's go see her...them."

This immediately makes Jungkook nervous.

All four are walking to Jin's and Erin's apartment because Jungkook had asked them to. He needs some time to rid himself of as many nerves as possible. They all had agreed and spoke of everything on the way, taking care to avoid the topic of what they are about to face.

~

"Jin, I'm so nervous." Erin had been told of Jimin's and Hoseok's plan. She's pacing back and forth in the living room. "He's probably so angry, and he'll hate me for all of this. Is this absolutely necessary?"

Jin approaches her. "No one is angry at you or hates you. This is important for Jungkook and for you. Jimin told me how hurt Jungkook was and he does deserve an explanation, especially if he's affected this much. I have a feeling that everything will be alright, trust me." He looks her in the eyes and smiles.

Erin tries her best to bury any doubts and anxiety. "Okay, you're absolutely right." She looks Jin in his hopeful, brown eyes. "I've missed him so much and thought of him every day. I just didn't consider having this conversation with him." She smiles and laughs weakly. "I thought he would forget about me and move on."

Jin scoffs. "He would've been stupid to let that happen. But, you know what? He didn't forget about you. And it seems as though all of us had underestimated his feelings for you."

"Yeah, no kidding." She agrees.

There's a knock on the door; Erin and Jin look at each other. He kisses her forehead and offers another reassuring comment before walking to the door. He takes in a deep breath and opens it.

Erin watches nervously from the center of the living room as Jin talks to someone before letting them enter. Her attention is snapped away from the door when she hears footsteps scraping across the floor behind her. It's Yoongi (he must've decided to let Namjoon finish putting Hyeon to sleep).

Yoongi smiles at her as he closes the gap between them, noticing her pointing to the door. He places a hand on the small of her back and kisses her temple. "Everything will be fine," he whispers to her as he watches the guys file through the door.

Jimin walks in first, closely followed by Hoseok and a guy she's never seen before. Her breath gets caught in her chest as she watches Jungkook walk through the door. He's just as handsome as she remembers. Sadness and excitement simultaneously fill her. Tears are already threatening to escape.

Everyone is standing quietly in the middle of the living room not sure how to continue.

Jimin takes it upon himself to break the silence--guilt being the reason. "Erin, this is Taehyung-ssi. Hoseok-hyung's boyfriend and Jungkook-ssi's good friend. He joined us after you...left."

Erin and Taehyung bow to each other.

"It's wonderful to meet you Taehyung-ssi. You look like a ball of sunshine, just like Hoseok-ssi." She offers him a genuine smile, deep dimples on display.

Taehyung is marveled by her beauty. He smiles and bows again, clapping Jungkook on the back afterward.

Jungkook offers him a half-smile.

Jimin continues with a more careful tone this time. "Erin, I-I told Jungkook about your son."

Erin's eyes water again. She looks at Jungkook, his expression is unreadable. She opens to say something, but Jungkook beats her to the punch.

"I-I asked him though. I was walking back into the dance room when I noticed you." He instinctively steps closer. "I wanted to catch you but...I wasn't able to. I kept trying to move, but couldn't. You left so quickly. I saw you outside. You were focused on the baby." Another step closer. "I ran to the back to get my stuff. Jimin had followed me back there; I wasn't too nice to him. That's, uh, that's when I asked him about the baby; your son."

Erin is trying her best to maintain her composure; Jungkook looks hurt and confused. She nods. "He is my son." She looks at everyone then takes a deep breath and points to the cushions surrounding their low coffee table. "Let's all sit down."

Everyone settles around the table. Yoongi and Jimin sit next to each other, Hoseok and Taehyung are together, Jungkook is across from Erin, and Jin is next to her. Everyone's attention is suddenly redirected to the hallway that's in between the sliding doors of the porch and the living room. They watch as Namjoon slowly closes the door and quietly walks down the hallway. He soon reaches the group and settles into the empty space between Jungkook and Jin After they all greet each other, they revert their attention back to Erin.

She reddens and continues. "Well, most of the occupants in this room know what happened, but I will speak of the events that took place again." She looks at Taehyung first and then Jungkook. Her eyes water as she continues with a shaky voice.

"Jungkook, there aren't enough words to properly express how I feel. However, I do sincerely apologize for leaving the way I did and for not reaching out to you. I don't know if I will ever be able to make up for that." She takes a deep breath. "I told everyone not to say anything because talking about it made everything too real and, also, I had wanted it to come from me if you and I ever had the chance of meeting again." Tears are now free-falling. She wipes them away as best as she can.

"Uhm, the day I left I had gotten a call from my cousin Marie's boyfriend, Barry. He had told me she'd been in a terrible car accident--it was critical. I took the next flight out. When I arrived at the hospital in Cincinnati, which is where I'm from, Marie was lying unconscious in a hospital bed hooked up to so many machines. Barry told me about the distracted driver who sped through a green light, Marie's random sleeping habit, and the

emergency cesarean. He told me that he could not and did not want to deal with her or the baby. He left everything on me; the responsibility to decide Marie's and Hyeon's fate," she smiles, "the guys and I chose that name."

Her smile falls as she looks at Jungkook, whose eyes are watering, then to everyone else. They are quiet and respectfully waiting for her to finish.

"It took one month for Marie to deteriorate completely. It took Hyeon three additional months to gain his strength. His full name is Hyeon Mariano Lee; he was two months premature. And he has Down syndrome." She looks at Jungkook again, his face still unreadable. "Uh, Marie had gotten pregnant at an age that posed a lot of risks--she never told me." Erin releases a shaky breath, still looking at Jungkook and wondering what he's thinking.

A long moment of silence passes before someone speaks up. "Erin, I am so sorry that you had to deal with that." Everyone's attention falls onto Jungkook. He reaches across the table to grab her hand, looking at their joined hands before continuing. "You are such a strong woman and I can tell that you are full of love. I can only imagine what you went through. You made the right choice though. And Hyeon is lucky to have you, to have all you who are committed to him." He knows that they are currently surrounded by a lot of people, but all of these people are dear to them. "Honestly, these last four months without you felt like torture. Watching you walk out that door made me realize how deep my feelings for you run. Just so you know, none of this changes how I feel about you. If anything it made my feelings stronger. Knowing all that you've been through, how selfless you are, and just, god--you are so beautiful. If that's even appropriate to say right now."

Erin chokes out a combination of a laugh and a cry. Her face feels hot. "Yeah, it's okay. But really? Is that honestly how you feel?"

Jungkook smiles and nods as he gives her hand a squeeze.

She laughs now, finally feeling relieved of any burdens. "You know I couldn't ever figure you out. You have a great poker-face."

Jungkook laughs too. "What? Well, it was either that or freak out every time I saw you."

They are surrounded by their own bubble, laughing and unaware of everyone's absence. Erin brings her other hand to the table, wanting Jungkook to grab a hold of it; he does.

"This is nice." He admits in a soft tone.

Erin agrees by nodding her head. "You know, Jungkook, I thought of you every day. The look on your face when I left just...Jungkook, I really am so sorry." She looks at him. "Can I ever make up for it?"

His features change. There's a hint of anguish. "Don't ever leave me again," he says, voice low.

She blushes harshly. "Okay. I promise I won't ever leave you again."

They still don't notice the absence or the fact that they are being watched by eager eyes.

Jungkook brings one of his hands to Erin's cheek. They lock eyes for a moment, then he leans in to kiss her. She meets him halfway, closing the gap.

For the onlookers, this whole thing seems to be happening in slow motion and they are dying on the inside.

Their first kiss is brief and soft. After a moment, they pull back to assess each other, looking into each others' eyes. They let this feeling float around them and through them--it feels right. They lean back in and kiss again, quickly finding a rhythm.

A wave of clapping and ‘whooping' from the kitchen snaps them out of their bubble. They pull back and look toward the noise. They both become embarrassed and try to hide their faces. Suddenly, six bodies are running toward them. The group splits and pile on top of both of them. Even though this scene looks hectic, everyone is sure to keep their voices down. They didn't want to wake Hyeon.

The rest of the night is spent on food and drinks around the table, conversations remaining light and fun. Of course, the new couple remains the center of attention for most of the night.

It's around midnight when the guys decide it's time to leave. Erin says goodbye to everyone and tells them to text her when they get home-- she and Jungkook linger behind.

“Thank you for coming here tonight, Jungkook. I am so grateful that we were able to talk about everything and reach a mutual decision.”

He smiles. “You know, you always speak so formally.”

She playfully slaps him on his shoulder. "Pfft. Yeah, I know. It's a hard habit to break when you're self-taught."

He grabs her cheek and rubs his thumb in a back-and-forth motion. "I know. I like it though, and I like you." He still can't believe this is happening. "I'm grateful too. And I know this is just the beginning; we have a lot more bridges to cross. I'll wait for you to let me know when it's time to cross them."

Erin understands what Jungkook is saying. "Okay." She leans forward and onto the tips of her toes, brings her lips to his, and they connect.

He kisses her back softly and sweetly before pulling away to leave. He promises to text her as soon as he arrives at his house.

She closes the door behind him and slides down to the floor, burying her face into her knees in an attempt to prevent herself from squealing out loud. It has finally happened. For the first time in four months, Erin is truly happy.

She eventually gets up from the floor and walks to her room, entering quietly. She sits in her bed and watches her son sleep--so peaceful. Her phone vibrates. It's Jungkook.

Jungkook: I’m home : )

Butterflies assault her stomach and it feels like she's in high school again.

Erin: Okay. Good night! : ) ~zzz~

Jungkook: Good night, Erin. : *

She stares at his last message and blushes before locking her phone and placing it on the charger. For the first time in a long time, Erin is able to fall asleep with ease.