Airports

Her Family

This is her first summer with Marie and Erin has finally learned how to enjoy life. She has had zero contact with her mother but concludes that it is for the best. Marie is disappointed with Michelle, naturally, but she focuses on Erin as much as possible. She knows what the teen had to endure all those years. The two have become thick as thieves, nearly inseparable even with the outstanding gap in age. They have physical similarities and a surprising amount of common interests. Marie ensures that Erin socializes properly and even assisted with securing a job for her at the local bookstore. Though Erin isn't suffering financially, they both agree that working will instill meaningful qualities within her.

As a reward for Erin’s progress, Marie has arranged for Jin to fly in and stay with them for one week. She has heard so much about Jin and was even able to interact with him during one of Erin’s and his weekly video calls. She instantly loved him. Who wouldn’t? After all, he has been Erin’s rock for the last eight years.

Three weeks into her summer routine, Erin practically skips to her job. Today has started like any other day except the weather is the ideal summer weather and, oddly enough, she has a short shift today with this weekend off. She and Marie had decided on a beach getaway when she received her schedule earlier that week. Halfway through her shift, she receives a silly message from Jin. She is allowed a five-minute break even though she has a shortened shift today, so she spends it messaging with Jin. He is uncharacteristically speedy with his replies given the thirteen hour time difference (it's roughly 2:15 a.m. in South Korea). Erin laughs to herself. She wonders what must be so important for him to forgo his beauty sleep. She shrugs off the thought and finishes the remainder of her shift.

The plan was for Marie to pick Erin up after her shift and drive straight to the beach. But something must have thrown Marie off track because she's twenty minutes late, very much unlike her. At this point, Erin gives up pacing the sidewalk and opts for a metal chair outside of the bookstore. She's about to prepare herself for disappointment when Marie's car comes to a halt at the curb. Erin shoots up from the seat and is immediately confused when she watches a tall, lean male exit from the back of the car. He has a large smile splayed across his face as he approaches her in what feels like slow motion. She tilts her head to the side. Why does he look so familiar? Then it clicks. It’s Jin. Her breath hitches right before she runs the rest of the way to him. They are hugging each other so tightly and, before she knew it, tears are falling down her cheeks. After soaking his shirt with her tears, she pulls back to get a good look at him. He is striking! She grabs his face and squishes his cheeks.

“I love you.” That's all she could say to her best friend of now nine years.

Jin kisses her forehead. “I love you too.”

The trio spends the next week staying up late sharing stories, laughing, and cooking together. Erin feels like this is a dream that’s ending too quickly. She does her best to keep her anxiety under control because she finally knows what it’s like to have her best friend and now she can’t possibly live without that feeling. Fortunately, Jin doesn’t have to be told how she felt. He knows her well and, frankly, he feels the same. They spend their last night snuggling, planning their future, and crying.

When the day comes to take him to the airport, Marie gives Erin the car keys and waves them off (she didn’t want to intrude on their emotional goodbyes). Erin walks with Jin to his gate. Both having heavy hearts.

"Erin, love, you better come to see me." Jin sniffles as he looks down to their joined hands.

"I will come to visit you as soon as I can. I already miss you."

Jin nods and pulls her in for one last tight hug. They stay embraced until his boarding flight is announced. She watches half of her heart walk away to board his flight and, to put salt to her own wound, she stays to watch the plane take off.

~~

Another three years come and go, and Erin is finally able to hold up her end of their promise. She manages to work out a deal with her boss and is able to secure a plane ticket to South Korea. Her flight is four days away and she and Jin couldn’t be more excited. Erin does have one worry though. What if she doesn’t want to come back?

Realistically, she could stay in South Korea if she were to love it that much. The things causing her worry is anxiety and possible guilt. It is quite silly of her to worry about leaving her cousin alone because she been in a steady relationship for the last two years and she hasn’t seen her so happy. Erin had spoken with Marie about this trip many times and every time Marie assures her that everything will be okay if she decides to stay. They can email and video call as often as they need to regardless of the time difference.

Today is the day that may change Erin’s life. Her flight to South Korea is in three hours and she is slightly panicking. Marie offers her some encouraging words and assures her that any decision is the right decision as long as she is truly happy. Erin manages to calm down and circles the house one last time to make sure she isn’t forgetting anything.

They make it to the airport two and a half hours early. Marie walks Erin to her gate, just as Erin had done for Jin. They spend the next hour and forty-five minutes talking and laughing. They had already done a majority of crying last night and on the way to the airport.

It's time for Erin to board her flight. Marie watches her walk away and waves her off as she looks back one last time. Erin is supposed to be gone for just one month but, in her heart, Marie knows that Erin won't come back. She doesn't stay to watch the plane take off; it would only make it worse.

~~

Jin is waiting for Erin at the airport (albeit an hour early), his excitement is to blame. He wants to make this moment special, so dragged along his boyfriend, Namjoon, and his best friend, Yoongi. Jin made a welcome-banner for his best friend to which he forced the guys to hold.

“Jinnie-hyung, don’t you think this is a bit much?”

Jin feigns a shocked expression as he places a hand to his chest. "Namjoon! There is no such thing as 'too much' for my best friend of eleven years!"

Yoongi was a bit taken aback by this information. "Eleven years? Holy ! Hyung, how is that even possible? A long-distance relationship of any kind is difficult. Isn't it?"

Jin smiles. "One would assume that."

A plane lands and Jin is suddenly distracted. "I think that's her plane!" He panics and jumps in place. "Quick, hold up the sign!"

Namjoon and Yoongi hold up the sign as best as they can. There's a significant height difference between them. They would probably deny this if anyone were to ask, but they, too, were a bit excited. Jin's emotions are contagious. What makes this girl so special anyway?

Jin's phone chimes. It's a message from Erin saying the plane had landed and she's about to exit. He's squealing and trying his best not to run to the gate. It wouldn't be fair to block anyone.

Erin steps out of the plane with her carry-on bag slung over her shoulder. She tries her best not to push anyone in front of her, instead, she waits for an opening. She steps around a few people and rushes to the entrance. It only takes a nano-second to spot Jin.

“Jin-oppa!” She pauses for a moment to wave her arms above her head. That's when she notices the large sign being held up by two guys.

Jin smiles wide. “Erin-ssi!”

They run to each other. Erin tosses her bag to the floor and with her short legs, she jumps into Jin's arms. Her legs reflexively wrap around his waist. The happiness is overwhelming, they are crying and sniffling. They are highly aware that they probably don't look attractive, but they don't care. Jin puts Erin down and at that moment Namjoon and Yoongi notice their stark height difference. Yoongi smirks, he's glad to finally be taller than two people.

"Erin-ssi, this is my boyfriend, Kim Namjoon. He's younger than you," He says pointing to the taller of the two.

“Yes! I remember him from pictures.” Erin bows. “Hello, Namjoon-ssi! It’s great to finally meet you.”

Namjoon smiles and bows in return.

Jin then points to the remaining man. "This is Min Yoongi, he's older than you. He is Namjoon's best friend and, also, a good friend of mine."

Erin is beaming from pure joy at this point. "Hello, Yoongi-oppa! It's wonderful to meet you!" She grabs her bag off the floor. "I hope we can all become good friends too!"

Yoongi smiles and bows. He then hands her the personalized banner. "I believe this belongs to you."

She smiles and bows once more before grabbing the banner from Yoongi. "Thank you, Yoongi! Jin-oppa, you just couldn't help yourself could you?"

Namjoon laughs. “I tried to talk him out of it.”

Jin rolls his eyes. "Whatever. Don't start ganging up on me now."

The four laugh as they head over to baggage claim.