Broken and Unwanted

Her Family

There are people who believe that everything in life happens for a reason. Erin, however, is skeptical. That belief is often used as a positive piece of advice. She is the product of a toxic and broken home. What is the reason for her lying awake at night questioning the purpose of her existence?

Ever since Erin can remember, her parents have always been on opposing teams. They fight about everything and, at this point, she is surprised that they haven't run out of things to argue about. It has been twelve years (considering her memories start from the age of three) of screaming matches. Neither one forgot to throw in hurtful obscenities. Objects were shattered against every possible surface and doors were always slammed. There's was one point in time when Erin had feared for her mother safety. Eventually, she chose isolation. Her mother's cries often filled her room and kept her awake far too late. Most nights ended this way.

It finally happens. Erin's father presents her mother with divorce papers on her birthday. Shockingly enough her mother is, happy? With a strained view from the top of the stairs, Erin thinks her mother might be smiling. She can't remember a time when she's seen her mother smile. And wow, her mother has nice teeth. Erin mentally files this moment in her close-enough-to-happy folder, which is lacking in comparison to other her mental folders. After a few moments of silence, her mother hurriedly signs the stack of papers and slides them across the table to her father. They continue their discussion in a calm, neutral manner. Another moment added into the folder. Erin leans her head closer to the railing and channels all of her focus to her right ear.

"I am pleased that this is one thing we can finally agree on. I have the financial means to propel our case forward so this matter will be dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible." Her dad's voice is naturally cold and detached. "And of course I will amend the documents pertaining to Erin's trust. She will need access to her money much sooner than was originally anticipated."

Her mother nods along with her father's words. "Yes. Of course, Jeremy. Throw in a couple thousand more. We owe her something for keeping her hostage to a war zone."

Erin waits at the top step for a few minutes more, but it seems as though their conversation is over. A chair scrapes across the floor. The sounds of shuffling papers seem loud in the silence. A bag zips closed before footsteps are nearing the staircase. Not wanting to get caught, Erin quickly retreats to her room.

It is now midnight and her father is long gone. After gathering what little belongings he had left he approached her bedroom door and told her to take care of herself. He then pressed his lips together, nodded, and walked away. He never turned around or told her he loved her.

Erin couldn't sleep, as per usual. She does the only thing she could do to bring herself solace. She messages her friend of five years, Jin. She met Jin in an online chatroom almost six years ago while beginning her studies of the Korean language (it was, and still is, her dream to visit South Korea). Their chats started out with basic small talk. Jin began tutoring her and, eventually, it blossomed into a beautiful friendship. She has always trusted and confided in him.

Even though Jin is male, there has always been a maternal way about him. His language is always full of love and positivity, and he cares for her mentally and emotionally. There have been times where he has sent her care packages with cute, encouraging notes at the top for her to read. And, of course, he sends along a few pictures of himself, his beauty is intimidating. Erin has reciprocated by sending packages containing some of her favorite items and pictures of herself as well. She had been nervous about sending her first package because, in comparison to Jin, her looks are mediocre. Being the amazing friend he is, Jin expressed his appreciation by telling her about how much he brags about his beautiful, American friend. He never forgot to add how jealous they all became.

Jin makes her whole.

~~

It has been three years since Erin's father left; since things have become quiet. She can finally hear herself think and most days thinking causes her trouble. Anxiety developed from years of witnessing war from the sidelines. She had become accustomed to isolating herself and confiding in Jin. This left her relationship with her mother estranged. As far as she knows her mother's priorities include work and building a new social life. Not wanting to interfere with her mother's blossoming life, she does her best to remain invisible. Erin is unaware of her mother's true feelings.

Her mother burst into her room. “Erin, we need to talk.”

Erin sits up quickly and clears , waiting.

Her mother is unmoving. "I'm sending you to my cousin, Marie. I can't deal with this anymore. There is no point for you to stay here if you're always locked away in this room. Your trust fund is now available and Marie is prepared to take you in, start packing. There will be a car ready for you in the morning. The driver will have a copy of the detailed itinerary I have written out for you."

Unfortunately, Erin isn't granted the opportunity to respond before her door is slammed shut. The information begins to settle into her mind. It then cements into her heart as her body switches to autopilot. She packs her most prized possessions into duffel bags and suitcases. To no surprise, the majority of her stuff pertains to Jin. The rest is clothing, shoes, and her laptop.

The sun rises too quickly the next morning and Erin has yet to sleep. She and Jin had been messaging all night and, apparently, all morning. She checks the time on her cell phone, it's a quarter-to-seven in the morning. No time to sleep now. She rolls out of bed to get ready. An hour later she's done and waiting on the front porch with her bags piled next to her. Her mom isn't home to say goodbye. There was a note left instead.

Safe travels, Erin.

-Michelle.