The End Is A Beginning

Melancholia: The Act of Disappearing
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mother's pendant safe around your neck. Check.

Bank account closed and you quit your part-time job.

Check.

A goodbye note sent to your beloved cousin.

Check.

 

Everything was in motion for Seokjin that morning. He was on his way to die.


 

It was a quiet morning. A drizzle splashed over the cold concrete, and the leaves dispersed from the branches, burning to crisp orange and crimson hues. The colours were warm, but for Jin, he lost himself in a world of monochrome. He could not explain the dense water that pressed over his thoughts. Dissonance and muffled sound. Endlessness and infinity--kind of like a circle.

      Yeah, that was how he could explain it all. A circle. His life rotated like a circle, without a beginning or an end. His empty emotions never ended. But he desired to end it today. It was the perfect day to disappear, to vanish from existence. All those years of loneliness and pain...It did not matter now. Before he entered his final year of school, he had to demolish the circle of life.

    People might miss him. Maybe they would not. He did not care either way.

Cars zoomed passed, people heading to work. A cold wind whistled among trees and empty alleyways. In the distance, the murmurs of the river beckoned him.

    He could almost understand what ot tried to say, a silent lullaby, a symphony of death.

    Come and join me. You won't have to suffer any longer…

He blinked. Could rivers even talk? Who cared anyways, the long bridge loomed ahead, all metal spires and concrete. The river churned and wailed before, large grey waves crashing and rolling, over and over. Endless.

    Jin gulped as he stared down the bridge. His knuckles gripped the pier, white to blue. From this height, the river resembled a giant basilisk, waiting to devour him. But surely this was the only answer to his misery, right? This was his only chance to end his struggles. It only took one leap of faith. One jump. The pain would be temporary, just a drawling minute until he found heavenly release.

    He sighed as he lifted himself over the ledge, arms wide open, as if he was a bird ready to fly.

    He would jump. He had to jump. It would put a stop to his suffering. But his feet, why would they not move? And his ears, they sought after that sorrowful tune. A violin sobbing in the wind. The melody was louder than the river’s voice. It pierced into his heart and flooded within the depths of his soul.

It spoke to him on an ent

Please log in to read the full chapter