The Beginning of the Beginning

Things that are Golden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Can you remind me again why I'm doing you a favour?"

That's what Haseul said as soon as the door opened to Sooyoung's condo unit. She's been here before, whenever she and Jinsol needed to study for a difficult exam, but didn't really stay long enough to know there's someone else living here with her.

She dropped her bag filled with clothes just before the sofa and sat down, and watched Sooyoung multitask brushing her teeth and applying eye liner in front of a mirror.

After the taller girl spat out the toothpaste from and gargled tap water to rinse the inside, she walked into her room. Haseul heard zipping sounds, possibly coming from her friend's bag.

"Because you ask me to buy you coffee almost every day when there's classes..?" Sooyoung answers from the room, but Haseul made sure the groan she released would be heard by her recipient. 

The loud clacking of Sooyoung's heels echoed as she walked out of the room and shut it. "I'm leaving in a few. Kahei will pick me up." She sits beside her friend, releasing a sigh of relief from the stress of rushing to prepare. "You know her, right?"

"Yeah, your girlfriend." Haseul responds. "Why are you taking a vacation with her to a far place?"

"Because we don't want you and Jinsol to tag along with us wherever we go." Says Sooyoung, grinning slightly as if hinting something. 

Who can blame her two friends, though? The three have been attending the same classes ever since high school, so the other two have grown pretty much attached to the most mature one. And whenever Sooyoung was away, Haseul and Jinsol would find a way to trail behind her.

'Ah, they must have planned to do something more than dates, then.' That was Haseul's thought as soon as she noticed the way her friend's eyes glimmered. 

"Besides, it's only for a week." Sooyoung continues, as she glanced up the clock. "You can use my room as long as you don't make a mess there. And if you think you're not going to behave well, sleep here on the sofa."

It made Haseul nod, knowing she probably won't even do much in here. She's sure Jinsol won't come over either, since her family went overseas for a trip.

All she knows is that she'll eat and sleep here for the rest of the week, and as soon as Sooyoung comes back, she'll gather some clothes and necessities from her own dorm and visit her family in Gyeong-gi. 

A week probably won't hurt; she still has her phone anyway.

"Anything else to add?" Asked Haseul, knowing that Sooyoung still had a lot to command her. Her friend had always been like that anyway, whenever she and Jinsol was here in her unit.

Sooyoung placed a hand on her chin, thinking if she had missed anything. After a short while, she snapped her hand and sat up straight. 

"I almost forgot!" Sooyoung snaps again. "The main reason why I wanted you to stay here for the week is to make sure Jungeun gets home before nine. Or that she's eating well and not doing bad things in the morning."

Haseul squints her eyes, confused. "Jungeun..?"

"My cousin, you fool." Sooyoung rolls her eyes. "You know her, right? The tall kid with long, brown hair who always catches us during lunch break to ask me some coins for soda?"

The other girl just slowly nodded, even though she honestly don't recall anyone who did that to Sooyoung. She tried to recall back to the earliest memories she spent with Sooyoung, but even the name didn't ring a bell.

"Anyway, she's friendly so you don't have to be intimidated with her. Kinda softie, if you ask me. Or maybe it's because we've known each other since birth." With one last glance at the clock, she stands up and puts her phone in her pocket. "Kahei will be at the lobby any minute now. I better get going."

"Take care, Soo." Haseul calls out, as Sooyoung retrieved her luggage from her room. "Tell Kahei I said hi."

She heard the wheels of the luggage roll against the floor. Haseul had the initiative to open the door for Sooyoung, so that she didn't have to stop in her tracks.

"Just text me if you need help on anything, or if you hear that Jungeun's misbehaving."

"Sure, sure." Haseul says before her friend walks down the hall to the elevator. Sooyoung gave one last wave to Haseul before turning around completely, and Haseul took it as a sign to go back inside.

It was currently past twelve noon. If she takes a nap, she'd surely hear Jungeun knocking from the outside...

Right?

 

---

 

Haseul woke up on Sooyoung's bed.

She was so sure that she slept on the sofa, just so she could hear Jungeun knocking on the door when she arrives. But whatever, she probably woke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter