The Great Escape

How Could I Fall for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How could you let this happen?" Taeyeon is incredibly irritated and half-yelling at the two terrified girls sitting before her. "How could she let this happen to her? She's our best student!" She slams a hand onto her desk.

"Taeyeon," BoA says quietly, placing a hand comfortingly on the anguished woman's arm. "It'll be okay."

"Okay?" Taeyeon's tone rises high enough to break through the roof. "Does this look okay to you, BoA-nim?"

Taeyeon's hand waves frantically at the rest of Irene's squad. Wendy and Yeri are plastered to their chairs, unmoving, waiting for Taeyeon's wrath to wrap around their throats.

"I said, Taeyeon," BoA's quiet voice turns into a warning, "that it will be okay. Irene's kidnapping is not their fault. Wendy and Yeri successfully helped four employees escape. The diamonds are all in the vault. Don't blame them for something out of their control. You're their senior. Act like it."

Taeyeon scowls and crosses her arms before taking a seat, muttering to herself, "Seulgi stole Irene."

"What was that?" BoA whips her head to glare at her subordinate.

"Nothing," Taeyeon says quickly, settling down.

BoA gives her a doubtful look and turns her attention back to Wendy and Yeri.

"BoA-nim?" Yeri asks hesitantly.

"Yeri, it's okay," BoA says, glaring again at Taeyeon. "This is neither your fault nor is it Wendy's. You two did your best."

"Ah... okay." Yeri looks unsure. Wendy looks sideways at the younger girl, one eyebrow raised. Yeri avoids eye contact.

"We will send out everyone we can," BoA promises, pacing the office space. "We will get Irene back, as soon as possible. I want all the best agents searching for her. Bring Irene back home."

Taeyeon nods, mouth still contorting in a frown. She starts typing furiously on her laptop and presses her earpiece, taking a call.

"You're dismissed." BoA waves Wendy and Yeri off.

As soon as the two exit the room, Wendy grabs Yeri by the arm.

"What do you know?" Wendy asks.

"W-what do you mean?" Yeri gives Wendy a reproachful look. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Cut the crap, Yerim. What was that back in the office? You were being weird, and I know it."

"I'm fine, Wendy unnie. You're overanalyzing me." Yeri crosses her fingers behind her back.

Wendy looks deep into Yeri's eyes before deciding to drop the topic. "Fine, Yeri. Let's just find Irene."

 

It's been three days since Irene's disappearance. Yeri is leaving her a message for what feels like the fiftieth time, and Wendy's in the next room over, probably wracking her brain for ideas.

"Irene? You need to come back! What are you up to, unnie? Everyone is looking for you! I know you probably with... with... that girl, but you need to come home. Now. Please respond. We are all worried." Yeri turns her phone off and brings her fingers back to the keyboard. 

Hey Joy,
Seriously? I didn't know that. You're so interesting. You know so much! I hope Irene gives me my stripes soon. She's still missing. You won't tell me anything, but I know you know. Don't try to deny it. Have you tried any new video games lately? You should play them with me. Maybe we will see each other again. I haven't seen you in so long, and I miss you.

Love,
Yeri

Yeri hits send and closes her laptop. Her face feels warm from typing those last couple of sentences. She knows Joy will send her a response soon, and she anxiously waits for a reply. She has been emailing Joy nonstop since exchanging emails and numbers with the girl at Broken Glass. Emailing is slightly old-fashioned, but Yeri likes how it feels... romantic. There's some delicate sort of fuzziness that fills her chest up to the brim when receiving an email from Joy. Yeri can see the effort that Joy has poured into her sentences. Joy doesn't send just a lackluster few words. Yeri wants to frame every email on her wall to read before bed. Yeri props her chin up on her elbow, daydreaming about the criminal girl she's fallen for. Yeri's phone suddenly pings with a new email notification, and she quickly flips open the laptop.

Dearest Yeri,

You think I'm interesting, but really, you're the interesting one. I'm not as smart as you. You'll definitely get your stripes soon, okay? Be patient. I know you will get your stripes. Maybe I do know a thing or two about your team leader, but I'm not at the liberty to say. If I don't give you any details, you might keep talking to me in the hopes that I do. I don't ever want you to stop talking to me. I have tried some new video games, actually. I just tried out this new zombie shooter. We'll play it next time. Do you really miss me? I miss you too. You're really pretty, you know that? I want to hear your voice again. Your voice reminds me of an angel. Not necessarily because you're pretty and angelic (which you are), but because you make me feel safe and secure. Doesn't that sound funny? When I hear your voice, it's like I'm wrapped in a blanket of protection and reassurance. It's the only reassurance I need. I just like to know you're with me.

Waiting to see you again,
Joy

P.S Here is one of Shakespeare's sonnets. The sonnet reminds me of you. I'm not actually very artistic and poetic, but you make me want to be. It's the only way to do your beautiful soul justice. When I look at you, I see the sun, so I hope you can understand how I feel through Shakespeare's words.

With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Yeri feels her chest swell with affection. She's overwhelmed and can't find an outlet except to bury her face in her pillow and hug it, imagining if the tall, charming girl that's got Yeri's heart in knots was here beside her. The thought is comforting, and Yeri feels one knot come undone. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter