Prelude

If I Die

Matsui Ami and Yabuki Nako were inseparable since birth - since Nako was only nine days older than you. Doing everything from going to school to just laying on the couch. Everything they did, they did together. To the point that some people thought it was one soul in two bodies or to the point that the two were a couple. The two faced many things together and could easily solve any problem that came across them, except for a common enemy called death. 

Nako, at the age of 7, was diagnosed with leukemia. However, this never stopped them but perhaps the reason why they were so close was because they were afraid of losing one another. Despite having leukemia, Nako didn't let it affect her at school and acted as if there was nothing wrong. Even during treatments she never put anything aside. 

Unlike normal sleepovers, sometimes you would spend the night with Nako at the hospital. Even though-- countless times-- many people befriended her because of pity, she ignored them as she hated being pitied. She made you shoo them away, using her nine days older than you card, and if that didn't work than her cancer card did, but not always.

The cancer card really never worked on you that much but it did work on your older sister and her friends. They babied her -- and you--  to no end, but did anything for Nako, though it made you feel jealous. Sasshi always gave you her attention --sometimes a little to much-- by kissing you all over your face. When you and Nako were alone, she teased that you and Sasshi would get married someday. Jurina on the other hand, always denied it. 

Everything was great, until she couldn't endure the pain anymore and was hospitalized. Of course you visited her everyday but things started to change. On the days you were alone at school it became really lonely for you, but you couldn't tell Nako because she'd blame herself. She sometimes pushed you away, afraid that she left you alone, afraid that she held you back. However, you counterred it when you said you loved her being your only friend. 

A couple of weeks before the end of junior high something didn't feel right to you. You told your teacher you weren't feeling well, being a Matsui had it's perks as she allowed you to go home. Instead of going home, however, you went to the hospital. The past couple of days Nako has been pretty tired so it wasn't a surprise when you found her asleep when you walked in. You sat next to her with your hands held together resting on your lap and before you knew it, tears were streaming out from your eyes. Everything you previously held in exploded. It wasn't only hard on Nako but it was hard on you, but you always kept it from her. 

"Why are you crying?" Nako sat up.

"Why else would I be crying?" You laughed as Nako patted the spot on the bed for you to sit.

"You're crying because of me right?" you hesitantly nodded. "I know I'm really that pretty!" you laughed, lightly slapped her and hugged her.

"What am I going to do without you?"

"Don't say that," Nako whinned and started crying as well. 

"Do you ever wonder what death is like?" 

"Of course I do, the entrence is all white and everyone has their own house and their neighbors are the people they are barried next to, a train either takes you to heaven or hell, everything you can ever think of doing is possible there."

"Like flying?" 

"Maybe."

"How do you know this Nako-chan?" 

"If I'm honest I dreamt about it."

"That doesn't mean it is real." 

"No, but it's nice to dream," she turned to face you and held both of your hands with her own. "Promise me you won't follow me, that you will only die when you are old and ugly."

"Then why do you get to die when you are young and pretty?" you laughed.

"It's my time, I'm actually amazed that I laste this long."

"Don't say that!"

"I've been really tired lately, not my usual self. I'm afraid I have to go but can you grant me one wish?"

"Wish?"

"I'm 15 and I never had my first kiss."

"Na-Nako-chan?!"

"You have your life to kiss other people and you probably had your first kiss with Sasshi-san," she pouted. "I'm going to die after all." 

"Sasshi-chan never kissed me on the lips."

"So shut-up and kiss me, I'm dying right now," Nako whispered as she pulled your blouse collar towards her.

The cancer card usually never affected you but this time it couldn't be helped. For someone who was only 15 she was obviously really mature, maybe because she faced death and always seemed like the next day was her last. Despite being shorter than you, you couldn't help but feel small when she was around with all the power she held in her small body. Without knowing it, you both started to lean towards each other slowly closeing your eyes when your lips touched. A light kiss became a passonate one. Is it okay to be doing this? To be kissing your bestfriend like this? To be selfish and continue kissing like this? It didn't last that long when someone opened the door and you guys pulled away immediately. 

"Oi, are we interrupting? No? Okay," Jurina plopped herself on the couch followed by the other Kami7 members.