Letting In, Letting Out

This is My Love

Their moment of introduction broke when Gunta came running up to her. Touching her pants with his sticky hands he asked, “More?”

“Gunta, no,” Sehun said. “No more.”

Following, Moowon came up to her. Spreading out his hands for her to see he said, “Wash hand?”

“Ok,” Namjoo turned to head inside with a hand touching the back of her son’s head affectionately. Then she looked back and extended a hand, “Gunta, you want to come?”

Without answering he bolted up to her loudly. Joining Moowon she led them inside to the bathroom to clean their faces and wash their hands. Gunta ran up to his father when they walked out. Following Namjoo watched Gunta show off his now clean hands.

“Mommy?” Moowon touched her hand. “I have fun today.”

“You did, huh?” she asked and ruffled his hair with a smile. “That’s good.”

“Mommy, daddy go home?” he wondered as she enveloped his hand into hers.

“Not today,” Namjoo replied. “Say goodbye to your friend.”

Moowon waved to Gunta as they passed.

“Flend!” Gunta shouted. It took only a second for him to chase them out and grab Moowon’s hand.

“Sorry,” Sehun apologized. “Come on, Gunta.”

He failed to reach for Gunta’s hand as he swiveled away tucking his tiny hand against his chest. “Go howm wid flend.”

“Ah…you want to come home with us?” Namjoo asked.

Gunta nodded a loud, “Yes!”

Moowon looked up at her for an answer. Instead, she laughed because Gunta was so cute. “You have to ask your daddy first.”

This time Gunta tilted his head back to look at his father. “Not today.” Sehun shook his head. Gunta turned to look at her for help.

To smooth out the situation, Namjoo reached into her bag and pulled out a popsicle. Leaning down to talk to Gunta, “Another day, ok? I promise. Take this home first. You can see Moowon tomorrow.”

Gunta clutched the popsicle closely to his body and nodded. Releasing Moowon he let his dad lift him up.

“Bye,” Namjoo called out. She and Moowon waved to Gunta as they headed toward her car.

◊◊◊◊◊

“Like Moowonie, like Moowonie mommy.” Gunta counted out with his fingers. “Like daddy. Like Moowonie, like Moowonie mommy.”

Glancing at him through the mirror Sehun grinned. Gunta was still hugging the popsicle against his body. His little feet kicking at every beat. His eyes searching the scenery they were passing.

Sehun thought about the little boy earlier. Moowon laughing gleefully and running toward his mom. Holding her hand, looking up at her like she was his entire world. Would Gunta be like that if his mother was still alive?

Gunta obediently toddled by his side into the building. Today someone else was waiting in front of his apartment. Not Joomi but his heavyset mother. Her short hair bounced as she turned to look at him.

“My baby!” his mother shouted opening her arms for Gunta to run into. They embraced and he watched his mother sway Gunta in his arms with love. “Oh, what is this?” she asked when she discovered his popsicle.

“Flend mommy gave,” Gunta answered.

“His friend’s mom gave it to him,” Sehun told.

“Ah…” his mother’s eyes lit up. “How nice of her. You said thank you?”

Gunta nodded though he hadn’t done so.

“Come in,” Sehun invited opening the door.

“Did you get my message?” his mother asked.

“Grammy! Look!” Gunta immediately showed off his new toy robot.

“How cute! Did daddy get that for you?” his mother squealed.

“Aunty Mi-Mi.”

Sehun didn’t miss the strain in his mother’s face as she turned to him. “You’re still letting her around?”

“Did you come here to nitpick?” Sehun asked.

His mother sighed while Gunta’s soft head. “I’m not nagging.”

“Mom, you’re just about started,” Sehun grumbled wetting a towel to wipe the table.

“No, I’m not,” his mother insisted walking over to him. Hanging off the back of a chair she looked at him, “You will go, right? I swear, the girl I found this time is super pretty! She graduated from the top of her glass at SNU. Not only is she smart, she has a well-paying job.”

Ignoring her, Sehun scrubbed harder.

“She has everything you’d need! What Gunta would need.”

“Gunta’s three,” Sehun reminded. “I don’t think money is what he needs.”

“Then what?!” his mother threw out her hands flustered.

“When the time comes, I’ll worry about it.” Sehun looked at her sternly.

“When is that?” the woman crossed her arms. Sehun pursed his lips. Letting go of the table she rounded the piece of furniture to him. “I’m not asking you to replace Yanghwa. My God, would I ever ask you to do that?”

“Aren’t you?” Sehun looked at her hurt this time.

She gently touched his cheek, the other hand on his arm. “Love doesn’t come just once, my son. Can’t you try to open your heart again?”

He averted his eyes. Not ready for this kind of talk again.

“Just go see her once,” his mother encouraged. “Just once. Get to know her. She’s a nice woman. You know what her job is? She aids a national foundation in ending child starvation all over the world. Isn’t that impressive? She’ll be a good fit for Gunta.”

◊◊◊◊◊

Sehun didn’t sleep easily that night, so he woke up to join Gunta in his bedroom. Hugging his tiny body to ease the discomfort in his heart.

Did Gunta want a mother? Did he ever wonder where his mother went? Why she never came back home to hug and kiss him?

Did he know these things?

If Gunta ever wanted a mother…

Sehun had never thought that far.

Wasn’t he enough?

The next morning, he woke up groggy. Not enough sleep. Too much on his mind.

His mother had offered to watch Gunta while he went on his date. Gunta would have questions. Sehun wasn’t fond of lying to his son, even if Gunta didn’t understand anything at his age.

Glancing into the rearview mirror Sehun spotted Gunta sitting quietly in the back. He had been eager to go to daycare this morning just as he had yesterday and the previous morning.

“Are you excited?” Sehun asked.

“Happy!” Gunta joyously told.

“To see your friend? Moowon?” Sehun asked.

“See Moowonie!” Gunta exclaimed overly eager.

“Would you like to play with him?”

“Play!”

Moowon was walking toward the daycare building hand in hand with his mother when Sehun helped Gunta down from his booster seat.

“Wait for me,” Sehun ordered. Gunta stopped after a step and looked back at him. Closing the door, he took Gunta’s hand.

“Moowonie! Moowonie!” Gunta sing-songed catching his friend’s attention.

Moowon and his mother halted. Gunta immediately switched sides so he could hold his playmate’s hand. Grinning delightedly Gunta looked from Namjoo to Moowon to his father. Mrs. Lee was at the front as usual to greet the kids streaming into the daycare.

“Give me a hug,” Sehun said. He received an impatient one then Gunta turned to run inside with Moowon.

After a wave Namjoo was back outside. Sehun followed her. “Excuse me,” he began. “Do you have any plans this weekend?”

She frowned making him realize he sounded like he was asking her out.

Flustered, he tried again, “I mean, will you be doing anything this weekend? If not, could Gunta and Moowon spend some time together? He’s been asking to play with him.”

“Sure,” she easily agreed, which made him rethink everything for a moment.

“Actually,” he added, “you wouldn’t mind watching him for a few hours?”

“What?” she frowned this time.

“It’s just…I have some things to tend to,” Sehun excused suddenly feeling nervous and awkward asking a stranger this when they didn’t even know each other. Wouldn’t she think it was weird of him to trust her with his son?

“I’m sorry. I know it’s weird,” Sehun blabbered. “You can decline.”

She ran her eyes over him for a few seconds as if scanning for parts of him that may have malfunctioned. “Would Gunta be ok with that?”

“Huh?”

“I’m saying, he doesn’t know me. Would he be ok?”

He stared at her unable to transmit that she’d said yes.

“Ye…yes,” he nodded seconds later. “He likes Moowon a lot. He’ll be fine.”

When the weekend finally came he thought he may have been overconfident. Overwhelmed with uncertainty he slow walked down the hall with Gunta. Diaper bag strapped over his shoulder. A bag of toys and some treats for Moowon.

Earlier, Namjoo had quietly given him the address to her apartment and directions for him to buzz her so they could enter. She had done it all so quietly Sehun wondered if she was really ok about this. Despite his worrying, Gunta seemed rather carefree as was his three-year-old nature.

“Moowon play with me?” Gunta had asked all morning. Like his usual self he’d been ecstatic that he could spend the day at Moowon’s house. Finally.

The two kids hadn’t known each other for long and already they were best friends forever. Yet he had only known Moowon’s mother a day or two. This was already very uncomfortable for him, but if Gunta could have his own fun while he was out on a guilty date he would get over it.

Sehun in a breath and rang the bell. The door opened and Namjoo immediately greeted brightly, “Gunta!”

“Aunty!” he greeted though Sehun hadn’t really told him how to greet her. Gunta surprisingly gave her a hug before bounding into the house.

“Come in,” Namjoo invited, “we were just watching television. Did Gunta eat? I can fix up something for him.”

“No need for that,” Sehun told. “He’ll have an appetite after he naps. I should be back before then.”

“Ok.” Closing the door, she led him in. He peered at the circular sofa with a nice area set up for Moowon. His toys were organized in bins by the wall. There was a sketch pad sitting on the low table in front of the television. Moowon’s drawings were plastered across the fridge with magnets. A proud mom displaying her son’s artwork.

No man he noted.

Did they live here by themselves he wanted to ask but refrained himself.

Setting down the diaper bag he explained to her where the children’s medicine was if she needed it. “I’m in the process of potty training him, so he’s wearing a diaper in case of an accident. He’ll ask for the bathroom though.”

“Ok,” Namjoo nodded understandably. With a comforting smile she assured, “Don’t worry, I’ve been there. I’ll keep an eye on him.”

“Thanks,” he breathed a sense of relief.

“Are you in a hurry? I can get you something to drink before you go.” She offered.

“Uh…no,” he shook his head. “You’re sure this is ok?”

“Why not? Moowon gets someone to play with while I clean around,” Namjoo kindly said.

“Thank you,” he thanked. Going over to Gunta he explained to him that he’d be gone for a while but that he would be back. His son furtively nodded and gave him a careless hug before returning to play with Moowon. He was showing off his toy robot again.

“Looks like he doesn’t care,” Sehun commented and earned another smile from Namjoo. They turned as she walked him toward the door. “There are some snacks in the bag if they want any. Moowon can have the rest. It’s a thanks for today.”

“He would like that,” Namjoo nodded as she opened the door for him.

“I won’t take any more than two hours,” Sehun promised stepping through the door and turning around.

Namjoo nodded again. “We’ll be fine.”

Biting his lower lip, he turned to leave then stopped and swiveled around. Pulling his wallet out he took out his business card. He would improvise since there was no pen and paper. Handing it to her he explained, “My phone number if there’s anything.”

Namjoo looked at him surprised, but took it anyhow. “Right.”

“Thanks again,” he repeated and hesitated feeling like there should be something more to be said. Finally turning around for the last time he hurried down the hall.

◊◊◊◊◊

He was like her when she first dropped Moowon off at Yurim’s. She had talked constantly, nervous about leaving her son in someone’s care for the first time. This is where his diapers are. This is where his medicine is. These are his clothes, all folded and neatly tucked inside. Nail clippers are here. Baby wipes here.

Namjoo laughed underneath her breath as she closed the door and glanced at the business card Sehun had handed her. So he was an architect. Namjoo stared at the name of his workplace then glanced toward the children.

Tucking the card into her pocket she joined the kids by the couch. Touching the bag full of toys and sweets she said, “Lets see what your mom packed.”

“Mommy?” Gunta perked up. Moowon’s head shot up as well and he glanced her direction.

“Yes, your mom,” Namjoo said.

Gunta stared at her blankly.

“What’s wrong?” Namjoo wondered.

“Don’t have.” Gunta murmured.

“What did you say?” Namjoo leaned forward to hear him clearer.

“Don’t have,” Gunta repeated. Attention span shortened he pointed his finger at the bag. “Cake!”

Taking the bag out of her grasp he showed its contents to Moowon. “Cake, cake, cake!” he repeated.

Namjoo’s eyes suddenly landed on the diaper bag, wondering if Sehun had packed it all by himself. Then her eyes drifted back toward Gunta who was busily pulling out the treats from the bag.

An hour went by. Then another. Thirty minutes trickled in on playtime. She played hide-and-seek with them sharing screams and yelps of laughter. They all tired by the time she put Finding Nemo on for them. Both boys lazing on the couch on either side of her. Not before long Moowon’s head was drooping on her shoulder. He was already snuggling against her like he always did when they watched a movie. She listened to his calm breathing then turned to find Gunta curled up against her as well. His eyes were not fully open but also not fully closed.

Namjoo rubbed his head to soothe him. Sighing Gunta let his head drop against her arm. Grabbing the remote Namjoo lowered the volume. If Sehun didn’t hurry back she might be in trouble by the time both kids woke up. Now she wondered how she would carry them into the bedroom.

Easing Moowon onto the couch pillow she slowly drew her arms around Gunta’s small body and lifted him up. Letting his head fall against her shoulder as she walked into her bedroom. Moowon’s twin bed would be too small for them if they were to roll around in their sleep. Gunta’s head hit the mattress smoothly. Another dreamy sigh from him as he curled into the blanket. Namjoo went out again to retrieve Moowon. She thanked her luck that neither child woke up with a fit as she adjusted the blanket over them.

The evening sky was dawning in on the world when she stepped out. Rain was starting to come down and she wondered if Sehun had an umbrella with him. Namjoo just barely closed the door when the bell rang. In fear that the kids would wake up, Namjoo hurried toward the door.

Her grip tightened on the knob when she stared up at the rough laden face of her old lover. Daehwi’s solemn laced eyes were still soul . Namjoo’s heart did a flip then another short one. It had been about three years since she had seen him face to face if not by phone call.

She gulped. Not because she was nervous, but she was pissed off that he decided to show up like this.

“Can we talk?” he asked. When she didn’t say anything he continued, “I got your message.”

“Wait here,” was all she said before closing the door in his face. Namjoo took a shaky breather when she whirled around. Noticing the hard thump of her pulsing heart. Suddenly she was grateful that Moowon was asleep.

Namjoo’s first move was to grab her phone and make a phone call. Yurim didn’t live too far away and she couldn’t leave the kids alone unattended. Eight abrupt minutes later she opened the door for Yurim who looked at her questionably.

“Later,” Namjoo urgently spoke. “Can you stay with the kids for a few minutes?”

“Kids?” Yurim repeated confused cause she only had one child.

“I’ll be back soon,” Namjoo touched her arm. Taking her keys from the hook on the wall she stepped out to find Daehwi’s lanky structure leaning against the wall. Biting down on her tongue she started in his direction muttering, “Lets go.”