Those Days

This is My Love

◊◊◊◊◊

“Daddy happy?” Gunta asked staring up at him. This morning Gunta had come into his bedroom to watch him go through his closet, reject a dozen clothes before deciding on a casual button down and pants to match.

“Yes, daddy’s happy,” Sehun replied buttoning his shirt. Glancing at Gunta who he’d dressed earlier in shorts and a favorite Superman shirt.

Gunta widely grinned. “No anger?”

He stopped what he was doing and glanced down at Gunta. Those wide curious eyes of his sometimes reminded him so much of his wife. Crouching down he touched Gunta’s arms. Smiling, he explained, “Daddy’s not angry.”

“No anger.” Gunta repeated more confidently.

“Go on out. Daddy’s almost finished and then we’ll go see Moowonie.”

“Yea!” Gunta jumped then dashed out of the bedroom.

He shoved away his worry instead focusing on today’s plans. If his mother wanted to apologize for the things she’d said, she’d have to come here. Though he was aware he’d just left without explaining anything to Gunta or letting him bid farewell to his grandparents, Sehun didn’t think Gunta would drawl over it. He seemed to have forgotten everything by the time Namjoo fed him and he was playing with Moowon.   

Gunta was singing gibberish. Dancing with his arms and legs, moving his head from side to side when they were on the road. He’d pick up Namjoo. Said she could put Moowon’s booster seat in the back, so they could all travel together. She’d been uncertain, but he had managed to persuade her. A date meant they had to be together.

Helping Gunta out of the car they buzzed the doorbell for Namjoo. Gunta cheekily laughed at him on the way up.

“What?” Sehun asked.

Gunta shrugged his shoulders up. Baring his teeth with laughter. “Daddy like Moowonie mommy?”

“Who taught you that?” he asked flustered unsure how Gunta knew these things or what they were.

“Daddy kiss-kiss?” Gunta cocked his head to the side.

It was Sehun’s turn to laugh. Surprised to the core. “No. No.”

“Why?” He was at it again. “Why, daddy?”

Lost now, Sehun lightly scratched his face not knowing what to say to Gunta. Luckily, the elevator reached Namjoo’s floor and they stepped out. Standing prim and proper he rang the doorbell and waited.

◊◊◊◊◊

“Where we going?” Moowon asked sitting on the couch as Namjoo helped put his sandals on.

“We’re going to play today,” Namjoo explained.

“With daddy?”

Lifting her eyes up she touched his face. “Not daddy. Unless you want to see him?”

Remaining quiet, he let his eyes drift downwards. Taking a breath Namjoo allowed her knees to touch the ground tired of crouching. Touching Moowon’s tiny hands and fondling them. Sinking in the fact his hands were growing bigger. Someday he would grow taller than her. Would he look like another version of Daehwi? Would it bother him?

“Daddy’s a little busy right now, but he does want to see you,” Namjoo gently explained. “Daddy didn’t hurt mommy. You know that right? Mommy’s not hurt.”

His lips remained tucked together forming a tiny pout. Gripping her fingers, he asked, “Mommy like Gunta daddy?”

Namjoo opened . Immediately thinking to say no, but what justice would that do? Moowon wasn’t at the age where he didn’t know what was going on. He lived with her. He saw everything she did.

“Does Moowon not like it?” Namjoo asked.

Quiet again. His lips pressed together tightly. And then, “I no like.”

“Oh, Moowon,” Namjoo breathed touching his face. “It’s ok.”

“Gunta daddy is Gunta daddy.” Moowon murmured, which she took meant Sehun was only Gunta’s dad not anything else.

Smiling, Namjoo rubbed his cheek with a thumb. “Gunta’s daddy is not a bad guy. He likes you.”

Moowon averted his eyes. He had developed such a quiet nature like her own. She didn’t want him to become like her. She wanted to see him become outgoing. Happy, cheerful like Gunta. It made her sad to see that he’d become withdrawn after seeing her and Daehwi fight. What was she supposed to do to fix it?

“Do you think you can try to be nice to Gunta’s daddy?” Namjoo asked. “He really likes you Moowon, like mommy likes you.” She poked his bulging belly with a smile and watched a smile climb over his lips before he giggled.

“Mommy,” he cried out with laughter.

“That’s a good boy,” she complimented and hugged him just as the doorbell rang. “Looks like Gunta is here. Lets go have fun today, ok?”

“Ok!” he exclaimed with a nod.

He stuck close by as she opened the door. Gunta burst in first like always. Screaming, “Moowonie!” and bumped into her son with an excited hug. “We play! We play!”

“I got toy,” Moowon said.

“We’re not playing with your toys today, ok?” Namjoo reminded and received curious stares in return.

Sehun jumped in to help, “You want candy? Lets go get candy.”

“Candy!” Gunta shrieked into Moowon’s face happily.

“Not too much sugar,” Namjoo cautioned. Butterflies fluttered inside her when Sehun quietly looked at her with a dainty smile. “What?”

“You’re pretty.”

Her cheeks grew hot. She wasn’t wearing much different. Just skinny pants and a blouse she thought looked nice. Since she’d woken up a bit late, she hadn’t been able to dab on as much makeup as she liked.

“No lipstick?” he asked, which had her heating up neck down.

Flustered, she changed the subject, “Aren’t…aren’t you dressed a bit too nice?”

“A guy’s gotta look good,” he cheekily grinned. “So, are we gonna leave or are we going to keep standing here?”

She wanted to take his hand as she pulled the door close but instead took Moowon’s. Sehun took Moowon’s booster seat from her and strapped it into the back beside Gunta, who was excitedly awaiting his friend. Finally sitting together in one car for the day. What a joy it was for them and for her to be with Sehun up front.

“Where are we going?” Namjoo wondered pulling the seatbelt over her.

“And spoil the surprise?” Sehun teased. “I don’t think so.”

They went to a children’s café where they bought the kids ice cream cones and juice to start off. Deciding they’d had enough, Moowon and Gunta joined everyone else in the huge playroom that consisted of balloon slides and an inflatable gym of activities. A chaotic echo of laughter and enthusiastic screams floated back toward them. Joining the other parents to watch over their kids Sehun entwined his fingers with hers and held it secretively at their backs. Just in case Moowon turned to look at them. But the kids were too busy climbing up and going back down the slide disappearing into the ball pool below.

“How’d you find this place?” Namjoo asked.

“The internet.” He admitted, which had them laughing together. He tightened his grip. “This is nice.”

She glanced up at him to see a soft smile rocking his pretty lips. Warmth overwhelmed her when he looked at her. She would kiss him, but they were in public and she didn’t want Moowon to see. The last thing on her list today was to upset him.

“I talked to Moowon,” Namjoo confessed. “I think you’re right.”

“About?” Sehun asked.

“That he’s not ok with you,” Namjoo completed her sentence. “But I guess…I guess I understand. There was something Daehwi said to me a while ago.”

Now looking at her more intently. “He said something to you?”

Hesitation filled her. Cussing herself for bringing up the subject on their very first date. Since she started it, she had to finish it or else Sehun would keep prying throughout the day. She hadn’t wanted to ruin their moment. What an idiot she was.

“It’s just…” she looked away then at him, “Moowon thought I wanted to replace his dad.”

Sehun blinked. “With me?”

“Well…yea.”

He laughed, as if it was a great joke. Namjoo watched feeling slightly stupefied.

“Moowon’s a good son.” Sehun turned to watch both boys climb up the stairs to go down the slide again. “To be that protective at this early age.” Looking at her with another smile that had her floating off her feet, “And wanting you for himself.”

“Please.” She playfully hit him.

“Gunta hardly does that,” Sehun jokingly said.

“He’s three.” Namjoo reminded.

They turned when Moowon and Gunta ran toward them ecstatically screaming. Immediately letting go of each other they reached out as the boys collided into them. Namjoo ended up bursting into joyous laughter when the boys ran to her instead leaving Sehun empty handed.

They let the boys enjoy the inflated playground for another half hour before dragging them out of the building. Upset that they could no longer play they pouted in the backseat as Sehun drove them for lunch. The sight of food immediately cheered them up and their previous tantrum forgotten. The hour didn’t go by without either child dirtying their clothes or smearing their faces. Their hands were the least lucky.

“We should’ve packed extra clothes.” Namjoo mumbled.

“Noted for next time,” Sehun promised.

The last trip of the day consisted of shopping. For clothes. Moowon and Gunta’s clothes were so filthily stained they had no choice. Either suffer in the car with clothes reeking of who knows what or prolong the date. The latter sounded like a preferable plan. It was something to do and Namjoo didn’t yet want to part from Sehun.

It had definitely been too long since she’d been in the company of someone who stirred her heart. Someone who wanted to care for her. Looked at her like she was heaven on earth and the only thing he wanted.

Sehun made her feel like a lucky woman. She wanted to kiss the moonshine in his eyes away and hold him close. Never planning to let go of her heart after Daehwi, but somehow Sehun was releasing all emotions she’d tucked away. Allowing her to yearn, miss, and desire.

Be the woman she was and should be.

When he pulled up to her apartment, she felt sorry they had to part. Conflicted between asking him to come up or letting him go. Both their children were sound asleep in the back.

“See you tomorrow?” he asked.

Forcing a smile, “Of course.”

“I had fun.”

“Me, too.”

Their eyes met. The silence stretching, waiting for the next move. Her fingers danced on her lap. Wanting to touch him. Kiss him. Reading the same through his eyes, but she hesitated when Moowon sleepily grumbled from the back.

Hurriedly releasing her seatbelt, she began to reach for the doorknob. Nervous, uneasy because she wanted to do a lot with him. Repeating stupidly, “I had fun. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“I’ll call you.” He promised.    

She watched him drive off and turned to head in. A car horn beeped just when the doors opened for her. Turning around she recognized Sehun’s car. Felt her heart do a roll. Thinking he’d come back because he didn’t want to part, too.

“Forgot your car seat,” he said.

“Oh…” Feeling stupid she couldn’t laugh.

Entering his car again she directed him to where her car was. Climbing back out with Moowon she watched him unlatch her son’s car seat and strap it inside her car.

“Thanks,” she said.

“Didn’t want you to drive around without his safety seat,” Sehun said.

“I guess I need to call it a day, too,” Namjoo said.

“Get some rest,” he urged.

“You, too.” It was farewell now. “See you tomorrow.”

◊◊◊◊◊

Satisfied with the day Sehun patted Gunta’s small back, singing softly into his ears as he rode the elevator up to his floor. Gunta may have enjoyed his day but Sehun thought he had much more fun. Among all things today he’d had the best joy from just looking at Namjoo. She made his heart race.

Sehun decreased pace when he saw a woman up ahead. His heart nearly doing a plunge when he thought about Saemi, but it wasn’t her. She was much more feminine compared to today’s visitor. He recognized her instantly after a few steps.

“I thought I’d stop by,” Joomi greeted with a wave. “I was on vacation in Jeju and brought back some things. Oh! Is that Gunta? Is he sleeping?”

“You should have called,” Sehun said unlocking the door. Stepping in before her and heading into the bedroom to put Gunta down along with the bag of his stained clothes. Closing the door, he stepped out to find Joomi unloading tangerines and other fruits.

“You know Jeju is known for tangerines? I went to one of the farms and picked these,” she explained.

“That’s enough. Take the rest home or to your parents,” Sehun told.

“Give some to Gunta’s friends. Kids love fruits. They’re sweet and loaded with natural sugar,” Joomi suggested.

And that was what made her different from Namjoo. A mother who watched out for sugar intake whether it be artificial or natural. Fruits were healthy, but a kid shouldn’t eat 10 in one go.

“I said that’s enough,” Sehun deepened his tone.

Joomi froze. “This is nothing to get angry about. I just thought it'd be nice to share. I care about you.”

He sighed and wanted to run his hand over his face. “Really, Joomi. Just a few is fine. I don’t need ten or twenty. It’s just me and Gunta here.”

Shifting, Joomi placed a hand on the table, the other on her hip. Observing him. “You came from somewhere? You’re dressed up.”

He debated. At least she wasn’t like Saemi who reported to his mother. “A date.”

Her jaw dropped. “A what?!”

“I had a date,” Sehun stared her on to make it clear. “And I like her.”

“Who is she? Do I know her? Has Gunta met her?”

“That’s not your business,” Sehun pointedly said. “So, you should go.”

“You can’t just date anyone.” Joomi, on the defensive now. “What about Gunta? Your mother? What does she have to say?”

“I said it’s none of your business,” he repeated with a deeper growl, irritated that everyone had to say something about the life choices he made. Needing to critique whom he saw, whom he wanted to see romantically.

“I’m just worried,” she reasoned.

“Well thanks, but I don’t need it,” Sehun remarked.

Joomi pressed her lips together then straightened. “Then, good luck. And refrigerate these before they go bad.”

He bit down on his teeth as he listened to the door close and heaved a sigh.

◊◊◊◊◊

Lipstick. Namjoo went through the selection in her drawer. She wouldn’t have guessed that Sehun looked at her lips if he hadn’t said anything. Knowing it made her feel giddy. Since she hadn’t been able to yesterday, she wanted to look extra pretty today even if she wouldn’t be able to spend the entire day with him. But if he looked at her for several minutes in the morning, he would yearn for her more when he didn’t see her.

Namjoo giggled to herself. Shocking herself. She felt like such a young girl in love. She headed out to find Moowon finished with his bowl of food and sitting in front of the television. They put their shoes on together and were out the door in a matter of time.

This morning Sehun and Gunta were already at the daycare chatting it up with Mrs. Lee. He glanced at her with a knowing smile as Moowon and Gunta greeted the woman together before running inside. Like them Namjoo and Sehun eagerly headed back into the parking lot. Taking her hand a quarter of the way down and leading her toward his car. She let him lead wondering what he had up his sleeves.

“Get in,” he said opening the door for her. She frowned but did as told and waited for him to get into the driver’s seat. Confused if he was taking her to work and leaving her car here.

“What…” she began when he closed the door, but the words drifted off into the middle of nowhere when he cupped her face and gave her a long drawn out kiss. She tasted the entirety of his mouth, a bit of his tongue. Mint. His warm breath. Her entire body tingled in a good way.

She touched his hand murmuring, “Wow…” when he withdrew.

Whether her face had gone pink she couldn’t tell. Gasping for her breath she looked at him wondering what kind of gaze his eyes held.

“I’ve been wanting to do that, but with the kids…”

Her smile grew wide. She felt shy but so high. She had wanted to kiss him, too. Instead of saying it she grabbed the collar of his shirt to pull him closer and kissed him. Inviting him a breadth closer. As the kiss became deeper, a little more passionate.  


***It's on!!!! They are so into each other now!! Note: Neither of them have been romantically involved for a while so it's going to spiral really fast