Strings Attached

This is My Love

Their gazes broke off to look at the closed door. Who was on the other side?

Closing the fridge, Sehun walked to open it. Joomi beamed a smile at him. Immediate frustration spread through him almost like wildfire. He didn’t want her here. He sighed.

“Since you were busy yesterday I thought I’d come today,” she chirped and stepped in through the gap on his left. Halting when she saw his guests. Curious Namjoo and Moowon stared in return. Joomi’s eyes demanded an answer when she turned to look at him.

Closing the door Sehun took a few steps past her. It couldn’t be avoided now. Hiding his irritation he introduced, “This is Namjoo and her son Moowon. He’s Gunta’s friend at the daycare. This is Joomi.”

“Ah…” Joomi nodded. “The daycare friend.” Now looking at him inquiringly, “But what are they doing here?”

“I invited them, Joomi,” Sehun flatly stated, reminding her whose home she had stepped into.

“All right, I was just wondering,” Joomi shrugged but Sehun could tell it was more than that. She didn’t like it that there was another woman in his house.

Pivoting she walked into his kitchen to set down the grocery bag she’d come with. Taking control, her way. Peering in Namjoo’s direction, he saw her digesting the situation with the blink of her eyes. He regretted opening the door. He had cleaned up for this?

Asking Namjoo not him, “Why don’t you stay? I was going to make dinner. It’d be nice if we could all eat together.”

Namjoo mouthed, “Should I leave?” No, he immediately wanted to say, but felt eyes on him. Then turned to see Joomi watching him. Her gaze next traveled to look over her shoulder at Namjoo. Full of suspicion that they’d been talking somehow without including her.

“You’ll stay, won’t you?” Joomi pegged.

“I actually wasn’t…” Namjoo began half-rising.

Joomi cut her off, “Stay. I’m a really good cook.” Glancing at him purposefully, she added, “Sehun and Gunta always enjoy my food.”

◊◊◊◊◊

Namjoo had no idea what was happening. A lot of things she didn’t know about Gunta and his father, but then she had never really expected to know anything. Plan was to leave after calming Moowon down but he wouldn’t leave her lap, and now Gunta decided he’d like to lean into her too.

Now she was cuddling two kids, playfully rocking them back and forth. Listening to them giggle as she leaned further into the couch lifting their little feet off the ground. Up high, high, high. Twist from left to right as if she might toss them away like hand grenades, then lower them, and repeat the motions.

She literally spent 15 minutes playing with them till she tired and played dead. The kids then decided they would resuscitate her by jumping on her. Namjoo deeply regretted it when Moowon’s knee collided into her rib cage. That was when she called quits and convinced them to play with the animal figurines Sehun had bought.

Finally ignored, Namjoo left them to explore. Sehun’s home was a lot more organized than she had expected. Living with a child, of course he would be. The smell of frying meat made her stomach rumble as she lifted her head up to stare at the tall curtain. She glanced into the kitchen to see Joomi at the stove lifting a spoon to Sehun’s lips telling him to taste her dish. They appeared so intimate, like a wife cooking with her husband. Embarrassed she had watched them Namjoo looked away. She should have just dropped Moowon off earlier and left. Now she was trapped here so uncomfortably. Feeling foolish she had even brought flowers.

Sehun’s personal life didn’t matter to her, but she would have appreciated a forewarning about Joomi. Shoving the thoughts aside Namjoo ran her eyes over the assorted books on Sehun’s bookshelf. To her he appeared more like an outdoors adventurer, not a reader. She spotted several children’s books, youth books, textbooks from his university days, and then the many dozen magazines. More interested in them she pulled a random one out from the pile.

A beautiful model filled the cover with a full white smile and a y outfit. It was one of the typical magazines she’d find by the checkout aisle. Yet her face turned a deep shade of red when she read the subtitle: 25 Ways to have more intense . Heating up neck down, Namjoo shoved the magazine back onto the shelf. Burying it under a pile of other magazines. Of course, she chanted to herself, a person would have his or her own interests. Sehun’s definitely did not matter to her. Wiping her hands on her pants she walked back to join the kids.

“Namjoo…” she heard her name.

“What?!” she snapped surprised and turned to see Sehun’s rounded eyes taken aback by her tone. Goodness, she was really sweating. Calming herself down she averted her eyes forcing herself to take several breaths. “I mean…yes?”

“Well, I was just saying dinner is ready…if you want to bring the kids over,” Sehun said with darting eyes. She hoped she wasn’t weirding him out.

What an idiot she chided herself. Gathering the boys, she led them toward the table. Struggling not to think about that magazine or the way Sehun stood awkwardly, trying not to look as she approached with the kids in tow. Or maybe it was her imagination.

“Oh…there’s only one high chair,” it was Joomi. “What should we do?”

“It’s all right. Moowon can just sit next to me,” Namjoo assured helping Moowon up onto the chair. Settling into her seat she looked up to see Joomi sitting in front of her. Relief swam through her. Grabbing a plate, she filled it up with food for her son and handed him a spoon.

“Why, he knows how to eat by himself,” Joomi exclaimed. “How cute is that. Moonwon, right? How old are you?”

“I’m four-years-old,” he answered.

“I three!” Gunta chirped holding up the wrong fingers. Smiling Joomi patted his head adoringly.

“You’re older than Gunta,” Joomi stated. “I thought you’d be the same age.” Eyes on Moowon, “You’re so small.”

“Joomi,” Sehun warned.

Namjoo felt heat wash up her body as she dug at her food. Still, she looked just to make sure Moowon ate his food regardless.

“Well, I’m sorry,” Joomi apologized to her. Namjoo sensed the pretentious sincerity. “I didn’t say anything offending, did I?”

“Of course not,” Namjoo lied. She didn’t like speaking about this. It didn’t matter if Moowon was smaller than those his age. She just wanted him to be healthy. She didn’t want anyone else’s opinion about how big he was, how tall he was. Namjoo didn’t want his feelings to be hurt because of it.

“Can I ask you a question?” Joomi started. “I’ve only heard about you once, but now that I see you in person I’m curious.”

Namjoo looked at Joomi. She was curious, too. Who exactly Joomi was.

“Are you single?”

Sehun reacted faster than she did. “Joomi, that’s unnecessary. You should stop.”

“I have daddy,” Moowon spoke up breaking the entirety of the moment. Joomi’s eyes flickered.

Namjoo’s heart went out to her son. Suddenly wanting to gather him into her arms. Protect him from the world. Apologize that she couldn’t give him everything he wanted.

“Where’s your dad?” Joomi asked him.

“I’m divorced,” Namjoo told.

Breathing surprised but sensing the sudden awkward atmosphere, Joomi apologized. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

Silent, Namjoo stared at her momentarily to express her unhappiness then turned to her food. She ate real quickly and waited patiently for Moowon to finish digging through his plate. Unable to look anywhere else but her son. This tightness growing in her chest told her she was about to become very upset, and she didn’t want to blow up here. Joomi was trying to check her out. She had no right.

Making a show of checking her phone she said while collecting their dishes, “I forgot I have to run Moowon to the store for some clothes. I should go before it closes.”

“You should really stay longer,” Joomi sounded disappointed.

“Next time,” Namjoo rushed her words. Setting the dishes into the sink she helped Moowon up to rinse his hands and mouth. “You want to say goodbye to Gunta? We’re going to leave.”

Quietly raising his hand Moowon waved not moving from her side.

“Moowon, Moowon! Bye-bye!” Gunta rocked in his high chair.

Taking her hand Moowon glanced up at her sensing her urgency to escape.

“I’ll be back,” Sehun told getting up to walk them to the door but Namjoo already had it open. It closed behind him as she stepped into the hall.

“She’s like that.” Sehun said when she turned to look at him. “I’m sorry.”

“You’re not making an excuse for her, are you?” Namjoo wondered. She would be upset with him if he said yes. Strangers they were but it was recriminating from her point of view.

“I have no reason to defend her.”

“Even though she likes you?” Namjoo flatly questioned. His mouth opened to answer then he closed it. She didn’t know how to read his reaction.

“Never mind,” Namjoo dismissed him.

“Joomi is my wife’s friend,” Sehun confessed.

Well, that was unexpected. Definitely weird. Namjoo felt punched in the guts. Feeling guilty. Even weirder.

She couldn’t imagine one of Daehwi’s friends crushing on her. How suffocating would that be? She felt the shivers.

While the information sunk in Sehun fidgeted in front of her. Almost seeming like he was trying to dig his feet into the ground.

They were strangely awkward again.

“My mom was here yesterday,” Sehun suddenly started surprising her with his abrupt story, “and Joomi happened to come, too. My mom thinks the fundraiser was a date – ” he suddenly blushed making her heart take a leap. Namjoo prayed her face hadn’t turned red.

Their eyes locked and she began to sweat neck down. They had talked about this before. Yet still… Shaking his hands in front of him he urgently added, “I mean not us. I mean…I mean Saemi. She thinks it was a date for us.” His eyes drifted to the side and Namjoo in a breath. She was being stupid.

“Mommy, can we go?” Moowon tugged her hand.

“Oh…ok…” Namjoo glanced down at him having forgotten she wasn’t alone.

“Um well, we were talking and Moowon and you popped up. Just to make it clear that I didn’t intentionally talk about you two.” Sehun finished.

Bobbing her head like a doll Namjoo figured that was an acceptable reason.

Silence threaded in again.

Namjoo swallowed. Struggling to ward off this weird thing going on between them. She wanted to scratch her head then suddenly recalled what she’d wanted to say since before.

“About Gunta…”

“Uh…yea?” he perked up so hurriedly that they merely looked at each other sheepishly. He was being hasty, and he knew it. Obviously, his anxiousness was affecting her the same way.

“You need me to watch him again?” Namjoo witnessed the glow dim in his eyes realizing that she had known since they’d talked that morning.

“If you could.” His voice quieted.

“When?”

“This Thursday.”

Their eyes held on surprisingly. “Ok.”

“Then, Thursday.” He confirmed.

“Yea.” Her reply came out in a simple breath.

Staring up at him Namjoo tried to decipher the emotion behind his gaze.

◊◊◊◊◊

Further down the hall Moowon asked to be carried. Namjoo managed to lift him as they turned the corner and disappeared. Stepping back Sehun touched the door before stepping back inside. Joomi and Gunta were giggling as she helped him down from the high chair.

“Ok, now run off and play. Your daddy and I need to talk, ok?” Joomi said. Without looking at him Gunta dashed off into his toy corner. Walking by Sehun turned the faucet on. Soaped the sponge up and began scrubbing the first dish he grabbed.

“So she’s a divorcee,” Joomi leaned against the counter beside him. “Boy, your mother would be impressed.”

“You shouldn’t have talked to her like that,” Sehun grumbled.

“Why?” Joomi asked. “I don’t think there was anything wrong with the things I said. Anyone would have been curious. Why a woman with a child would be here at your place? Wouldn’t her husband object?”

“Her personal life is none of our business. You still shouldn’t have asked.” Sehun reprimanded.

A thin smile crossed her lips. “Do you like her, Sehun?”

“I’ve only just known her.”

“Oh, I see.” A raise of a doubtful brow. “Strangers enough to already invite her over? Maybe you were expecting something after putting the kids to sleep.”

Tossing the sponge down, he shifted to face her. “Have you had enough?”

Joomi stared back aggressively. Full on mode jealous, she accused, “When she was here you didn’t say anything, but now that she left you’re frustrated and angry.”

“Your words are baseless,” Sehun argued.

“Really?” Joomi crookedly grinned. “You’re a really bad liar, Sehun.”

He inched back when she stepped closer. A panther closing in on her prey. Ready to chew everything out of him. His innards. His secrets.

“Even a mother wouldn’t leave her child with a person she just met,” Joomi pointed out. “I’m not stupid. I know how much you love Gunta. You wouldn’t dare leave him with just anyone. Who is she? Does your mother know her?”

Sehun’s eyes fluttered giving him away. His life was an open book. His entire family knew Yanghwa couldn’t give birth. Friends alike knew. There was no secret about the thousand-mile steps they’d taken to have Gunta. Everyone had been supportive at least if not condescending behind closed doors. All had prayed for Gunta’s safe delivery and then watched him bury his sweet wife a year later.

Anybody could flip through his autobiography, flip to this page, and say this is what happened that day. Sehun hid nothing.

Except, he was the only one left who had actually met Namjoo.

The young woman who had greeted him and his wife with a quiet voice.

It was at that exact moment that he realized if his parents discovered who she was to him, that she was here now, how displeased would they be? Looking down on Namjoo for giving up a child she had birthed, even if Gunta belonged to him and his wife. Shake their head because she had used her body to make a profit.

Today, Joomi had seen Namjoo. If an opportunity appeared she would grasp it if only she could have an advantage over Saemi whom his mother approved of.

Joomi who understood his mother second best to Yanghwa, because the friends had shared secrets of their own.

There would be scrutiny over his involvement with Gunta’s surrogate mother. The entanglement would appear obscene in his parent’s eyes.

But he didn’t know what to feel even if they thought he and Namjoo should have walked away from each other after she had Gunta. That they shouldn’t have met again. Do you know how weird it is, he could hear his mother saying, for you to leave Gunta with that woman?

“I told you before,” Sehun tried to convince her, “she’s Moowon’s mother. Gunta’s friend’s mother.”

Joomi shook her head, disbelieving. “There’s something you’re not telling me.”

She was right though. There was a lot he wasn’t saying. It had been weird from the start. Strange for him to run into Namjoo again, but somehow it seemed normal? Because Gunta liked her. Liked her son. Like there were strings attached.

Namjoo had carried his and Yanghwa’s son for nine months. There would be…strings attached.

Ok, he would admit this entire thing between him and Namjoo was odd all around. Even when she had laughed at the cracker slipping from his mouth. Especially when their hands had touched, and they had recoiled.

“What should I say, Joomi?” Sehun countered.

There was a difference between him and Namjoo, but that difference was what also made them alike.

They were afraid…

Her gaze grew firm. “Forget it, Sehun.”

His heart beat faster when she finally walked out and he turned to see the flowers Namjoo had left behind.


***I think Joomi just made him see the bigger picture that he is starting to get involved with Namjoo? That he knows they're both aware of the open possibility they share an attraction

***urgnh I have a headache. I'm trying to think about how weird it is to get involved with your surrogate mother. I need opinions and comments to know what the story is doing