Kept Thoughts

This is My Love

◊◊◊◊◊

After church service his mother stopped over with fresh flowers she’d bought from the market. To brighten his place up she said. His home would look happier if there was a woman to look after him she nagged then went right on into his kitchen to bake buttered bread. Sehun let her do what she wanted. Whatever she said or did she wouldn’t listen to him anyway.

Today they were coloring a book. With crayons. Markers were banned after Gunta colored his entire face blue. Gunta was consistently changing colors after making a scribble outside the bold lines that curved into the face of happy tongue wagging dog. Sehun took his time coloring a smiling flower.

Gunta just finished showing off his perfected coloring when the doorbell rang. He glanced at the door then at his mother. It wouldn’t be his dad. He would have gone out fishing or home to sleep.

“I knew you were in!” Joomi broadly smiled and invited herself in carrying a bundle of grocery bags. Halting when she spotted Sehun’s mother in the kitchen looking at her surprised. “Oh, mother! How nice it is to see you!”

One glance at his mother and Sehun noted disapproval behind her fake smile.

“I was just dropping by with some grocery. I heard that Sehun was running low and was worried,” Joomi explained placing the bags on top of his kitchen table.

“How kind of you,” his mother pretentiously said kindly.

“What are you baking? My gosh! It smells wonderful,” Joomi exclaimed.

Sehun watched the woman go at it and made his way back to join his son. Knowing for now that Joomi wouldn’t bother him because she’d want to make a good impression on his mother. It was later he’d have to worry about.

“This is why you only have one woman in your life, Gunta,” Sehun lectured sitting down. “Or else your life is going to be a headache.”

“Headych?” Gunta repeated confused.

Laughing, Sehun reached over to rub his head. “Never mind.”

Lunch was cooked fully by Joomi. His mother stayed to eat. Though the atmosphere wasn’t an inch of tense Sehun could sense the underlying mood shift. His mother continuously eyed him rancidly beneath her lids as she ate. He pretended not to see as he fed Gunta.

Clearing , “I heard the date with Saemi went well.”

Joomi looked at him curiously. Wide-eyed, “Saemi?”

Sehun glanced at her and his dry lips. “Who tells you this stuff, mom?”

“Who do you think?” his mother asked. “Saemi, of course. I called, and she told me. You know, I love a woman who can be honest with me.” She glanced at Joomi discreetly, “Especially women who know their place.”

Sehun didn’t know if he was more upset with Saemi for telling his mother everything so bluntly or if he was angrier that his mother felt the need to constantly check up on him.

“I met her like you asked,” Sehun stated, “I’d appreciate it if you left me to my own affairs.”

“I am just worried about you,” his mother pressed. “You have no woman in your life. There’s no one to look after you. I have a right to be worried. I am your mother.”

Joomi glanced at him again with a look that said she was right. Only because she wanted to be that person.

He ignored her. “I’ll handle it myself. If you call Saemi one more time, I won’t see her again. I mean it.”

“Oh? Then, you will see her again?” His mother raised her brows.

Sehun wanted to slap himself for being drawn in. He just wanted to threaten her. Not to have it bounce back on him.

“Th…that’s…well…that’s…” his mouth jarred with words.

“Good,” his mother smiled. “You’ll call her again. For lunch or dinner or something.”

He gritted his teeth unable to say anything more.

“By the way, why didn’t you bring Gunta? Your father and I were waiting,” his mother questioned.

That he’d forgotten about.

“Who did you leave him with?”

Both women looked at him for inquiry.

“He was with Moowon.”

“Moowon?” Joomi repeated. His mother shot her a glance that warned this was a conversation between mother and son, not an outsider. “Who’s Moowon?”

He didn’t answer her. His mother chided, “How can you leave your son with a stranger? I can’t believe you! I’m…we’re his grandparents.”

“His mother looked after him,” Sehun explained. “It’s fine. Gunta likes her.”

“What?” his mother frowned heavier.

“A woman?” Joomi now. Eyes widening even more.

“Lets not talk about this now,” Sehun said growing agitated. Grabbing his plate, he dumped it into the sink and turned the faucet on. From behind he could feel both women breathing steam.

Joomi appeared at his side. Putting her plates in the sink she asked, “Is she single?”

He only glanced at her.

Resigning, Joomi sighed. “I’ll see you later.” Giving Gunta a kiss goodbye she left leaving him alone with his mother.

“You’re still letting that woman in here?” his mother interrogated. “I told you before I don’t like it. I don’t approve of Joomi.”

“Don’t you think I know better?” Sehun whirled around to his mother. “She’s Yanghwa’s friend. How can I?”

His mother stared up at him. At least her face softened with apology. “Still, how could you leave Gunta with someone we don’t know? They could have done something horrible to him.”

“Does it matter what you think?” Sehun asked. “I trust her.”

Now his mother’s eyes turned sharp. “Who is she?”

“Moowon’s mother. Gunta’s friend’s mom.”

“I know Gunta’s friend.” His mother stated. “But who is she?”

Sehun looked away flustered, a little irritated he was being put on the spot like this.

“Don’t look away,” his mother warned. “Answer me.”

“I know her from the daycare, ok?”

“Are you in a relationship?”

“Of course not!” Sehun answered flabbergasted.

“Then there’s nothing more,” his mother said.

“Yes,” he confirmed.

“She won’t get in the way of you and Saemi?”

“We’re really not like that,” Sehun told.

“Fine,” his mother gave up. “As long as you promise to keep Saemi as an option. You’ll call her again?”

Not like he could say no when he was being cornered like this. He grudgingly gave his word, “I will.”

◊◊◊◊◊

Saemi didn’t pick up, but Sehun left a message. Lunch or dinner his mother had said, so he’d gone with dinner. It was more convenient for everyone.

Setting the phone down Sehun lie back on the couch and closed his eyes. Gunta was napping on his bed at the moment. Currently he was trapped in the silence until his son decided he wanted to wake up and play. Sehun thought he didn’t want to be alone or with the silence.

If his wife was still here he’d want to lie down on her lap. Feel her fingers run through his hair as they put the television volume on low. No one was here to accompany him. No one he wanted.

Covering his eyes with his hand he thought about asking Namjoo for another favor. One more favor to pay back. Yet he didn’t know what to do to make it up to her.

He thought about her shoe hurling through the air and landing in the puddle. Hearing her curse her ex-husband out. She was constantly having problems of her own as well. Maybe he shouldn’t ask her for another favor. She had looked stressed last night. As he drove away he had thought he should have asked her if she wanted a ride around the block to clear her head. He had regretted a little thinking she had gone back inside to face the world all by herself.

His fingers curled up into the cushion as he opened his eyes. Feeling funny now. Recalling how they’d laughed Saturday morning after their hands brushed. He was too embarrassed thinking about the cracker falling out of his mouth.

Laughing to himself he covered his face mentally telling himself to stop.

◊◊◊◊◊

“Daddy really buy for me?” Moowon asked for the nth time that morning.

“Your daddy bought that for you. You like it that much?” Namjoo asked helping him down from the car.

“I like very much,” Moowon adorably grinned touching his shirt for the thousandth time. It was an entire outfit from some high-end store. Even the shoes were new.

Namjoo would have yelled Daehwi’s head off if she knew he had used this much money. Who knew in what time their son would have already outgrown his clothes. There was no point spending this much.

“Daddy really buy for me,” he whispered to himself in awe. Looking up at her gleeful he laughed. “Daddy buy for me.”

Namjoo suddenly wondered if she should feel sorry for Daehwi. For the way she had acted toward him Saturday night. Her blood had rushed too fast to her head she hadn’t been thinking clearly. Namjoo almost persuaded herself to call Daehwi to apologize when she heard Gunta calling. Looking up she saw Gunta running toward them. Spotting Sehun behind him she lost track of her thoughts. Feeling for some reason she should apologize about Saturday night.

When father and son approached Moowon began exclaiming about the clothes his daddy had bought.

“Me, too! Me, too!” Gunta hopped from one foot to another. “I want too! Me, too!”

He looked up at her then to his own father.

Strangely, they just stood there not looking at each other as if some unfinished business had stretched from Saturday to Monday. Unsure if she should explain about Daehwi popping up at her place. Yet Sehun didn’t need to know she had fought with her ex which had added up to the shift in the mood as she walked him out.

Namjoo cleared and shifted to start walking to the daycare. Their footsteps matching while their kids hurriedly walked in front of them.

Namjoo’s lids fluttered when she felt their hands brush. Quickly recoiling she thought about Saturday morning when Sehun had sat next to her without a shirt on. She drew her hands together. A little nervous.

Abruptly turning to him flushed but also trying not to prolong the strange moment, Namjoo said, “About…”

But Sehun spoke at the same time, “Actually…”

Then they stopped and stared at each other breaking into laughter the next second. More embarrassed now, a little amused.

“You go first,” Namjoo told.

“No, I think you spoke first.” Sehun said.

Their eyes met again. The laughter quietened and all that remained were shy smiles. Her eyes shifted from this side to that as her heart skipped a little faster. She shouldn’t be experiencing this tingle traveling through the pulse in her chest. Lowering her eyes to her feet she wondered what she had really meant to say earlier.

Was he noticing any of this?

“The favor I owe you,” Sehun’s voice made her look up, “I can watch Moowon for you. You can leave him with me if you need to run errands, go shopping, or things you need to do that you can’t with him.”

“Oh…well,” Namjoo started uncertain, “I usually finish all that before I pick him up from the daycare and I don’t mind taking him with me.”

“I see.” His tone dropped.

Silence whipped in again. Stirring up something in her she wanted to keep at bay. Namjoo gripped her fingers a little harder.

“It’s all right,” Namjoo perked up. “You don’t need to do anything. I like watching Gunta. Moowon likes it when he comes over too. It’s no trouble.”

“Then…how about Moowon come over to play with Gunta?”

“Huh?” Namjoo blurted. She hadn’t expected this.

“Mommy,” Moowon interrupted snatching her hands. “Come.”

Namjoo glanced at Sehun as Moowon pulled her toward Mrs. Lee to show off the clothes daddy had bought for him. The elder woman marveled at his new outfit while Moowon showed off his new kicks. Gladly watching Namjoo also felt part of her mind wander.

Sehun had actually suggested that Moowon could play with Gunta at their place. For no reason at all.

Then what was she supposed to do? She would have no reason to let Moowon go to his place.

Looking behind her Namjoo glanced at Sehun who was taking off Gunta’s shoes because he’d put them on the wrong way. Then back to Mrs. Lee to continue their conversation. They talked briefly before Namjoo left. By then Sehun was nowhere in sight. Probably gone to work she assumed, but midway down the parking lot she saw him slowly treading toward his car.

Hesitation drawled over her at first yet she could tell he needed another favor. Just like the beach. Let the kids play then she’d take Gunta for a few hours. Why, for some reason, she felt sorry for him.

Quickening her pace, she went after him.

“What time,” she asked, “should I bring Moowon?”

◊◊◊◊◊

Suddenly Sehun had more on his mind than he’d opted for. Namjoo’s reply was quite the throw off. He hadn’t expected a yes or no, but now he was pondering over how clean his house was. Had he vacuumed recently? He had been too caught up with other worldly necessities to remember. Joomi had brought unnecessary grocery yesterday, so he shouldn’t worry about food. Should he buy something for Moowon? And dinner. What should he cook for dinner?

These thoughts bombarded him the entire day until he arrived back at the daycare. Subconsciously searching the parking lot as he made his way to the building. Moowon was still inside he noted. Gunta was nearby having the fun of his life toppling over a tower of bricks with a toy car.

“Gunta,” Sehun called out, “lets go.”

His son blinked at him. “Moowon?”

Lifting his son up, Sehun promised, “He can come, too, but later with his mommy.”

“Why?” Gunta blinked curiously.

“Because,” Sehun started, “you still want to play with him, don’t you?”

“Yes!” Gunta loudly answered.

Ruffling his hair, Sehun nodded toward a staff member before bending down to talk to Moowon. “I’ll see you later, ok?”

“Ok, bye,” Moowon glanced at him then returned to his coloring sheet.

Hurrying out to his car, Sehun buckled Gunta into his seat then drove home. Letting Gunta down before he quickly picked up around the house. He hadn’t had any guests over except his parents and Joomi. The only thing alike his and Namjoo’s home were the children’s drawings hanging on the refrigerator. Unlike her wood paneled home his was more simplistic with neutral tones. Beige walls. A photo here and there. Plain kitchen with some stains. Six-foot tall bookshelf stuffed with various books and photo albums. Magazines stacked atop the lined books which he never went through anymore.

Opening the storage closet Sehun pulled out the broom and swept swiftly. Stuffing the broom back inside he stood in the center of his house looking around. The faded curtains were wide open. Late afternoon sunlight swam into his home shining a gold ray over the white linoleum floors. In the evenings they reflected the yellow beams from the indoor lights.

Gunta was sitting on the edge of the couch kicking his feet singing along to baby shark on the TV. Right beside him was a box of animal figurines he’d picked up for Moowon.

The doorbell chimed. He headed to open the door feeling somewhat jittery. Anxiety shifted through him. He tried not to wallow in it. Persuaded himself to feel normal about this, but fact was…he felt very different about opening the door for Namjoo and her son.

Was he nervous? Tense? What would she say about his place? People always made remarks when they visited for the first time. Would she notice the stains on his counter?

As the door caked open Gunta ran up clutching onto his pants to peer up at their guests. For once, Moowon held tightly onto his mother’s hand and stared up at him. Her son clearly recognized him, but he was guarded as if afraid about something.

“Uh…it felt weird coming empty handed,” Namjoo explained the flowers in her hand.

“Auntay, auntay! Me, me!” Gunta called for attention.

“Ok, you can have them,” Namjoo smiled handing him the flowers.

“Be careful with them, ok?” Sehun told Gunta as he let them in. “I bought Moowon some toys. They can play with it in the meantime.”

“Isn’t that nice?” Namjoo spoke to her son, hand on his back. Mute, Moowon stayed glued to her. “You should thank him.”

Without looking at him Moowon nodded. Leaning further into her he said, “I want daddy.”

He and Namjoo glanced at each other. Awkwardly smiling she excused, “I think he’s a little moody.”

“Then,” Sehun suggested, “why don’t you stay for a bit until he feels better?”

“Oh, well…” her eyes darted to the side.

“I was going to make something for Gunta to eat. I could make some extra for Moowon.”

Namjoo glanced down at Moowon still clinging onto her hand, appearing upset now. “Then, for a bit.”

Rolling up his sleeves he went into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and pulled out some beef sticks. He hesitated, staring at the variety of food in his fridge then glanced back to see Namjoo sitting on the couch with her son and Gunta. She was showing Moowon the toys he’d bought though Gunta was obviously more interested.

In the blur of a moment, as if she’d sensed him watching she glanced over. His heart lurched. Worried that she had magically read the things on his mind he abruptly asked, “Would you like something to eat, too?”

Then the doorbell rang.


***uh-oh Moowon's protecting his daddy's spot