月光。

Moon.
Please log in to read the full chapter

The moon has always been meant to be alone from the start, despite the earth neighbouring him, nearly holding his hand. All he could do was stare at it, showing it several faces of himself, breathtaking yet never the genuine one. Worried that his weaknesses will make him less acceptable, or less admirable.

Xukun could clearly hear Zhengting's laugh echoes the room as Minghao and Linong animatedly narrate their adventures on the theme park, Chengcheng's misfortunes, Linkai's screaming and how Zhangjing and Yanjun were regretting ever bringing the four of them along in their little field trip. For Xukun who never really had the time to have fun, it felt so foreign- All he ever knew was to be buried in words and numbers and theories that nobody normally understands.

He always longed for a friendship like that. A friendship that lets him say what he feels, a friendship that isn't for the benefit of one or both sides, a friendship created not because they were forced but fated. Longing for a strong bond that will never break.

He knew he should be content of what he has- All these books, proud praises from everyone, people envying him of his capabilities- telling him how they wanted to be him so badly.

So perfect, so beautiful. That was Cai Xukun, a genius in maths, arts and sciences, able to speak English fluently and more. But why is it that when they speak of him, those few things about him would be the only things that come up? Why do they only remember him for being so brilliant and excellent, not for being so gentle, kind, or helpful?

To others, it might feel like it's a blessing if they could be him for a day but for Cai Xukun, it's just lonely, knowing that in the galaxy of stars, he's nothing more than the earth's lonely moon, revolving around it as it revolves around the sun.

The sun has always been bright especially when he smiles, soft, gentle voice whispering words that sound a lot like encouragement to go with it. Voice travelling lightyears and lightyears away, reaching out to everyone, from the shining stars, the liveliest and loneliest of the planets, to all the places in the vast universe, both known and unknown, to the brightest and darkest. Reaching out to the lonely moon revolving ever so slowly, gently reminding him that he's never alone, not when he's around, not when his brightness will lead the way.

"Xukun," He calls, waving at him as he passes by. "Hello." Greeting him with a toothy smile and his sweet, sweet voice, gesturing him to sit beside him like he's known him forever. He follows, replying back with a smile on his face and sitting beside the said man. Zhengting stretches his hand out for a handshake. "Zhengting. Remember? We're classmates in a few subjects." His smile doesn't fade despite the awkward vibe starting to surround them. "I've always wanted to be friends with you- I mean, if that's okay with you."

Zhengting was adored for things Xukun wasn't- For his pretty almond eyes and smile that infects the whole place, his cotton candy voice that sounds so, so sweet, his captivating dances and the beautiful arcs his body creates when he does. Graceful, light, beautiful.

He doesn't know how he'd respond to Zhengting. He longs for somebody, yet why is it that now he's being offered company- friendship, he has doubts? Why does he fret about something he yearns for the most?

It took him a while before he manages to reply an "Okay," Reciprocating the handshake. "Friends."

Since then, Zhengting's been a part of his life. The only person who witnessed that there's more to him than the genius they labelled him as. That Cai Xukun is just a human that laughs and cries just like them. That he also faces hardships and that he worries a lot about him and his future.

They were both breathtaking to the earth, except the warm vibe was just a lot more pleasing than the coldness, the darkness, the loneliness that the night brings- That the moon might be beautiful, but it was never able to light the sky up unlike the sun.

They always wished the day would be longer, so they could do more things. Enjoy a lot more activities without ever worrying about what happens in the dark.

Without ever feeling the quiet loneliness that the moon would bring.

And Zhu Zhengting is human too. Hiding behind his ethereal smiles was the pressure of the expectations that he has to uphold. Xukun thought he's had it easy, that like a true sun, he didn't have any problems shining.

Not knowing the sun is also lonely, being so close, yet so far.

After finding out, the moon wants to whisper back the same exact words the sun would always whisper. Voice travelling lightyears and lightyears away, reaching out to everyone, from the shining stars, the liveliest and loneliest of the planets, to all the places in the vast universe, both known and unknown, to the brightest and darkest. Reaching out to the lonely moon revolving ever so slowly, gently reminding him that he's never alone, not when he's around. That he will keep him company, no matter how far- how different he is from him.

How lucky are the planets that seem so distant yet are only a fingertip away from him?

How lucky are the stars that are able to shine so brightly beside him?

He thinks that he's lucky that he's able to meet Zhengting. That he got the chance to meet the sun.

Listening to the sun, both rosy and words that bring tears to its eyes. All he could offer is his shoulders as he listens to each and every word.

The moon is happy. A company that he's been longing for a long, long time, embracing him despite the coldness that surrounds him. Silently humming, his light gently caressing his face, sharing his brilliance with him, kissing him softly, whispering rosy words, confessing his adoration for him, admiring him both in his darkest and brightest moments. Comforting him and drying his tears with the warmth that radiates from him.

It just happened- like it was just a natural occurrence that their once friendly smiles were something else, that their hellos sound a little different from how it was a while ago, that their hands find each other's so easily.

A friendship that blossomed into something more, few people that once only knew him by name now knows and admires him for who he is.

The moon doesn't feel so lonely anymore.

There were no questions, quietly moving along the tide. It

Please log in to read the full chapter