Final

Sword to my Honour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sword to my Honour

 

 

 

 

War is upon them. The old king listens to his ministers as they talk about the plans and strategies to win the war. It is a must win war for them. Their country is at stake and its people. The king turns to look at his Princes; the elder Prince is in a deep thought. Prince Kris is the best warrior in the whole nation and the battalion of soldiers is under him. The lines between Kris’s eyes don’t send any assurance to the King. The old King sighs again and one of his minsters speaks, “We are winning this war. The priest in the temple saw an eagle flying with a snake it its mouth.”

 

 

 

Prince Kris scoffs, “We are going to plan this war with a sighting of an eagle with a snake?” Beside him the younger Prince stares into space. Prince Sehun shares a look with the King and Prince Kris stands, moving to the middle of the room. Two rows of ministers grow silent when Prince Kris stands in the middle, giving them a stare. “There are ships of soldiers on our waters and here you people are just taking it lightly. I can’t win the war myself! A sighting of an eagle with a serpent won’t win us the war!”

 

 

 

“Kris… What do you suggest?” The King speaks, looking at his elder son. Prince Kris is well known for his sword wielding, battle skills. They had won many battles with his skills and the King believes that this time too, Prince Kris will bring glory. “We fight.” The Prince answers and all the ministers cheers. They would fight with their lives for the nation.

 

 

 

 

The King calls the Princes for a private meeting an hour later. Prince Sehun is the first to arrive and he is unusually silent. The Young Prince is always chatty and bright but this time the King notices the worry and tension on the Prince’s face. In this war too, the young prince is called to join the battle. “You will be fine, Sehun.” The King says, understanding the younger prince’s worry. Prince Sehun looks up to his father with a glum expression, “My sword skill is terrible.”

 

 

“But your archery skill is the best in the kingdom, brother.” Kris’s voice resounds in the huge chamber, making the King smile. The King loves how the elder prince would always be there to make the younger prince feel better. The younger one pouts at his brother. The elder Prince joins the younger around the work table; there are papers of deals and a handmade chess set on the table. The king works on his plans with the chess and this time, the old king stares at the chess piece in doubt. There are no winning moves.

 

 

“Father…” Prince Kris calls and the King looks up to his elder son, “I believe this war will end peacefully…” The King speaks. The King is known for his sixth sense and wisdom. Whatever the King feels and plans will come to glory and this time too; it gives hope to both the princes. “But it comes with a heavy price.”

 

 

 

 

 

--//--

 

 

 

 

The ground trembles as an army of 190,000 moves as if a single being. It’s symphony of steps with each perfectly aligned with the one next to it. The front is led by eager foot soldiers armed with swords, shields and pikes. They're followed by foot soldiers armed with spears and large shields, which in turn are followed by elite soldiers on horseback.

 

 

Prince Kris and Prince Sehun stands on their ground, in their armour with an army of 150,000 soldiers. They lead cavalry armed with bows, shields and swords, which in turn are followed by elite foot soldiers armed with two swords. The ranks are filled with many other regiments, including allied soldiers, as well as slave soldiers and different types of archery units.

 

 

Despite lacking in the number of men, the two princes stand tall and proud as three men walks towards them. Prince Kris recognizes them, tilting towards the younger prince, “That is the elder Prince Siwon, the middle one is the commander and the last one is their second prince, Prince Kai.” Prince Sehun keeps his eyes fixed on their armour. The armour has a flat top helm with two oval holes leaving the eyes minimally exposed. The shoulders are rounded, quite short and small in size. They're decorated with masterfully crafted layers of metal in the shape of dragon scales.

 

 

Prince Kris fixes his sword and moves forward with the younger prince behind him. Prince Kris has two swords on his sides and Prince Sehun has his loyal bow and arrow. The Princes meet the other Princes in the middle of the battleground. The king watches from above the palace with Princess Luna; Prince Kris’s wife and their eighteen months old boy.

 

 

Prince Sehun notices how they didn’t shake hands like how usually his brother would do. This is a war and the soldiers in front of them are enemies, wanting to take over their city. “What do you suggest mighty Prince?” The enemy prince asks, and the two other chuckles in confidence. Prince Sehun makes an eye contact with the second prince through his head gear. Sehun holds his own head gear tightly. It clings against his metal armour and his heart beats nervously. This isn’t the first time he’s at battle but this is the first battle where their city is at stake. Sehun watches the elder Prince Siwon talking to his brother sarcastically; confident in their strength to win the battle.

 

 

“We are not putting our country at stake.” Prince Kris answers, flexing his jaw. Prince Sehun looks up to his taller brother and admires his brother wholeheartedly. The enemy prince chuckles, so does their commander, “We are here to win something… and it is yet to be decided.”

 

 

“Which fool fires a war without purposes?” Kris roars and Sehun believes it is the wrong move. The sun is shining so brightly and he has to blink his eyes several times to clear his view. His brother’s anger didn’t seem to scare the enemy, they look more relaxed. “We are armies, and war is what we do…”

 

 

“Let’s not make this stupidity of yours result to the death of thousands of innocents.” Kris suggests, moving to stand in front of Sehun. Prince Siwon smirks happily, understanding the change of plans and he nods. However, before Prince Siwon could agree to fight one to one with Kris, the second prince interrupts. He whispers into Prince Siwon’s ears and Sehun widens his eyes when their eyes meet. Kris seems to be on guard too.

 

 

 

“Well… well… Let this fight be between the younger princes.”

 

 

Sehun swallows, looking at his brother. He turns around to look at his father in the palace. Kris sends him a look and leans in to bump their foreheads together. “Give your best brother,” Kris whispers and Sehun could feel his heart breaking.

 

 

“Decide now… What’s at stake?” Kris asks, tightening the straps of Sehun’s armour. He takes the head gear from Sehun’s hand. The enemy prince who he is supposed to fight looks ready, with his sword in his hand.

 

 

Prince Siwon keeps his eyes on Sehun, “If he loses…” Sehun swallows, feeling the tension in the air – or is it just him, “He will follow us back as Prince Kai’s husband.”

 

 

 

His brother stares in to the enemy Prince’s eyes for some time and turns to look at him. Sehun wants to hug his brother, tell the elder Prince to help him out of this mess but deep down Sehun knows; this is the battleground honour. He must adhere to it no matter what. Prince Kris seems to understand the younger prince’s look and he turns to face Sehun, "You think of your sword… his sword and nothing else." Sehun nods to his brother's advice and puts on his head gear.

 

 

 

--//--

 

 

 

 

Sehun grips Kris’s sword tightly, looking at the other prince’s legs to study his movements. His head is messed up but he has to keep his focus on winning. He must win. He cannot lose and follow someone unknown and be tied with forced relationship. He doesn’t even know how Prince Kai is; worst he doesn’t know how the prince he’s fighting looks like. Sehun brings his sword in attempt to block the hit and moves away, blocking another hit. It almost got his arm and this time Sehun uses his arrow to help him attack the other prince. Sehun feels confident when the other prince is surprised with the arrow, almost cutting the stomach open. With a sword on one hand and an arrow on the other, Sehun inches forward to attack. He should not be defending, he should fight. This time the enemy aims for his arrow and Sehun is quick to replace the broken arrow.

 

 

Prince Kai takes another sword from his sides and swings both swords in his hands, jumping into the air to attack down on Sehun. This time Sehun uses the sword to safe himself. The metal clicks and clings. One of the prince’s swords slashes his leg and Sehun hisses in pain, limping to stop. The other prince stands and watches; finally removing his iron helmet,

 

 

Sehun limps, standing upright and gets in stance to attack once again. Prince Kai’s throws his helmet away and smirks. He throws one sword down and runs to elbow Sehun on the shoulder. The Prince winces falling on his knees but is quick enough to use his arrow to plunge through Prince Kai’s leg. The confident prince falls on the ground, with Sehun’s arrow in his leg. Sehun breathes normally, thinking that he has the chance to win the fight but to his horror, the prince pulls out the arrow and throws it towards Sehun. Sehun stares at the dripping blood and rushes to grab the sword on the ground.

 

 

He groans when Prince Kai kicks his hand and leans down to take the sword. He is also limping and they stand on one leg, aiming for each other again. The smirk is still there and Sehun plans for counterattacks.

 

 

Sehun forwards to attack the prince, aiming his sword to the prince’s torso but to his own surprise, the skilled prince avoids the hit and kicks Sehun to the ground. Sehun kneels on the ground, quickly standing back up to counter attack but the other Prince has him in a arm lock, tightening his hold as Sehun moves,

 

 

Sehun chokes and coughs, losing his breath. He blinks his eyes, injured legs kicking the sand and he finds his brother, Prince Kris in view. Sehun taps the arm around his neck and the enemy prince releases his hold. Sehun lies flat on the ground, chest heaving up and down in speed and he takes in as much air as he can. At the same time, a realization gets into his system; he lost the fight.

 

 

 

 

 

--//--

 

 

 

Sehun stares into the vast sea, sailing on an unknown ship. As promised, Sehun is now following the enemies back. His brother had hugged him tightly, assuring him about things he has no idea off, telling him things about the other nation and reminding him that he saved the whole nation from being destroyed. Sehun’s lips quiver at the thought. He saved his nation, but he lost himself.

 

 

He overhears some sailors’ conversations and grips the wooden railing, pretending to look at the dragon shaped figurehead. They talk about the welcoming party and how the princes would enjoy themselves as usual with wine, meat and women. Sehun swallows, looking into the blue sea. He leans forward when he spots something underneath the ship. It’s a dolphin he believes. He leans more, moving to the side as the dolphin seems to swim right under the figurehead and when he finally gets a proper view,

 

 

“Prince,” Sehun is pulled back and he widens his eyes. Prince Kai is looking at him in full concern, holding onto his arm lightly but protectively. Sehun tries not to feel anything about it after what he has heard from the sailors. “What are you doing?” Prince Kai asks, giving Sehun a look over. Sehun turns around and ignores the prince. The enemy prince joins him at the side. Sehun sighs when the dolphin is nowhere to be found.

 

 

“How’s your leg?” Sehun hears the other prince. He shifts his gaze to his bandaged leg and focuses back on the sea. The enemy physician had treated him immediately after he was brought to the ship. They gave him a bath, new clothes and treated his wounds. “Better…” Sehun answers, not bothering if the other prince could hear him. Sehun sneakily glances at Prince Kai’s legs and scowls. The other prince is still wearing his bloody, torn pants.

 

 

Prince Kai chuckles softly, noticing the other prince’s grimace. He takes a moment to admire Prince Sehun’s beauty. It is surreal for someone to be as beautiful as Prince Sehun. If he had met the prince in another situation, he would have courted the beautiful prince with honour. Prince Kai feels bad for Sehun who is in this situation unexpectedly. “I didn’t have anything clean to wear for time being.” The prince informs the scowling prince. Prince Sehun throws him a grimacing glance, “How is that?” Sehun says with a scoff.

 

 

Prince Kai chuckles, leaning against the wooden railing and he keeps his eyes on the beautiful prince, “Since I gave mine to you…”

 

 

Sehun reddens, not meeting Kai’s gaze. He didn’t expect to be wearing Prince Kai’s attire. He didn’t think the Prince would lend him clothes, “I told the physician to give you my clothes…”

 

 

“Why is that?” Sehun asks, voice getting lower into whispers. He wishes for the sea to swallow his attraction. Kai is an enemy. “You… You caught my interest in a battle of power with love…”

 

 

Sehun watches Prince Kai leave when Prince Siwon calls and Sehun is left standing with his own thoughts and the waves. Prince Kai couldn’t mean what he said and Sehun tries not to fall for it. It could be a trap of feelings; make him comfortable and wreck him. He is by means their trophy and he would be Kai’s trophy prince. Real emotions and feeling are not possible with just a short period of time.

 

 

Sehun heads back to the main cabin. His body is aching and the thought of his own chamber and bed is making him miss his family a lot more. Kris would be with him now, teasing him, laughing about the minor wound. Sehun feels tears b in his eyes as he passes by a few soldiers on his way to the chamber and they send him a look. By the time he reaches the room, leaning against the closed door, the tear rolls down his eyes. His lips tremble and he muffles his sobs in his palm. All the pain and trouble in his heart flows out through his eyes,

 

 

“Prince Sehun…” Sehun turns to the voice, surprised to see Prince Kai in the chamber, sitting by the worktable with a few papers in his hand. “Is everything alright?” he questions, getting up to make his way towards Sehun.

 

 

Sehun shakes his head, massaging his temples, “I am tired…” he answers, avoiding the other prince’s worried gaze. Sehun heads towards the bed when Prince Kai tells him to freely use the bed, “Make yourself comfortable Prince… Please let us know if you need anything.”

 

 

“Why are you treating me nicely?” Sehun whispers, sitting by the bed, staring at the bandage on his leg. He can see Prince Kai walking to his side through his lashes and the prince kneels down, “What do you mean?” Prince Kai asks, looking at the sad prince on the bed. He wishes to hold the prince’s hands and comfort the other but he is not sure if he could; if the prince would allow him.

 

 

“You know what I mean… You won me over a battle, I am a…”

 

“Where are you getting such ideas from?” Prince Kai asks, kneeling closer to the other prince. Sehun looks up to meet the other prince in the eyes. He notices how the prince is shirtless, kneeling in front of him with the most affectionate eyes. The prince in front of him isn’t the one he met at the battlefield. “What do you want me to think?” Sehun asks, lips quivering once again, heart caving in and his stomach coils in unknown emotions. “I never wanted to be forced into marriage… and now I am in this situation, with someone who is…was an enemy.” Sehun ruffles his hair, pressing his head where it hurts and looks at Prince Kai, hoping the prince would understand him.

 

 

“I know Siwon said you are to follow us back as my husband…” Kai speaks, sighing a little. He stands up and joins Prince Sehun on the bed and leans back on his hands, eyes fixed on the beautiful prince. “Trust me, that is the safest option. Siwon made a surprising decision but I understand why he did that…”

 

 

“Why?”

 

 

“If not… you will be treated like slave by the soldiers and I don’t think I will able to see you in such situation.”

 

 

 

 

--//--

 

 

 

 

Sehun stares at the ship’s miniature on the table. Lying flat on the bed, Sehun could feel the ship moving along to the waves. ‘Slave’; the word rings in his head like a bell.  Price Siwon had saved Sehun’s honour by tying him to Prince Kai. Prince Kai has been nice and accommodating ever since he stepped foot on the ship. The hard bed under him sends pricks to his back yet Sehun is thankful for the comfortable place to lie on. The prince had allowed Sehun to use the bed while he is out of the chamber to meet his brother. The door to the chamber open with a creak and Sehun shifts his gaze, Prince Kai enters, locking his eyes with Sehun, “I thought you would be asleep.”

 

 

Sehun says nothing but he keeps an eye on the prince. “Would you have meal here or we can join Siwon in his chamber?” Sehun weighs Prince Kai’s options; he wants to keep himself locked but his values are telling him to show respect to the highest in command, “Let’s dine together…”

 

 

Prince Kai smiles brightly, walking towards the bed. He makes himself comfortable, sitting on the bed and flinches when he notices Sehun’s discomfort, “I would give you space…” Prince Kai states smiling sheepishly, “But since there’s only one bed here and I need to straighten my back… I am throwing my values away…”

 

 

Prince Sehun scoffs, shifting slightly to give the Prince some space, “Thank you…” Prince Kai says and lies next to the beautiful prince. “Don’t worry Prince… I will not jump on you…”

 

 

“That’s assuring…” Sehun mumbles, closing his eyes to rest them. He hears the other prince laughing next to him and a tap on his shoulder, “We should be friends prince…”

 

 

Sehun opens his eyes, turning to look at Prince Kai. The prince is lying on his side, looking at Sehun, “I don’t want us to be uncomfortable around each other…” Sehun shifts his gaze from the prince to the space in between them. He truly understands what the prince means and he really wishes to be comfortable but his heart isn’t allowing him to be comfortable yet,

 

 

“We will eventually be married… Not immediately but we will… I will speak to father about it, give you some time… give us some time,”

 

“Prince…” Sehun speaks, taking a deep breath. “I wish to be myself… I wish to be comfortable but believe me… I am being cautious.”

 

 

“I understand Sehun….” Kai whispers a soft sorry, “Prince…”

 

 

 

Sehun smiles over the prince’s mistake, “Its okay…”

 

 

 

 

 

--//--

 

 

 

 

Prince Siwon’s chamber is nothing like Prince Kai’s. It’s bigger and spacious with a huge comfortable bed, long dining table, a bath space and a worktable. Sehun’s stomach growls when he eyes the food on the table. He joins Prince Kai, sitting next to him and the prince sends him a smile. “We don’t usually eat this much after battle…” Sehun sends the other a look, “Why?” Sehun wants to tell the other of what Kris and him would do but he keeps the information to himself.

 

 

“Normally our food stock would finish during battle…”

 

 

Sehun keeps his mouth shut. This was an easy battle, easy win. He stands to greet Prince Siwon when the other walks over to his chair and the prince sends Sehun a smile. He notices the dimple on the prince’s stubble cheeks. “Are you rested, Prince?” Siwon asks, dismissing the sailor who tries to serve. “Yes… Prince Kai had been very accommodating.”

 

 

Sehun eyes the meat in the middle of the table, wondering if it’s what he thinks it is, “That’s ostrich meat…” Sehun widens his eyes when Prince Kai whispers into his ears and he catches Prince Siwon’s teasing gaze, “Looking friendly already brother…”

 

 

Sehun feels heat creeping up his neck and he stares at the food in his plate, “Friends we are…” Prince Kai answers with a chuckle and the brothers invites Sehun to dine comfortably. Sehun tries the ostrich meat that he was eyeing and he grimaces at how chewy it is. Unconsciously, he makes faces and pushes the meat to the corner of the plate and glances up when he realizes how silent the chamber is,

 

 

“You don’t like it?” Prince Siwon asks and Prince Kai has his eyes fixed at Sehun. Sehun began to feel uncomfortable, worried that he offended the prince. “This is the first time I tried ostrich meat…” Sehun mumbles apologetically. “It’s okay Sehun…” Kai says, taking the meat from Sehun’s plate. Sehun frowns, eyeing the meat which is now in Kai’s plate. This has never happened to him, someone eating his leftover without any doubt. When he was younger, he used to eat from Kris, his brother feeding him from one same plate but as he grew older, he learnt the ethics and is told to never eat anyone’s left over.  

 

 

“We will reach the city in one night…” Prince Siwon starts, telling the younger prince. Kai listens, nodding along and time to time replies with suggestions. Sehun hears everything with each bite. Prince Kai will have to announce to the soldiers, have them pack up and clean the armours. Prince Siwon says it is best they finish their work here on the ship since all of them are well and fine. “Is there anything I can do?” Sehun whispers out, taking the wine glass.

 

 

Kai shares a look with Siwon and hums, “You can help me out prince…”

 

 

“Yes… Just stay with Kai… and do what you can. It is best for you to stick with Kai until the official ceremonial announcement is made by the King.” Prince Siwon says and a weight is lifted from Sehun’s chest.

 

 

 

--//--

 

 

 

Sehun hears the horns blaring and the princes gestures Sehun to lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter