❀ Hide and seek

Sea of two
Please log in to read the full chapter

9 Hide and seek

◇─◇──◇────◇────◇────◇

 

The forest was silent.

 

Not a soul could be heard in the vastness of trees that covered most of the mountains and hills. Its canopy was reigned by hemlock and giant conifers, which had their roots tangled all over the mushy soil and beneath Yeojin's feet. A soft wind blew across the girl's face as she clumsily climbed on a huge rock to get to the other side of a small dried brook. She could have just walked through it, but Yeojin liked adventure so she did her best to make everything more interesting and exciting, such as imagining that the water was still running.

 

Her head snapped to the side as a voice in the distance suddenly called out to her. “Yeojin baby don't go too far or you'll get lost!” It was her mother again, checking on her to make sure she didn't get too far. Yeojin pouted. She could understand the woman's worry, but she wasn't a baby anymore. She could take care of herself. And beside, the girl realized she was closer to her family's area than she thought, which made her slightly disappointed that she didn't get to explore that much.

 

“Don't worry, I'm over here!” Yeojin shouted and let out a sigh after finally getting to the other side of the brook.

 

Rubbing her palms she took a good look around, searching for something that might catch her eye. She noticed the trees were all the same, tall and crowded everywhere, making it almost impossible to tell where does one start and where it ends. Their branches were also very large, some thin, some thicker, yet strangely more defoliated than the trees at the opposite area of the forest. Other than some brown mushrooms grown in small rows along occasional spots here and there, nothing in particular stood out to her and so Yeojin went over to sit on a very old looking tree trunk.

 

She was deep in thought as her foot lazily played with a small rock on the ground and didn't realize that the voices of her parents and her uncle were long gone. What she thought would be an incredible adventure turned out to be nothing less than a pack of boring, dull looking trees and a humid soil which had turned into mud in certain areas probably because of the rain that fell some days before. The soft wind that surrounded the place was getting slightly stronger, and again blew at the girl's pouty face, almost as if encouraging her to keep searching, to keep looking.

 

But Yeojin was already pretty much resigned to that idea and thought it was best to turn back anyway before getting lost. She would just go the way she came from to walk along the main path with her family, even if that meant hearing boring stories from her uncle about the times he used to be young and explore the mountains. His stories were actually really fascinating to hear when she was little, but not as much when she grew up. Probably because now that she was not a child anymore she wanted to have her own adventures to tell.

 

“Too bad special things don't happen to me...” Yeojin caught herself saying almost in a whisper as she was almost back at the dried brook. An overly dramatic sigh escaped as she stepped right through it this time, not caring anymore about the fantasy world she tried to recreate in the real world. It was stupid anyway, to believe that forests were interesting places people liked talking about in their stories. They were probably all fake or taken out of proportion just for the sake of impressing people. Especially when it came to tourists and visitors.

 

Yeojin knew better than to believe every word the elders down at the village spoke. That's probably why her mother was

Please log in to read the full chapter