Chapter 39 - Real Dreams

4D: Book of Friendship

3rd Person’s POV

[Sae Young Academy of Arts…January 14, 20XX]

Jeril sat inside the principal’s office, waiting for her mother who was still in the middle of a meeting. She was going to talked about her father’s decision, they weren’t able to talk about it for the past days because Mrs. Jeon is busy with her work, graduation is coming up.

It’s only two months before their graduation and Jeril is happy that she’s still with her group. Who would have thought that Jeon Jeril would actually graduate with a group? Ironic.

“J?” a voice she knows too well interrupted her thoughts. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m supposed to ask you that question. Did you forgot this is my mother’s office, oppa?

“Not at all.” Ivan chuckled and took a seat in the chair infront of Jeril. “I’m here to ask a favor from aunt Chiyori. And I was actually hoping that you weren’t here to hear it.”

“If it’s something evil, don’t bother.”

“It’s something about you, Jeril.”

“What do you mean?” before he could answer, the door opened and her mother entered. She was shocked to see Jeril, but wasn’t when her eyes landed on Ivan. What…the hell?

“You didn’t told me you’re visiting, J.”

“It took a lot of convincing for me to be here, mom.”

“Must be pretty important, then. Care to tell me why you’re here?”

“I need your support.” Jeril said directly, and the two other people in the room actually looked surprise at her request. “I’m going to need your help when I tell dad my decision.”

“Oh…” Ivan unconsciously muttered, causing Jeril to look at him questioningly. “I…uhh…I’m actually here to ask for the same favor. I wanted aunt Chiyori to help you out with dad.”

“YOU WHAT?” Jeril exclaimed, not believing what she’s hearing.

“He’s telling the truth, Jeril. He told me about it before coming here.”

“But…” Jeril stuttered, looking incredulous at her half-brother. “Why? Are you planning an evil scheme again? Is this a part of your plan? I know you don’t do this out of kindness.”

“Yeah, I don’t. But no matter what happens, you’re still my sister. I’m not going to just sit here and watch you risk your life in a gang fight, Jeril.” that actually made her laugh.

“You literally watched me get beaten up by your gang months ago.”

“I’ve changed. I apologize for what I did before, so let me make it up to you.”

“Your sorry couldn’t bring anything back, oppa. It most certainly can’t bring my trust.”

“Just hear me out, sis.” it was unusual for Ivan to acknowledge their relationship so Jeril is taken aback. “I’m going to help you, cause I know what your real dreams are. It’s…4D.”

There was a moment of hesitation and Jeril wondered if Ivan actually knows something else. But the pleading looks he’s giving Jeril only tells one thing, he really wanted to help.

“Give me one reason why you want to genuinely help me.”

“I did a lot of bad things in the past, this is the first step of redemption.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were sitting in the Jeon’s mansion, waiting for Mr. Jeon to arrive. Jeril’s mom had called for a family dinner where Jeril would have a chance to tell her father about her real dreams. And to encourage her, Mrs. Jeon and Ivan was there for her.

She still doesn’t trust her brother, but thought about giving him a chance. She, herself, had managed to changed, so maybe Ivan had really changed himself and still trying to.

“Don’t worry, J. Your dad’s favorite child, he won’t harm you.”

“Your father wouldn’t harm you too, you know that.”

“I know, aunt. I was just cheering Jeril up.”

Mrs. Jeon gave her stepson a small smile and listened as footsteps approached the dining table. Their father appeared and gave them a nod of aknowledgement before sitting down.

“So, why are we suddenly having this family dinner out of nowhere?”

“Because I haven’t see you in a very long time, yeobo.” it was a fun sight to see the yakuza boss gulped in fear when it comes to his wife. “But also because J has something to say.”

“Lj?” then, he faced Jeril. “What is it, Little Jeon? Are you backing out?” and he couldn’t be more wrong. With a deep breath, Jeril looked straight at her father’s eyes and nodded.

“Yes, dad. I’m backing out from your decision, I want to stay here.” saying her father was shock would be an understatement, but she still continued. “I know I told you I hate dancing and singing before, but I came to love it now. Cause I’ve finally found a reason to…”

Everyone had stopped eating now, but Mr. Jeon was still holding unto his spoon and fork as he processed what his daughter is trying to say to him. It was the first time Jeril rebelled.

“I love to be an idol because of my group, they gave me a reason why I should stay. And I want you to respect my decision, dad. I’m terribly sorry for disappointing you.”

Mr. Jeon finally put the utensils down but continued staying silent as he stared at Jeril. It made the girl nervous, being unable to identify what her father is currently thinking.

But then, out of nowhere, her father chuckled and leaned back at his seat.

“You’ve finally stood up for yourself, you’re getting better. I’m proud of you, Lj.”

“Wait, what?” Jeril’s mind started loading, processing the words one by one. “Eeehhh?”

“What you’re thinkin is right, I’ve always waited how you would stand up for yourself. And now that you’ve shown it to me, I could tell that you really are a Jeon. So, I’m proud…”

“Let me guess this straight, dad.” at the side, Ivan whispered something along ‘that you’re not’ but she ignored it. “You did that on purpose to see what I would do about it?”

“That’s right. Your mom updates me about this 4D group, and I wanted to see for myself.”

“You and mom played me?” Mrs. Jeon giggled. “How about oppa?” Ivan shook his head.

“I didn’t know about their plan, I swear. I was being honest to you earlier, trust me.”

“He really doesn’t know, Lj.” Mr. Jeon assured. “But he did told me how you treasure your group and wouldn’t stop gushing about how talented you guys are--”

“I wasn’t gushing.” Ivan interrupted but their father hushed him.

“Anyways, I wanted to see you guys perform. Next week, at my meeting.”

“But wouldn’t a performance ruin a political meeting, especially with police forces.”

“A little entertainment won’t hurt, so you guys starts preparing and amazed me. Then, that is when I’ll allow you to totally stay here in Korea and achieve you dream, understood?”

“Sir, yes, sir.” Jeril saluted.

“Good. That’s my girl.”

=======================================================================

You thought all parents are bad, didn’t you? Wrong! Mr. Jeon is cool. He just looks scary, but he’s a cool guy. And he’s afraid of his wife, so that’s bonus manly points. HAHAHA.